Room Ready System!!!!!!

DebbieB said:
The problem is no one knows what exactly that is. Sometimes "room ready" is used, sometimes "pre-assigned" is used. If they would just come up with one system and be consistent about it, members would know what to expect.

I acknowledge that there is ambiguity in the system and I guess it just doesn't bother me. :confused3

I know we have been lucky enough to get in our villa early sometimes which I really appreciate. I would hate for the system to be so rigid that it couldn't happen.

We have also had our requests met at least in part on almost all of our stays. I understand Daitcher's frustration with guests demanding their requests be met. Buy your own vacation home if you're that picky. But it is nice that the resorts try. To me it makes sense because what one member hates, another might love. I know we request a floor different than most at BCV.

We have always received an accessible room when we need it. We have always had a nonsmoking unit since we've been owners with the possible exception of an accessible 2BR on the 4th floor of BCV. It didn't have the symbol but also didn't smell of smoke at all. I'm an asthmatic who is allergic to smoke so this matters a lot to me. These two things are the most important to me. The rest is icing.

So to me, it seems reasonable that there is flexibility for the resort and we as owners need to be able to accept that we don't know every single thing about how the rooms are assigned. Just my opinion of course.

I also think it is a little more complex for DVC than a typical timeshare as we're coming and going through the week and probably some guests even add on nights while there. So I think DVC resorts probably have to operate more like hotels than weeklong timeshares do.

Daitcher said:
That is exactly right and really the whole basis of my program. Even the biggest whiners would stop if the whining got them no where. No grease for that squeaky wheel! Consitency is really all we can hope for. DVC isn't going to adopt my policy that is for sure ( they should but they won't). So much of these problems stem from the bending of the rules or not adhering to them in the first place.

DAVE

"Your Policy" is exactly what DVC rolled out 3 years ago. The fact that they haven't stuck with it 100% indicates there were problems in actual use. My biggest gripe is someone who arrives later in the day is stuck with leftovers. If for some reason you have to take a late flight, why should you get stuck with a smoking room in a bad location? Then you may have a smoker who takes a non-smoking room just because it is ready earlier. You shouldn't have to stay somewhere else the first night just to get a decent room. I think DVC leaves it up to the front desk to manage this the way it works best for them.

cdy16zz said:
Thanks for your reply. Please help me understand this better.
When we call 11 months out and make one request only (smoking room) and they tell me it IS available why is it that when we get there we always get a NS room??? I realize that 90% of the rooms are NS. That is why we only make ONE request. If it is NOT available I would request a different week. I will not smoke IN a NS room, but we will smoke on the patio. It is very frustrating to us. We try to be considerate yet the members that don't smoke are very vocal. And NO, I do NOT want a HA room. EVER!! They are for people who need them. If Disney has left over HA rooms in their inventory then they should have to ask if you are willing to take one or take it as a loss themsleves. Not telling you that because you arrived last that's what is left. This thing of giving the rooms to whomever arrives first, at the crack of dawn promotes the too early arrivals and the long ugly lines! The CM deserve better than this! They didn't make the room ressie, yet we too have heard members forget their manners. In this time of computer wonders I can hardly believe that a week by week hold on rooms is not a possiblity.
Sorry if this seems so long. Just can't understand how it is that you can't reserve a room and it be what you committed to. Thanks!

I used this analogy a few years ago:

Lets say you own a small B&B. You have four rooms, the Red Room, the Yellow Room, The Pink Room and The Blue Room. Each room has its own rates and its own amenties (the Blue room has a wonderful double jacuzzi, while the Yellow room has a huge window with a view of the ocean).

Couple one calls and wants the Red Room for March 1 - 4 Couple 2 checks into the Blue Room for March 1-7, Couple three books the Yellow Room for the 6-7, Couple 4 books the Pink room for the 3rd - 6th. Couple 5 books, They want to come on the 4th and say through the 7th without moving rooms. Although you have an empty room each of those nights, you don't have the same empty room all of those nights.

For DVC - scale up. And each color becomes a specific room (size, smoking preference, HA, view, location, even down to room number).

Room allocation systems like this depend on low occupancy levels. You figure that you aren't going to have every room full every night. For high request periods, there may be room night minimums (you must stay Friday and Saturday night on the weekend) to keep occupancy high enough to not lose money.

DVC doesn't have the luxury of low occupancy levels - it was designed to be 97% full all the time - and if the 5% (or whatever) of handicapped rooms aren't filled by people who need them, they can't sit empty or there will not be enough rooms for Disney to meet its contractual obligations to members. So they can't set aside your room when you book, they absolutely need the flexibility to put you in many possible rooms. And they are designed for maximum flexibility - a lot of timeshares you purchase a specific time in a specific unit - with DVC you can get any time, and change unit size, but you may not get exactly what you want in terms of view/smoking preference, or not having to mop up after a shower.

Cruises can do this because everyone comes and leaves on the same day.

DrTomorrow said:
Finally - and no true offense is meant to my dear DIS family here - I bet that this "Problem" is only a "Problem" for a small set of DIS DVC control freaks, NOT for the general DVC ownership population. Look at the main responses in this thread. The Masterminds: "Ooooh, I get to see each and every available room, weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each, factor in my extensive DVC knowledge and select THE room." Um, OK..... :confused3

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Who US? Control freaks????

I'm with Dean and DebbieB. It would be much better if they decided on a room assignment policy, stated it to the DVC community, and then followed it! It seems they are not following either room ready or pre-assigned but a mix of both. Even if you are pre-assigned a room they may switch it if someone is unhappy. I would be happy with either if done correctly. As it is presently I always feel (my imagination talking) like I'm being lied to about room assignment/availability or that I should have wined more or demanded to talk to a manager. I do not like to feel either of those attributes. And I believe room ready does give the least desirable rooms to those that come late. We have arrived late and may in the future and I would not mind room ready if it is a clear policy but would prefer a pre assigned system.

Thank You Crisi for the analogy, you have answerd my question! :)
Sorry I didn't see it that way. I just remember that when we first joined we never had this problem. Anyway no matter where we stay, our memories with our children and grandchildren are pricless! princess: :thanks:
Bless all those CMs at the Check-in counter!!! They are always sooooooo nice!!! OKW's are the BEST!!! :goodvibes :goodvibes

crisi said:
I used this analogy a few years ago:

Lets say you own a small B&B. You have four rooms, the Red Room, the Yellow Room, The Pink Room and The Blue Room. Each room has its own rates and its own amenties (the Blue room has a wonderful double jacuzzi, while the Yellow room has a huge window with a view of the ocean).

Couple one calls and wants the Red Room for March 1 - 4 Couple 2 checks into the Blue Room for March 1-7, Couple three books the Yellow Room for the 6-7, Couple 4 books the Pink room for the 3rd - 6th. Couple 5 books, They want to come on the 4th and say through the 7th without moving rooms. Although you have an empty room each of those nights, you don't have the same empty room all of those nights.

For DVC - scale up. And each color becomes a specific room (size, smoking preference, HA, view, location, even down to room number).

Room allocation systems like this depend on low occupancy levels. You figure that you aren't going to have every room full every night. For high request periods, there may be room night minimums (you must stay Friday and Saturday night on the weekend) to keep occupancy high enough to not lose money.

DVC doesn't have the luxury of low occupancy levels - it was designed to be 97% full all the time - and if the 5% (or whatever) of handicapped rooms aren't filled by people who need them, they can't sit empty or there will not be enough rooms for Disney to meet its contractual obligations to members. So they can't set aside your room when you book, they absolutely need the flexibility to put you in many possible rooms. And they are designed for maximum flexibility - a lot of timeshares you purchase a specific time in a specific unit - with DVC you can get any time, and change unit size, but you may not get exactly what you want in terms of view/smoking preference, or not having to mop up after a shower.

Cruises can do this because everyone comes and leaves on the same day.

Daitcher said:
Once again someone doesn't understand how room ready works. You state "someone can show up at 9 a.m. and get the room I was assigned because of "room ready". There are no rooms assigned with room ready. At 9:00 a.m the only rooms available to the guest would be what is cleaned and ready. They could not ask for or get the best room in the house just because they were there early. Now in your defense the problem lies with the fact that Disney doesn't stick to the policy. If they did you might get the best room in the house at 3:00 because it just was cleaned and into the system. Now they crumble to the complainers and gripers. Sorry you sold your DVC because of this. It seems IMO you'd be hard presed to be satisfied at any timeshare property. Requests are always going to be just that a request. It doesn't matter if you book 2 years in advance. People have to stop with this "i booked 11 months out thing. Nobody cares! Lets say there are 20 rooms that meet your top floor Epcot view request, now lets say 40 BCV owners booking 11 months out request that same common request, how can they possibly make you all happy? 20 of you go away unhappy. Room ready if followed properly is really the only way to go. It is also cost effective because room assigners would be out. Sorry but I can't get on board with much of what you've said here. I suspect many more dissapointing stays are headed your way.

DAVE

You are mistaken about the reservation process, the rooms ARE assigned when the reservation gets to the desk about a week before check-in. At that point my requests noted and a room is assigned that meets my requests to the best of their ability. I NEVER had a problem before the room ready policy, nor did I have a problem with requests at any other Disney property before I owned DVC. I purchased at BCV because that's where I wanted to stay and I wanted the 11 month reservation window there. I STILL think the earlier reservations should have request priority, especially at BCV since it's the smallest DVC, but I guess thats just too fair a system for those of us who plan ahead.

The problem with room ready begins on check-in day. Joe Schmo and family get to BCV at 9am and the room he was assigned, he requested lower floor close to elevator, is not available yet. The room I was assigned IS ready, but I haven't checked in yet because I'm still in another state. I'm not going to check-in until 3pm because I may have to wait until 4pm anyway per the contract I signed. Joe has 2 cranky kids and doesn't want to wait (even though he signed the same contract as I did), so he complains. The desk offers him the room that is ready now, MINE, so when I get there at 3pm I end up in the room he was suppose to get (or some other complainers) which is the complete opposite of what I requested.

Those complainers are the ones who forced DVC to make the room ready policy in the first place. Just because they can't wait for their room per a contract they signed, I now can't get any of my requests met because I do follow the rules and don't expect to be in my room before 4pm.

I don't have a problem with people getting into a room asap, I have a problem with the desk giving away the room I was assigned because some complainer didn't want to wait (per the 4pm check-in policy) for the room he was assigned. If room ready were a request you would still be assigned a room a week before check-in, but the desk could take any other room ready reservation and swap it with the person checking-in.

When I purchased DVC I signed a contract that said I could make requests and that check-in was 4pm, the room ready policy negates both of those and that's why I sold. I'll go back to making my reservations and requests through CRO and paying more, but I'll know my requests will be more important and Disney will want to keep me, a paying customer, happy. Like I said, I never had a problem having my requests met in the past.
I suspect many LESS disappointing stays during my future Disney Vacations.

lisareniff said:
I'm with Dean and DebbieB. It would be much better if they decided on a room assignment policy, stated it to the DVC community, and then followed it! It seems they are not following either room ready or pre-assigned but a mix of both. Even if you are pre-assigned a room they may switch it if someone is unhappy. I would be happy with either if done correctly. As it is presently I always feel (my imagination talking) like I'm being lied to about room assignment/availability or that I should have wined more or demanded to talk to a manager. I do not like to feel either of those attributes. And I believe room ready does give the least desirable rooms to those that come late. We have arrived late and may in the future and I would not mind room ready if it is a clear policy but would prefer a pre assigned system.
As I said before, DVC is not putting much effort into any system at this point, at least not consistently. Sometimes they do preassign and other times they do not. But even that would work if they actually put an effort into it, esp if they preassigned those that should have higher priority such as home resort or by earliest booking date. Right now it's little more than controlled chaos. I'd venture that most people are happy just because the luck of the draw suggests that the majority will not get a room that's truly unacceptable. However, getting a room that's acceptable is not the same as having reasonable requests met.

MikeSquared said:
You are mistaken about the reservation process, the rooms ARE assigned when the reservation gets to the desk about a week before check-in. At that point my requests noted and a room is assigned that meets my requests to the best of their ability. I NEVER had a problem before the room ready policy, nor did I have a problem with requests at any other Disney property before I owned DVC. I purchased at BCV because that's where I wanted to stay and I wanted the 11 month reservation window there. I STILL think the earlier reservations should have request priority, especially at BCV since it's the smallest DVC, but I guess thats just too fair a system for those of us who plan ahead.

The problem with room ready begins on check-in day. Joe Schmo and family get to BCV at 9am and the room he was assigned, he requested lower floor close to elevator, is not available yet. The room I was assigned IS ready, but I haven't checked in yet because I'm still in another state. I'm not going to check-in until 3pm because I may have to wait until 4pm anyway per the contract I signed. Joe has 2 cranky kids and doesn't want to wait (even though he signed the same contract as I did), so he complains. The desk offers him the room that is ready now, MINE, so when I get there at 3pm I end up in the room he was suppose to get (or some other complainers) which is the complete opposite of what I requested.

Those complainers are the ones who forced DVC to make the room ready policy in the first place. Just because they can't wait for their room per a contract they signed, I now can't get any of my requests met because I do follow the rules and don't expect to be in my room before 4pm.

I don't have a problem with people getting into a room asap, I have a problem with the desk giving away the room I was assigned because some complainer didn't want to wait (per the 4pm check-in policy) for the room he was assigned. If room ready were a request you would still be assigned a room a week before check-in, but the desk could take any other room ready reservation and swap it with the person checking-in.

When I purchased DVC I signed a contract that said I could make requests and that check-in was 4pm, the room ready policy negates both of those and that's why I sold. I'll go back to making my reservations and requests through CRO and paying more, but I'll know my requests will be more important and Disney will want to keep me, a paying customer, happy. Like I said, I never had a problem having my requests met in the past.
I suspect many LESS disappointing stays during my future Disney Vacations.

Well, I tried but some people still just don't get it. Sorry but I can't make it any more clear for you. What you've described could NEVER happen with a room ready system. They couldn't whine there way into a room that wasn't "ready". The system you describe is what happens now when they assign rooms. I give up! Somebody shoot me. :crazy2:

DAVE

Daitcher said:
:goodvibes I'd be happy to charge drinks to my account for any and all at BCV Feb 27th - March 4th and then at OKW from March 7th - 9th at OKW. Just look for the guy, drink in hand, :drinking1 actually enjoying WDW. Just ask for the Daitcher.

DAVE

I could have used that information about 8 months ago, instead I made my BCV reservations for June. :rotfl2:

I agree that DVC could do a better job with requests. But before any system is going to work they would have to first dedicate themselves to actually enforcing whatever policy they adopt, something I'm afraid to say is not going to happen.

Personally I found that worrying less about the room view gave us a lot less stress about our trip.

We've had the handicap rooms, another time the dumpster view at the WL (I had to lean over the balconey to see it). Other times we've had one of the rooms that overlooks the VWL pool (gorgeous view). We figure that the "bad" and "good" views will even out over time.
A view will not make or break or vacation. That being said being given a smoking room will.

That being said I'm concerned about the room ready policy and the proximity of some dvcers to Disney. Those living around the Disney area could say check in around 9 am. Us folks from the Midwest get in around 2 pm or later (depending on flight schedule). So technically the farther out from Disney you are, the slimmer the pickings of the rooms.
I suppose one could fix this by flying down and staying in a Disney resort and checking into DVC resort the next day.

Interesting thread, food for thought. Thanks!!!

Well, it seems like the "get rid of requests altogether" approach isn't problem solving, but rather problem avoidance. If a steak house decided that too many patrons were complaining about the way steaks were cooked, and steak house management thought the way some DVC'ers do, they would simply tell their customers that steaks would only be cooked WELL DONE or MEDIUM RARE. Does this eliminate complaints? Absolutely not! For the folks who like WELL DONE or MEDIUM RARE, this is great, but for those who prefer their cuts of meat prepared somewhat differently, this would be unacceptable. Result of plan? Elimination of customers who don't fit into the "my way or the highway" definition of customer service.

Obviously for the members who have set their personal satisfaction bars so low that they can never be disappointed, no matter what room they get, any system will suit them just fine. But for those who have more than minimal expectations, a more coherent system is probably necessary. If there is a problem with the way DVC assigns rooms, it isn't going to be solved by the elimination of requests. This would create more problems, not less. Rather the solution lies in devising a fair and uniform method of doling out that precious commodity we all paid beaucoup bucks for... DVC rooms.

jarestel said:
Well, it seems like the "get rid of requests altogether" approach isn't problem solving, but rather problem avoidance. If a steak house decided that too many patrons were complaining about the way steaks were cooked, and steak house management thought the way some DVC'ers do, they would simply tell their customers that steaks would only be cooked WELL DONE or MEDIUM RARE. Does this eliminate complaints? Absolutely not! For the folks who like WELL DONE or MEDIUM RARE, this is great, but for those who prefer their cuts of meat prepared somewhat differently, this would be unacceptable. Result of plan? Elimination of customers who don't fit into the "my way or the highway" definition of customer service.

Obviously for the members who have set their personal satisfaction bars so low that they can never be disappointed, no matter what room they get, any system will suit them just fine. But for those who have more than minimal expectations, a more coherent system is probably necessary. If there is a problem with the way DVC assigns rooms, it isn't going to be solved by the elimination of requests. This would create more problems, not less. Rather the solution lies in devising a fair and uniform method of doling out that precious commodity we all paid beaucoup bucks for... DVC rooms.
It depends. No expectations, means nothing to live up to. And this is where the system is now, IMO.

Daitcher said:
Well, I tried but some people still just don't get it. Sorry but I can't make it any more clear for you. What you've described could NEVER happen with a room ready system. They couldn't whine there way into a room that wasn't "ready".
No, your the one that don't get it. There's no way to sugar coat it, not being able to make ANY requests would be stupid. I wouldn't even think about buying a timeshare where you couldn't request an area or a view. We've even thought about buying a fixed unit timeshare so we'd KNOW what was out the window. If DVC switched to the system your trying to promote it would be completely awful to most people, and more would jump ship like I did.

Daitcher said:
The system you describe is what happens now when they assign rooms.
Exactly! And it is not a fair system for those who check in after noon and value being able to request an area or view. A fair system would be to honor requests giving the date the reservation was made a priority, and adhering to the 4pm check-in per the contract. If the room's not ready at 9am then the whiners can wait. I shouldn't have to get the rooms nobody wants every time I vacation because I check-in late.

Daitcher said:
I give up! Somebody shoot me. :crazy2: .
I'd be happy if DVC shot down the "Room Ready" policy and went back to the way it was. The complainers can wait until their assigned room is ready. I'd even re-buy at BCV and purchase those SSR points we were thinking about before our last trip. But I don't think that's going to happen, so it's back to regular resort rooms and management that actually wants to keep "me" the customer happy.

Forever a Princess said:
That being said I'm concerned about the room ready policy and the proximity of some dvcers to Disney. Those living around the Disney area could say check in around 9 am. Us folks from the Midwest get in around 2 pm or later (depending on flight schedule). So technically the farther out from Disney you are, the slimmer the pickings of the rooms.
I suppose one could fix this by flying down and staying in a Disney resort and checking into DVC resort the next day.

Well, with Dave's system, you aren't being given a choice of any room that is going to open that day. You are given the choice of the rooms that are clean and ready when you are standing at the front desk. And Disney will have some rooms that weren't occupied the day before ready at 6:00 am. Most rooms will be taken, though, early in the morning. Rooms probably come into service at a fairly steady clip from 9:00 am (people catching early flights) until 4:00 pm or later (people leaving late, mousekeeping not getting to the room immediately. You probably wouldn't want to arrive at 10:00 pm, but I don't think that was ever ideal - under assigned rooms or room ready - under assigned rooms, squeeky wheels still got the grease.

That is really what needs to stop, is the creating magic for one guest by disappointing one further down the line....no matter what system is used.

I

MikeSquared said:
No, your the one that don't get it. There's no way to sugar coat it, not being able to make ANY requests would be stupid. I wouldn't even think about buying a timeshare where you couldn't request an area or a view. We've even thought about buying a fixed unit timeshare so we'd KNOW what was out the window. If DVC switched to the system your trying to promote it would be completely awful to most people, and more would jump ship like I did.

Exactly! And it is not a fair system for those who check in after noon and value being able to request an area or view. A fair system would be to honor requests giving the date the reservation was made a priority, and adhering to the 4pm check-in per the contract. If the room's not ready at 9am then the whiners can wait. I shouldn't have to get the rooms nobody wants every time I vacation because I check-in late.

I'd be happy if DVC shot down the "Room Ready" policy and went back to the way it was. The complainers can wait until their assigned room is ready. I'd even re-buy at BCV and purchase those SSR points we were thinking about before our last trip. But I don't think that's going to happen, so it's back to regular resort rooms and management that actually wants to keep "me" the customer happy.

Are you out of the system? Your lack of knowledge is shocking. Nothing you've stated makes sense. They currently use both systems incorrectly. They do use both by the way. Using them incorrectly is really the basis of the problems. See my earlier offer for a drink if you are at BCV. Seems like you need one. Also if you bought into DVC expecting a certain view you willbe forver dissapointed I'm afraid. Help guys, anyone else see where this guy is way off? :crazy2:

DAVE

Daitcher said:
Once again someone doesn't understand how room ready works. You state "someone can show up at 9 a.m. and get the room I was assigned because of "room ready". There are no rooms assigned with room ready. At 9:00 a.m the only rooms available to the guest would be what is cleaned and ready. They could not ask for or get the best room in the house just because they were there early. Now in your defense the problem lies with the fact that Disney doesn't stick to the policy. If they did you might get the best room in the house at 3:00 because it just was cleaned and into the system. Now they crumble to the complainers and gripers. Sorry you sold your DVC because of this. It seems IMO you'd be hard presed to be satisfied at any timeshare property. Requests are always going to be just that a request. It doesn't matter if you book 2 years in advance. People have to stop with this "i booked 11 months out thing. Nobody cares! Lets say there are 20 rooms that meet your top floor Epcot view request, now lets say 40 BCV owners booking 11 months out request that same common request, how can they possibly make you all happy? 20 of you go away unhappy. Room ready if followed properly is really the only way to go. It is also cost effective because room assigners would be out. Sorry but I can't get on board with much of what you've said here. I suspect many more dissapointing stays are headed your way.

DAVE

By not accepting any view requests, people can't get disappointed when they don't get the view they want. However, they will be pleasantly surprised if they do get the view they want. The way to go is to eliminate view requests.

Since I don't "vacation" in the room, view isn't all that important to me. If I happened to get a nice one it's just a bonus to me. 90% of the time I'm out of the room at 7:00 in the morning and not back until after 10:00 in the evening so there's not much to "view". I might request a particular building that offers conveniences, but if I don't get it, it's not going to ruin my trip.

As to the whiners, I have to put up with them in my job and they are in every aspect of life. Thankfully they are a true minority.

If I request room 3521 at OKW and that's all, I expect to be disappointed. Because sure as shooting, that room is going to be occupied when I get there. But when I request Turtle Pond area, well, that's quite a few rooms and I have always gotten that request. I really don't mind waiting for a room to be ready. I just don't like being told my room IS ready, going over to the room and finding the staff is just starting to clean it because the previous guest just left (at 4:15).

Non-smoking should be easy to assign. That's the majority of the rooms. Why not make it all the rooms and create nice smoking areas on the grounds where guests can smoke. That's what we do in hospitals. Smoking always creates a larger housekeeping problem. Either those rooms turn yellow and get burn marks all over or they get redone more frequently.

I'd rather a CM tell the guest "here's your room. It's located here. It's smoking/non-smoking like you requested."

We've never had a room that we considered bad or not the best choice, except for one at OKW that was so overgrown with trees and shrubs that you couldn't see out the windows. That is a maintenance issue that needs to be taken care of.

I think they made a mistake at the BW when they broke out the standard view and then, later on, the Boardwalk view.

Will they break out the DTD view at SSR?

I'd rather be able to make a few simple requests, than have to take what was ready and didn't meet any of these or have to keep coming back. That's what would cause more problems. Can't you just see it? "I've been here three times already and I want my top floor, non-smoking, near the elevators, pool view, dedicated 2nd bedroom, yellow bedspread, blue lamps, right handed kitchen.....What!!! You just gave that to the guest in front of me?????#@#%$"

Deb & Bill said:
I think they made a mistake at the BW when they broke out the standard view and then, later on, the Boardwalk view.

"

Why do you think this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter