Running with music

Kewz1

DIS Veteran
I have a question for all of you. I am starting to consider running with an iPod (or is it Ipod? ipod?). However, when I have attempted to run while listening to music in the pastI found myself trying to run and breathe to the beat of the music. This didn't work out to well for me -- and I'm sure I was a distraction to others around me. :woohoo: --> Me :eek: --> Them

Has this ever been a problem for any of you and how did you overcome it? I'm asking because I really struggle with running. There will be nothing physically wrong -- legs feel great, breathing is good -- but I will want to quit. I need a distraction and that is where the iPod/Ipod/ipod comes in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Kristen

I find that I can get into a good rhythm when I run with the tempo of the music.

I ran for about 6 months before I started taking the Ipod along on my runs. During that time, I took a suggestion out of Runners World to breathe in for two steps and out for two steps. It only took a few days to get it and that helped when I transitioned to listening to the music. I would actually say, "in, in, out, out as I ran, over and over. I still do sometimes.

Kristen - There are music sites out there that have a beat to specifically pace yourself. Maybe that would help as opposed to follwing fast adn slower beats. DOn't haev the sites, but it was posted in a weekly thread fairly recently.

I've created play lists specifically for walking at different paces otherwise I have a tendency to follow the music. Have to try the breathing Scott suggested so I can change up the music mix a little.

I find that I can get into a good rhythm when I run with the tempo of the music.

I ran for about 6 months before I started taking the Ipod along on my runs. During that time, I took a suggestion out of Runners World to breathe in for two steps and out for two steps. It only took a few days to get it and that helped when I transitioned to listening to the music. I would actually say, "in, in, out, out as I ran, over and over. I still do sometimes.

I am very prone to stitches so I have to make sure I exhale while stepping on my left foot. Instead of saying "in, in, out, out" I actually make a sound something like "hee hee whoo hee hee whoo" while running. I am such a distratction. :guilty:

OT -- I love the pic in your signature. We've taken a few "creative" shots there also. Too funny!

Thank you!!!!

I've created play lists specifically for walking at different paces otherwise I have a tendency to follow the music. Have to try the breathing Scott suggested so I can change up the music mix a little.

Glad to now I'm not the only one! I saw a sticky at the top that lists music choices. I'm going to see if any of those might work for me.

I actually make a sound something like "hee hee whoo hee hee whoo"

Kristen: That sounds like you're in labor! Breathe! Breathe!

So glad you are posting here. Give Kevin my/our love.

:hug:

Howard

Kristen: That sounds like you're in labor! Breathe! Breathe!

So glad you are posting here. Give Kevin my/our love.

:hug:

Howard

:lmao: :rotfl: I didn't even tnink about that!

Thanks -- I am too. And I did. Hugs to you and the fam. :grouphug:

Kristen

I have pretty much always had to run with music. I feel off if I don't. I have an Ipod Nano and have several running playlists with music that is good for running. Good luck!

Here's another thought:

I listen to audio books when I'm on long runs. I never have time to read so it's a treat for me. I can't wait to run so that I can hear my story. It doesn't seem to mess with my pace at all. Sometimes I get totally lost in the story and before I know it, my run is done.

Have fun!

Here's another thought:

I listen to audio books when I'm on long runs. I never have time to read so it's a treat for me. I can't wait to run so that I can hear my story. It doesn't seem to mess with my pace at all. Sometimes I get totally lost in the story and before I know it, my run is done.

Have fun!

That's something I hadn't thought of! I like to read when I am on the treadmill and love to listen to Radio Classics on Sirius when driving in the car. You may just have hit on something that would work for me. Thanks!!

Kristen

Let me ask a question 1st....are you wanting to use an Ipod for the treadmill, outside, or both?
I use the Ipod for the treadmill but not outside....I know everyone is saying...AHHHH, Christa get off the Ipod soapbox...but....
It is NOT SAFE to run outside with music. You just cannot hear what is going on around you. I hate to say this (but I am a woman) it is more dangerous for a woman to run with it than a man. Face it ladies, we are just more of a target.
So this is what I do when I run (short or long)...
1. Focus on breathing
2. Enjoy being out in the fresh air.
3. Figure out my pace with the math facts I have been teaching my children.
4. Solve work related problems...you would be surprised how many get solved on a 20 mile run.
5. Focus on not getting hit by a car.
6. Write songs or go over songs in my head.
7. Run with someone else and talk.
8. Pretend like I am stomping on cancer (my mom is going through this and it makes me feel better to stomp on it).:confused:
9. Pick people to catch up with and pass.
10. The main thing I do is pray...I try to pray for 1 person each mile. It is really cool to be able to take 3 hours on a 20 mile run and really talk to the Lord about what is on my heart.

That is just what I do...I enjoy my run more without running and feel safer.

MY sister and I both walk with Ipods, but with a nod to safety, we use only one earphone! If the thought of the other ear phone bouncing around bothers you, then do what we we do ....... buy a $5 set from someplace like Target or Walmart and cut off one end.

Works just fine except for a few musicals I have on my Ipod where duets play back and forth between the "speakers".

We do not use our Ipods for races, only training. Races are far too interesting to be distracted :lmao:

Christa, I often find myself enjoying a moment of the beauty around me thinking and praying. You have a good serious point for all of us to consider.

I do however take my Ipod with me too when I am outside on some of my longer LRs and when I have it on I always have it just audible so that I can hear anyone passing (or coming up behind me) and can hear the birdies chirping too.

Mostly I will have my Ipod on the TM at the gym or home if I'm not tuned into the TV at home.

This is the sticky on the thread listing some music: Anyone willing to share Music List for Marathon Weekend?

gatorphillips-from charlotte-just moved to the area recently and just started running this year. I was a walker and would pray as I walked, actually it was the praying that lead to walking. Now-where do you run outside?...the only place I have run outside is the Mallard Creek/something creek greenway. No hills, but busy on the weekends.

I am thinking about trying to run outside w/out the ipod. On the treadmill I don't know how I would make w/out it. I only use sound in my left ear mostly because I have a right ear issue so I wrap the right ear thing around my bra strap and tuck it in-sorry guys not an option for you.

I normally don't run with music and never use it in a race but this weekend I had to get the mp3 player out and load some songs on there. When I used the mp3 player before when running I would only ever use 1 earpiece for safety but when I tried doing this yesterday the dang thing kept falling out of my ear. So I compromised and put both earpieces inside my shirt and wrapped them around my bra. I could hear my music fine and I had no wires hanging. I do pass people on my run but I am not around people constantly and really I think its not that loud that the passing people would hear it. I am going to be getting into longer runs so I want to be prepared for those and I know the music will help (since I know the TV does when I am on the TM at home) And again I wouldn't even think of taking my mp3 player with me in a race because its one more thing to deal with and in a race I need to focus on just running/walking - getting to the finish line!!

gatorphillips-from charlotte-just moved to the area recently and just started running this year. I was a walker and would pray as I walked, actually it was the praying that lead to walking. Now-where do you run outside?...the only place I have run outside is the Mallard Creek/something creek greenway. No hills, but busy on the weekends.

I am thinking about trying to run outside w/out the ipod. On the treadmill I don't know how I would make w/out it. I only use sound in my left ear mostly because I have a right ear issue so I wrap the right ear thing around my bra strap and tuck it in-sorry guys not an option for you.

Hey Joan! I also run on the Mallard Creek/Clark Creek Greenway. We need to run together sometime...what is your pace, What mileage are you putting in?
I would recomend being verycareful using music on the greenway. I run and bike on it all the time and do feel safe, but it is somewhat secluded.
I am training for a Tri and a 1/2 marathon...the 1/2 is with my sister and a friend. If you need to run with someone let me know...maybe we could meet, I live near the beginning of the greenway (the soccer field side).

I listen to my favorite podcasts while I run. It helps me to think about WDW, which is a huge distraction, and it passes the time very well!

I also use the iPod and Nike+ system, so my iPod gives me feedback on my mileage and pace. It also gives motivational feedback to keep me going!

gatorphipps-I will pm you as soon as I can figure out how...I think you are above me in your running.

Hey baby! You know I am addicted to using my iPod when running and I have the same problem with music - tend to run with the beat and that can get dangerous with some songs. I started listening to podcasts only for my runs and that did the trick - learned something informative, was adequately entertained to pass the time. Like others have posted, I keep the volume pretty low so I can hear what's going on around me though. I am just happy you want an iPod! I got my 4 mb Nano back up and running so I have one if you want me to send it to you - will talk tonight when you call. Love you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter