Running through Disneyland, My DL 5k & ½ Marathon PTR!!

Neat that the run takes you through the backstage areas. You'll be so tired when you get home you'll need a vacation from your vacation! :surfweb:

So neat to see the old photos. I went in about 1987? There may be only about 3 photos of it though. And I never went back until 2009!

The tired thing won't be too bad~ Monday's a holiday so I get to sleep in! Maybe a little sore though :goodvibes

You should try and come down and do the race sometime. It truly is one of the best races that I've ever done. If you're not a big runner, you can do the 5k, it's just a little over 3 miles. You have about an hour to do the race. A lot of families do it and take their kids and walk the whole thing. And getting to see backstage and the CMs out there cheering you on, is such a great experience.

20 years? That's a big gap! I had a smaller one, my last trip when I was little was in '86 and then didn't go again until '93 and it seemed like forever. :rotfl2: But after the '93 trip, it was at least once a year, but it helps being closer to the park.

Today, I'm one a little bit closer to the race and my trip!!! :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum

They released our bib numbers/waivers for the races. For the Star Tours 5K, I'm #3989 and for the DL 1/2, I'm #7712. With the 5k, it's not a timed race, so your number is pretty much when you signed up. The 1/2, becuase it is a timed and seeded race, your number depends on the time you submitted. I think I'm somewhere in the middle. Hopefully I can run a little faster in a 10K that I'm doing the week before to get a higher corral and start a little bit earlier, but if not, I'm good where I am.

Now I'm just waiting for DL to release the DCA Entertainment schedule for Friday so I can call for WOC and I'm ready to go!

Glad you got your bib numbers! I sort of have mine for the 5K. The problem is they have my age/birthdate wrong and now I have to go about fixing that. Sigh.

The Entertainment Hours were finally released for DCA today!!! Just went on line and ordered the picnic viewing for the 9:00 show on Friday for WOC!! :yay::yay::yay: My dad's getting the European Antipasto and I'm doing the ever-so-elegant Junior All-American Lunchbox:snooty:. :rotfl2:

We're sloooowwwwly getting closer!

Hey thanks or posting that about the bib numbers and what they are based on. I signed up for the half on the day they opened registration, but my number is 13026...When I signed up I had not ran any races to submit times for yet... My mom and SIL have not gotten their race bib info yet...

That is cool about the bib numbers. I like the numbers you too Kim, they sound fast.

I'm almost at 3 weeks away!!!!! If you couldn't tell, I'm just a little excited. :rotfl2:

I bought the tickets for Saturday today, so as of now, everything is set and paid for and we're ready to go. Talked to my dad and he just wants to do DL on Saturday, so I got us the 1day park ticket. I almost talked him into staying over on Sunday night and just driving back, but he is worried about crowds and traffic. Why you ask? I honestly have no answer for you. Yes, the parks do have some crowds, but it's not crazy like it is right now. And the drive home, if we leave in the morning, is not bad. But I'll be back down in January, so I figured I just go along w/ leaving on Sunday.

And since we're only going to DCA on Friday, a good portion will have to be spent there. As long as I get on TOT, I will be a happy girl. It's been so long since I've been on that ride, I'll have to get my fix in. Plus, we have WOC that night, so I know that's where my night will end.

As for the running portion of the trip, things are going well. This past weekend I ran the Providence Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon and that was an experience. The course was absolutely beautiful in my opinion. Lots of Cape Cod style houses, there was a park that we ran through as well as along the water. Definitely not like running here in Cali!:goodvibes The weather was another story. Pouring rain from before the start of the race until just after I finished. After I finished, I met my sister to take the train back up to Boston (where she lives, and I was also visiting) and it looked like I had jumped in the ocean. I was dripping wet, clothes wet, shoes wet and I'm pretty sure even my bones were dripping wet. :rotfl: The good thing is that all my big races are over until DL. I have the Giants 10K race the weekend before, but that's just up at the ballpark and I'm scheduled to run 6 that weekend so it works out perfectly. And now, I can concentrate on those fun races!

In honor of being so close to my trip, I complied a list of faves at the parks.

My favorite land is NOS. NO is my favorite city, so it makes sense. I kinda like it at Christmas more than regular style though. My fave non-ride spot is in one of the courtyards in NOS. It’s the one w/ the staircase, I think it was the one that Tianna was using for the meet and greet. It’s one of the best quiet places in the park; that and the backside of Tom Sawyer’s Island up near the old fort and graveyard. My fave non-ride attractions are the swaying rope bridge and the barrel bridge on Tom Sawyer’s Island. Couldn’t tell you why, probably b/c I remember playing on the bridge when I was little. Rides are a little harder, b/c I really do like all of them, even the canoes! I would have to put serious thought into it if I had to answer that one. Fave snack/junk food are the Churros and Honeycomb, always a must have. As for stores, it’s a tossup b/w the Disney Gallery, DisneyAna and the Bazaar/Outpost. My fave secret for DL is the hidden barn that’s next to POC where you stood in line if the line went outside and wrapped around. After you went in the courtyard and winded up the walkway, it’s off to the left of the ride. Now there’s a pylon there that blocks it. But I remember when I was younger and it was crowded we would stand in line there. You hooked up with the inside of the part by a door that’s still there on the left side of the line on the inside. Nobody seems to remember the barn that often and sometimes I think I’m a crazy person, oh well. The one thing that I’ve never done is to sit on the porch at the end of Main Street w/ the chairs and people watch. Don’t know if I could do that though, I’d feel like I’m wasting time when I could be running around DL.

As for DCA… love love love TOT! I could ride that ride all day; it’s even more fun when my sister goes on it w/ me, b/c she screams bloody murder, it is seriously one of the funniest things in the world. Just the thought of it makes me laugh! The Maliboomer was good too. I would love when you would get to the top, before they dropped you, and you could see forever. It was so pretty up there. Used to love getting free tortillas, but sadly no more. My favorite store is Off the Page with all the art and statues. Ahhh... if only I had more wall space and money. This is a new one that I found and absolutely love. :love::cloud9::love: But, sadly, it's too expensive and again, no wall room. But if I win the lottery, I'll let you know.

Only 2 more weeks to go!!! :yay: It’s now time to start watching my “Required Pre-Trip Disneyland” Movies. USA and the Sy-Fy Channel helped out this week by airing POC: World’s End and POC: Dead Man’s Chest. Here’s the list of my must watch movies before I go to DL:
Cinderella (Only b/c she’s my fave:love:)
Sleeping Beauty (She’s been growing on me lately)
POC: Curse of the Black Pearl
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (my fave of the 3)
Haunted Mansion (not particularly a fave, but still gets me in the mood)
Tower of Terror
Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic
Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland USA
Walt Disney Treasures – Mickey Mouse (Both in B/W and Color)
Disney Parks ~ It’s a video that has 2 specials on DL and WDW, they’ve played before on the Travel Channel, sister got it for me at Borders really cheap!!

Other than that, it’s mostly counting down the days til we leave. I think everything is set as far as plans. We’ve got our tickets, hotel resies, WOC resies and race waivers. Can’t think of anything else. The one thing that will be a day of trip decision is the route down to DL, but that all depends on how the construction on the 5 looks while we’re driving down. I already have my list for what to pack, and it’s taking everything I have not to pack right now.

The only other thing I have to work on is accessories from the ½ on Sunday. Not a person who can run in a costume, I’d get too hot and aggravated with everything on me, but accessories won’t be hard. Going over to Michael’s and Party City this weekend to check stuff out. On a side note, was in Walgreen’s this morning on my way to work and found the perfect nail polish for the Tink ½ in Jan. And it was only 99¢! I was so excited.

Oooohhhh, I'm so excited for you and to hear how it all goes! I just ran my very first half marathon a couple weeks ago in San Francisco. I felt like i was going to die during that last mile and swore to myself never again! Well, two days later I registered for the Tinker Bell Half, which I am soooo excited for!!!! I'm fairly new to the running world and I'm finding that it is kind of addictive!

Reading through your report so far makes me super excited for you!

Oooohhhh, I'm so excited for you and to hear how it all goes! I just ran my very first half marathon a couple weeks ago in San Francisco. I felt like i was going to die during that last mile and swore to myself never again! Well, two days later I registered for the Tinker Bell Half, which I am soooo excited for!!!! I'm fairly new to the running world and I'm finding that it is kind of addictive!

Reading through your report so far makes me super excited for you!

Thanks! Congrats on your 1st race!! Did you do the 1st 1/2 or the 2nd half? I did the 1st and I love it. Especially the view coming back over the bridge. Haven't done the 2nd 1/2 yet. I'm thinking maybe next year.

Hi Kim!!! :goodvibes
I have never been to DL so it was hard to follow your plans. :rotfl: but I know you will have a blast!!! Come back over here though!!! lol

Thanks! Congrats on your 1st race!! Did you do the 1st 1/2 or the 2nd half? I did the 1st and I love it. Especially the view coming back over the bridge. Haven't done the 2nd 1/2 yet. I'm thinking maybe next year.

I did the 2nd Half. Running through Golden Gate Park and down Haight St. was incredible! If I do it again, I'm going to do the 1st Half so I can experience the whole course!

Let me start off by saying that it was so hard not to pack this weekend. I really wanted to, but I figured I could just do it this weekend. I’m really only going to be there for 2 days and Sunday we’re driving back right after the race, so no real need to plan for Sunday except for something comfortable.

We’re still deciding how to drive down to DL b/c of the construction thing. My dad’s leaning towards 101 down until LA and then hook up w/ the 5, but while it’s a really pretty drive, especially from Pismo down through Ventura, it just takes so long. I’m thinking we go down on the 5, and once we get on the 5 from the 152, we’ll just check the 5 website to see how bad it is, if they’re working that early that way we can cut over to the 99 until the Grapevine. So we’ll see. Hopefully, I’ll get my way. I don’t mind the 101 on the way home, b/c we’ll just be going home and sadly, DL won’t be there when we get home.

Went to Michael’s and Party City for inspiration or a spark of an idea for the race accessories this weekend. I'm not really a creative person, but I was hoping for something. I'm not big on the costume thing for me; accessories yes, but not full on. I would get to hot and it would drive me crazy!! :laughing: Last year, I got a foam sheet and cut out a Mickey Head to pin on my hat, so that's kinda where my thinking is, decorative, but not inhibiting.

First up was Party City. I started w/ the costume area, b/c they're getting stuff out for Halloween. I saw a Mickey Ear headband that I was thinking about, but started thinking about the pressure above my ears around Mile 9-10 and decided against it. But aside from that and something I would have to carry like a wand or gloves, not much help for me. Then I went over to the party sections and didn’t really know if I wanted to go more Princess-y or Mickey. So scanned both sections, and decided on Mickey. The princess section didn’t really have much that I could do something w/, and you kind of need the costume w/ them. Then I found some cardboard Mickey Ear things, so picked those up. Here’s a pic:

Hopefully they won’t be too tight, didn’t take them out of the bag yet. I figured I could bend the ears up and it could lay flat along the top of my hat.

At Michaels, I picked up some green puffy paint, a lime green duck tape sheet, green ribbon, little tiny green sticker rhinestones and these lime green sheer, "girly" shoelaces. Shoelaces~ obviously, are for my shoes, intertwining them w/ my real shoelaces. W/ the tape sheet, I can cut out designs and stick on me somewhere and the ribbon can go on my hat as well, but no idea yet. The nice thing is that the DIS color is lime green and Tink is green so at the very least I could hang on to stuff until January if I don’t use it. The puffy paint is to write on the Mickey Ears and the rhinestones for my nails for the Tink ½.

I really want those Mickey ear barrettes that I've seen in the past. If I can find those, I can just snap them onto the sides of my hat! I’m hoping that they might have them in the Disney Store in DTD, that and some cute little Mickey head stud earrings that I can throw on.

Okay, random question for anyone reading this who wants to throw their 2 cents in. I was watching Sleeping Beauty last night, and the green fairy, Fauna, reminded me of Betty White for some reason. Not Betty White now, but like Golden Girls era Betty. I remember thinking this when I was younger too. Does anybody else see this or am I just cazy!! :rotfl:

So that’s about it for updates on my planning so far. I can tell the trip is coming up soon, b/c as fast as time has been flying by, all of a sudden, this weekend it halted to a stop and every hour seems to go by so slow! But I’m almost in to a single digit countdown, so it’s not all bad!! :goodvibes

Will the special shoe laces come untied when you are running?

This morning uploaded Disney music for a playlist for the 5k! I figured I'm going easy on that race and taking it easy, so I might as well have some fun music to go along w/ all the sights. Tried to match up the music based on the course and running pace~ Zip-a-dee-doo-daa near the start, b/c that's by where we enter, more Peter Pan, Snow White when we're through Fantasyland etc. so it should be fun. As I was going through the songs on the CD's, I loaded up "When You Wish Upon a Star", is there any other song that epitomizes DL any better? Maybe it's b/c of all the Super Bowl Commercials, but when I hear that song, I automatically think DL. Sunday's music is just my regular music; not that I don't like Disney Music, just need faster music for 13 miles!

Good news on the accessories front, got a PM from a DISer and said she had an extra pair of Minnie Barrettes that she found at home so she's going to mail them out to me for the race! :woohoo: I'm so excited!! Thanks again Kathy!!

Saturday, headed up to San Fran for a 10k, and got an invite today from Disney about a special San Fran/GGB Vinylmation Mickey release that morning as well!! Now after the race, it's a stop at the Disney Store. They're opening early at 8am and that's when the race starts, so hoping and praying they'll still have I get there. It is so cute; I absolutely love it and must have it!! If I get one, I'll post a pic. Now I'm not a big vinylmation collector (more as a protection device so I don't go crazy buying a ton of them), but there are a few that I fall in love w/ and have to get. Example is the holiday Mardi Gras one! :love: Got that one in WDW this Jan. Luckily only bought 2 and found a tradable one in MK. So while I'm in the store, I might as well look around to see if there's any other accessory-type things to pick up. :goodvibes

Movie watching is going along, last night hit a little snag. I was planning on POC, but when I got home from work TCM was playing Casablanca. And you can't not watch that movie when it's on!! But I still got about an hour in on the movie, so tonight I'll finish it up.

Man, I totally forgot about music for running. It may be a stupid question, but you can listen to your own music while on the course? I feel like such a total newbie to all of this.

I think they prefer you don't wear headphones on course due to safety concerns. They might call out safety hazards on the course or someone might call out to pass you (or vice versa.)

I listen to music while I train but I don't bother wearing them on a race because I like to get the full experience from start to finish. There's nothing better to get you going than bystanders cheering you on. They might have live music on course as well.

Whenever I hear "when you wish upon a star" I think of my wedding. :lovestruc That's the song that was played when I walked down the isle. Might be a little cheesy, but it was PERFECT, being we got married at Disney World. :hug:

Anyway, your plans look great. I'm excited to hear about how the race went. Good luck! :goodvibes

Man, I totally forgot about music for running. It may be a stupid question, but you can listen to your own music while on the course? I feel like such a total newbie to all of this.

I think they prefer you don't wear headphones on course due to safety concerns. They might call out safety hazards on the course or someone might call out to pass you (or vice versa.)

They might have live music on course as well.

Yeah, I think all races now "discourage" headphones. I think they're actually banned at a race in MN and they pull you off the course if they catch you wearing some. You can wear them at the Disney races, a lot of people do. I can tell you that the Disney races are the only ones that I've raced where they do have safety warnings called out. The nice thing is, and only in true Disney fashion, the voice is the same guy from the announcements that they play in the parks. :goodvibes They're telling you to be careful b/c the course is narrowing and in the 1/2 when we go onto the trail b/c of the change in terrain. But my ipod is so low, I can still hear everything.

Whenever I hear "when you wish upon a star" I think of my wedding. :lovestruc That's the song that was played when I walked down the isle. Might be a little cheesy, but it was PERFECT, being we got married at Disney World. :hug:

Anyway, your plans look great. I'm excited to hear about how the race went. Good luck! :goodvibes

I love that! I remember when I was younger, pre-DTD remodel when you still took the tram to the hotel, I was at the DL Hotel for some reason, and saw the beginning of the wedding. The bride was going from her room to the ceremony in the open pumpkin, and I fell in love. It was/looked absolutely perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter