school and kids

pixeemom

DIS Veteran
ok need some advice please..........surprise surprise my husband actually asked me if I want to really go to Disney, after he swore up and down he was DONE......so now we are thinking of going during the jewish holidays in Sept. I would only have to take the kids out of school for three days, THIS IS A FIRST FOR ME I never ever took them out during school days at this age (12/11/10/8 yrs old) I am extremely nervous since ToniAnn will be going into the 8th grade and Paul will just be starting 6th grade in the NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL........please someone talk to me tell me if I need to worry..

I think the first thing you need to do is find out EXACTLY what the attendance policy is in your district. Then I would talk to some other parents and see how strictly enforced it is, what their experiences have been with different schools within the district, etc. I think that your idea of going when they miss the least number of days is probably a good idea if you do choose to take them out at all. I would also think about your children's personality, learning style, attitude about school, grades and how they might deal with having to catch up or missing work so close to the beginning of the school year. Some kids will take it in stride, others might get thrown off track (especially maybe the one who is just starting in a new school). I know that my daughter was adamant that she would not miss school for a Disney trip when she was in middle/high school, but she didn't worry about it in elementary school, so you want to take that into account too.

I think the first thing you need to do is find out EXACTLY what the attendance policy is in your district. Then I would talk to some other parents and see how strictly enforced it is, what their experiences have been with different schools within the district, etc. I think that your idea of going when they miss the least number of days is probably a good idea if you do choose to take them out at all. I would also think about your children's personality, learning style, attitude about school, grades and how they might deal with having to catch up or missing work so close to the beginning of the school year. Some kids will take it in stride, others might get thrown off track (especially maybe the one who is just starting in a new school). I know that my daughter was adamant that she would not miss school for a Disney trip when she was in middle/high school, but she didn't worry about it in elementary school, so you want to take that into account too.
Thank you for your help!! I know my oldest would be ok, its just my son who might struggle he has adhd, but I will take your advice and ask around ;) thank you

For me personally, I would not have wanted to be taken out of school during the first month of middle school. There are lots of new kids and lots of things to adjust to and the first month is crucial is really getting used to middle school. It's a really tough time for a lot of kids. The workload is a lot bigger, too. You start learning serious material on the first day, and during the first month of middle school, I still couldn't remember my lock combination or figure out where my classes were. My teachers still were iffy on my name.

So, I wouldn't do it. But, that's just me.

We did it when the kids were in elementary, but three days of middle school would be too much make up work. Now that they are in high school, it's even worse.

My kids just never wanted to miss that much school, especially now that they're in middle and high school. They're good students, never had issues in school. But would totally stress out about missing ANY time away, let alone several days at a time. They just feel it's too hard to keep up and make up all the missed work. So I know our vacations wouldn't be enjoyable, with them worrying about what they're missing. But that's just our family. Each one is different. I'd definitely have a sit-down conversation with each child (preferably alone!) so you can get a real feel for how they feel about it.

First month at a new school is tough, I'd try to do a different (later) time, personally.

My kids are in elementary and preschool and until I'm convinced there is a super compelling reason not to pull them out, I will continue to do so as I see fit. Assignments can be given ahead and while it might suck to do homework binges the weekend before a trip, on a plane or in a hotel at night it is doable.

I think it's terrible if school policies ensure family vacations are expected to only be taken when school is on break; prices are often higher (depends on vacation but flights etc), crowds at popular places are bigger....the net result often is no family vacation in my experience, and that is sad.

Everyone makes very valid points and I think this is why I am very hesitate, usually I would have booked the trip by now but i am still nervous about the whole school thing...I am trying to convince myself its only 3 days there can't be too much they miss but then I think what if......
I will talk with my husband and see if we can try later in the year instead
ack!!!

My DD will be in 8th. I absolutely would not have pulled her out of middle school the first half of the year of 6th grade. She adapted great to the transition from elementary, but it is still quite an adjustment and a whole new world. I did pull my kids out in elementary, but since oldest entered middle school we are sticking with school breaks & summer.

When DD was in 8th grade we pulled her out for a week at Disney. We were celebrating her brothers and hers birthdays in Sept. It happened that my mil passed away about 10 days before our planned trip. So she ended up missing 2 weeks and 1 day in total. Mil lived in Canada so this made for a longer trip. Dd was able to keep up on most of her work, but it got misplaced when we got home so she never handed it in. It made for a rough quarter with 50% in English, but pulled everting back up and passed.

I week is do able, but 2 weeks was too much. We are considering a January trip next year and will pull her out for the week. We only have our kids for a few years of their lives, we need to enjoy it and make great memories.

If it was the end of the year, I'd say go for it. The beginning is tricky - especially with middle school. Our school system has 10 absent days (excused or unexcused doesn't matter, which makes zero sense to me) - we hadn't gotten close to the 10 days this past May, when I thought I'd need to take them out for our vacation due to snow days being made up. Luckily the school board found a different way to make it up, so I didn't have to take them out for a week and risk that many unexcused absences or go through the red tape of trying to get Educational days approved. But at the beginning of the year, cold and flu season hasn't hit yet, you don't know how much they'll be absent, etc. It would make me nervous.

my parents took the 3 of us out of school every single year.
we missed 8 days.
we were all happy to not be in school.
we gave notes to our teachers 2 weeks prior and got our work ahead of time and did it prior to the trip or on the trip.
we never failed a class.
we all graduated high school
we all got college degrees.
personally i see nothing wrong with taking kids out of school att any age to go to disney world.

we missed 8 days.
we gave notes to our teachers 2 weeks prior and got our work ahead of time and did it prior to the trip or on the trip.
we never failed a class.
personally i see nothing wrong with taking kids out of school att any age to go to disney world.

It isn't that simple anymore. You can't just hand in a note to a teacher now. The workload is much more difficult and some teachers I know won't even give you the work until you return from vacation. At my school, we're allowed 5 absences per semester. We have to fill out a form at least two weeks prior with all of our teachers signatures and get it approved by our counselors if we're going to be missing an extended period of time. The workload is so stressful, missing school isn't enjoyable. I missed two days from being sick last year and it took me nearly a week to make up everything, and it was incredibly stressful and time consuming.

It isn't that simple anymore. You can't just hand in a note to a teacher now. The workload is much more difficult and some teachers I know won't even give you the work until you return from vacation. At my school, we're allowed 5 absences per semester. We have to fill out a form at least two weeks prior with all of our teachers signatures and get it approved by our counselors if we're going to be missing an extended period of time. The workload is so stressful, missing school isn't enjoyable. I missed two days from being sick last year and it took me nearly a week to make up everything, and it was incredibly stressful and time consuming.

perhaps thats your experience but not my family's.
my sisters take my nieces/nephew out of school for vacations no problem.
it still works the same was as it always has.
there's no "you can only miss x amount of days per semester".
heck when my one niece was in elementary school her teachers were HAPPY for her to go on trips especially the year she went to china/hawaii and the year she went to england, france, switzerland, and italy.

We pull out for vacations and have never had an issue.

However, even if the schools tried to prohibit it, I would do it anyway. I refuse to allow a school district govern my family decisions. Normally, they are full of hot air and if you stand up to them, they back down. My kids, my decision.

That being said, I have hesitated to schedule early in the year because I feel like it is an important time for everyone. I would definitely talk to your kids.

we missed 8 days.
we never failed a class.

thank you!!!
Everyone makes great points, I will talk to my kids as well to see what they feel and think

We pull out for vacations and have never had an issue.

However, even if the schools tried to prohibit it, I would do it anyway. I refuse to allow a school district govern my family decisions. Normally, they are full of hot air and if you stand up to them, they back down. My kids, my decision.

That being said, I have hesitated to schedule early in the year because I feel like it is an important time for everyone. I would definitely talk to your kids.
yes!! def. !!
good point thank you

It depends on destination as well. Lots of teachers will be happy to give you work in advance if you're going somewhere educational. People who try to get Disney excused as educational these days tend to get laughed at (not without some reason). My dad took me out for an entire semester to go to Europe my sophomore year - my principal was thrilled, my teachers gave me all my work (which they didn't keep up the pace with, so I was ahead of my class for the second semester and had to do no homework once I got home), and my English teacher told me to just keep a journal of the places I visited.

Ultimately, it comes down to whether you want to roll the dice and risk truancy hearings later in the year if they miss too much school the rest of the year. Some people wouldn't bat an eye, others would stress out about it until the end of the school year. Do whatever you think is right for your situation.

It also depends on the kids. My kids wouldn't enjoy Disney at all with the makeup work looming. They also participate in extra curricular activities and sports that meet during the school year. It hasn't been difficult for us to find ample vacation time for our kids (12, 13 ,15 and 17) that fits into their school year.

It also depends on the kids. My kids wouldn't enjoy Disney at all with the makeup work looming. They also participate in extra curricular activities and sports that meet during the school year. It hasn't been difficult for us to find ample vacation time for our kids (12, 13 ,15 and 17) that fits into their school year.
omg i totally forgot about the sports to darn, lol
thank you!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter