Save VMK video

Such an incredible letter! Very well said form the heart.

Aengus you have put a voice behind the pixels! Woot!

Wonderful job, Aengus. Gave me goosebumps. Thank you so much for doing this; great blend of information, emotion, humor, and constructive feedback.

And... are you really a Red Sox fan? My dad's a lifelong Sox fan. Braves for me all the way, but I can tolerate a member of Red Sox Nation. ;) As long as you ain't a Yankees fan, you're okay by me. :rotfl2:

I have to admit. I haven't seen it yet because youtube is blocked by my internet filter. I will get someone to change it so I can see the video at least once though.:thumbsup2

Aengus, your video gave me all sorts of modivation to create and post my first YouTube video. I mentioned Aengus in my video, hope you all like it ... I would post the link but I am new to this forum and have not yet posted 10 posts so they wil not let my list the link. Search YouTubes for VMKMagicMontey, enjoy, and send my YouTube link to other friends who need modivation to keep Believing that we CAN save VMK !

(This is my letter which I mailed April 22, 2008)

Dear Mr. Robert Iger,

I believe in the Magic! I also believe that shutting down VMK would make The Walt Disney Company less magical. Mr. Walt Disney did not let money be his only guide - he chose to pursue his dream. Yes, he went bankrupt twice before the age of thirty, but he did not close the gates.

I am a child at heart, especially when in the park, real or virtual. I am a mother of two young boys who is always looking for a way to connect with them. In January 2006, I found VMK on the internet. Being intrigued by all things Disney - especially the inner workings - I logged on to check it out for my boys. I could not figure out why Disney would expend such efforts (money, CMs, servers, etc) providing a FREE game. As an Art Director in the advertising field I recognize the potential of having the attention of around 5,000 players (and their friends) on any given night, at any one time. To be able to announce to them newly released movies and park attractions by simply releasing a new virtual item is genius. After deciding it was safe and that I could use it as a tool to teach my boys how to use the keyboard and practice reading (while taking their attention away from the shoot ‘em up games), I created a character for myself and each of them.

My VMK character has given me a new view on life. When my family faces adversity or my boys are faced with a problem we use inner magic to find solutions. If you are not familiar with magic on VMK it can give you abilities t transport to another location, fly like a bat, dance so fast your feet glow with fire and even switching checker places with your opponent leading to a win that would not have been possible with out prior planning and acquiring of certain magic pins. Going on missions and quests on VMK has taught and reminded us to shoot for the stars and know we CAN do it if we dream and work really hard.

Not only has VMK given me a valuable connection to my children but has helped me make new friends who are truly a community of Disney fans - who support and help each other. They have given me lots of suggestions about what to do when I visit the real parks. I must say, I am MUCH more interested in attending the real parks since I have spent time on VMK. VMK keeps our thoughts on Disney and reminds us that being in the real park is even better than our regular virtual visits.

If VMK closes it gates, it will be a great loss to those of us who utilize it on a regular basis and to those who have yet to find the wonders and life altering experiences it offers. I feel fortunate to have experienced this virtual world, where age, culture, appearance, financial status do not matter. Spending time with players from all over the world has taught me many things and
made me a better person.

On VMK, I have found a new real-life friend, a friend whom I would likely never have met otherwise. When I met her she lived many states away. She is now a missionary half a world away. If VMK closes I will not keep in touch with most of the players I now call friends on the site, but I am certain I will continue to care for and support this woman for the rest of my life. It is hard to make bonds like that - ever! So to have made this one is truly special.

Many of us feel as though a real Disney park is closing its gates. Disney lovers all over the world come to VMK to experience the magic, to walk down Main Street just by clicking their mouse, to play family friendly games, to win credits so that we can buy items to decorate our own virtual rooms, to be in a place where we can dream big. Talk about linking people to the brand! Please, keep this dream alive.

I hope you understand you are taking away a part of people’s lives. This goes deeper then you will ever know. Look at the numbers at any moment while VMK is operating, there are about 5,000 people experiencing Disney magic - immersed in the brand! We are the people you refer to in your annual report statement of the company’s “Commitment to social responsibility and particularly to the families and children who are our biggest fans.”

VMK extends Disney Magic and the Disney brand beyond the parks and movies on a daily basis. It has linked Disney fans, children and families not only to Disney but to each other. We pay to play ToonTown and Pirates On Line, (we like those games but we LOVE VMK) and would pay to play VMK.

Disney movies often show that one person can make a difference and that people can do anything if they believe and work hard. Please let this letter make a difference and show our children that they can keep VMK open because they have been signing petitions, calling, faxing, mailing letters, creating imaginative uTube videos and working together to find a way to get their feelings expressed. Together, I believe you can keep the Magic going!

Very respectfully yours, (VMKMagicMontey's real name, lol)

btw, the day the stock market reopened after 9/11 we bought Disney stock to keep the magic going, today I ask you to and keep VMK going joing.

WOW,

I just watched your video on youTube. GREAT JOB!

I really like the broken heart on the cloud that you have included in your letters.

Hopefully someone out there will hear our pleas and SAVE VMK.

Aengus, your video gave me all sorts of modivation to create and post my first YouTube video. I mentioned Aengus in my video, hope you all like it ... I would post the link but I am new to this forum and have not yet posted 10 posts so they wil not let my list the link. Search YouTubes for VMKMagicMontey, enjoy, and send my YouTube link to other friends who need modivation to keep Believing that we CAN save VMK !

I found your video absolutely amazing, and really touching. Great work, great letter.

I think if Disney is paying attention we can find 250,000 reasons to keep VMK open!

ty for the kind words.

I have been striven to accomplish a few really difficult things in my life, just like everyone on this earth has. But on this subject, I am very passionate and believe VMK, as a site (not just a game) can take the magic where it could not get to otherwise. I believe corporate Disney has no idea what they have created. I believe if we can get them to listen to the many benefits VMK has provided over the almost three years it has been open they would do what ever they could to save VMK.

I am in advertising and I believe Disney could make a lot of money by keeping VMK open. They could charge similar rates as ToonTown and POTC Online and release more collectors cards, which pulls guests into the parks. Cards could also be included in DVDs and other products.

Releasing virtual items based on movies and attractions creates a buzz among those Disney wants to reach.

This quote is directly from The Disney Company 2007 annual report, page 7, letter from Robert A. Iger. “Our commitment to high-quality creative work, a persistant focus on new technologies and intelligent investment in international markets are the strategies we believe can continue to carry us forward. But in upholding the outstanding reputation afforded to Disney name, we must also continuously enhance our commitment to social responsibility and particularly to the families and children who are our biggest fans.”

Why would the The Disney Company turn off a site that could make them money while continue to be a great advertising tool? Maybe they need to look out of the box and see that this virtual world community is much more then a promotion.

Aengus, gl on the interview. I can relate how nervous you must be, but since, like me, you truly believe in the good VMK provides I just know you will say just the right things. Trust in yourself and trust in God - he's on our side.

Very nice letter MagicMontey!

I have also included in my letters to Disney on various ways they can make money off of VMK.
It's just amazing to me that their own marketing department can't figure this out on their own. In many ways, VMK should be the baby of their marketing department.

Will have to wait until I get home to see the video. :)

ty for all the complements :)

I tried to send you all private messages but I am new to this forum and am not allowed to send a PM untill I have more posts.

cteddiesgirl, we have met on VMK before, good to hear from you again. I have read your other comments for the save VMK campaign - keep getting our voice out there. Kudos !

Did you all read the right column on the save VMK site? IsadoraQ is really doing a great job at listing her and other players progress. I especially liked reading about the converstion her father had with Clifford Miller at Shamrock Holdings, which is Roy Disney's company. That conversation leads me to believe that Robet Iger, CEO and president of The Disney Company, reads his email. Could you imagine the eyefull he must be getting from us save VMK players.

I am writing a heartfelt email to Bob Iger next. I wish I lived closer to Burbank - I would try to get a meeting with him. Maybe I'll leave a message and try to speak to him personally. Could you imagine ... I would be so nervous ... but I wish we could show him VMK and tell him some of the many wonderful things happening here. If anyone knows how to get to speak with Bob Iger let me know. Or if you know Seth "Yavn" Mendelsohn - I'll send him an email too. Wish me luck ! Now I'm off to rip it, roll it and punch it ! lol

MagicMontey, after reading what you had written here, I just had to see your video. WOW!! So very well done, well written from the heart!! I am so impressed!!! :thumbsup2

I just watched your video - a very nice salute to your friends and to VMK !

I could not leave a comment on your video?

But I hope you are still believing, calling, emailing and mailing to Disney. We CAN save VMK !

If you get the time this weekend send a letter to:
Mr. John Lasseter
Chief Creative Officer and co-founder of Pixar Animation Studios
Pixar Animation Studios
1200 Park Avenue
Emeryville, CA 94608
I've heard he might be sympathetic to our reasons to keep VNK's gates open :) Smile !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter