• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Save VMK video

I had been doing very well since the announcement last week. Very well...

I had accepted it, knowing full well that nothing lasts forever and that it was time that VMK ended.

I supported the movement as I truly didn't want to be bereft of my friends, but I didn't actively contribute.

Then I watched your video, Aengus. Imagine, a scurvy pirate like myself, brought to tears!

What really got me, was when you were talking about the Closing Dances with Walt. :sad1:

That video was filled with just the love and creativity that has been fostered and cultivated by this game.

Aengus, I would be willing to cut up my DLR AP if, come May 22, their hearts were not melted by your video.

(Oh, and thanks for including my picture of the private closing I had with Hula.) :thumbsup2

EDIT: EVERY THREAD I TOUCH DIES! :sad1:

Hugs:hug: VMK melts the hearts of so many. Your post touched me. Amazing how we all pull together in this crisis to save our game.

Hugs,
Bug

Hey A.

Is the link posted anywhere else?

Only 495 view so far...

Need many more. :goodvibes

Hey A.

Is the link posted anywhere else?

Only 495 view so far...

Need many more. :goodvibes

I wrote to Stephen Wadsworth, and the generic WDIG email, and someone I thought might have a soft spot for it.

Its on the savevmktoday.com website and obviously here but thats about it. I dont know if the other sites are going to permit the link or not. I can take a look at them later and snoop around and see what their policy is on that sort of thing.

I wrote to Stephen Wadsworth, and the generic WDIG email, and someone I thought might have a soft spot for it.

Its on the savevmktoday.com website and obviously here but thats about it. I dont know if the other sites are going to permit the link or not. I can take a look at them later and snoop around and see what their policy is on that sort of thing.

Your linked over at MasterMinds :thumbsup2

Words cannot express how much I was moved by your video Aengus. Giving a voice to your avatar was such a creative way to get your points across.

Its on the savevmktoday.com website and obviously here but that’s about it. I dont know if the other sites are going to permit the link or not. I can take a look at them later and snoop around and see what their policy is on that sort of thing.

Have any of you spoken with anyone from the timeshare store, the boards sponsor? At a minimum I bet you could have a sticky added to all the board forums which would increase awareness informing the DIS community as a whole of the vmk scheduled closure, the fight, the petition, the website, etc trying to save VMK. Maybe they, the timesharestore, would be willing to add one of the "save vmk banners" to the forums home page or elsewhere and forgo a few advertising $$$ in lieu of supporting a humanitarian cause.

I would also suggest informing Deb at allearsnet.com as she has a voice that reaches 100,000's, possibly millions of people, having to do with all things Disney. Maybe even some of the other larger forums relating to wdw and affiliates would help your cause (if I put names they will be censored out so not going to bother creating work for mods since they are quite busy fighting the good fight) but I bet they would be willing to work with you all to help save your virtual word.

Anyone who reads the letter from the mom about her and her daughter (the one ending with the little girl stating "no one stares at me on VMK") will sign your partition at a minimum and I bet many others would do more if they were aware and just knew what they could to help...

Just my $.02 as a fellow DIS'er (and I am not a VMK user/player but am supporting your cause).

I haven't been on the Disboards since you posted the link, and the computer that I'm on now blocks YouTube, but I'll be sure to watch it as soon as I can access the site. Sounds like the video is amazing!

Amazing video!! Thanks for giving my purple haired little Rygo the voice she always wanted!! And I too think I can pick out 80% of the players just by their avatar. Which is one of those "strange but true" kind of things since we all look so much alike.....

ETA: the empty rooms. I dont know everytime I walk into a room and say HEY PEEPS! everyone seems to runaway:confused3

I don't believe that for a minute. If I ever see you on I will not runaway, I will run to you and give you as many virtual hugs and my little Rygo's arms can give.

Thanks for all the work Aengus!!!

Thanks, Aengus, for spending so much time on this. My daughter and I watched together and got choked up. I hope all the right people see this, because once they do, how could they refuse to changed their minds?:idea:

Smackeralchick

Thank you all for the kind words.

You know, speaking of our cute little selves... You all know what I mean, how weird is it that they are going to shut us off. I bet I could pick out 80% of our members in a picture just by their avatar. To me thats who they are.

How weird indeed. :rotfl: Great video Aengus! :thumbsup2 It's good to know that even though we might not know each other in game, we'll always know of each other. Let's enjoy the rest of the time we have together! Make the most of each day!

Woot :woohoo: Aengus :woohoo: Woot

Very well done. Some basic information, some humor, some constructive advice and the most important, how emotionally attached we players are to this virtual game. It must have taken you a great deal of time and shows just how much you love this game :)
So glad you included the Hosts and staff. They are one of the things that makes this game unique.

Ty anegus for all your work here, you get an A+! Once again we are proving that we BELIEVE in the Magic! We also believe that shutting down VMK would make Disney Company less magical. Disney movies often show that one person CAN make a difference and that people CAN do anything if they BELIEVE and work hard. If you ever wanted to see if one person (YOU) can make a difference I challenge you to go for it now! Beyond the petitions, these videos, call and write. Don't be nasty, in your letter, express your feelings from your heart. Because this wish is a dream ALL of our hearts are making. That has to count for something! We WILL be making history and you will be able to tell others “look what I did.” If we can spin this cog around (reference to ToonTown) who knows what else we can accomplish!

Aengus! Amazing,amazing job. You said it all-VMK to us is not a game-it is our community, it is our extended family! Thanks and someone pass the kleenex please!
iamsnshine

Stop it you all know I hate attention :rotfl:

Thank you all :)

Stop it you all know I hate attention :rotfl:

Thank you all :)

:love1: :thanks: :worship:
Grand Master Aengus rules. the video rocks! (and i love the NE accent, I am orginally from there too) soo arrrg to you! Your time and love for VMK shows, and we love you for all you do!!

SAVE VMK!!

Hi All,
I was moved by your video. I hope it does something to motivate and further the cause to save VMK! I also put in my efforts by sending this letter to news agencies, Oprah, and others. I hope we can stand together and make the difference.

Dear Sirs,

I have been very upset and wanted to share the sentiments of thousands of Virtual Magic Kingdom players. The closing of VMK gates on May 21, 2008, impacts the lives of many people. I woke in the night thinking of the many people that depend on VMK for their entertainment and communication to the world. I began playing with my daughter to make sure it was safe and not violent. We had such a great time experiencing Disneyland together. We then told my mother, who lives in a distant state, to try and visit with us. We have 3 generations of Disney fans spending time together. After I began playing, I discovered that there are many retired, ill, and shut-in type people that play together. This is their way of escaping loneliness. They will never be able to visit a Disney park, but have the opportunity to make friends and experience the magic of Disney. Further, after our kids go to sleep there are groups of adults who spend time together. They share their disappointment, joys, problems, and anything else that builds friendships. I know of women who are dying of cancer, lung issues, depression, grieving from deaths in their families, children arrested, and the list goes on. One friend commented that she would not have made it through her illness without meeting new friends to encourage her on VMK. Another friend explained that she had people to share her grief after her husband died. We listen and pray for each other. We have built an encouraging group of friends that will be lost forever.

I am disappointed that such a large corporation that prides its self on providing dreams to all could shut its doors when so many people need this escape. I believe Walt Disney would have looked at the benefits to others and would have decided to continue for the sakes of many. He wanted everyone to experience the magic of Disneyland. The magic that VMK provides is much larger than virtual stuff, but it nourishes relationships and human compassion. I have watched the children of all ages comment on how they are experiencing great loss. They are losing friendship, entertainment, a place to be creative, an escape from harsh realities, but more importantly, a way to reach out and touch the lives of others.

I know VMK creators have commented that the game was intended for a short promotional time, but when something is successful, why stop what is working for so many. If it is a financial issue, charge a fee. A fee would be lots cheaper than therapy for some I am sure. They have explained that Disney continues to move toward innovations. But look at what the current VMK is doing for the futures of many. This saddens me that they cannot create other sites to promote their future endeavors, and leave VMK as it is.

I am asking for you to look into this and see what you can do to further the cause of many who need VMK for varied reasons. It is not just a game, but a place where people of all walks of life can be creative, be nurtured, escape, and share themselves in a safe and fun way. You may think this is just a game or not that important in the big picture of life, however I have discovered how important this it to children as well as adults in different situations. Helping others comes in many forms. I hope I can help people from ages 7 to 70’s with my plea to stop the closing of VMK.

Thank you for your consideration on this issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter