Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

I guess that could happen in the beginning, although I would sort of hope they'd run the show for a month or two without the dining package just to see how things go.

If they have any common sense (HAHAHAHAHA) they'll start this slow. No big fanfare this time, just a few soft openings, maybe starting with a Cast preview or something where it's not a disaster if the floats sink or things don't work. I just doubt that's what they're going to do.

I finally got chance to eat a at Tiffins today (alone! No kids! Woo how!) and it was really great. The atmosphere and the decor was great, and I loved the food. I'd definitely eat there again on the dining package if there was one.

Completely agree.

Why? The theatre will be packed regardless -- why is it a problem if some of those seats are filled with people on dining packages? Seems like leaving money on the table for no reason to me... am I missing something?

I don't think TH needs the package. If ROL starts up, with that and the night activity and if folks are now planning a full day at AK, I think it will stay booked as it's a real plus for families, especially on DDP.

I do think that Tiffins will benefit from the package but once Avatarland opens I think it will be less an issue.

This whole thing has been an embarrassment from ROL to JB. I agree with Kate that slow steady soft openings to not only make sure all is running smooth but to really fine tune FP+ and Dining Packages based on how many times they can run this and what the crowds will be. The parties at MK will direct folks there on party nights and they can compare that to non-party nights. I am hoping that they will progress more slowly this time so they final result is a smooth operation.

Josh started a thread on his message boards tonight sharing his thoughts/insights on the show. Sounds like they've been able to do 2 practice shows a night for a few nights in a row. He still doesn't think the show will officially start any time soon. :confused3

Josh started a thread on his message boards tonight sharing his thoughts/insights on the show. Sounds like they've been able to do 2 practice shows a night for a few nights in a row. He still doesn't think the show will officially start any time soon. :confused3

I can't imagine them shelving this if it's ready to go, unless their attendance is expected to stay low through the holidays, which I also can't imagine.

I can't imagine them shelving this if it's ready to go, unless their attendance is expected to stay low through the holidays, which I also can't imagine.

I read it as him thinking out loud that it doesn't make sense to open what was to be one of your biggest attractions to debut in some time, during a time frame where it will get lost in the shuffle and next year would bring more positive PR ............ but he turned right around and said if you are training it makes no sense to stop and wait.

I think attendance could be high on party nights but low other nights as folks try to get more hours at MK. But if the show is good then who knows. The fact that they are not scheduled for the next two weeks means could mean at least three weeks out, if I remember DD got her schedule one week in advance. I could see them opening this up in November just before all the holiday crowds, maybe right after F&W closes. But then the way things have happened last year with knee jerk decisions I could see it opening next week.

The plus - I saw no mention in his description of the awful barge stages right in front of the seating. Please oh please let them be gone.

Last edited:
I read it as him thinking out loud that it doesn't make sense to open what was to be one of your biggest attractions to debut in some time, during a time frame where it will get lost in the shuffle and next year would bring more positive PR ............ but he turned right around and said if you are training it makes no sense to stop and wait.

I think attendance could be high on party nights but low other nights as folks try to get more hours at MK. But if the show is good then who knows. The fact that they are not scheduled for the next two weeks means could mean at least three weeks out, if I remember DD got her schedule one week in advance. I could see them opening this up in November just before all the holiday crowds, maybe right after F&W closes. But then the way things have happened last year with knee jerk decisions I could see it opening next week.

The plus - I saw no mention in his description of the awful barge stages right in front of the seating. Please oh please let them be gone.

That's how I took it, too...he was thinking out loud -- not stating facts, just opinion based on the knowledge and information he has.

That's how I took it, too...he was thinking out loud -- not stating facts, just opinion based on the knowledge and information he has.

I was just giving my opinion of his opinion. ;)

I was just commenting for those who don't follow Josh and don't understand his "style" of posting. I think sometimes his "thinking out loud" or "rants" may be interpreted as truth since he has a popular website. He's quirky and sometimes pot stirs ...... but fun to follow.

So often we, he, they post rumors and guessing but it actually sounds like fact to some readers.

SO since this is Animal Kingdom based thread, may I just be environmental here a moment, and remind everyone to not buy candies etc that are made with palm oil being harvested from the forest where many of our animal friends live.

Here is a great Trick or Treat Guide...

upload_2016-9-27_13-53-21.png

I was just commenting for those who don't follow Josh and don't understand his "style" of posting. I think sometimes his "thinking out loud" or "rants" may be interpreted as truth since he has a popular website. He's quirky and sometimes pot stirs ...... but fun to follow.

So often we, he, they post rumors and guessing but it actually sounds like fact to some readers.
Josh Wisperer. :rotfl2:

SO since this is Animal Kingdom based thread, may I just be environmental here a moment, and remind everyone to not buy candies etc that are made with palm oil being harvested from the forest where many of our animal friends live.

Here is a great Trick or Treat Guide...

View attachment 197370
I am going to confess right now that there is NO WAY that I will EVER keep up with all of the very many things that I should not buy these days. :goodvibes

I am going to confess right now that there is NO WAY that I will EVER keep up with all of the very many things that I should not buy these days. :goodvibes

Understand and palm oil in many other products is really hard to keep track of but candy is easy, almost too easy so that I will make the effort to buy "approved" candy.

Understand and palm oil in many other products is really hard to keep track of but candy is easy, almost too easy so that I will make the effort to buy "approved" candy.
I hear what you're saying about this one thing. But there are SO MANY of these "one things"! For me, and I suspect for many, there are just far too many tables like these that we're supposed to keep in mind at all times and during all our shopping. Otherwise we don't care about animals or the environment, I suppose? Hats off to anyone who can keep track of it all, I guess! :upsidedow

I mostly buy Hershey's, so I guess on this one I happen to be a good person! :rolleyes1

I hear what you're saying about this one thing. But there are SO MANY of these "one things"! For me, and I suspect for many, there are just far too many tables like these that we're supposed to keep in mind at all times and during all our shopping. Otherwise we don't care about animals or the environment, I suppose? Hats off to anyone who can keep track of it all, I guess! :upsidedow

I mostly buy Hershey's, so I guess on this one I happen to be a good person! :rolleyes1

I believe, and you can disagree, that we get trap in the all-or-nothing mentality. If everyone changes one habit here and there, it's not optimal, but IT IS better then nothing.

I believe, and you can disagree, that we get trap in the all-or-nothing mentality. If everyone changes one habit here and there, it's not optimal, but IT IS better then nothing.
The "one habit" being candy purchases? I suppose so. Pretty narrow, but I don't disagree with that.

It's still the case that I can't keep up with all of it. We might hear tomorrow that it turns out that Hershey's shouldn't be purchased for an entirely different reason -- like because of low wages it pays in other countries, or some other reason.

We do things like recycle, use only reusable grocery bags, etc., etc. because it's good to do AND it's FEASIBLE. I think this is what makes an impact on a large scale -- making these changes in consumer behavior PRACTICAL for people.

In any case... just my 2 cents. :)

If it is ready to go, and 5 months behind, why would they wait longer? I think us fans deserve better than that. Time to open this up already. Give it some real and live runs before Thanksgiving, so it goes off without a hitch during the busy week. Touring Plans is claiming sometime around October 31st with their best guess. I would hope Mid-October.

The "one habit" being candy purchases? I suppose so. Pretty narrow, but I don't disagree with that.

It's still the case that I can't keep up with all of it. We might hear tomorrow that it turns out that Hershey's shouldn't be purchased for an entirely different reason -- like because of low wages it pays in other countries, or some other reason.

We do things like recycle, use only reusable grocery bags, etc., etc. because it's good to do AND it's FEASIBLE. I think this is what makes an impact on a large scale -- making these changes in consumer behavior PRACTICAL for people.

In any case... just my 2 cents. :)
I went on a tour of Hershey a couple of years ago. I didn't realize that 100% of their profits goes to a foundation to educate underpriv lodged kids. I will always support Hershey.

I went on a tour of Hershey a couple of years ago. I didn't realize that 100% of their profits goes to a foundation to educate underpriv lodged kids. I will always support Hershey.
That's great about Hershey -- glad I buy from them!

My general point stands, though -- that there are so many potential reasons why supporting Company X may be deemed distasteful by some group. Where/how they source, where/how they manufacture, who they employ and where, wages they pay, every ingredient/input they use, etc, etc.

I think that all of that is stuff that MOST consumers can't keep up with -- not feasible -- that's all. Was just sharing that general point of view. :)

And I guess a pet peeve of mine is that some of the groups/people that push this stuff imply that unless one checks all of these things about everything they buy, they just don't care about X (environment, animals, exploitation, etc.). It's like a whole new area for peer pressure and shaming! LOL! Not that anyone HERE was doing that... again, just sharing this general opinion on this thread-about-everything! :)

That's not quite correct.

The Hershey Company is a publicly traded company. You can buy stock in it, and then your share of the profits would go to you.

The largest single shareholder of The Hershey Company is the Hershey Trust Company. It is the trust company that administers the Milton Hershey School and other charitable activities. The actual organization and duties of the Trust Company appear complicated. It's a very unusual arrangement, and Milton Hershey deserves praise for ensuring that a significant portion of Hershey's profits would continue to fund the school and other activities, but it's not 100% (and not even close, if I'm reading the list of major owners on Yahoo's web site correctly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter