Royal Caribbean. -child falls from balcony

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Weedy, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

Just saw this on the local news. You can read the story at
    Wftv.com
    Fell to the next balcony airlifted to hospital.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

How sad. Unfortunately, the report probably suggests more questions than it answers.

4. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

Here's the link to the story: wftv

Very sad about the injured 1-year old. A reminder that parenting does not stop upon boarding a cruise ship.

Woody

5. PirateLife4Me:)

PirateLife4Me:) Mouseketeer

Very lucky there was a balcony directly under their room

6. luv2sleep

luv2sleep DIS Veteran

Just read the article. The baby crawled through the railing on deck 11 and fell. I checked another board's RCCL page and nothing is mentioned. DCL has the plexiglass covering the railing. Do the other ships not have something similar to prevent something like this?

7. SweetMissy

SweetMissy DIS Veteran

I don't think other cruise lines have the plexiglass. I've never heard of it until researching disney cruises which gave hubby and I peace of mind considering we have 3 kids and you just never know. So glad....this story could've been much worse.

8. shburks

shburks DIS Veteran

NCL did on the ship we cruised. Find it hard to believe others don't have plexiglass...

9. luv2sleep

luv2sleep DIS Veteran

I find it interesting that there's not much news on this.

10. shburks

shburks DIS Veteran

Me too. Love (said sarcastically) this particular part:

Sources tell Local 6 the ship actually had to turn around, so the child could be flown to Arnold Palmer Hospital. The boy was taken on a stretcher, treated and loaded onto a helicopter.

ACTUALLY had to turn around. You know, like the child has just decided he didn't want to cruise or something!

I really hope there's more information coming as I just cannot see how a child can fall between decks.

11. shburks

shburks DIS Veteran

Deck 11 doesn't appear to have any cabins. Did the child fall from the pool deck to a balcony below?

12. maria-fan-22

maria-fan-22 DIS Veteran

This event sadly brings up one of my favorite warning labels on the back of stuffÂ…

"Child proof lighters are no substitute for proper parenting."

No matter how "secure" something may be, 1 year olds seem at a proper age to never be out of sight.

13. DVCJones

DVCJones DIS Veteran

They probably had to turn around because the child might not of had a passport. Maybe just a birth certificate or passport card. If you don't have an actual Passport they won't air lift you from a ship or anywhere other than the U.S.

14. Raspberry Beret

Raspberry Beret Mouseketeer

And it has the tall glass wind deflector panels around the deck like Disney. From googling pictures, I can't see any place to crawl through. Maybe the report got the deck wrong?

I'll reserve judgement on the parents until more information comes out. ;)

15. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

My thought was that the first line of defense always has to be the parents. What was a 1 year old doing on the balcony with inadequate supervision? I have no idea what the built in safety measures are like on this ship--very heavy door to balcony with high lock? Was the balcony door left open intentionally and the child wandered out? Was the family out there and just not paying adequate attention to the child? What is there to prevent such a climb and fall accident? Plexiglass or other barrier? If so, how was the child able to overcome the barrier?

16. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

I think Monarch is one of their older ships but the 2 RC ships we were on, deck 11 was the pool deck. So sad but I'm curious what the parents were doing just before the fall, obviously not watching their baby.
    I wonder if the news got the story wrong and the dad had the baby on his shoulders. Dh did that with ds3, now almost 16, while on the ferry going to MK. I was freaking out that if the ship should stop quickly for some reason, there's no way he could hold him securely, and near the railing it would be a fatal fall.

17. wallawallakids

wallawallakids DIS Veteran

So sad. Hope he is ok.

18. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

Deck 11 on Monarch of the Seas is the pool deck: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/finda...ile=1424&sailDate=1121224&hasNavigation=false. As I recall, there is plexiglass all around the ship, but there are small gaps between the panels.

ETA - the only cabin balconies on Monarch are in the suites on deck 10. All other cabins are either inside or have a window. From the photo of the ship, you can see the glass around the top deck: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipCode=MN

19. Tiger926

Tiger926 DIS Veteran

Sad and confusing story.

Not sure how a baby would be in that particular situation unless not properly supervised.

After spending millions of hours in Disney Parks and just having sailed on the Fantasy in August, we see lots of unsupervised children, including babies and toddlers.

Hope they are able to figure out what happened, and if it was deemed negligence on the part of the cruise ship, they can add additional safety precautions, if it was negligence on the part of the parents, then that may be another story altogether...

Tiger

20. goeva

goeva DIS Veteran

Fortunately the child fell from the 11th floor to the 10th floor balcony and not to the ocean below.
    What a tragedy. I hope the child and the family are doing well.

21. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

As NancyIL posted, Deck 11 on the Monarch of the Seas is the pool/sports deck. So, assuming all the reports saying the child fell from deck 11 to a balcony on deck 10 are correct, they were not in their cabin, and the child did not fall from their verandah.

If they *had* been on their verandah, the child would have fallen onto the lifeboats below. There's only one deck with verandahs.

I've sailed on the Majesty of the Seas, which is the sister ship of Monarch of the Seas. I can't imagine how the child got under the plexiglass all around the deck, but since I haven't been actually on Monarch, maybe there is something different there. (The picture below is the Sports deck on Deck 11).

[​IMG]

I would have found it way more understandable if the child had been on Deck 12, and fallen to deck 11, as there are balconies overlooking the pool area that a child could easily fall through. I always thought that was a bad design.

[​IMG]

I read that Mom had the older child, and Dad was left with the baby. I hate to condemn anyone as negligent until I know what actually happened. 30 seconds of distraction could have been 30 seconds too many. (Although I never would have taken the baby on Deck 12 if that's what happened.)

Sayhello