• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sanaa-experiences?

Disneyorbust45

Gotta be the DIS
Hi all,
I just booked reservations for Sanaa for our trip in October. I was just wondering about others experience was. I have read very good and very bad reviews. We will be doing dinner around 7:30 pm. I still have plenty of time to cancel and do something else if it is overpriced/not good/has bad service. My daughter and I want to go to one restaurant that is not the usual or something you can get just anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I am booked in December, one thing I have heard is to try to get there before sunset to enjoy the savanna views outside the big windows.

We went last July and had awful service. We ordered drinks and sent them back two times because they were not correct. When we got them the third time they were HOT instead of cold drinks like they should have been, so they ended up just taking them off the check. The bread service was fantastic. That was the best part of our meal. The entrees were dry and barely warm. The service was pretty much non-existant and our server only checked in on us once the whole time after the drink fiasco. We won't be going back. We also waited 30 minutes to be seated and we had a reservation. We were more impressed with Jiko and Boma if you are over there!

I absolutely loved Sanaa and went there for lunch in March. I plan to go back again. I loved the atmosphere and theme of the restaurant. I loved the food and never had a problem with the service. You should get the dessert sampler at the end too, it looks too pretty to eat.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 38
We did lunch there last August and loved it. (Well aside from our cranky baby) we are hoping to squeeze it in this upcoming trip as well.

Do you think 7:30 is to late to see the animals? I was giving us plenty of time to finish in the park before dinner. I think the options were 7 or 7;30

Do you think 7:30 is to late to see the animals? I was giving us plenty of time to finish in the park before dinner. I think the options were 7 or 7;30
We have never done the whole night thing there, we will be staying on site at akl this time so hopefully there is some decent night viewing. But I have heard they have night vision goggles for the evening time. I know that isn't the same but I don't think there is any true guarantee.

:wizard: We just ate at Sanaa last week. This was our third time having dinner there and it's a must-do for us. The bread service is great and we love the wine flights. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is relaxing. We have never had bad service there, other than one time when the food came out while we were still eating our bread service. Our waitress apologized and just told us to let her know when we were ready and she would order new dinners. We try to arrive a little early so we can see the animals before dinner. We have used the night vision goggles but really love to see the animals in the daylight. Our dinner last week was wonderful. We had a great table with a view of the savannah, an attentive waitress who didn't rush us at all, great food and wine and just a lovely time. We highly recommend it!!

We had lunch there in June and loved everything about it. The view is awesome. The bread service is wonderful. We had great service. Get the butter chicken!!!

I thought it was fantastic last year - everything from appetizers to dessert. I'll be back there in a few weeks.

My DH and I will be staying at AKL for the first time next year. Due to this thread, I have just decided we have to try this restaurant, although previously I was not considering it. Thank OP for this thread!

We were at Sanaa earlier this week and loved it! The service was great - my boyfriend was a little wary of the menu, and the waitress was very helpful and gave useful, accurate explanations of some of the types of food we hadn't had before. He loved his meal (the Sosatie). Also, we ended up being late for our ADR time :rolleyes1 and they had no problem seating us about 15-20 minutes later.

Definitely get the naan if you go! It was amazing!

Also, for reference, we got there around 8pm and it was too dark to really see much outside. As we were walking in, we did see animals, but the sun was basically setting as we were arriving at the restaurant.

Went last September for lunch and the service was amazing! Ordered the bread service and it is wonderful! They have big portions for main meals and the prices weren't too bad. We stopped to see the animals after lunch. This past May, we went after we checked into our room at AKL and they were only doing reservations. They told use we could sit at the bar table, but the full offerings weren't available there. Service took forever and I think the manager was actually being our server. She did a decent job and kept apologizing. They upgraded our bread service to big one with all the breads and sauces so no complaints there. They have our daughter a light up tinkerbell drink topper that she could play with and she loved it. They also gave her the plastic light up cube. We ordered her a kids meal of grilled chicken w/ rice and veggies. Chicken was very overcooked and the veggies were not cooked enough. Drinks were slow to come and then our magic band didn't work even with online check in and the direct to room option. Worked out because we got our Disney Visa discount. We will def try again next time...may have been the main difference between the bar area and the main dining section.

My only experience was Sept of 2013 and enjoyed everything about it (price could have been better I guess, but let's be realistic). We have a reservation for our arrival night at AKL in November. They only reason we waited so long to go back was because of the fairly remote location.

Our Ratings of Sanaa: (*rev 05/21/2015*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: B (views of animals on Savannah)
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Indian Style Bread Service, Lamb Kefta
. . . entrée:.. Tandoori Lamb, Beef Short Ribs
. . . dessert:. Banana Kulfi Sundae (available seasonally) or Banana Cheesecake
NOTE1: Has good regional African food. Americanized, but definitely more adventurous than
other eateries. The menu is shorter than other table service eateries, the wine list average,
but the quality of the food and presentation are high. An added benefit is the viewing animals
on the Savannah during the meal (for daylight hours). There are eight window tables and six
more with good views. For lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face sandwich; for dinner, try the
beef and lamb. Don't miss out on the Banana Kulfi Sundae. We like the bread appy/sampler,
as well as the salad sampler with three salads; either will feed two people. Be aware that items
labeled as "Durban" are highly spiced, best washed down with cold milk! It is out of the way,
but is worth the long drive. This is only one of the five sit down eateries we patronize at WDW.
In our opinion, Sanaa is better than Jiko or Boma. As a PS, they accommodate kids really well.
NOTE2: There has been a MAJOR menu change for lunch. The bread and sandwich offerings are
still there, but CONSIDERABLY toned-down for "heat". I had the Lamb Kefta (aka, Lamb Burger).
It was very tasty and nicely spiced, but no "heat". I asked, and yes, the menu items have
been altered. I asked for some PeliPeli sauce, which is a VERY, VERY hot Indian sauce. If
I put more than 1/32" ball on my fork, my lips and tongue would go numb! This was great, as
any Indian food that doesn't bring sweat droplets to your forehead is too mild. So, if you
enjoy something very spicy, ask for the PeliPeli on-the-side in a ramekin, but use sparingly.
NOTE3: Sanaa is a really good place to split/share meals. It not only helps cut the cost of
eating, but gives you a chance to sample the various offerings.
NOTE4: We prefer the lunch over the dinner.
. . . the fare is a little lighter
. . . the price is better
. . . the appys and salads are the same
. . . the lower number of people eating
. . . the ability to see animals on the Savannah

We usually do Sanaa for lunch at 11:30 am when they open. We have never had any issues with the food, service or seeing the animals. The food is a solid B+, service has always been an A and the animals are more active first thing when they open. It looks like they put out their food around 11:15-11:30 since you can see the animals migrate from one side to the other of the viewing area.

As stated by another poster... The bread service is awesome. The other portions of the meals are good also.

I absolutely loved Sanaa and went there for lunch in March. I plan to go back again. I loved the atmosphere and theme of the restaurant. I loved the food and never had a problem with the service. You should get the dessert sampler at the end too, it looks too pretty to eat.

What was the butterfly made of? Chocolate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter