Sad mad and everything between.

How did he get in your house?? You say he got in your house when no one was home. Did he break in? Or do you leave the door unlocked? Or was a window open?? Whether it was your brother or not, whoever did this entered your home illegally and burglarized your home. You should have reported it to the police right then and there! I don't get why you didn't.

How did he get in your house?? You say he got in your house when no one was home. Did he break in? Or do you leave the door unlocked? Or was a window open?? Whether it was your brother or not, whoever did this entered your home illegally and burglarized your home. You should have reported it to the police right then and there! I don't get why you didn't.

I was hoping he would give the money back if he thought it would stop me from calling the police. I have reported it the police officer couldn't get here last night but he will come by tonight. And I forgot he knew how to get in because it's never been a problem.

So just as I thought there is not much that they can do but they are looking into his warrants and are going to try to contact him.The officer was very nice and understanding even though I'm sure he sees family theft alot he never acted like it was a waste of his time.

Did you contact your homeowners insurance? They may cover the theft because you filed a police report.

I was hoping he would give the money back if he thought it would stop me from calling the police. I have reported it the police officer couldn't get here last night but he will come by tonight. And I forgot he knew how to get in because it's never been a problem.

If I had a relative or acquaintance who is a known theif and they knew how to get into my house when I'm not home, I would have made sure to fix that immediately. I'm not blaming you, but you (in theory) left the door wide open for him to come in and steal from you.

You'll never see the money. It was gone probably within 15 minutes of him stealing it from you.

I don't know if the cop told you this or not, but you only 'suspect' your brother did this. Unless you have fingerprints or a witness, you have no proof that he did this. Hopefully, they'll pick him up on the warrants and he'll confess (unlikely). You still won't get your money back, though. I also doubt homeowners insurance would cover this since you have no proof of how much money you had there.

Have you spoken to any other family members about this? What is their opinion on it?

First I personally would no longer have anything to do with him, no contact at all, and I would explain why. Definitely change my house locks. When and if he gives you the money back, and apologies then consider reconnecting with him.

Live and learn and put your money locked up in a safe bank, even small amounts of money from a change jar.

Also, take some time and really look how to theft proof your house, lock up everything. Someone was coming into our house, it was someone we knew. My husband was enraged, but started locking and bolting everything, changed all locks, security camera the whole bit. Now if someone really wants in they'll have to break something, then we can file a police report, and be taken seriously.

sorry to hear about the theivery, we suffer from the same situation with my BIL. He has been caught numerous times over the years stealing from his sis (my wife), his mother and his daughter. he has been dry for 12 yrs now but we find that addicts usually just swap one addiction for another, if even that.

while at DLCA from Christmas to New Years this past December, my MIL had $3000 go missing from her closet (she lives in an in-law apt at our house). Interesting facts are there was $6000 in her secret spot that only her daughter and son knew about. Why would a stranger only take half? Also, we had $2600 in top drawer of our dresser, not even hidden by socks or undies, and that didn't dissappear. We also left about $1500 in cash and gift cards in an open shoe box on our kitchen counter as we left in a rush on Christmas day, that too was left untouched. While in CA, my wife had called her bro to ask him about something re: their mother. He happened to be in our house, using our facilities while on lunch break (he lives 4/10 mi from our house and works in town a lot as an excavator). We have an electronic lock on our door and he knows the code (has since been changed).

Upon our return, my MIL came crying to me one morning about a week later and said she had discovered the money missing.

We all know who did it and of course he denies it.

It is very frustrating to have a family member as a thief, stealing from his own family no less. Whats equally sad is he is 50yrs old, not a punk kid.

Hopefully you get lucky and the money re-appears, but from first hand experience it is highly unlikely.

Here's hoping a little good karma comes your way and there is some unexpected windfall that replaces your loss.

Thank you everyone.
Even if I knew how much exactly was there homeowners deductible is too high to cover it.
I know it's not coming back now I only had a chance in the first couple days of getting it back either because he had some left or because I could guilt him into taking a cash advance on a cc to give it back.
He is in hiding and no one has seen him but everyone agrees he is the one who took it :(

I'm hoping for a winfall too :thumbsup2

That's terrible that your brother stole from you. Seems like he is going through a hard time with whatever in his life. If he's stealing from his own sister, he must have a pretty sad existence.

Only hope is that with time, he realizes his wrongdoings and eventually repays you for the money he has taken, in the future. I'm sure it sounds way too optimistic and not likely, but I would like to think he can and will change. Speaking from experience, my younger brother was awful to live with when we were growing up. He was always angry, never listened, tormented me, and hung out with a bad crowd. While he never stole from me, he had friends who did...very expensive jewelry a few times.. they even stole from my mom. It took him getting in trouble to realize he needed to change.... now when I look at him, I could cry (Tears of joy) seeing how much of a better person he has become, who's almost done with his college degree, is such a loving uncle to my kids, and has a really sweet g/f who also is good to my kids. I really hope that your brother comes around, eventually like mine did.

When I worked in banking we contantly got calls and visits from local PD to be on the look out for: (description of people) cashing in coins possibly in (piggy bank, water jug, blue bucket, etc.)

We had a coin machine in our lobby, this happened often, and the PD would also go to the other banks and grocery stores to review their surveillance videos as well.

BUT... and it is a large but... you have to be willing to press charges if it was your brother, otherwise you will just have wasted the time and resources of your Police and that is really not fair to them.

Sorry you are going through this... last year DD's boyfriend stole money from us, out of our Disney jar too, so I sorta know how you feel.

OP, so sorry to hear this happened.

I too have a brother that is not allowed in my house. He has stolen from me since we were kids. My Mother was well aware of it and always just blamed me. I shouldn't have anything in my room I didn't want stolen. He never got in trouble and she never questioned where he got money from. We didn't get an allowance and I earned my own money from the time I was 11. He never did anything. When I was an adult, I lived behind my parents for a couple of years. He came into my home repeatedly and took stuff. My parents owned the home and my Dad had a work room on one end of it that was connected. So my brother was always coming into the work room part. I finally put locks on the part I lived in. One night I came home and the back door had been busted in. I discovered exactly what had been stolen and called the police. Nothing could ever be proven but I knew it was him as I found evidence in my parents house(where he lived) a couple weeks later. My Mother was so mad at me for calling the police. After I moved out, I would not allow him to come to my house at all. Forward a few years, 10 to be exact and I had everyone over for Christmas. My Mother convinced me to invite him and his family also. I did and regretted it ever since. The kids were back in my oldest's room playing video games and he went back to watch them. That evening, my son couldn't find his Christmas money he had put on his desk with his cards and stuff. My brother is not allowed in my house again.

I'm not the only one he stole from and he never did drugs or anything. He just stole things and money. If it was there and he wanted it, he took it.

After I moved out, I would not allow him to come to my house at all. Forward a few years, 10 to be exact and I had everyone over for Christmas. My Mother convinced me to invite him and his family also. I did and regretted it ever since. The kids were back in my oldest's room playing video games and he went back to watch them. That evening, my son couldn't find his Christmas money he had put on his desk with his cards and stuff. My brother is not allowed in my house again.
That is lower than low. I hope karma bites him on the butt big time!

What will he steal next if you allow him to continue with this behavior. How did he have access to the money? Does he live with you? If not I would change my locks

When I was a kid I had an uncle steal $20 from me. $20 was a lot of money.

He died alone young from stomach cancer, I'm told a particularly horrible kind. Karma got him.

Did you contact your homeowners insurance? They may cover the theft because you filed a police report.

We had a small theft from our home and our deductible was $500 so it wasn't worth filing a claim.

The kicker is that we didn't even know someone had entered our house. Dh woke up before me so I assumed he was the one who left the (attached)garage door open and the smaller door that leads into the kitchen. (Occasionally we would accidentally leave the big door open all night but never the little one too. Yes, now this sounds crazy how lax we were but prior to this always felt very safe here.)
We were temporarily storing new kitchen cabinets in our garage so my car was banished to the driveway.
Still clueless, I get ready for work and go out to my car (with kids 5 & 2 to go to day care) and I see my car window was smashed, drivers seat full of broken glass. :mad:
It was easy for them to just click the electric garage door opener and walk right in. They stole ds's game cube & a Harry Potter dvd. Freaky that we slept through it all. :faint:
The other crazy thing is that I used to keep my purse in my car. Ds then 2 was a maniac monkey baby & we could never leave things laying around. It would have all been pulled apart & chewed up. If I had to put it on top of the fridge to keep it out of his reach, I would have forgotten it most days so this is why I always left it in my car. :guilty: So they didn't take my cc, just some spare change in the cup holder. All of my purse stuff & wallet was still there.

This all happened despite having a township cop living across the street, another retired one a few houses down, and an FBI agent across the street a few doors down. The officer who responded to my call happened to be my parents' neighbor who I've known prob 30 yrs, since I lived at home. He basically chalked it up to teenage stupidity and said nothing usually comes out of this. :headache: Would have been nice if he even tried to get some fingerprints or something. Act like he cared. :rolleyes1

Needless to say, my car is back in the garage and we have a major deadbolt on the small door, and I always double check that every door is locked every night. Dh still has a garage door opener in his truck but at least they can't enter inside the house. :sick: They can have the nasty trash cans!

You have the right but you also have to understand the people who come into your space. If one is a known thief then you don't leave cash on the counter. Unfortunately.

Comparing it to rape is a push of an analogy. But if you want to go there, if you bring a known rapist into your home you don't leave them alone with your teen age daughter. Even though she has the right to safety.

But, OP said it was hidden in her closet and he entered her house when no one was home. That's not the same as leaving $ on the counter and inviting over a known thief.

He has to cash this money in at a local coin star or bank Can you show his picture around and see? If you find the right place they will have video footage of him cashing it in. Sorry that happened...it is awful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter