Running through Disneyland, My DL 5k & ½ Marathon PTR!!

Those pumpkin carriages are AWESOME! I want one so bad for our carriage business, but they cost around $12,000 bucks! Getting excited for this next week- have been tryingot keep from packing my bag as well,lol!

I got to the Disney Store in time yesterday!! I was worried that they would sell out, but when I got there, they still had some in a couple of tupperware boxes. Here's what he looks like:

And here's the tin he came in:

He's so cute!! I love it!!

With this race will you be running for time, or stopping for pictures and such? The music sounds like a great idea, I'm just wondering how the timing will be later in the race. Maybe it will matter less as you are out of the parks.

Hey everyone!! My TR is finally done, and I'll post it today. The weekend was short, but good. The TR would've been done a lot sooner, but a few days after I got home, I got a really bad cold. Completely wiped me out for the last week and 1/2. Thankfully though I think it's finally almost gone.

Everything was packed and ready to go Wednesday night, so Thursday was a nice relaxing evening before the trip down. And my nails came out perfect!!

Anyways, I'll have the report up in the a little bit, just adding in the last couple of pics!

~Friday, my DL trip is finally here!!!~I got my way and we left early!! I knew I would win. We were out of the house by 4:10 and after a short stop at the gas station, we were on the freeway by 4:30. Not a lot of traffic at that time, but a lot of trucks, and b/c of light traffic, it was pretty much cruise control the whole way down. Once we were at the end of the 152, I started checking for traffic w/ the construction. (That was my biggest worry of the trip.) We got to the one lane part around 7:45 or so and thankfully had no problems! The 1st section, there was no one in front of us and on the 2nd section, we were behind a truck, but aside from a slight slowing down, no worries. Had a quick stop just past Valencia, and we were on our way again. There weren’t any problems getting through downtown LA; a little slowing outside of downtown before DL, but if you’ve ever driven down to DL on the 5, you expect that, so it wasn’t bad. We pulled into the Travelodge about 9:45, so we made great time!

Our room was ready, so we got to check in. The lady said it was 3rd floor, but that wasn’t a big deal, well, at least until Sunday after the race. :rotfl2:We got a corner room, away from the street facing the Super 8, so not only was it a large room, it was really quiet. We got everything unloaded and were finally on our way into the parks.

We walked over the onramp by Mickey and Friends to catch the tram to DTD and the parks. The lines into DL were not long at all, and we were on Main Street by 10:45.

It was perfect in the parks, there were people, but the waits weren’t that long at all and we had no problems whatsoever. We pretty much walked right onto to Splash and Pirates right off the bat; no more than a 5 minute wait.

See, not a lot of people! And 1 of my fave places in the park~
Our first wait of the day was on Indy. But that was about 20-25 minutes. After that, it was on to Matterhorn, and that was about 15 minutes or so, but w/ it just reopening, I was expecting a lot longer.
I took a ton of pics b/c the old sleds were out and I wanted to make sure I had some pics before they changed in the next refurb. The cool part was that I sat in the front section and w/ an app on my touch, I shot the whole ride in a 60s style little video. The only downside of the video is when you go from inside to the outside and there isn’t enough time for the image to adjust, but the video is awesome. It’s really like I was shooting it way back when. Autopia wasn’t long so we hopped on that one too. By then, we were kinda hungry and the expo was open so onto DTD for some lunch. The train was pulling in, so a short little ride around to Main Street.

Lunch was at Naples, their pizza is so delicious. We split a small pizza, but if you’ve eaten there, you know even a small pizza, isn’t that small and a salad.

It was on to the expo after lunch. We had a crazy maze-like walk over to the expo w/ the construction going on at the hotel. After the maze, it was downstairs to pick up my bibs. Once again, perfect timing and I had almost no wait! There’ve been times in the past where the wait for my bib or the park tix where I’ve waited more than 15 minutes in line!! Then it was upstairs for the rest of the race stuff and the vendors. The expo was in the same ballroom that is has always been, but this year, there were less vendors so it took a lot less time than I planned. Stopped by the race souvenir area, but didn’t really find anything that I really liked. I saw a shirt, but I have so many now, it really has to be a different type to peak my interest.

B/c we weren’t at the expo very long, probably an hour, we were on our way back towards DCA. As we walked down DTD, we stopped in the Vinylmation Store and the Vault, as well as the Disney Store, but didn’t see anything. It may be me, but I remember when I used to go to DL and never have a problem finding at least one thing I wanted to buy, but the past couple of years, aside from art pieces that I could never afford, I haven’t really found anything. We got a locker, and then into the new maze of DCA.

It’s so crazy to see how much DCA has changed, not only since I was there last year, but from when it 1st opened and to think how much it will change by the time I get back in January and again next Labor Day. As you walk in now, along the walls they have pictures of what everything will look like when they’re all done and I can’t wait. I love old Hollywood, so it’ll be fun to be transported back at least for the day. And I was surprised at how tall the Cathay Theater building is; it’s a lot larger than I thought.

First stop in DCA was Soarin’. You come out there, and the wait wasn’t long so that worked out great. After that,
No line, just the regular waiting to enter the waiting room
and then it was on to the elevators and the dropping!!! I love that ride!! By the time we got off the ride, it was about 4:00, so we picked up our picnic boxes and FPs for WOC. We stopped off at Pacific Wharf, b/c my dad wanted a beer and I got a Margarita at Rita’s. I really wish they would sell chips and salsa, if they did, they would make a fortune!

We people watched for a while, and then it was down to the Pier. I stopped in a store really quick to check out some earrings for the race. They had some really simple Mickey Heads and Tinkerbell studs, so I picked them up. We passed on Screamin’, my dad’s not big on roller coasters so no riding, but we stood on the bridge and watched them take off. It’s so funny watching people as the brace for the shoot off. Then on to TSMM. I have to say, I love that ride too! I think it’s the competitiveness in me. I really do need to check out and see if they a game or an app like the ride, b/c it is one of the most entertaining rides there. Needless to say, I won!!! My dad beat me on accuracy and he said that’s what counts, but we all know that’s not true. :rotfl:

Once we were off TSMM, we wandered around the games and shops, passing a little bit of time before dinner. We had some dinner at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. That place is huge! There were lots of places to eat and the area to pick up the food was roomy as well. I like the area off to the side w/ the fans. He had the Italian Chef Salad and I had the Chicken Sundried Tomato Pasta. It was good and the sauce had a slight hint (for me) of heat that was a good touch; would definitely eat there again.

Now that dinner was over, and I was carbed up for Sunday, we walked over to LM. The line wasn’t bad, about a 10 minute or so wait. I don’t know about that one, I have to go on it again for a consensus. For me, it was an okay ride. I know that they can’t fit the entire story in a ride, but it just seemed like too big of a jump in the story from room to room. I liked at the beginning of the ride when they turn you backwards at an angle w/ water bubbles like you’re really going under the sea, it’s really relaxing. It’s my fav part of HM too. If the ride stopped there for some reason, I could totally see myself having no problem falling asleep there! And the Under the Sea room was amazing! As we entered the room, my mouth literally dropped open.

By the time we got off the ride, it was about 7:00 or so, and we weren’t sure what the deal w/ the WOC color areas so we walked over to the CMs who were setting up and what to do. We got Yellow area FPs so they told us we could wait over by the little light house/tower thing until it was time to get in line. I wanted to get off my feet for a while, so I went over there and my dad went over to the GC. After we got into the Yellow area, we found a place midway up next to some stairs so that’s where we stayed. popcorn::Let me just say Oh My God! That show was absolutely incredible. I can’t even put it into words. I cannot wait until I see it again. I wasn’t sure about the show, I’m not a big Fantasmic person, but I would watch this show every night I was at the park. Our seats we good, but next time, I want to be a little more centered; we were off a little to the right. But it was a great show. And timing was perfect as we were leaving and the fireworks were going off so we had a perfect view of them.

Picked up the stuff from the locker and then back to the hotel. We were going to stop at Marcelline’s, but the line was crazy long, so we just hopped on the tram.

~Saturday, 5k and a little DL~So Saturday wasn’t a great day. I woke up around 5, and just did not feel well.:sick: If it was any other 5K, I probably would have skipped it, but being DL, I wasn’t going to miss it.

I headed out to the start line around 5:45. The race started at 6:45 at the tram loading area at the Mickey and Friends Parking Lot. They had a DJ for the pre-race and it was in full swing by the time I got there. The theme was Star Tours. Now I love the Star Wars movies, and I get that Star Tours just opened recently, but I wasn’t really over the top about the theme. But that’s okay, you can’t like every theme. The new thing they did at the 5K this year was a small wave start based on how fast you think you’ll run. I liked that, it wasn’t as crowded in tight areas like it has been in the past.
Right before the race started, there was a staged act w/ :darth: and Storm Troopers and then the race started!

Knowing that I wasn’t feeling well, and taking it easy, I took my time and a lot of pictures, but in the end, even though I wasn’t feeling well, I really liked taking my time and enjoyed everything a lot more than I have in the past. I’ve done MMs before, but being in the parks this early and in the back of the park, it really is pretty. The sun hits HM and Matterhorn at an angle that’s’ just different then being there during the day. And even with 4,500 runners, the parks were just seemed so peaceful.

This year, we entered backstage right off the bat.
Off to the right, the was a refurbish building for ride cars like the Caterpillar from Alice, a few POC boats and even some Doom Buggies. I was about to take a picture, but then a Security Guard yelled at me, so sadly no pics. It was really cool too, b/c the Caterpillars were sanded down and everything! We were backstage a little longer and then it was into the parks. We entered over by Splash, the door CMs and characters come in and out that you see as you exit the ride.
Past
and
, by
and back to backstage again! We came out in the park in time to run by IASW and through Toon Town, but then backstage again down to the Monorail/Train area and back out on the other side of IASW. Soon we were running through Tomorrowland and by
, then it was around the hub and down Main Street. After exiting the park, we made a sharp left and we were on the outside of the park but still backstage. It was on the outside of the Train/Dinosaur area. We passed the entrance area for CMs and then under the street!!!
There’s an underpass by the crosswalk on Harbor and the hotel shuttles drop you off. You’d never know it existed. As we came up, we were on the outside of DCA. Running by TOT, to our right was Cars Land. I’ve seen pics online, and knew how big the old parking lot used to be, but wow!!!! It is absolutely ginormous. I was blown away by how big it really is, especially when you are street level going right by it. After we ran around Cars Land and the back of Screamin, it was into DCA and the finish line!! I picked up my medal and then back to the trams and the hotel.

Still wasn’t felling 100%, so my dad went on to the parks w/o me and I stayed at the hotel a little bit longer. Finally made it over to the parks around 11 and just played it pretty low key. No fun rides, like Space or BTMRR.:sad2: We had a small wait for POC again; the Jungle Cruise was a little bit longer, but nothing crazy. For lunch, we went to Zocalo’s, I love that place. I had their Tortilla Soup and my dad had the Tostada Salad. Their chicken tacos are my favorite, but not this time.

After lunch, we went over to Fantasyland for a few rides. Longer waits than POC and Jungle, but you figure that going in so it wasn’t that bad. By then, it was about 3:15 and I wanted to see the Soundsational Parade, so we split up and I headed to Main Street. I really liked all the floats, especially the Mary Poppins one. I can’t remember the last one I saw there. I know I saw the Lion King Parade way back when and the Christmas one years ago, but there has to be one that I’ve seen since. Once the parade was over, we headed to the Monorail and DTD.

We got to the ESPN Zone, right before 5, and inside was crazy. I know it was the start of College Football, but I haven’t seen the inside so packed w/ people like that in forever. It didn’t really make a big difference to me, b/c I was getting take out to take back to the hotel after a quarter or 2. We walked into the bar area and looked for a place to sit. Now the timing was awesome, b/c I’m a huge LSU Football fan. The game was about to start, we were looking for a table, there were none, but this really nice guy, also a LSU fan, told us we could sit with him. It was just the luck of the weekend! Living in NorCal, it’s all about Stanford and Cal, and USC thrown in when we’re down in the parks. So it was nice to be able to have a conversation w/ and watch the game w/ someone who is a LSU fan. :cheer2: About ½ way through the 2nd quarter, I ordered some dinner and back to the hotel to rest up and get ready for Sunday.

~Sunday, Race Day!!!~I didn’t really sleep the night before. I have no problem falling asleep; it’s the staying asleep that’s the problem. I’ll usually wake up around 12 or 1, and then, I can never fall back asleep. I don’t know why either, I’ve run so many races. And I don’t really get nervous anymore until the start line, but for some reason, I can never sleep the whole night through.

I had 2 alarms and a wake-up call set for 4:15, race OCD!! :rotfl2: Got dressed, grabbed my stuff and was on my way over the ramp 1 last time. By the time I got to the staging area, it was already crowded, but found my usual space in the back to stretch out and get ready away from the crowds. Got over to my corral early and then it was a waiting game for the start of the race. Weather was good. Not hot, but no marine layer, which would have been nice. Although, for the 1st part of the race there were scattered clouds and they helped out especially when I was running into the sun.

Here’s pics of the start & finish from DTD.

I was finally to the start line around 6:15-6:20 and ready to get going! We ran around the outside of the parks and entered DCA through the backstage area near TOT. We ran through Hollywood Back Lot and around over towards the Grizzly Run. When we were running through the Back Lot, it was almost like a microclimate b/c of the walls and heat from the runners. After that, it was through the exit by Soarin and across the Promenade into DL!! We went down Main Street, through Tomorrowland, through Fantasyland and the Castle. After that, it was through Frontierland off to the left around the Rivers into Critter Country. We entered the backstage area by Splash and ran around the backstage area, into Toon Town pass IASW and back into the backstage area again. We exited the park coming out on the downhill part of the overpass and into and around Anaheim. Finally around Mile 12 we were back at DL, but over behind CarsLand. Then we turned onto the Service Road and we could see the finish line!!! Got my medal and bag, and then back over the ramp to the hotel. It was a slow walk back, and I swear the ramp doubled in size after the race. This year, the timing chips were on the back of the bibs, but when my dad put everything in the locker on Friday, my bib got all bent up, so no official time, but I think it was somewhere b/w 2:45 and 2:50. Was hoping for a little bit faster, but I’m happy w/ it.

Got back to the hotel, relaxed and showered and we were on our way. We left about 10:45 or so and after a gas stop were the road. Probably the only thing that I like about leaving DL is that we stop at Pioneer Chicken on the way home. :love: I haven’t been a big fast food person in a long time, but this is a must stop whenever we leave DL. There are only a couple left, all in the LA area, and 1 of them is in Boyle Heights right off the 5, so you can pop off the freeway and back on again w/o wasting any time. They are sooooo much better than KFC or Popeye’s, I think it’s the batter. After that, on the way home. Once again, traffic was light. I think it was b/c it was Sunday instead of Monday. There were cars on the road, but it wasn’t bad. Even the construction wasn’t a problem. I was home about 4:15 or so, we made really good time.

And sadly, that was the end of a short trip to DL. Now I have to wait until January. I’ve started to think out the whole set up for next year and tickets, and what to do. I have to wait until the Jan. calendar comes out, but I’m playing around w/ the whole annual pass thing. If a lot of rides aren’t down in Jan., I’ll be in the park for 3, and 3 Labor Day, and I was thinking about a small Halloween trip. Then I realized that the pass won’t expire until the end of the following January for Tink again, and in 2013, I’m going to WDW for the Marathon and then Premier Passport popped in my head. I’ll know for sure at the end of the year, but if it’s cost effective, especially with the discounts, I’m definitely contemplating it.

I was in the section of 10min runners & walkers, but when we moved up wave-wise, I ended up right at the rope so that was neat. I kinda felt like a superfast runner!! :rotfl2:

Where were you lined up?

I was quite literally right on the starting line :rotfl: Did you see the two woman dressed as Jedi knights?

No, I missed them. Were you in the same wave set? I was standing pretty much all the way on the right next to the hedges. I was next to this lady was in a full length Snow White costume.

Gooootcha. I misread that the first time. I was in the first wave. I totally didn't even realize they did that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter