• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Angel Inn Avoid At All Costs

I am very glad to hear that. We have a reservation there for our last night too. It's rather early since we are going to MNSSHP afterwards. We have never eaten there and we were looking forward to it, but there were so many negative reviews. Glad you enjoyed your dinner and hope we have as a great time as you did. Thanks!!

Go 30-45 minutes prior to your ADR. If the estimated wait is awhile then go on the boat ride. There was no line for the ride and when we got off our table was ready.

We went to MNSSHP last Friday. It rained off and on from 7pm till about 10pm. The fireworks and parade were delayed but were worth the wait. We had a great time although our shoes were soaked. As we exited we were given a note that stated because of the rain we could get a ticket for 1 days admission to the park good for up to a year. Won't do us much good as we aren't local and won't travel to FL just for a day!

We had dinner at Kona at the Polynesian prior to MNSSHP as it is a short monorail or boat ride to MK. You'll have to take 2 monorails from EPCOT but should be quick.

We've eaten at San Angel Inn on three seperate occasions and had bad service and bad food all three times.

The first time I ate there (Jan '05) was with my elder son and GD. None of us ate more than a bite or two and finally my then 8 y/o GD asked if we could leave and go somewhere else to eat. When we finally found someone to go find our waiter who had been absent since bringing our food, he didn't even ask why our plates were vitually untouched. He just handed us the bill.

Sept '05 my younger son and D-I-L couldn't believe it could be that bad and wanted to try it. We were on the DDP, but no way was I going to waste a credit on a meal I knew I wouldn't eat. I asked to order the fundido and use my DDE card to pay for my meal. I was told I couldn't use my DDE card because my son and D-I-L were using their DDP and two discounts could not be used at one table. We had been using both all week with no problem, A manager was called and she also refused to let me use my DDE card for my meal. I said fine, then my D-I-L and I will share a TS then. Again the food was inedible and we left our food almost untouched. Again when we asked for our ticket the waiter didn't even ask why we didn't eat more than a bite or two.

Last Sept my mom wanted to try it despite both my sons telling her how bad it was. We decided to try if for lunch to see if it was any better. NOPE!! My mom is a very brittle diabetic and without thinking ordered something that had mole in it. I immediately let her know that mole had chocolate in it and she couldn't have it. The waitress corrected me and said their mole was not sweetened and would be fine for a diabetic. Huh? I'm from Texas and know Mexican food--mole is sweet. The waitress assured us again that theirs was not. Sure enough, my mom took one bite and almost choked, it was so sweet. We waved the waitress over and her only response as she started to walk away was "Oh, sorry. I must have been wrong". No duh, we asked for something else and was told she would have to use another TS credit. We asked for a manager, explained what had happened and was asked "If you knew it was sweet, why did you order it". Maybe, because your waitress assured us it wasn't sweet. He rolled his eye and just walked away. We again left without eating.

No way would I enter that place again. We knew going in that it wasn't TexMex, but here in east Texas we enjoy authentic Mexican food as well as TexMex and the food we had all three times was just not prepared well. All three times it was either cold or barely lukewarm and twice the black beans had a scorched taste. Chips looked like they came out of a bag and the hot sauce out of a jar.

We loved the food here, but the service was the slowest of our trip. Our server was never around when we needed him. BUT, the food was some of the best on our trip. We will definitely return!

Go 30-45 minutes prior to your ADR. If the estimated wait is awhile then go on the boat ride. There was no line for the ride and when we got off our table was ready.

We went to MNSSHP last Friday. It rained off and on from 7pm till about 10pm. The fireworks and parade were delayed but were worth the wait. We had a great time although our shoes were soaked. As we exited we were given a note that stated because of the rain we could get a ticket for 1 days admission to the park good for up to a year. Won't do us much good as we aren't local and won't travel to FL just for a day!

We had dinner at Kona at the Polynesian prior to MNSSHP as it is a short monorail or boat ride to MK. You'll have to take 2 monorails from EPCOT but should be quick.

Thanks for your advice and glad you had a nice time at MNSSHP dispite the rain. I had heard on these boards that some received cash back for the ticket just for that reason. You might wan to check that out. It's worth a try if you won't be going back. Too bad the 1 year timeframe. We wanted to eat at Ohanas that night but no luck. Hopefully San Angel will take us when our reservation is and we will have plenty of time to get back to MK. Thanks again!!

Holy Hit or Miss, from the reviews I read.
Can some one reccomend something from the menue for us not inthe know about 'real' Mexican food?
Thanks,
Chris

Its weird...I have never had to wait with an ADR.

I have heard that people on the Dining plan get treated differently.

I have never been on the dining plan. Does anyone else think it makes a difference??? :confused3

I have never been on the dining plan. Does anyone else think it makes a difference??? :confused3

I'd like to know that, too, especially the Free DDP. When making my reservations, they asked, so maybe it shows on the reservation lists the restaurants receive.

No, it doesn't show. They ask you during the reservation process so they can tell you how many table service credits you need for the meal, per person. Period.

It sounds to me like they forgot about OP and their party. If they had just been contrite and apologetic, and mabye comped a drink or desert, people would walk away without such a bad taste in their mouth. Mistakes happen, it's how your treated afterward that matters.

We were on the DDP and felt our treatment was no different based on that. In fact, we found most of the servers to be very nice everywhere (except for one at Ohana, but he was the exception to the rule).

Also, on the Tex-Mex versus authentic question, San Angel is in the style of authentic Mexican cooking.

We recommended SAI to friends of ours, and they didn't care for it. They admitted, though, that their idea of Mexican food is Taco Bell. Guess that explains it! :rotfl:

This was a great opportunity for them to win back a customer, with a small gesture such as a dessert or drink, but they both wanted nothing of the such. Literally the 2 managers were so rude that they would not talk to us and wew had to follow them to hear what they said. Very poor judgement and they obviously had $$$$ in their eyes for the line that was forming at the host stand. One quote I remember vividly was, "we are in priority seating now because they closed the Japanese restaurant" I responded, that DD called us and we moved our reservation here, he walked off again!

It stinks when someone doesn't take the time to make you feel special and cared for, in that kind of situation. They have a service job, they are supposed to be offering service.

That said, I enjoy the heck out of eating lunch at San Angel Inn for the first seating of the day. It's at 11:30 a.m., there's nobody in there, and we always get a table by the water. I like the lunch menu better and it's cheaper.

I am a diabetic and I had the mole poblano and it was delicious. My h had one of the combination platters. We went last Dec for the first time and found it to be romantic. We where walk ups and where sat within an hour I would say. We shopped while we waited.

I am very sorry for your bad experience. I hope Disney makes some sort of guesture for the ugliness you experienced.

... One quote I remember vividly was, "we are in priority seating now because they closed the Japanese restaurant" I responded, that DD called us and we moved our reservation here, he walked off again!
This might be the heart of the problem. This change may not have been coordinated-scheduled well by Disney with the restaurants. Over the years we never had bad service at San Angel Inn and never waited more than 10-15 minutes. It sounds like Disney overloaded restaurants and left restaurant management to deal with it...stress can create odd behaviors.

;) I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I was there the same friday night for dinner at 8:00. We were seated in 5 minutes and loved the service and the dinner. I would definitely go back again :thumbsup2

Sorry you had a negative experience at San Angel Inn. :hug:

It is a Must-Do restaurant for us each visit & have always had wonderful service and great food. We'll be there again in less than 3 weeks. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter