Sarah & Chris - Swan - 09-01-13 - Update

Hey there!

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking of adding things like cheeses and popcorn (DF runs a movie theater) maybe big pretzels, and....I DOUBT this could happen, but mini "chicago style" hot dogs. I am a HUGE Cubs fan and brought Chris to his first Cubs game, and the hot dogs were all he could talk about LOL. I thought it would be a cute touch.

The dessert party is really important to me, and I was hoping by having a later ceremony and making it known to the guests that there wouldn't be a full dinner, it would work. I understand, but at the same time, I will be paying for them to get into the dessert party as well as the food itself so it's not like I am not giving them anything, right?

Well, it is a lot to consider. Like I said before, my parents and I are sitting down in March, when I go home to visit, and we are going to start to hash out the details, and get a rough idea of what it is going to cost, and how much they can contribute. Oh yeah, and the guest list.

Don't get me started on who my dad thinks we should invite.

Dads...they sure do have a lot of opinions. But they are just trying to be helpful. Well, hopefully lol.

Look, if the dessert party is important to you and DF likes it too then you should do it. Because it is YOUR wedding and you need to do what makes you happy. Adding some cheese, popcorn, and hot dogs is a great idea b/c then you provide everyone with more substantial food and they can fill up and not be starving.

You could also have an afternoon or morning ceremony and then the late dessert party...that way everyone could grab dinner/lunch before the dessert party. But you probably don't want to break up the wedding day that way, and I can't blame you, I wouldn't either.

Looking forward to knowing what you decide. :)

Hey there!

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking of adding things like cheeses and popcorn (DF runs a movie theater) maybe big pretzels, and....I DOUBT this could happen, but mini "chicago style" hot dogs. I am a HUGE Cubs fan and brought Chris to his first Cubs game, and the hot dogs were all he could talk about LOL. I thought it would be a cute touch.

The dessert party is really important to me, and I was hoping by having a later ceremony and making it known to the guests that there wouldn't be a full dinner, it would work. I understand, but at the same time, I will be paying for them to get into the dessert party as well as the food itself so it's not like I am not giving them anything, right?

Well, it is a lot to consider. Like I said before, my parents and I are sitting down in March, when I go home to visit, and we are going to start to hash out the details, and get a rough idea of what it is going to cost, and how much they can contribute. Oh yeah, and the guest list.

Don't get me started on who my dad thinks we should invite.

Greg is going to LOVE you. Wait until I tell him that you are a cubs fan he is going to scream "CUBBIES".

I think that adding some appetizers would be very yummy and I definitely think it will cut down on costs. We are having a plated reception because the price was right otherwise I would have come up with something else.

I like movie snacks that sounds fun.

your engagement pictures are very cute.

Teresa

Dads...they sure do have a lot of opinions. But they are just trying to be helpful. Well, hopefully lol.

Look, if the dessert party is important to you and DF likes it too then you should do it. Because it is YOUR wedding and you need to do what makes you happy. Adding some cheese, popcorn, and hot dogs is a great idea b/c then you provide everyone with more substantial food and they can fill up and not be starving.

You could also have an afternoon or morning ceremony and then the late dessert party...that way everyone could grab dinner/lunch before the dessert party. But you probably don't want to break up the wedding day that way, and I can't blame you, I wouldn't either.

Looking forward to knowing what you decide. :)

You're right, I know my dad is trying to help and he is excited about the wedding, but he doesn't really get what goes into a wedding. He hasn't been planning it since was 5 :laughing: We were going to split up the day, but I thought it might be easier that I keep it moving. They don't need to get dressed up then perhaps get dirty, then have to get ready again. You know?
Greg is going to LOVE you. Wait until I tell him that you are a cubs fan he is going to scream "CUBBIES".

I think that adding some appetizers would be very yummy and I definitely think it will cut down on costs. We are having a plated reception because the price was right otherwise I would have come up with something else.

I like movie snacks that sounds fun.

your engagement pictures are very cute.

Teresa

YEAH GO CUBBIES! :cool1:

I do like the appetizer idea, I guess I just don't know what they can do. Are the mini dogs even possible? I have started a list of different appetizers that might work and figured that I could send a list and just have them tell me what can can't happen.

I hope that we can sit down with my parents in March and really get a plan down, and then go from there.

I love your engagement photos, the Disney touches are super cute! I love your idea of a DP reception and your additional food ideas sound really fun too. You might want to check out some old wedding menus (http://www.********************/ftw/wdw/menus.html) to get an idea of what kinds of things are available. But it sounds like all their menus are very customizable these days. I've noticed that a lot of people do welcome dinner "dessert parties" with full meals, maybe there are a couple brides/PJs on the DIS that have their menus posted if you want to really look into it ahead of time. :)

I just read through your whole pj so far and am going to subscribe to it because I have a lot in common with you! Our wedding isn't until October 2013 and I had the exact same experience with the "so, why are you waiting so long?"s. I also am a big planner and am finding wedding things to do a little at a time (like my "will you be my bridesmaid?" cards!).

It may be a long time but I just tell myself to think about how exciting October 2013 will be! Not to mention, my birthday is also in October. Haha

I just read through your whole pj so far and am going to subscribe to it because I have a lot in common with you! Our wedding isn't until October 2013 and I had the exact same experience with the "so, why are you waiting so long?"s. I also am a big planner and am finding wedding things to do a little at a time (like my "will you be my bridesmaid?" cards!).

It may be a long time but I just tell myself to think about how exciting October 2013 will be! Not to mention, my birthday is also in October. Haha

Hey there! I just made my way over to your PJ!

I am glad to hear I am not the only planner that wants to work on things even though its a little ways away. I already want to start buying things for my welcome bags (the bags have already been purchased) and I get looks from my DF. Oh well, he can deal with it. He may appreciate it when I am not spending lots of money at once, just because I have to get it done. I figure it won't "hurt" as much if I spend 20 here or 50 here not instead of waiting.

No real new news. I am figuring out the pros and cons to both an EPCOT Dessert Party and having one at the GF Marina. I guess my biggest thought right now, is, since I am a Swan bride can I use the Marina, without triggering some huge minimum and can I wear my dress?

I think the Marina would be more intimate, since we wouldn't be in a park. My trip home to see my parents is coming up quickly. Only a little over a month left. My dad is one of those, "I need to know eveyrthing" people, so the more I can figure out and and tell him 'This is how it is' the better chance I stand at getting what I want...if that makes sense.

I am so thankful to have found this board, and so many wonderful helpful people. I really don't know what I would do, if I had to try and figure all of this out on my own. :grouphug:

Hi!

I don't believe having a DP at the Marina triggers a minimum but the lady told me I couldn't wear my dress- I don't know if that's true because I heard you could wear your dress assuming you weren't in park.

In my mind, if you aren't going to be able to wear your dress at either places, go for the EPCOT DP. Double check on the no dress thing at the Marina though!

Teresa (Icecoldpenguin) is having a DP at the marina I believe. Ask her!

I hope this month flies by! :hug:

This is only KIND OF wedding related, but still gonna be posted.

We are going to DISNEY! In September, but only for 2 days. DF won "Manager of the year" for his company. As a prize, he won a week in a Key Largo 2 bedroom villa. So we are leaving 2 days early, and going to Disney.

During our trip, we are gonna check out the Swan and Dolphin. I have seen it before, but never through the eyes of a bride. I think it will be helpful to actually see the space I want to marry in.

I am also going to make DF watch Illuminations, and maybe we can catch Wishes too, since neither of us has seen it.

I am so excited, even though it is 6 months away!!

Hi Sarah sweetie!!
Glad to hear things are coming together nicely!!
This question about the wearing of dresses at the GF for non DFTW brides seems to be coming up more lately!!
Carrie recently confirmed that you are perfectly entitled to wear your dress anywhere except the theme parks themselves. I know, last May, I certainly paraded all over the GF in my dress with no problem at all.
It would be a shame if they started preventing non DFTW brides from wearing their dresses at Marina DPs, but it is hard to see what valid reason they could give for this change in rules.

Hi Sarah sweetie!!
Glad to hear things are coming together nicely!!
This question about the wearing of dresses at the GF for non DFTW brides seems to be coming up more lately!!
Carrie recently confirmed that you are perfectly entitled to wear your dress anywhere except the theme parks themselves. I know, last May, I certainly paraded all over the GF in my dress with no problem at all.
It would be a shame if they started preventing non DFTW brides from wearing their dresses at Marina DPs, but it is hard to see what valid reason they could give for this change in rules.

Thanks Joanne, I too think it would be hard for them to come up with a reason why I wouldn't be able to. At this point, my biggest fear, is I am going to show up to my dessert party and have them tell me that I am not dressed correctly, and I will be kicked out of my own party. Yes, it is probably an irrational fear...but that is a mind of a bride I suppose.

Aww yay for the surprise trip. That's so awesome!
I am SOO excited! I know that it is 6 months away, but I want to go shopping for a new swimsuit SOO badly.

I went home for a visit, first time I have been home since moving to Texas. It was great to see my family.

While I was there, I had set up an appointment to try on dresses. I wanted my important people there, so I found a place in the middle from my parents place to where my MOH lived. It was a 3 hour drive, but with my MOH came my aunt and my grandma. My mom and my sister were also there.

My bridal consultant asked what I wanted, and I showed her a picture, of course they didn't have the dress I was looking for. So, she told me to go through the racks and pull dresses I wanted to try. I found 5 to start with.

By this time, I had tried about 20-25 dresses on, so I knew what I was looking for. The first three went fast. The fourth dress stopped me in my tracks. I of course had to try on the 5th one, but quickly went back to the 4th and put it back on. It was it.

I was informed before I tried it on, that I had to buy it off the rack, and that it only came in white. My ladies said that the white didn't wash me out, and I have never had a problem with having a white dress, even though every other bridal consultant has suggested I buy ivory. Without further ado

100_2003.jpg

It doesn't fit right now, but I was told that I can put in a corset and it will fit perfectly. Which is awesome, because I wanted a corset back anyway. I also think I need more poof, but my mom doesn't think I do. I didn't try it on with a slip because when I have it on it seems like it has a nice poof, but when I look at the picture I am not happy.

Moving on, we also had to sit down with my parents and talk about the wedding and hash out some details. They liked my plans, or at least my ideas, and are totally on board. I contacted Erin from Just Marry, and she has been awesome! She is looking into getting my date booked, although she said that it may still be too early to book. We are adding Christine MacPhail to our ceremony for the music. We heard her samples and love it.
I think the best way to describe the way I want the wedding to feel is “Enchanted Garden”

I cannot WAIT to get the date secure so we can start putting everything together!

Love the dress. I like it without extra poof, but I think it would look good with more if that is what you want.

I am a little sad right now. I just got an email from Erin, and the Swan has declined my site request for the time being. It is too early to book.

While I knew in my head that it was too early, I was still really hoping that I would get it set up now. I hate when friends and family ask what the date of the wedding is, we have to say that we are hoping for September 1, and then you get those looks of confusion/that's dumb.

Anyway, there really isn't anything to update, as I still don't have a date. :sad1:

Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear that you couldn't book in with the Swan just yet. You know its funny, Erin was so helpful and the Swan was able to lock in our date for 10 September 2013, so I don't know whats going on. Erin was surprised that we were able to confirm the date, but never the less, she has sent us the contract and we have paid our deposit. I did actually go back, just to check and make sure it was for 2013 and it was, so I really don't understand how they couldn't confirm your date. Did she say when you would be able to check again?

I'm glad to see another Swan 2013 bride out there :) You know, we are from Australia and its just bizarre about this booking our date in, as we can basically book our date in for whenever we want, 2014 or 2015, even!

I really hope good news comes your way in the next few months and you are able to book in your date.

Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear that you couldn't book in with the Swan just yet. You know its funny, Erin was so helpful and the Swan was able to lock in our date for 10 September 2013, so I don't know whats going on. Erin was surprised that we were able to confirm the date, but never the less, she has sent us the contract and we have paid our deposit. I did actually go back, just to check and make sure it was for 2013 and it was, so I really don't understand how they couldn't confirm your date. Did she say when you would be able to check again?

I'm glad to see another Swan 2013 bride out there :) You know, we are from Australia and its just bizarre about this booking our date in, as we can basically book our date in for whenever we want, 2014 or 2015, even!

I really hope good news comes your way in the next few months and you are able to book in your date.

I had remembered you telling us that you got your date for the 10th, so I didn't think it would be a problem either. Erin told me I could check back again in September. I don't want to be a pain before I even pay my deposit but I am excited and want to really get the ball rolling, maybe I will ask her before September :goodvibes

I too am always happy to see fellow "Swalphins"

Thanks for the well wishes, keep in touch!

So excited about your FL trip!! I hope time flies for you!

Your dress is GORGEOUS!! I love corset backs-- so pretty! I'm always a fan of more poof! :lauging:

I love love love that you're going for an "Enchanted Garden" feel. Beautiful! AH! So excited for you! Can't wait to read more!

Ugh! I'm sorry you can't book your date yet but I'm right there with you. We can't officially get ours until October but our consultant did say we would have a phone conference in August or September to get things together before booking so I'll probably be a little eager and set it up for August! At least you already got your dress and you can do other research and planning until September (or before!) comes. I haven't even tried on a dress yet! Everything will come together in time and until then we can both just enjoy being engaged and in the less stressful part of the wedding planning process. :hug:

So excited about your FL trip!! I hope time flies for you!

Your dress is GORGEOUS!! I love corset backs-- so pretty! I'm always a fan of more poof! :lauging:

I love love love that you're going for an "Enchanted Garden" feel. Beautiful! AH! So excited for you! Can't wait to read more!

Thank you Faith!! I think I am for sure going to try on my dress with a slip to see what it would look like with more poof. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do that while I was trying on the dress :confused3

You are so sweet and I love that I have people to share all the details with :hug:

Ugh! I'm sorry you can't book your date yet but I'm right there with you. We can't officially get ours until October but our consultant did say we would have a phone conference in August or September to get things together before booking so I'll probably be a little eager and set it up for August! At least you already got your dress and you can do other research and planning until September (or before!) comes. I haven't even tried on a dress yet! Everything will come together in time and until then we can both just enjoy being engaged and in the less stressful part of the wedding planning process. :hug:

I would be eager too to get the phone conference right away in August. I am not good at waiting :) Remember when you do go shopping for a dress, have fun with it! I tried on a couple that I knew were not going to be it, but they provided for a good laugh and a way to take off the pressure. I think sometimes people put too much pressure on finding the dress, but it will find you. You are right, I need to enjoy being engaged and relax before it gets really stressful. :hug:

Hi there!!

I just read through your PJ. Your dress is gorgeous! It looks a lot like one of the two I am thinking about now. They couldn't be different in style though, but that's okay. :rotfl:

I am in the same boat as you as far as confirming your wedding date. I have been talking back and forth with someone at Disney, but we won't find out if we got our date until late May. It can't get here soon enough! :hourglass

I absolutely LOVE your engagement pictures! I especially like the one where you are both wearing your Mickey ears and it just shows your eyes. Such a cute idea.

Can't wait to read more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter