• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Royal High Tea on the Fantasy!

*Sigh
So they get rid of the adult High Tea, and then bring this in with no option for adults with no kids. Just one more way DCL is making me feel like I'm not really welcome as part of a family that only consists of 2 adults. I really miss the days when they really did try to make everyone feel like they belonged there.

I can relate.:confused3 I know my entire group of adults would willingly pay for the adult tea experience like Palo used to have, but they give all these reasons why it is not feasible. It was sold out and it doesn't take any more room than they use to hold this one for the children. I think Disney is missing the boat (pun intended) on this-who do they think pays for the DCL vacations?!?!?

This sounds like a completely different experience from the Palo tea, which was all about the food rather than the guest list.

Our Palo server on the Magic last month told us that the reason tea was discontinued was that although the slots were filled in advance, there were a lot of cancellations and no-shows. Apparently people decided they didn't want to leave their sea day activities in mid-afternoon, change clothes, and actually go to the tea. That is plausible, because we did see a lot of empty tables the last time we did tea at Palo. I can believe that people are more willing to do brunch and then spend the rest of the day lounging.

Do you feel that the bracelet and necklace are good quality? And being that you can't get them on the ship can we add charms to it? Did they tell you where or how to get more?

I was told they are sold in the parks (and Downtown Disney). We did not have time to stop, as we had an early afternoon flight. I am going to try to order online.

ETA: For my daughter, I thought it was a great quality. It didn't feel cheap at all. I guess I will find out for sure when I investigate getting more charms.

Thanks for the information! We are sailing concierge in October and hope it will still be available. Could you comment on which day you had this experience? Thanks.

We were on an eastern caribbean cruise. It was on Tuesday (St. Thomas) at 3 pm.

This sounds like a completely different experience from the Palo tea, which was all about the food rather than the guest list.

Our Palo server on the Magic last month told us that the reason tea was discontinued was that although the slots were filled in advance, there were a lot of cancellations and no-shows. Apparently people decided they didn't want to leave their sea day activities in mid-afternoon, change clothes, and actually go to the tea. That is plausible, because we did see a lot of empty tables the last time we did tea at Palo. I can believe that people are more willing to do brunch and then spend the rest of the day lounging.

I think part of the problem was the time they scheduled it too late in the afternoon (4pm if I remember correctly) and for individuals with main seating, it was right on top of dinner. I just think tea on an elegant ship is a wonderful and relaxing thing. Our Palo server on the Fantasy tried so hard to make a "tea" for us, bless his heart! We had all the desserts with bottomless cups of tea, but I still missed my savory, sandwiches and scones. :sad2:

I could absolutely see this happening. Signed up for wine tasting on a recent local vacation and opted to stay poolside instead. Called to cancel, but they had not filled up anyway. Many people probably sign up for things just so they have the option of doing an activity, especially if it free. It is probably why many of the newer activities have costs.

I do not wish to come off as pompous, but isn't this experience afternoon tea not high tea. There is a world of difference. I don't know why it bothers me that the term high tea is being used for this type of meal, but here (in England), high tea is completely different and is more of an early dinner with a meat dish such as stew or shepherds pie. The sandwiches, cake, scone meal is afternoon tea. Is it different in the USA?

I do not wish to come off as pompous, but isn't this experience afternoon tea not high tea. There is a world of difference. I don't know why it bothers me that the term high tea is being used for this type of meal, but here (in England), high tea is completely different and is more of an early dinner with a meat dish such as stew or shepherds pie. The sandwiches, cake, scone meal is afternoon tea. Is it different in the USA?

Lol! You are not pompous at all, we Americans just have no clue what we are talking about in regards to tea! We think of "High Tea" being classy or uppity, and have no clue that it really refers to "a meal served at tea time on the high tables in pubs." I will admit, I also once thought of afternoon tea, with scones, tiny finger sandwiches, tea in dainty tea cups, and ladies in pretty dresses, as "High Tea" then I did research and realized I was wrong! Now it irks me when people refer to afternoon tea as high tea.

Lol! You are not pompous at all, we Americans just have no clue what we are talking about in regards to tea! We think of "High Tea" being classy or uppity, and have no clue that it really refers to "a meal served at tea time on the high tables in pubs." I will admit, I also once thought of afternoon tea, with scones, tiny finger sandwiches, tea in dainty tea cups, and ladies in pretty dresses, as "High Tea" then I did research and realized I was wrong! Now it irks me when people refer to afternoon tea as high tea.

Some people still refer to their evening meal as tea rather than dinner. My children are often invited to friends for tea. Like others I would call this kind of thing afternoon tea. My favourite is a Devonshire tea which is warm scones with jam and cream, served with a pot of tea.

I think I would take my daughter to the DCL tea as I really enjoy character meals.

Wow, this is vey educational. Thanks! Perhaps in this sense the "high" refers only to the price. Only kidding :)) We absolutely plan to go if offered, but it is amusing that the title does not fit the activity. I will now have to read more on this topic :)

I don't think you came off as pompous :groom:. I make "tea" every month for my family for dinner. We have a savory dish (like quiche, shepherd's pie, stew or some other meat dish) but I also serve sandwiches, cream scones and pastries. I don't appreciate locations calling salad and sandwiches "high tea" or scones and tea only "afternoon tea." In my family, we want a meal-that's "high tea" to us. We do not go away hungry from the "tea" I make like we sometimes do from the itty bitty sandwiches served in other places. :lmao:

If I wasn't the type who would, I wouldn't see the point to sailing DCL without kids in the first place. A large part of the reason I show up is because of the character experience. Add to that that it's something to do that doesn't include nasty swimming pools or getting drunk and I have no problem paying that fee.

This isn't a regular tea. It is a character event for kids (especially girls). They used to have high tea on the ships..but they stopped it, so obviously it wasn't worth it for them.

As an adult alone I wouldn't pay 69 for a character event with just tea. :confused3 I can't see many who would, otherwise they would do something like that.

*Sigh
So they get rid of the adult High Tea, and then bring this in with no option for adults with no kids. Just one more way DCL is making me feel like I'm not really welcome as part of a family that only consists of 2 adults. I really miss the days when they really did try to make everyone feel like they belonged there.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Anyone know if they are still doing this? Or did they stop after July 15th?

They will be rolling it out as a regular feature, but it is not currently being offered. We are going in October and are on a list to be called if they start it up before then. No word yet.

We were on the Fantasy the week of July 15. This was offered for the full $270 price. There were about 10 tables and about 2 girls per table. It was cute and my daughter loved it. She is 6. Food wasn't great but when is it ever when you are buying an experience. All the pics they took were added to our photo cd and they delivered a black 8x10 photo folder with the pic of her with all princesses and then two stock photos the evening after the tea. The boys got the grey sword and shield that they give at the BBB. Instead of charms they got pins. I wasn't close enough to the two boys to see what they got instead of a doll and jewelery box.

Does anyone know if the Royal High Tea is going to be offered on the Dream as well as the Fantasy? My 2 DD's would love this it sounds great...TIA:flower3:

Does anyone know if the Royal High Tea is going to be offered on the Dream as well as the Fantasy? My 2 DD's would love this it sounds great...TIA:flower3:

I just spoke to shoreside concierge and as of now they say it is a Fantasy exclusive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter