• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Saving rows of seats for others in the Walt Disney Theater: Enough Already!!!

The tank top guy jumps up, runs down the row from the other end, and starts SHOVING me out, saying "This row is saved". :scared1:.

I would have knocked his teeth in!! No one should lay hands on you, especially a stranger. That bothers me to no end. The audacity of that fool. :mad:

I've encountered seat savers on my 21st birthday cruise with my friend. It was a family of I'm guessing 8 judging by the amount of seats saved, and they had their 2 boys roughly our age (guessing by the drink in his hand) saving seats. One at the far end of the row, and the other sit 3 seats from the main aisle. (This is near the far right side of the theater to give perspective.) When the closer of the 2 tried to stop us from sitting in the 2 seats nearest the aisle (I like those seats anywaysss) I politely pointed out that he clearly had enough seats to the other side of him, and to bite me. :littleangel: Of course I got the eyeroll from my friend, but he did back down. I guess he's never really had a female speak to him like that. LOL.

Yikes, this worries me a bit, as my DH has Crohn's Disease also and sometimes has to get up and RUN to the restroom. I guess if someone gives me grief about saving his seat, they can deal with him when he gets back from the RR, since he's a 6'4 bodybuilder. ha!

But... but... if no seat saving were a "real" rule, then the CM's would be monitoring and enforcing it.

Ergo, seat saving is perfectly acceptable and those who do it are perfectly within their rights, because it's their cruise and they paid good money for it.

(Viewpoint courtesy of the logic of those posters on the 'Shorts in the MDR's' thread, who were defending their right to wear shorts to dinner, prior to the policy change.)

why- the person who is denied the seat by the person saving it did not pay good money for it??

if no one complains about seat saving to the CM then there is no reason for them to enforce it....granted- i could not find a CM when I encountered my issue, just waiters..

Yikes, this worries me a bit, as my DH has Crohn's Disease also and sometimes has to get up and RUN to the restroom. I guess if someone gives me grief about saving his seat, they can deal with him when he gets back from the RR, since he's a 6'4 bodybuilder. ha!

The problem isn't with ONE seat. The problem is with groups who send in a couple of (usually but not always) kids to save entire rows of usually "prime" theatre real estate.

Instead of belly aching about it after the fact, you should have done something about it. Tell them nicely that seat saving isn't allowed and that you are going to join them Or, if you don't have the courage to do that, get a CM to do it for you.

Otherwise, I'm glad you were able to enjoy your cruise.

Mike

as i stated- i didn't want to be confrontational especially since, in this case, it was a young girl following her parents orders...I did in in fact look for a CM but there were none around...just waiters....

If I encounter a seat saver, I'm going to sit myself down and tell him/her to go get a CM and have them ask me to move. We'll see how that flies. After all, I would have paid good money for those seats and I'm present.

First come, first served.

Most likely you prefer to sit toward the back so that he can make a quick exit (and 6'4"? he probably likes an aisle). Those are my preferred seats (almost all the way back) and we've not had a problem 'saving' one seat while one person finishes shopping or uses the restroom.

Nancy

Most likely you prefer to sit toward the back so that he can make a quick exit (and 6'4"? he probably likes an aisle). Those are my preferred seats (almost all the way back) and we've not had a problem 'saving' one seat while one person finishes shopping or uses the restroom.

Nancy

Good to know! Yes, he always has an aisle seat, to stretch out his legs and not bug people. Glad people won't get ticked if I have to save his seat for using the RR. :thumbsup2

Good to know! Yes, he always has an aisle seat, to stretch out his legs and not bug people. Glad people won't get ticked if I have to save his seat for using the RR. :thumbsup2

He will need to be aware that in some of the shows performers do use the aisles.

I may just be a cranky old senior citizen, but I think when there is a rule it should be honored. It isn't as if there aren't several announcements made before the shows about not saving seats. Plus, it's written in the Navigator. There is no excuse for anyone not to know the policy, and rude not to adhere to it.

On our recent Alaska cruise, there was rampant saving of multiple seats. If it's important for a dozen people to sit together, then they should all arrive together... preferably early enough to find a string of seats to accommodate them. Everyone pays the cruise, and everyone should have the same chance to get a seat of their choice. It's simply not fair to allow people to save seats because their party was too disorganized to all get to the theater at the same time.

If there is a conflict because of some other activity keeping a party from all getting to the theater together, then perhaps they should go to the alternate show. If they miss their dinner seating because of it, then go to casual dining instead. We all have to make choices in life. It's impossible to take part in every activity on board the ship.

The conflicts would end if the Cast Members would simply enforce the written and stated policy about saving seats. It wouldn't be difficult. It's patently obvious who's saving seats, lol.

JMHO

Karen.... Cranky Old Senior Citizen... who was raised to respect the rules!

Disney Theater seat saving rules:

(1) There are no saving of seats in the theater. This is common courtesy, a rule printed on the front page of your Navigator every day, and an announcement made from time to time
(2) If some of you party are running late, please see rule 1
(3) If there are plenty of seats available for others, please see rule 1
(4) If you're entitled to good seating because it's your vacation, please see rule 1
(5) If CMs do not enforce the rule, please see rule 1
(6) If it doesn't hurt anyone, please see rule 1
(7) If everyone else does it, please see rule 1
(8) If your children want to see the characters outside first, please see rule 1
(9) If you have a large party that wants to sit together but arrives at different times, please see rule 1

Hope this helps out!

I may just be a cranky old senior citizen, but I think when there is a rule it should be honored. It isn't as if there aren't several announcements made before the shows about not saving seats. Plus, it's written in the Navigator. There is no excuse for anyone not to know the policy, and rude not to adhere to it.

Karen.... Cranky Old Senior Citizen... who was raised to respect the rules!

wow! follow the rules?!?!?! we just had a very heated thread where the crux of the thread iwas that that concept seems to be forgotten....wellll, for everyone else, it's ok....but I PAID for my vacation!!!!

MDR apparel, seat in theaters, seats by pool, smoking, kids in halls.....ugh!

life would be simpler on a cruise and on land if we all had respect for other people.....we seem to be an egocentric society and the golden rule is just some cross stitch thing hanging on Gramma's wall....

not cranky here....a curmudgeon!

Disney Theater seat saving rules:

(1) There are no saving of seats in the theater. This is common courtesy, a rule printed on the front page of your Navigator every day, and an announcement made from time to time
(2) If some of you party are running late, please see rule 1
(3) If there are plenty of seats available for others, please see rule 1
(4) If you're entitled to good seating because it's your vacation, please see rule 1
(5) If CMs do not enforce the rule, please see rule 1
(6) If it doesn't hurt anyone, please see rule 1
(7) If everyone else does it, please see rule 1
(8) If your children want to see the characters outside first, please see rule 1
(9) If you have a large party that wants to sit together but arrives at different times, please see rule 1

Hope this helps out!

Perfect!

wow! follow the rules?!?!?! we just had a very heated thread where the crux of the thread iwas that that concept seems to be forgotten....wellll, for everyone else, it's ok....but I PAID for my vacation!!!!

MDR apparel, seat in theaters, seats by pool, smoking, kids in halls.....ugh!

life would be simpler on a cruise and on land if we all had respect for other people.....we seem to be an egocentric society and the golden rule is just some cross stitch thing hanging on Gramma's wall....

not cranky here....a curmudgeon!

lol.... curmudgeon....same difference ;). Another pet peeve is kids playing on the elevators without an adult in sight. But that's for another thread altogether! I wish I had the nerve to say something, but instead we just took the stairs.

I KNOW it's Disney and it's supposed to be all about fun, but it should be fun for everyone.... are elevators now considered toys? :confused3

To be fair, this isn't just a problem on DCL... as you pointed out, it's everywhere in society today. No limits... or at least no limits that are enforced. Always an excuse for not following the rules.

We ran into a peculiar situation a couple weeks ago when we were on our Alaskan Sailing. There were 13 in our party. We all decided to meet at 8 in front of the theatre for the Golden Mickeys. Well one of the families didn't show up at 8 so my family and my neighbors family just went and got seats for our families. Once we got our seats, my kids decided they wanted to go get interviewed on the red carpet because they like the idea of being showed up on the big screen in the theatre even though they can't see it themselves! :lmao: So my neighbor sat on one end and I sat 7 seats down from her and we held the other 6 seats for our 5 kids and her Dh who went with them. We did not save seats for my friends family because she chose not to show up at 8. The rest of us did but the kids wanted to be part of the show. We kept telling people they were just going to be interviewed and they'd be right back. Some of course had no idea what we were talking about and others got a little rude. I felt very conflicted because I'm very much a rule follower and I didn't see it as saving seats per se but it looked like we were. I was very happy when I saw they were the first ones interviewed and they quickly made it back to their seats. It was a stressful 10 minutes though! :rotfl:

I don't understand the need to all sit together.

On my last cruise, we traveled as a party of 9. Sometimes we all went to the show, other times not. If I came late, I just sat elsewhere.

I mean, it's not like you can *talk* during the show and you surely can't see grandma 5 seats down the left so who cares ;)

lol.... curmudgeon....same difference ;). Another pet peeve is kids playing on the elevators without an adult in sight. But that's for another thread altogether! I wish I had the nerve to say something, but instead we just took the stairs.

I KNOW it's Disney and it's supposed to be all about fun, but it should be fun for everyone.... are elevators now considered toys? :confused3

To be fair, this isn't just a problem on DCL... as you pointed out, it's everywhere in society today. No limits... or at least no limits that are enforced. Always an excuse for not following the rules.

It is so hard, as a parent who DOES make my kids follow the rules (no running or loud voices in the halls in hotels, no playing in elevators, stay with an adult, no horsing around in the pool) to explain to my kid why THEY have to follow the rules when no one else does. I still enforce the rules, and explain that some people feel that they don't have to follow the rules, and I explain the reasoning for the rules (and often explain these things loudly so the offending parents and children hear me) but it just makes my kids turn into bitter little people. I hate it when they see kids running down a hotel hallway and they say "Why don't those kids understand that they are being so loud and disturbing people? Their parents don't even care!"

Sorry, back to the discussion on theater seats... :goodvibes

It is so hard, as a parent who DOES make my kids follow the rules (no running or loud voices in the halls in hotels, no playing in elevators, stay with an adult, no horsing around in the pool) to explain to my kid why THEY have to follow the rules when no one else does. I still enforce the rules, and explain that some people feel that they don't have to follow the rules, and I explain the reasoning for the rules (and often explain these things loudly so the offending parents and children hear me) but it just makes my kids turn into bitter little people. I hate it when they see kids running down a hotel hallway and they say "Why don't those kids understand that they are being so loud and disturbing people? Their parents don't even care!"

Sorry, back to the discussion on theater seats... :goodvibes[/QUOTE

Bringing up children isn't easy. That's why God gave children to young, energetic young people! I commend you for your efforts, which will be rewarded when your children grow to be responsible, well-mannered adults. You will reap the rewards, even though it seems difficult now. Your children will thank you, believe me.

Karen
]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter