Royal Caribbean. -child falls from balcony

The only thing that I have ever seen on a DCL ship that was unsafe was when we were on Deck 4 on the Magic. Someone was walking by and touching the railing as they went along. There are points where the railing is actually gated, where you would board the lifeboats through if needed. I had never noticed it before, but as they walked past one of those openings the railing swung out. A CM was nearby and noticed this. They quickly latched it. We were in port at the time. I make sure that we don't stop at those points when walking on Deck 4 now and I still keep an eye on the kids even though they are older. I have pointed this out to them so they are aware of it also.

lbgraves said:
The only thing that I have ever seen on a DCL ship that was unsafe was when we were on Deck 4 on the Magic. Someone was walking by and touching the railing as they went along. There are points where the railing is actually gated, where you would board the lifeboats through if needed. I had never noticed it before, but as they walked past one of those openings the railing swung out. A CM was nearby and noticed this. They quickly latched it. We were in port at the time. I make sure that we don't stop at those points when walking on Deck 4 now and I still keep an eye on the kids even though they are older. I have pointed this out to them so they are aware of it also.

Omg scary! Note to self about walking deck 4 when at sea especially.

lbgraves said:

Can anyone open that latch or is it padlocked? I know I'm paranoid but that is the first thing that's freaked me out about Disney. We hung out on deck 4 quite a bit.

The latch was on the outside of the railing from what I saw. I haven't looked at them closely to know what kind of latch it is. Sorry.

Can anyone open that latch or is it padlocked? I know I'm paranoid but that is the first thing that's freaked me out about Disney. We hung out on deck 4 quite a bit.

Since the gate are to enable the loading of the lifeboats, by law they cannot padlock or lock the gate in any way. That is why its on the outsdie ot the gate to try and keep people from opening the gate .

Sounds to me like someone was playing with the latch and left it not properly secured/closed.

AKK

DCL has MANY built in safeguards--the door to the balcony is very heavy (as in difficult for some adults). There is a lock at adult shoulder height as well as the handle mechanism. On the balcony itself, there is plexiglass on the inside of the metal bars so that a child can't get a foothold. The railing is about 4 1/2 feet high. Yes, I suppose a kid could move the furniture over to the balcony railing and get over it by climbing onto the furniture, but it hasn't happened....in 15 years and lots of kids.

In public areas of the ship, there is plexiglass similarly, in many areas running literally floor to ceiling.

YES! I know! We cruised back in June w/o kids on the Dream and I remember thinking "this is way safer than I imagined". It's just Mommy anxiety.

We took a beach vacation when DS was 2 1/2 and I laid awake at nights worried that he was going to be washed out to sea. In reality, he didn't want to go beyond ankle deep water and since either me or DH was always at his side (or carrying him), he was totally safe.

I think being a parent has taught me the true meaning of heart-stopping, gut-wrenching fear. :scared1:

If there is any flaw in a design a kid will find it. I am always amazed at the tight places kids get themselves into.

879072-toddler-in-machine.jpg

Just got off the Monarch. About an 1 1/2 after we left Port Canaveral we were told there was a medical emergency and the ship would be returning to Port. We weren't old anything else at that time. The Captain explained over the speaker that RCL's top concern is for guest safety and he would've turned back for any of us, if needed.

The next day, by the pool the cruise director told us that a 1 year old baby fell through the rails from one deck to the floor below, he was pointing up to deck 12 in the pool area while explaining. He said the dad had turned away for a second and it happened, he said it could've happened to anyone. He then told us the baby was flown to Arnold Palmer, but that he suffered NO serious injury and it was a true miracle. We were standing at the deck 12 railing over looking the pool at the time and looked down and wow, that is a far drop! It WAS a miracle! Everyone cheered and clapped.

The Captain made up time that night and we arrived in Nassau only about an hour or so late.

BTW we loved the Monarch and had a great time!

Thanks for posting this. How scary!

Just got off the Monarch. About an 1 1/2 after we left Port Canaveral we were told there was a medical emergency and the ship would be returning to Port. We weren't old anything else at that time. The Captain explained over the speaker that RCL's top concern is for guest safety and he would've turned back for any of us, if needed.

The next day, by the pool the cruise director told us that a 1 year old baby fell through the rails from one deck to the floor below, he was pointing up to deck 12 in the pool area while explaining. He said the dad had turned away for a second and it happened, he said it could've happened to anyone. He then told us the baby was flown to Arnold Palmer, but that he suffered NO serious injury and it was a true miracle. We were standing at the deck 12 railing over looking the pool at the time and looked down and wow, that is a far drop! It WAS a miracle! Everyone cheered and clapped.

The Captain made up time that night and we arrived in Nassau only about an hour or so late.

BTW we loved the Monarch and had a great time!
Thanks for letting us know what happened. Knowing how the Monarch is set up, that was my suspicion of what happened. I'm SO glad to hear that the baby is OK. How very, very scary!

Sayhello

That's really good news. I'm so glad to hear the baby didn't suffer any serious injury. Thanks for sharing. :)

:faint:
OMG, it makes me dizzy just reading this. I noticed the gates before and dh leans on them when looking out at sea. He thinks I'm crazy that I suggest we walk down a bit & lean against an area that is solid railing.

ruadisneyfan2 said:
OMG, it makes me dizzy just reading this. I noticed the gates before and dh leans on them when looking out at sea. He thinks I'm crazy that I suggest we walk down a bit & lean against an area that is solid railing.

I know, right? Scary.

You mean your DH intentionally leans on the gates rather than the other rails?

Seriously thou, look at the reports of how many people have UNintentionally fallen overboard on cruise ships vs. how many have INtentionally fallen overboard.

You are really stressing about nothing,

That is great news for that child. Thank goodness.
I know my first cruise my children were 4 and 18mo. My DS was 18mo at the time and all over the place and very busy I was very worried about him on the boat. I never leave him and I try to always have a hand on him. I wasn't so much worried about being out of the room with him as i was when we were in the room. I wouldn't go pee without him at the door to the bathroom. I was afraid he would get out to the verandah and climb overboard. (Yes i kept it locked all the time) At night I not only would lock it I would move the coffee table over in front. Since the bed is closest to the door and the pullout is near the verandah door it made me a nervous and sleepless reck.

I know things can happen even to the most cautious of parents. I try not to judge. Just glad that child had an angel looking out for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter