• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Angel Inn Avoid At All Costs

LittleLebowski

Mouseketeer
Was just there this past weekend and arrived 15 minutes early for our 7:00 ADR on Friday. Was told it would be 20 minutes.....After 30 minutes they told me that there were 4 tables in front of us and then we would be sat. After an hour had passed when I went up to the host stand I heard him quote walk up traffic 20 minutes wait and watched them get sat. I politely asked for a manager and Joaquin came to speak to me.....this guy knew what had happened at the front and decides to turn his back on me in the middle of trying to figure out what to do. They have the mentality that there are 100 people waiting behind you that would love your seat! Enter Guillermo, the supposed head guy there....He was a complete buffoon, telling us 'What do you want me to do? I can have a table in 10 minutes", after we waited for 1.5 hours after our ADR at 7:00

I also found out that the restaurants are operated by third party vendors in t he world showcase at Epcot, which explains alot of this donkey named Guillermos attitude! We went to guest services and they listened to us and apologized, etc....but what is really going to happen?

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

San Angel Inn is one of our "don't miss" restaurants. We've always been seated within a few minutes of our ADR, the service was great, and we love the food.

If I were you, I'd contact Disney about what happened.

Sorry about your bad experience!

Have to agree with you. We ate there in Aug, and while we "only" waited 15 minutes for our ADR, we found that the food was only fair, the seating is way too close together, and it is really dark. We were trying to read our menus by the candlelight ! Now, bring on that tequila bar !! :thumbsup2

Another for the "good experience" column. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, and I'd certainly report it. That said...

When we went the first week of June '07, we were taken to our table within five minutes of check-in for our ADR. The meal was terrific. Our server was personable and attentive. Its almost a certainty that we visit San Angel on each family trip.

Sorry about your bad experience at San Angel.

We used to go to San Angel once each trip, but stopped for a few years due to bad reviews. This summer, my DD asked about eating there and we made an ADR. Even though it was a week of July 4th and they were busy, we were seated a few minutes early for our ADR; food and service were both really good. We'd definitely go back!

That is simply uncalled for. I am not sure what you can do at this point, especially since you talked to the managers...but that would put hot steam coming out of my ears!

The blame can be shared with guests who make ADRs and don't show and don't cancel. Unfortunately that leads to overbooking and sometimes the restaurant guesses wrong.

You really can't count the 15 minutes you got to the restaurant early. It sounds like you had to wait a little over an hour. A lot of local restaurants have waits that long, even if a customer has a reservation.

I agree the restaurant could have handled it better but it's not easy for a restaurant to eject a guest who stays longer then anticipated. You didn't say how many guests were in your party. Some restaurants don't have very many smaller tables (for two) or larger tables (for six or more).

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at San Angel. All the times we have eaten here we have NEVER had problems with this eatery. I hope you contact Disney by letter letting them know what happened and how your issue was resolved

Wow...what a terrible experience. I'd definitely tell Disney!

Oh, and as far as the wait...I have a policy of never waiting more than a few minutes to give someone my money. If they want my money, they'd better not make me wait. ;)

The blame can be shared with guests who make ADRs and don't show and don't cancel. Unfortunately that leads to overbooking and sometimes the restaurant guesses wrong.

You really can't count the 15 minutes you got to the restaurant early. It sounds like you had to wait a little over an hour. A lot of local restaurants have waits that long, even if a customer has a reservation.

I agree the restaurant could have handled it better but it's not easy for a restaurant to eject a guest who stays longer then anticipated. You didn't say how many guests were in your party. Some restaurants don't have very many smaller tables (for two) or larger tables (for six or more).

:headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

I think most people that make reservations, expect them to be upheld to say 30 minutes of the reservation or they evaluate if they should go back to that restaurant, because come on, what is the point of the reservation:confused3

While I understand your first sentence, I am quite baffled by the rest of your post. Can you explain to me how in the span of an hour 2 tables did not open up to accomodate our party of 7, when we checked in we made sure that he knew it is not neccessary to sit together. I think you are fishing in deep water with a small bait if you think I wanted a guest ejected from their dinner.

That is sad. Back in May, we had ADRs at San Angel Inn, and it took a while to get seated, as well. But it was crowded, so crowded that they were turning walk-up traffic way.

One of my DSs loved Mexican Food and one doesn't. My DW loves Mexican food and I think it's just OK. Well, both my DS that doesn't like Mexican food and I had a great time and liked our food and the "Mexican Food Lovers" didn't like it as much.

I had the steak. It was good, but I did laugh at the Veg-All veggies that they put on my plate. It is VEG-ALL!!!!:lmao:

My other son, who doesn't like Mexican, simply tore up the fish! But the other two didn't finish their meal and left.

That is sad. Back in May, we had ADRs at San Angel Inn, and it took a while to get seated, as well. But it was crowded, so crowded that they were turning walk-up traffic way.

One of my DSs loved Mexican Food and one doesn't. My DW loves Mexican food and I think it's just OK. Well, both my DS that doesn't like Mexican food and I had a great time and liked our food and the "Mexican Food Lovers" didn't like it as much.

I had the steak. It was good, but I did laugh at the Veg-All veggies that they put on my plate. It is VEG-ALL!!!!:lmao:

My other son, who doesn't like Mexican, simply tore up the fish! But the other two didn't finish their meal and left.

Veg All as in those canned veggies?

Greeeat. I'm going next week...with free dining there's no way I'm getting in somewhere else...if it stinks, just bring on the margaritas!

Greeeat. I'm going next week...with free dining there's no way I'm getting in somewhere else...if it stinks, just bring on the margaritas!

Same here. The only thing is that we have ours for Fri and we're going to MNSSHP. The reservation is early 4:45, so I hope we will be in some of the first groups for dinner. I guess we will just all have to make the best of it!!

Some popular restaurants don't have a problem telling customers, with reservations, to wait in the bar. I agree customers that don't like that have to make an early reservation, wait or find another restaurant.

You said people were seated who arrived after you? It sounds like the restaurant, despite your request, was waiting for a table large enough to accomodate your entire family.

I'll agree you weren't treated properly but I'll repeat my original point. Blame has to be shared with the guests who don't show and don't cancel.

:headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

I think most people that make reservations, expect them to be upheld to say 30 minutes of the reservation or they evaluate if they should go back to that restaurant, because come on, what is the point of the reservation:confused3

While I understand your first sentence, I am quite baffled by the rest of your post. Can you explain to me how in the span of an hour 2 tables did not open up to accomodate our party of 7, when we checked in we made sure that he knew it is not neccessary to sit together. I think you are fishing in deep water with a small bait if you think I wanted a guest ejected from their dinner.

We just got back from 9 nights of DDP dinners including San Angel. We were seated promptly at all 9 restaurants within 15 minutes of our ADR times or arrival.

We ate at San Angle last Sat. night. We had an 8:30 ADR but arrived at 7:30 and were seated at 7:45. I had the filet which was excellent as was everything else. I am an authentic Mexican food lover and San Angels food is great. Those that think Mexican food is tacos, burritos and chimichangas probably will not like San Angel. This was our 3rd time at San Angel. Perfect every time.

We just got back from 9 nights of DDP dinners including San Angel. We were seated promptly at all 9 restaurants within 15 minutes of our ADR times or arrival.

We ate at San Angle last Sat. night. We had an 8:30 ADR but arrived at 7:30 and were seated at 7:45. I had the filet which was excellent as was everything else. I am an authentic Mexican food lover and San Angels food is great. Those that think Mexican food is tacos, burritos and chimichangas probably will not like San Angel. This was our 3rd time at San Angel. Perfect every time.

I am very glad to hear that. We have a reservation there for our last night too. It's rather early since we are going to MNSSHP afterwards. We have never eaten there and we were looking forward to it, but there were so many negative reviews. Glad you enjoyed your dinner and hope we have as a great time as you did. Thanks!!

I'm really sorry that they treated you that way! I also think you should write to Disney and let them know what's going on.

We ate there a few weeks ago and were immediately seated. We had 5:40 ADRs so I don't know if the earlier time had anything to do with it. We really enjoyed it, except for the little pile of veggies that I also got and didn't eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter