• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor - AK Lodge to become DVC announcement Thurs?

dcibrando

DIS Veteran
There's a rumor on another disney msg board saying to look for some news reguarding new DVC at the Animal Kingdom Lodge during Thursday's press event.

New building with 3rd full service restaurant and also some conversions of 5th floor rooms.

Anyone else heard this.. or is it just something that...well... makes you go :rotfl2:

I heard there was going to be an annoucement this week but the person at DVC told me he didn't know what it was about...I hope AKL turns out to be true!!!!

I was hoping for the Polynesian, but if this rumor does turn out to be true my son will be thrilled. Anyone have an idea as to how long after a resort announcement is made that actual sales begin? It might be time to ramp up the savings for the next add-on! :teeth:

I saw the same post you saw and was hoping to find out more info here, I guess will have to wait and see!!! :smooth:

I cannot believe that they'd do AKL... though it is the only DVC I'd consider a futher add-on at.

Hmmm, while it already seems unlikely, the detail of a third full-service restaurant tips the credulity scales for me. They didn't feel the need to add restaurants to WL and BC when the villas were added on. With SSR they tried to cheap out and not do a restaurant at all. The dining options are already pretty well-rounded at AKL, with a good food court, excellent family buffet and great signature dining. I do wish Boma offered lunch service, maybe off-the-menu rather buffet, as there is no sit-down lunch option at AKL. But I really am not sure AKL could sustain a third restaurant, even if they did add another building.

Having said that and expressed my complete disbelief... I loves me some good crazy rumors and I'd love AKL Villas!

Do we have any links for sources or is that not kosher?

Oh, hi again. I don't think they took the "low cost road" overall with SSR, but I do think they thought that since there was so much dining available at DD, there wouldn't be the demand for an onsite restaurant and they could spare themselves at the cost. Of course, guests and members felt differently and they responded to the demand and added one.

When is the press event supposed to take place?

The press event is happening today and tomorrow. The announcement will be by AL Weiss tomorrow at 12:30. This info from Allears.

Apparently the rumor was posted on WDW Magic and is being referenced on forums at Mice Age as well as here.

I am not sure I belive this rumor, though I wish it were true. We will find out soon enough though.

The 3rd restaurant does make alot of sense though. Both Jiko and Boma are usually at capacity and there are no other close by dining options (as present at SSR). The addition of a new building would require more food service.

That would be cool!!! That would be the only other resort that I would buy more points at (unless the poly :thumbsup2 ). O'well I'm sure it's just a rumor :guilty: .

Huh, interesting.

Anyone have a link to the press release about the restaurant addition?

I heard it was either Villas at The Animal Kingdom or Contemporary Villas. I would buy in a heartbeat to either. Not that I don't like SSR, but I would really enjoy those 2.

This would be a great addition to DVC and would provide yet another option of top shelf quality.

Horace Horsecollar said:
Here's the article about the Walt Disney Company's presentation to the Central Florida community leaders today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060406/1269795.html

According to the article, "There were no announcements regarding any changes, growth or expansion for the Central Florida resort, which employs 57,000 people."

If (and thats a big if) there is to be an announcement regarding DVC at the AKL, it will probably be tomorrow at 12:30. It is at this time, I believe, that they are expected to announce the replacement for the Tarzan show (Finding Nemo theme).

The source of the rumor can be found on the rumors forum at WDW Magic, for anyone wants to see what started it all.

Don't anyone get your undies in a wad with excitement. The AKL rumor was started on the other board by an AKL CM. Which is, of course, always a sterling source of info. :rolleyes:

DisFlan

I don't want to squash anyone's dreams but we were told that there can be no further building near AKL because of the animal preserves there. We took a tour last spring and asked at that time if there would be future expansion of AKL. Were told that it's not possible d/t the animals around----the land is needed for their habitat and any further building would be too stressful on them. Now true, there is probably room to relocate the animals either permanently or temporarily but I don't see that happening. I think if there is any announcement of a new DVC location, it will have something to do with the Contemporary. Not even sure if an announcement is likely right now as SSR still has lots of space to sell. Sales there appear to have fallen off in recent months. So guess all we can do is wait and see if an announcement is made either tomorrow or in upcoming days/months

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter