• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Angel Inn Avoid At All Costs

The blame can be shared with guests who make ADRs and don't show and don't cancel. Unfortunately that leads to overbooking and sometimes the restaurant guesses wrong.

You really can't count the 15 minutes you got to the restaurant early. It sounds like you had to wait a little over an hour. A lot of local restaurants have waits that long, even if a customer has a reservation.

I agree the restaurant could have handled it better but it's not easy for a restaurant to eject a guest who stays longer then anticipated. You didn't say how many guests were in your party. Some restaurants don't have very many smaller tables (for two) or larger tables (for six or more).
I don't know how you can blame this on people who made ADRs and didn't show up !!!! :confused3

Sorry you had such a bad experience at San Angel Inn. I think that happens one time or another at any restaurant. We were just there last week and we had a very good experience. We've read some negative reviews about the food. But it's NOT Tex-Mex it's authentic Mexican food which tends to be very different from what most people think Mexican food should taste like.
Also we had a HORRIBLE experience at the WCC and most people love that place. So I guess some times it's just a crapshoot. :confused:

We just got back from 9 nights of DDP dinners including San Angel. We were seated promptly at all 9 restaurants within 15 minutes of our ADR times or arrival.

We ate at San Angle last Sat. night. We had an 8:30 ADR but arrived at 7:30 and were seated at 7:45. I had the filet which was excellent as was everything else. I am an authentic Mexican food lover and San Angels food is great. Those that think Mexican food is tacos, burritos and chimichangas probably will not like San Angel. This was our 3rd time at San Angel. Perfect every time.

Glad to see this. Since we will be there in a upcoming trip. Sorry OP did not have a good experience. popcorn::

I don't know how you can blame this on people who made ADRs and didn't show up !!!! :confused3

I think what he is saying is that because there's a history of guests making ADR's and not showing up, the restaurants overbook, believing there will be people who don't show. This causes backups everywhere, and I think is the reason we have to wait eons after our ADR time when we do dinner at LeCellier.
I agree with part of Lewis's post, in that regard. I always cancel ADR's when we change our minds, and you have to think that out of thousands of people everyday at WDW, there are tons of guests who are basically just no-shows. This ends up being like a domino effect, and in the end its the ones who keep the ADR's who get screwed.
Another point here is that, from what I have always understood, "ADR's" are not reservations in the true sense of the word. They are more like call ahead seating. With an ADR, I do expect to wait, but don't think I should have to for more than 20-30 minutes. The fact that the OP waited for over an hour is ridiculous...and again, I think it was a mixture of overbooking, and his 7 member party(and it does seem as no one passed the word along that his party could be separated)....oh...and we can't forget that it's Free Dining:scared: .

As for my own opinion of San Angel Inn, we were there 2 years ago, and haven't been back since. We arrived on time for our ADR and, after having been told by the hostess that we would be seated in about 20 minutes, it was twice that at least before we were and this was only after I went up to the hostess station twice. While we waited, we roamed around the marketplace(Mexico isn't a pavilion we normally spend alot of time in) and laughed at the fact that there were actually big baskets of TOSTITOS chips for sale. Holy crap.:sad2: .
When we were finally seated and given our basket of chips and the salsa, we noticed the chips were nothing more than the same ROUND TOSTITOS we had just seen for sale a few minutes before. Holy crap again. Where, exactly, is the authenticity here?? We have three authentic, locally owned Mexican restaurants within 20 minutes of us. We can also go to Don Pablo's and get HANDMADE tortillas. Can anyone explain why this isn't the case in Epcot. The tables were on top of each other and the food couldn't compare to any I can get here....chain or not. The server had absolutely no clue about how to utilize the DP, and I found myself having to explain several things to him. His English was terrible. He couldn't understand simple things...and he was our SERVER!
I never complain about the food in WDW, and we have RARELY had bad service in any TS eatery, but this place was not a fun place to be and it will take a few more years before we give it another chance.

Sure. Have you been in a kitchen at Walt Disney World? It’s sized and equipped to store, prepare, and serve the menu items. Have you been to California Adventure? There’s a place there where you can watch them make tortillas from scratch (and get a sample at the end of the tour). While I’m sure the equipment could be compacted to a degree, it simply doesn’t make sense to devote that much (read: any additional) kitchen space to specialized equipment for ONE appetizer.

We have three authentic, locally owned Mexican restaurants within 20 minutes of us. We can also go to Don Pablo's and get HANDMADE tortillas. Can anyone explain why this isn't the case in Epcot.

Sure. Have you been in a kitchen at Walt Disney World? It’s sized and equipped to store, prepare, and serve the menu items. Have you been to California Adventure? There’s a place there where you can watch them make tortillas from scratch (and get a sample at the end of the tour). While I’m sure the equipment could be compacted to a degree, it simply doesn’t make sense to devote that much (read: any additional) kitchen space to specialized equipment for ONE appetizer.

This has nothing to do with ONE appetizer. This has to do with authenticity and ANYTHING served with a tortilla(handmade flour tortillas are like the official "bread" of Mexico). It's not a huge deal to me, but I find it rather silly that they sell bags of TOSTITOS in the market place, then basically warm them up and throw them in a basket(and these are CORN, not flour). Holy cow. At least give me something that LOOKS authentic.
I am also talking about two different things here. How much extra room can it take to throw together some flour, water and lard and pat out some flour tortillas. And actually, that doesn't even matter as much....it's the authenticity thing as a whole. I just don't see it here, yet we are supposed to be visiting a pavilion that gives us a true feel and taste of that specific country. Mexico, IMO, is the worst of all the pavilions(and WS is my favorite place in my favorite park at WDW).
All in all, I don't necessarily EXPECT handmade tortillas...just more authenticity. Round Tostitos just don't do it for me. Mexico in Epcot should at least give me the authenticity that a family owned local business does...and it doesn't. And to throw in another negative...other than to take a break...El Rio Del Tiempo stinks(with or without without the rehab):)

This has nothing to do with ONE appetizer. This has to do with authenticity and ANYTHING served with a tortilla(handmade flour tortillas are like the official "bread" of Mexico). It's not a huge deal to me,
Again, it seems wasteful to devote any kitchen/floor space to special machinery to replicate a SINGLE appetizer. There's nothing on the dinner menu that lists tortillas as an ingredient; while there are some lunch items that do, it would seem that San Angel Inn gets their tortillas from an outside source, and that management feels it would not be cost-effective to make nachos from them. Basing an opinion on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of a restaurant's entire menu based on ONE appetizer seems, well, I don't know... if Round Tostitos don't appeal to a Guest, then that Guest might best enjoy an entirely different appetizer.

Last Sept my mom wanted to try it despite both my sons telling her how bad it was. We decided to try if for lunch to see if it was any better. NOPE!! My mom is a very brittle diabetic and without thinking ordered something that had mole in it. I immediately let her know that mole had chocolate in it and she couldn't have it. The waitress corrected me and said their mole was not sweetened and would be fine for a diabetic. Huh? I'm from Texas and know Mexican food--mole is sweet. The waitress assured us again that theirs was not. Sure enough, my mom took one bite and almost choked, it was so sweet. We waved the waitress over and her only response as she started to walk away was "Oh, sorry. I must have been wrong".
Okay, every recipe I could find for mole poblano required UNsweetened chocolate – one also had plantains, a couple of others had raisins and cinnamon… I think that’s where the sweetness came from. Unsweetened chocolate in an ingredient in a number of diabetic recipes (some really good-sounding ones – see Google ;))

Sorry things didn't go well for you. I would definitely write to Disney about the experience, BUT, I must admit, dining in Mexico is one of our "don't miss" dinners. We have always had fantastic service, love the atmosphere, and the food is always outstanding!

I guess every place can have a bad night though!

Again, it seems wasteful to devote any kitchen/floor space to special machinery to replicate a SINGLE appetizer. There's nothing on the dinner menu that lists tortillas as an ingredient; while there are some lunch items that do, it would seem that San Angel Inn gets their tortillas from an outside source, and that management feels it would not be cost-effective to make nachos from them. Basing an opinion on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of a restaurant's entire menu based on ONE appetizer seems, well, I don't know... if Round Tostitos don't appeal to a Guest, then that Guest might best enjoy an entirely different appetizer.

Okay. I guess I have been bad at getting my point across. First let me say(only with more meaning this time), that my ONE appetizer is made from CORN tortillas, not flour(which has to do with the HANDMADE remark I made). Repeating the "one appetizer" thing has nothing to do with my handmade flour tortilla remark. Handmade tortillas aren't a huge deal here, I was only wondering.
To drive my point home about the "authenticity" thing..well...here goes: Selling and serving ROUND AMERICAN made chips is truly a joke. If authenticity doesn't matter, then why does WDW go to the trouble to bring over employees native to that country to work in the pavilions? Why do they find it so important to make each pavilion LOOK as though you are in a miniature of said country?? Why can you go into Mitsokushi dept store in Japan and feel as though you are in a small scale version of a Japanese dept store?? (As an example)
All in all, I wasn't trying to make a HUGE deal out of tortillas. Our service there was crappy, the food was mediocre, and we won't go back for awhile. I love WDW. I rarely ever complain(and rarely is even saying too much) about anything at WDW. WS is somewhere we spend alot of time in, and I sincerely question the authenticity of a pavilion that once again, sells american made FRITO LAY chips in a Mexican "marketplace", along with authentic handmade merchandise. If Don Pablo's served these...fine. My whole family just found it funny(and yes..funny...we weren't upset at all) that we could buy a bag of Tostitos in Mexico.
I have no doubt we'll go back eventually, as we all love Mexican food and most everything we've ever eaten at WDW. With that said, I hadn't even thought about the non "authenticity" of the place until I was typing my own story. I just think this pavilion needs a little work....and make my chips a different shape, please...OH...and don't forget the PACE picante sauce...;)

For us, the food and service have always pretty bad at San Angel. The atmosphere makes it worthwhile once every couple of years, but the tables are indeed uncomfortably close to together.

Sorry you did not have a good experience. My Dh and I happened to enjoy the rest. very much. The only thing was that it was verrry dark in there.

My mom is a very brittle diabetic and without thinking ordered something that had mole in it. I immediately let her know that mole had chocolate in it and she couldn't have it. The waitress corrected me and said their mole was not sweetened and would be fine for a diabetic. Huh? I'm from Texas and know Mexican food--mole is sweet. The waitress assured us again that theirs was not. Sure enough, my mom took one bite and almost choked, it was so sweet.

HUH!?!?! Sweet mole?!?! :eek: I'm Mexican and have never had sweet mole. I've tried multiple varieties from my abuelitas, to multiple visits to Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City and Oaxaca and it's alwasy been very savory or spicy, never sweet. Even though the most well known mole is made from a dark chocolate, I've never had one where the cook sweetened the chocolate. I can't even imagine a sweet mole!!!

Don Pablo is the worst garbage I have ever eaten in my life...I would eat animal food before I would eat there ever again...disgusting whether the tortilla shells are handmade or not.

I like San Angel Inn, I do agree that the Tostitos are silly. I love the Rio De Tempo...it is hokey, but I love it.:love:

Had a great meal there could not see what I was eating, but it was great.

Had a great meal there could not see what I was eating, but it was great.

Count me in as one who thinks the idea of Tostitos at any restaurant is just ridiculous. I think the atmosphere is wonderful, but the food is pretty mediocre (and I do like Mexican foods from many regions, not just Tex Mex).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter