• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Going with guesses since I have clues...

Biergarten

Beaches and cream

Sci - Fi

Via Napoli

Boma

I see 2 correct guesses. You missed one clue: only 2 of the restaurants are within theme parks.

Now for the update. I saw the trash the van post so after the spill poop was coming. I hope you had extra Chik Fil napkins.

Baby wipes! Lots and lots of baby wipes!

Poor Sarah. Getting that stain out would have been a challenge. Darn styrofoam cups, you get the angle just right and a straw is like a needle.

I've never had that happen before, but she really did a number on the cup there.

Great view and yeah , WHAM there area mountains. Good that you were able to kill some time and take in a great view.

I can't believe how abrupt the land changes. Really cool.

Poopapoloozla sounds like so much fun. :eek: Don't miss those days at all. I think I still stockpile napkins in my car for spills and such because of those past experiences.

Like a good mom should!:thumbsup2

Dinner looks and sounds great. That deep fried apple pie is drool worthy. :hyper:

I could go for some right now...it was even better than the deep-fried McDonald's pies in Hawaii!

Dave feels left out? really? I bet at the end of the day he was glad he was left out.

Sometimes he says stuff and we're like...:confused3

Scotty and one shoe?
One camping trip and we left for our couple hour trip with kids in the back seat. We get to the camp site after dark and I tell them get your shoes on so they can help unpack.
Then it goes like this.

DD: "Where are my shoes? "
Me: "Where you left them." They often will shed shoes in the car for long trips.
DD: "I thought you had them."
Me: "Why would I have your shoes? They should be on YOUR feet.

NOPE - No shoes at all. So now we have to work around her to get a tent up then carry her to said tent and unload 1 person short.

Next Morning- we find a family dollar near the state park we are in - about 30 minutes drive and buy sneakers. Best $7 sneakers she ever had.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: We ended up with a similar solution!

After that it was a joke- Got your shoes? That was not the first time either. During a trip to the beach the only pair of shoes we did bring ended up in the ocean the first night we got there. They were still on her feet so not lost but not wearable the next day. You would think I would have learned..... :sad2:

We may or may not have made similar comments during the rest of this trip...:rolleyes1

I just felt like running…

+1:thumbsup2

Not every location on the map can live up to the lofty standards established by “South of the Boarder” ya’ know.

Well, I think that goes without saying at this point.

There’s a Colorado History museum in Delaware?
Fancy that…

Clumsy…
Too bad you didn’t stumble over several misplaced sacks of their wears instead.

Man, you are on a roll with the Dad jokes today.

Unfortunate... I got to go through there way back when I was 11.
It was quite unique and I’ve been a casual collector of coins since.

It made me think--You know, I should really try and get to the Philadelphia Mint one of these days.

:laughing:
Being as no population on Earth is nearly as skilled as the US public when it comes to being unabashed smart-a$$s…
I suspect they hear that one on nearly every tour.

By the way, their answer would have been something like… Well, we’re working on it, but nickels cost more than face value as well and by a worse margin, so replacing the cent with more nickels wouldn’t be cost effective. Besides, the margins on dimes and quarters more than make up for it. It is true that we could force rounding to the nearest dime though and of course, we could also go completely electronic. If you trust that there will never be a situation where you wouldn’t have access to an electronic connection.

Now, I’m not for or against any of these notions myself…
But I know that’s basically what they’d have said.
See how helpful these boards are…
You didn’t even get to go and yet you still got the same level of entertainment out of it.

Nothing defuses a smart-a$$ quicker than a calm and reasonable answer. Still, I think we've reached the time when the lower denominations of coins have outlived their usefulness.

Our first stop of the day…

Spoke too soon…
our first emergency visit of the day to “The Necessary”.

4 kids in the car. It was inevitable.

Yours and everyone else’s under the sun.
I relate it to that whole “their brain ain’t done cooking yet” thing.
(and for some it never gets beyond the half-baked stage either… just sayin’)

Fortunately, that brain problem gets solved completely once you're all grown up.:rolleyes1

Baseball is a unifying thread throughout our country.
Even if you don’t care for or follow the game, we all can relate.

For men especially, sports is always the one subject you can always fall back on in conversation, no matter who you're with.

See…
Baseball comes through again!
It saved your sorry rump this time.

I love baseball!:woohoo:

I suspect this is typical…
Remind me never to rent a van when traveling.
Lord knows what all’s been going on in those things before they get turned over to the next poor slob.

Hey, we worked hard on it with the baby wipes.

Mumm’s the word.
She won’t hear it from me. :thumbsup2:

I appreciate your discretion.

The very definition of vacation

Good point!

Interesting.
Had not heard that tale.

So is there a rule that only Denver minted coins can be tossed onto the grave, or did y’all toss a few of those accursed Philly coins on there just to be spiteful.

Not really sure why the coins are there, other than people will toss coins on just about anything. And I knew Philly sports teams were cursed, but the coins too? We just can't catch a break.

Oh, so now it’s our fault?
Now I see how this works.

I needed somebody to blame when Julie gave me the stinkeye. Sorry.

Trained?
I’d say y’all are barely house broken

:sad2:

All hail the Grand Imperial Poobah - Ack, Ack, A-Dak!

fraternal_poohbah.jpg

Who wouldn’t want something that promises right up front that it will be a miserable failure at its only appointed task?

Whoa…
That might make for the most perfect campaign slogan yet devised!

Tuesday Morning Quarterback promises: all predictions wrong, or your money back!

Imagine where you’d be without such supervision.
She must be saving those Denver Pennies for something else.

Without the budget committee, we'd be in a lot more debt, but having a lot more fun.

Reminds me of an old Gallagher routine where he pitied the folks that live in Denver. Imagine, their ancestors traveling by covered wagon on the adventure of a life time across the Great Plaines toward the coast until they got to the Rockies. They then took one look up and said: nope, momma didn’t raise no fool, you can go on to California, I’m staying right here.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Denver was settled.

After letting the thing air out a bit first, of course.

Naturally.

Painful…
So was it worse than the H-1?
I was unaware of that one. Did a little looking and rarely ever found it listed as a concern compared to other major roads. I did find one article that ranks it as the 24th worst commute. Imagine how sole crushing the ones ahead of it must be.

I only found the H-1 to be a problem during rush hour. So, yes, I-25 was worse.

:lmao: Poo with a view.

I’ve said it before…
He has an excellent grip on his primary occupation.

A baby's job is to eat, sleep, and poop. He does great with 2 out of the 3.

A hit or miss recommendation sometimes but usually the mark of something worth at least one visit.

Usually we zero in on some specific menu item that is featured on the show.

You… you… didn’t order… a… a… a burger? :faint:
That’s the equivalent of my son ordering something that once contained chlorophyll.

You have to space the burgers out. Don't worry, they're coming.

See! That’s what you get.

Fine, I won't order any more fried chicken on the trip.

I can’t call you out on that assertion.
I’ve sadly tasted neary a bit of either version.

Sounds intriguing though.

Mmm...deep-fried sandwich...

Carnival inspired deserts?

Pretty much.

Yep.. That’s Carnie food if ever I’ve encountered it.

I didn't see any deep-fried Oreos, though.

So I take it that y’all consider this particular dish to be somewhat tolerable, then.

And the Pacific Ocean has some water in it.

I think that’s generally the rule at most all restaurants.

Grease = yum.

::yes::

An honor all those ramshackle joints sporting Michelin Stars only wish they could attain someday.

Well, they can't all be held to such high standards. The typical portion sizes at those uppity places usually disqualify them right out of the gate.

You need to keep an eye on your water intake as well.
Trust me on that one.

But y’all should already be familiar with that issue.

::yes:: Doesn't mean we'll handle it perfectly, though.

If you hadn’t told us it was Scotty…
We might have suspected you of exaggerating just a mite here.

Like I said, he is now in the Tyson Zone.

You betch’em, Red Rider.

Did you bring your BB gun?

DS managed the odd matched sneakers as they were very close in coloring and why he had 2 pairs, I don't know, except he still does not like white sneakers. Plus, even as a baby, he's not a morning person. As a teen, he sleeps a little more, but is still not that 10 hour sleeper. Hope you found the missing shoe, but if you didn't, oh well. We've had flip flops magically disappear from a pool one time. I know, when you have kids, things just disappear or they can't find that.

No, the shoe never re-appeared. For all we know, it's still on the plane, traveling the continent...

Hey, for once I'm only days behind instead of weeks/months..........

That's certainly an improvement. Keep it up!:thumbsup2

Well, I guess that is better than them not giving you quite enough............

I was quite happy with having more than enough fuel to get there, believe me.

Okay, well at least you weren't lucky number 13, so baby Drew falling asleep has to be lucky too right???

Um...sure.

If you squint just a little, you could imagine you were flying international over the ocean...........

Maybe that was the problem. I just wasn't imagining a better view.

At least it was pretty uneventful after all of the take-off challenges. And you apparently didn't turn into "that family!"

The secret was to sit near all of the other families with babies!:rotfl2:

I guess you were Oblivious that you might NEED a plan B? :sad2:

One could say that.

You just can't make this stuff up............. :rotfl2: I mean..............POOR Sarah! :o

File that one under "problems I never dreamed I'd have to deal with".

Too bad you didn't get to do this. I really enjoyed the tour of the Philadelphia mint when I was there.

I'm going to have to do that one of these days!

And then...........Scotty happened!

He always does!

Hope you took the insurance...........

Nah. Baby wipes are cheaper.

Somehow, I'm guessing reading this won't be a big revelation for her...........

:rolleyes1

And headed to the crappy drinky Siena?

Hey, that name kind of rolls off the tongue.:rotfl:

No, things aren't likely to get a whole lot better from here on out. This IS an Oblivious family trip after all!

You've read one or two of these before, have you?

Glad you got that boy some clean............drawers!

rimshot.gif

Steuben's.........got it! :thumbsup2 I'm just surprised it took you this long to figure out Frosted Flakes are better with ice cream............

Sorry. I guess we're slow around here.

And then Scotty..............oh nevermind!

I do go in early. I live south of town so the highway is great until I get to the construction zone in Lone Tree. I used to date a guy that lived closer to Golden and it usually took me an hour to drive to his house after work. There is a rumor that my office may move downtown and I pray it doesn't! Traffic is crazy. Denver is growing so fast that the infrastructure just can't keep up. We have toll roads the go around town but they are so expensive people tend not to use them.

Yeah, that's usually the case. Land developers aren't typically burdened with the same laws and oversight that public projects are, so we're always lagging behind in terms of getting the infrastructure in place to handle the growth.

And nobody drives on toll roads because nobody wants to pay for the infrastructure!:rotfl2:

Man, you are on a roll with the Dad jokes today.

You were pitchin’ under hand at the time.
I had to swing at those.

It’s a law.

It made me think--You know, I should really try and get to the Philadelphia Mint one of these days.

It’s one of the places on my list if I ever get up that way. That and…
Wait…
You haven’t done that yet?

Must be the way everyone treats their home stomping grounds…
We’ll go out of our way to see something somewhere else, but never get around to checking out the stuff that’s close to home.

I suppose that next you’ll tell me none of y’all has ever been aboard the USS Olympia either.

Nothing defuses a smart-a$$ quicker than a calm and reasonable answer. Still, I think we've reached the time when the lower denominations of coins have outlived their usefulness.

And truth be told, I generally agree with you.
Sad but true – monetary transactions have change greatly across my life time.
I ain’t against change (so to speak), but a lot of the change that occurs, also just chips away from our culture and heritage a little bit here and there.

I may well be obsolete, but it just twinges a mite every time the fact gets pointed out.

Fortunately, that brain problem gets solved completely once you're all grown up.:rolleyes1

You don’t say?
Apparently I’ve not been paying close enough attention to notice that.

Not really sure why the coins are there, other than people will toss coins on just about anything. And I knew Philly sports teams were cursed, but the coins too? We just can't catch a break.

Must be a ‘Trevi Fountain” kind’a thing; toss a coin and one day you’ll return to Lookout Mountain.
Oh and the Philly coins aren’t cursed everywhere…

Just in Denver.
Competition ya’ know.

A baby's job is to eat, sleep, and poop. He does great with 2 out of the 3.

I thought he was finally sleeping fairly decent.

Or has he broken my boy’s 22-month record?
(I’m still to this day trying to catch up on that sleep)

Fine, I won't order any more fried chicken on the trip.

And that’ won’t surprise my one single bit.

And the Pacific Ocean has some water in it.

And a couple of bits of floating plastic too.
Like any other mud puddle.

::yes:: Doesn't mean we'll handle it perfectly, though.

Got sent out there a good while back on a business trip.
Learned a nasty lesson about dehydration for those of us not use to such conditions.
Took to keeping a glass of water on my night stand and grabbing a sip any time I woke up at night.
That’s a habit I still have to this day – funny how things like that will stick with you.

Like I said, he is now in the Tyson Zone.

::yes:: saw where you used that description on an earlier reply.
I’d not heard it before, but I like it and will be adding it to the normal rotation.

Did you bring your BB gun?

I brought Ol’ Blue
Lucky I've got a compass in the stock.

That Wrigley Field trip just popped up in my Facebook memories feed. Good times.

The difference between Ryder and Scotty? We know exactly where Ryder's shoe is. In the Niagara River, floating along in class 6 rapids. Or at least it was last summer. Probably made its way to Lake Ontario by now.

So did I, which is why I pointed this out. My family is weird.

Hey, man. You said it, not me.

::yes:: I felt a little sorry for her. But mostly relieved that I was somewhere else.:thumbsup2

:confused3 I'm too cheap, I guess.

Toss a nickel in and his ghost will come and give you two pennies change.

It's ok if we leave one behind, we have plenty more.

:laughing:

:eek: So is this when you would arrange to be elsewhere?

Maybe. :rolleyes:

Good point. "Here's what I think of your scenic view!"

:lmao:

Hey, something has to kill you. Might as well die happy.

:thumbsup2

I felt sympathy for Julie, but can’t deny a secret feeling of relief that I’d missed having to deal with it. Don't tell her I said that.

I purposefully take my shower around the time that DS needs to go poop at night so that DH has to deal with it. He still hasn't figured it out yet. :teeth:

This is my kind of store! I find so much hilariousness out of these items, I try to make up in my head who could be of use of these just so I can purchase them. ::yes::

Admit it, you were eagerly anticipating the poop stories, weren’t you?

ulie and I both liked it better than the one we ate at Café Orleans in Disneyland last year. It was pure deep-fried bliss.

I'm sure the price difference helped too!

Frosted Flakes.

This is literally, my favorite cereal ever :faint: I need this in my life!

“lost his shoe. His SHOE.”

:rotfl2::rotfl:I always watch this ad when it comes on, it's so funny!

Well, as it turned out, that was Scotty. He had worn his flip-flops on the plane and packed his sneakers into his carry-on bag. When we opened his carry-on bag in the hotel, we could only find one shoe. Somewhere between our house, the Philadelphia airport, the plane, the Denver airport, Lookout Mountain, Steuben’s, and our hotel, he’d lost his shoe. His SHOE.

So it really does happen?! :lmao:

You were pitchin’ under hand at the time.
I had to swing at those.

It’s a law.

I can't blame you there. I'd have done the same thing.

It’s one of the places on my list if I ever get up that way. That and…
Wait…
You haven’t done that yet?

Must be the way everyone treats their home stomping grounds…
We’ll go out of our way to see something somewhere else, but never get around to checking out the stuff that’s close to home.

I suppose that next you’ll tell me none of y’all has ever been aboard the USS Olympia either.

We have not. But we have been on the USS Constellation in Baltimore, the USS Yorktown in Charleston...we've seen enough that we don't feel the need to see each and every ship out there. I think the most obvious attractions in our area we have yet to do with the kids are the Philadelphia Mint and Fort McHenry.

And truth be told, I generally agree with you.
Sad but true – monetary transactions have change greatly across my life time.
I ain’t against change (so to speak), but a lot of the change that occurs, also just chips away from our culture and heritage a little bit here and there.

I may well be obsolete, but it just twinges a mite every time the fact gets pointed out.

Like anything else, sometimes change is for the better...and sometimes not.

You don’t say?
Apparently I’ve not been paying close enough attention to notice that.

So I've been told.

Must be a ‘Trevi Fountain” kind’a thing; toss a coin and one day you’ll return to Lookout Mountain.
Oh and the Philly coins aren’t cursed everywhere…

Just in Denver.
Competition ya’ know.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. I was worried I'd have to throw my coins away immediately.

I thought he was finally sleeping fairly decent.

Or has he broken my boy’s 22-month record?
(I’m still to this day trying to catch up on that sleep)

Well, for a while, he was doing ok. On this trip, we learned that if he falls asleep for the night before we get to the hotel room, there will be you-know-what to pay. And now he might be teething again, because he's on a 2-week stretch of waking up crying at 5 a.m.

And that’ won’t surprise my one single bit.

But you won't see the first burger for a couple more days.

And a couple of bits of floating plastic too.
Like any other mud puddle.

With a sheen of oil. And some fish, I guess.

Got sent out there a good while back on a business trip.
Learned a nasty lesson about dehydration for those of us not use to such conditions.
Took to keeping a glass of water on my night stand and grabbing a sip any time I woke up at night.
That’s a habit I still have to this day – funny how things like that will stick with you.

Yeah, there's definitely an effect. We'll get more into that.

::yes:: saw where you used that description on an earlier reply.
I’d not heard it before, but I like it and will be adding it to the normal rotation.

Feel free to steal it, since I already did!

I brought Ol’ Blue
Lucky I've got a compass in the stock.

Now let's take care of Black Bart.

That Wrigley Field trip just popped up in my Facebook memories feed. Good times.

That was fun. I was glad we got the chance to see the stadium, and almost see the dugout.

The difference between Ryder and Scotty? We know exactly where Ryder's shoe is. In the Niagara River, floating along in class 6 rapids. Or at least it was last summer. Probably made its way to Lake Ontario by now.

In a few years, you'll see a social media blitz from Spain, trying to locate the owner of the shoe.

Hey, man. You said it, not me.

Well, I have to call it as I see it.

Toss a nickel in and his ghost will come and give you two pennies change.

Reminds me of the old Abbott and Costello routine. "Quick, here's a five, gimme two tens!"

I purposefully take my shower around the time that DS needs to go poop at night so that DH has to deal with it. He still hasn't figured it out yet. :teeth:

That's so cruel...and yet, so brilliant!

This is my kind of store! I find so much hilariousness out of these items, I try to make up in my head who could be of use of these just so I can purchase them. ::yes::

We try to tread that line between wanting to laugh at the crap in the store but not wanting to waste precious dollars on it.

I'm sure the price difference helped too!

It's definitely a factor!

This is literally, my favorite cereal ever :faint: I need this in my life!

My mother once had a moment of weakness and bought a box of "Donutz" cereal when I was a kid. It was short-lived, and horrible for you. And I loved every bite. I think it was one step removed from Calvin & Hobbes' Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs.

I always watch this ad when it comes on, it's so funny!

I had no idea how true it was!

So it really does happen?!

Apparently!

We have not. But we have been on the USS Constellation in Baltimore, the USS Yorktown in Charleston...we've seen enough that we don't feel the need to see each and every ship out there. I think the most obvious attractions in our area we have yet to do with the kids are the Philadelphia Mint and Fort McHenry.

That one does happen to be one the very few examples from its time period still in existence, but you make a very valid point. One ship is rather similar to any another, with only minor variations in layout and end use.
A little like the way ballparks and stadiums would fit the category.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. I was worried I'd have to throw my coins away immediately.

You can box them up and mail 'em to me.
I'll take care of them for you.

Well, for a while, he was doing ok. On this trip, we learned that if he falls asleep for the night before we get to the hotel room, there will be you-know-what to pay. And now he might be teething again, because he's on a 2-week stretch of waking up crying at 5 a.m.

Ouch...
May that teething stuff run its course quickly.

Those weren't fun nights either.
I do believe I nearly lost all hope and composure from my inability to do something... anything...
to get him through one of those bouts.
One of the many times in my life I actually wished death on myself.

Chapter 2: It happens.

When I’d researched things to do in Denver, I hadn’t come up with a lot of activities that were both family-friendly (i.e. cheap) and unique. They have their zoo, science museum, history museum, amusement park, etc. But we have those same types of attractions close to home, and nothing here seemed so unique that it was an absolute must-see. Then I stumbled across the U.S. Mint in Denver. They offered free tours. That sounded pretty interesting. So, I went online about 2 months in advance to try and make a reservation for a tour.

They were already booked solid for the entire summer. It’s probably just as well, since they wouldn’t want me asking why we’re still making pennies when it costs more than 1 cent to produce them.

So, I asked around. I had a co-worker who used to live in Denver, and he recommended taking a drive to Lookout Mountain, just west of the city. It provided a nice view of the city and a small museum dedicated to western folk hero William “Buffalo Bill” Cody.

So, we plugged “Lookout Mountain” into the GPS and headed west. It’s only a few miles west of the city on I-70, but you have to make a somewhat steep climb as you head into the Rocky Mountains. Just a few miles up, there are signs directing you to the proper exit for Lookout Mountain. Going from downtown Denver to the top of the mountain took about 30 minutes.

When we reached the summit, we pulled into the parking lot for the Lookout Mountain nature center. Not because we had any particular interest, but rather because Scotty announced, “Daddy…I REALLY need to go to the bathroom.” Because, of course, our kids are only able to perceive that particular urge once their bladders are completely full and/or overflowing. So I took Scotty and David inside to take care of business (our boys go in groups, too). While inside, the volunteer on duty noticed my Wrigley Field t-shirt and asked if we were from Chicago. So I explained that it was just my souvenir from our Chicago trip a few years back and we struck up a baseball conversation for a few minutes.

Finally, we walked back to the van in the parking lot. I noticed the side doors were open, and Julie had all sorts of bags and wipes out. The baby was wearing a brand new outfit.

“Good timing, hon,” she said. “You just missed Poopapalooza 2015.”

Planned that well, didn't you? ;)

Apparently, Drew’s orange juice intake earlier had caused a blowout of such proportions that it had fouled his clothing (including the front of his shirt somehow), his car seat, and the van seat. So, now we’d managed to mess the van with both Cherry Coke and poop in a matter of hours. Honestly, I can't take these people anywhere.

I felt sympathy for Julie, but can’t deny a secret feeling of relief that I’d missed having to deal with it. Don't tell her I said that.

Anyway, we finally got cleaned up as best we could and drove the short distance to the Buffalo Bill Museum. It’s a tiny place and kind of run-down, and we didn’t bother paying the admission for the museum itself. We did wander over the observation deck, where we were treated to a very nice view of the city of Denver.

IMG_9144.jpg

Gorgeous.

Baby Drew was happy to be out of his car seat and running around aimlessly.

IMG_9148.jpg

He's getting so big.

The other kids seemed happy to be out in the fresh mountain air as well.

IMG_9149.jpg

I can't believe the boys are still wearing those Chicago shirts.

IMG_9152.jpg

Too funny! :rotfl2:
A short path up the hill takes you to Buffalo Bill’s grave site. Apparently there was some dispute over where Mr. Cody would be buried upon his death. The town of Cody, Wyoming (which he helped found) felt his body should be laid to rest there. But his family insisted that his wish was to be buried on top of Lookout Mountain in Colorado. They won the argument.

IMG_9158.jpg

Coming back down the trail, we had the opportunity to bypass the crappy tourist trap gift shop and head straight back to the parking lot. But a) we had time to kill, and b) I felt a profound moral obligation to thoroughly investigate the area, document my travels and report my findings to you, my dear readers. I hope you appreciate extra effort, performed solely on your behalf and certainly not under any morbid fascination with the utterly craptacular treasures we’d find inside.

As always, we have trained models ready to show off the finest in haberdashery:

IMG_9159.jpg

Nice job!

IMG_9160.jpg

Sorry...the kids do it better (as does my husband), but I'll give you an A for effort.

And this sounds…less than useful:

IMG_9161.jpg

I have no words.

IMG_9162.jpg

Just what every bald man needs.

Apparently Colorado is in need of some good young women. Do any of you meet the qualifications?

IMG_9164.jpg

Guess I'm not goign to fall into that category.

The Budget Committee made sure to strike down any requests for funds, and we managed to escape without bringing any of these fine treasures home with us.

Back outside, we took in the view at the other end of the parking lot. Here we see the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. I was fascinated by the fact that there was no gently rolling transition—just an abrupt break between the mountains to the west and the plains to the east.

IMG_9167.jpg

Another very pretty view.

We couldn’t find anything else to do up there, so we piled into the van again. It was only about 3:30 p.m. and we weren’t hungry for dinner yet. So we decided to drive back to the city and check into our hotel. We would be staying for 2 nights just south of town at the Best Western Plus Denver Tech Center.

The problem, as it turned out, was getting there. We drove east on Rt. 6 and then took I-25 South…and hit a dead stop. I had thought we’d be fine as we were traveling well before rush hour, but I was soon to learn that on I-25 in Denver, rush hour goes from 7:30 a.m. until about 8:00 p.m. We crawled along, stopping and starting over several miles before we could finally get to our exit.

The hotel turned out to be a fairly nice one, and we’d recommend it to anyone who needed to stay in the area. The rooms were clean, and the breakfast food was above average as far as standard hotel breakfasts go.

Drew was once again happy to be out of the car seat and decided to explore.

IMG_0427.JPG

Was this his bed for the night?

In fact, he liked the place so much he decided to climb up on the air conditioner, assume the position, and mark his territory.

IMG_0425.JPG

Again...no words. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Admit it, you were eagerly anticipating the poop stories, weren’t you?

With that unpleasantness settled, we decided to hit the road again and brave the traffic to get to dinner. We had picked out a place in downtown Denver and figured we needed to leave right away if we were going to get there at a decent hour. Traffic on I-25 north was still a nightmare, but the GPS was helpful in taking us on the fastest route possible. It took somewhere between 30-45 minutes to get back to the downtown area.

We chose to eat dinner at Steuben’s Food Service. We’d seen the place featured once on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It was named after a restaurant in Boston and built in an old maintenance garage and featured American Regional classics on the menu.

IMG_9174.jpg

They kept the old garage doors intact when they re-modeled the garage into the restaurant.

IMG_9173.jpg

I ordered the fried chicken dinner while Julie went for one of her all-time favorites, the Monte Cristo sandwich.

IMG_9177.jpg

And while my chicken was decent, the Monte Cristo ended up being the clear winner. In fact, if it’s not too blasphemous to say, Julie and I both liked it better than the one we ate at Café Orleans in Disneyland last year. It was pure deep-fried bliss.

Speaking of which, it was now time for dessert. We stuck to our family policy of ordering water for everyone at dinner, which tended to save us about $15 a meal. So we felt justified in using a portion of those savings for something sweet at the end. After perusing the menu, I convinced Julie to go for the deep-fried apple pie. You might be detecting a theme here.

IMG_9179.jpg

As you can see, this was served warm with some vanilla ice cream on a bed of green apple slices and Frosted Flakes.

It.

Was.

Amazing.

So, so good. The pie itself was great, the ice cream went perfectly with it, and we all decided that we never wanted to eat Frosted Flakes with milk instead of ice cream again. So, the moral of the story is if you ever get the chance to eat at Steuben’s, just order the deep-fried stuff on the menu, and you won’t go wrong. Yes, it takes 5 years off your life, but remember: those would probably be 5 years in a nursing home anyway, so that makes it ok.

Right off the bat, we are awarding Steuben’s Food Service one of our coveted Drooling Homer Excellence in Unpretentious Dining Awards.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

I believe I may have seen that episode. If I ever get to Colorado, I'll keep that place in mind.

We crawled along the highway back to our hotel for the night. We needed to be prepared for some extreme changes in temperature and oxygen levels ahead. We made sure everyone had the proper clothing available, including their sneakers.

Ever see that Booking.com commercial where the bedraggled family is walking through the hotel after the Flight-From-H-E-Double Hockey Sticks? The narrator mentions that one kid threw up on the plane and the other “lost his shoe. His SHOE.” And sure enough, the kid is wearing one shoe.

Well, as it turned out, that was Scotty. He had worn his flip-flops on the plane and packed his sneakers into his carry-on bag. When we opened his carry-on bag in the hotel, we could only find one shoe. Somewhere between our house, the Philadelphia airport, the plane, the Denver airport, Lookout Mountain, Steuben’s, and our hotel, he’d lost his shoe. His SHOE.

This was going to be interesting.

Uh oh....not Scotty!

Coming Up Next: One of our patented death-defying drives. And mountain-climbing in flip-flops!

Sorry it took me awhile to post. I read it three times and meant to post and just never did.

Apparently, Drew’s orange juice intake earlier had caused a blowout of such proportions that it had fouled his clothing (including the front of his shirt somehow), his car seat, and the van seat. So, now we’d managed to mess the van with both Cherry Coke and poop in a matter of hours. Honestly, I can't take these people anywhere.
:faint: Poor Julie! You sure timed that bathroom break right. ::yes::

In fact, he liked the place so much he decided to climb up on the air conditioner, assume the position, and mark his territory.
:rotfl:

As you can see, this was served warm with some vanilla ice cream on a bed of green apple slices and Frosted Flakes.
Yum!

By the way, I listened to your podcast and really enjoyed hearing about your trip. Makes me want to take a big road trip (it's been too long!)

That one does happen to be one the very few examples from its time period still in existence, but you make a very valid point. One ship is rather similar to any another, with only minor variations in layout and end use.
A little like the way ballparks and stadiums would fit the category.

Unless, of course, you have a healthier-than-average interest in ships. Or baseball stadiums. Or whatever floats your boat. Pun not intended. Ok, maybe a little.

You can box them up and mail 'em to me.
I'll take care of them for you.

It's in the mail!

Ouch...
May that teething stuff run its course quickly.

Those weren't fun nights either.
I do believe I nearly lost all hope and composure from my inability to do something... anything...
to get him through one of those bouts.
One of the many times in my life I actually wished death on myself.

Many times my wife and I have said that we would never condone the actions that lead to shaken baby syndrome, but you can certainly see where it comes from.

Planned that well, didn't you?

:rolleyes1

I can't believe the boys are still wearing those Chicago shirts.

Well, hey, they still fit! And they're reminders of a fun trip and quality meet-up.:thumbsup2
Too funny! :rotfl2:

This kid.

Sorry...the kids do it better (as does my husband), but I'll give you an A for effort.

Aw, come on! That was a good one!

Guess I'm not goign to fall into that category.

Not up on your gutting & cleaning skills?

Was this his bed for the night?

It may as well have been.
Again...no words. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

I believe I may have seen that episode. If I ever get to Colorado, I'll keep that place in mind.

We definitely recommend it!

Sorry it took me awhile to post. I read it three times and meant to post and just never did.

No problem. I've been delayed getting the next chapter done anyway.

:faint: Poor Julie! You sure timed that bathroom break right. ::yes::

What can I say? I'm just that good.

Yum!

By the way, I listened to your podcast and really enjoyed hearing about your trip. Makes me want to take a big road trip (it's been too long!)

Thanks! But now you're spoiled for the rest of the story!

Unless, of course, you have a healthier-than-average interest in ships. Or baseball stadiums. Or whatever floats your boat. Pun not intended. Ok, maybe a little.

”I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.”

Ya' know, after rereading that particular comment...
It wasn't all that... ummm... well thought out.
Won't be happening again if I can help it...

I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

(thinking a moment)

Okay.

Ya' know, after rereading that particular comment...
It wasn't all that... ummm... well thought out.
Won't be happening again if I can help it...

No offense taken in the slightest. Some people are more interested in the nuances of baseball stadiums. Some people are more interested in the nuances of ships. I get it.

You overestimate my memory. :rotfl:

Well, that's a relief! I guess I'd better get this next chapter posted.

Chapter 3: Holy Cheetos!

In this case, Priceline worked for us. I had made most of the hotel reservations for the trip using Priceline’s Express Deals tool. It’s supposed to be a step between normal hotel reservations and bidding on rooms—here, Priceline does the bidding for you. You get offered a few rooms at discounted prices, and the hotel name is hidden from you until you book it. But if you look through the amenities, star rating, and customer review scores, you can usually figure out which hotel it is (or narrow it down considerably).

The Best Western Tech Center turned out to be a good deal. We started early Thursday morning (still somewhat on East Coast time) and got downstairs to the hotel breakfast around 6:30 a.m.

One of the key features I look for in a hotel is a free breakfast. With a family of 6, I need all the free food I can get. Hotel breakfasts all have pretty much the same ingredients, but for some reason vary greatly in quality. We’ve all had that unfortunate breakfast experience where the rubbery “eggs”(that taste more like recycled tire treads), greenish potatoes, stale bread and unripe fruit means you pack everybody into the van and head for the donut shop. I always hate doing that because it weakens the food budget. I mean, I usually feel a little better after eating a donut, but it’s still money I wasn’t planning on spending.

Anyway, the Best Western did breakfast right. Most items were very fresh, and even the fake eggs were somewhat edible. That was a win.

We immediately climbed into our rental van and headed south into the pressure of I-25. But that’s ok. I eat pressure for breakfast. Along with fake eggs. We were heading here:

IMG_9183.jpg

That’s Pikes Peak, near Colorado Springs. It stands 14,110 feet tall. And when I say we were heading here, I mean we were driving all the way to the top of the mountain. We’d wanted to get going early in order to have the best chance of a clear view from the top, before clouds developed later in the day.

The drive down to Colorado Springs took about an hour, and it’s a gorgeous drive. Let’s face it, when you can turn to your right and see the Rockies out the window, well…that doesn’t suck. We fell in love with Colorado very early on.

Along the way, near the Air Force Academy campus (which looked like a beautiful place), there was a pullover with a view of the Academy air field. It’s very difficult to see in this photo, but just over the mountain on the right we could see a plane pulling a glider. Eventually the plane let go of the tow cable and we watched them lazily circle the mountains.

IMG_9187.jpg

Before long, we reached the Pikes Peak Toll Road. There are four ways to ascend the mountain: by foot, by bicycle, by auto, and by train. I had ridden on the Pikes Peak Cog Railway when I was a kid and remembered it as a fun experience, so I’d begun my planning by assuming we’d all ride the train. After all, you don’t get a chance to ride a cog railway very often. However, my enthusiasm was dampened by the fact that it was going to cost us $135 for my family to ride the rails. Also, we’d only get 30 minutes at the top and if we weren’t on the train by then, it would leave without us.

We’d talked with Jill (jedijill, our friendly DIS Denver resident) about our plans, and she recommended driving up the toll road. She felt it was both cheaper and offered better views than the train. At $40, it was still steep (see what I did there?) for a toll road, but saving us close to $100 was appealing. As for the views? Well, we all hoped Jill was right.

IMG_9191.jpg

The toll road is 19 miles long, with approximately 162 turns and switchbacks and an average grade of 7% on the way. It climbs over 8,000 feet from start to finish. It’s 2 lanes (one in each direction) and clings to the side of the mountain most of the way past the tree line, with guardrails somewhat scarce.

Map:

IMG_9275.jpg

Of course, we were no strangers to danger—uh, adventurous drives, having driven to the top of Mt. Mansfield in Vermont, the top of Haleakala on Maui, and conquered the Hana Highway there as well. And then we even conquered the second half of the Hana Highway, with its unpaved roads and PVC-rail bridges. If you recall, that was the drive where Julie called her divorce lawyer and put him on retainer.

If we made it to the top of Pikes Peak, it would be the highest we’d ever been. In terms of elevation, wiseguys. I’m too cheap for any other kinds of thrills. Julie pretended to be excited, but I think she was nervous, thinking: it’s too steep. I only have one rope, and you don’t know how to climb mountains. My only fear was that I’d burn up the brakes on the way down. Not that I really cared about abusing the van, but I needed those brakes to last another couple of weeks.

We got off to a good start. Even with dire warnings posted, everyone seemed to be in good spirits. Even Julie was doing a good job of faking enthusiasm.

IMG_9192.jpg

…and then Scotty happened.

IMG_9194.jpg

We took our time going up (you kind of have to when you’re climbing a 7% grade the whole way), and it turned out that Jill was right. Once we got above the tree line, the views were stunning in every direction. Clear skies meant we could see for miles all around. Julie wasn’t having any of it, though. She preferred to just stare straight ahead. Mostly because the road looked like this:

IMG_9195.jpg

And this:

IMG_9274.jpg

We cruised slowly, content to take our time and carefully navigate the curves. As we climbed above the tree line, we oohed and aahed at the views surrounding us. I made a couple of very tight turns around switchbacks. All of a sudden, there was a loud “BOOM!”

I had a quick panic attack and started trying to figure out what had happened. Did we blow a tire? The thought of changing a tire on that road at that elevation was enough to give me a second panic attack on top of the first one. But…the van seemed to be riding just fine. Had the engine backfired? Was it another car? Had I mistakenly eaten a bean burrito for breakfast?

Sarah spoke up from behind me. “The bag of Cheetos just popped open.”

As it turned out, it was simply a reminder that as you climb in elevation, the air pressure changes all around you. And this, of course, may affect other items already packaged under pressure. Although we’d picked the Holy Trinity of snack foods in our supplies (Doritos, Fritos, and Cheetos), only the Cheetos were affected. Which led Sarah to the following conclusion:

“Mom?” she asked. “I think God really wants us to eat these Cheetos.”

I’m going to call it right now. That was the Quote Of The Trip. And really, how can you refuse what God wants?

In due time, we reached the summit. And yes, it did feel like an accomplishment. It also felt very cold. There was a constant breeze up there, and plenty of snow on the ground. But we’d conquered the mountain (locals call them “fourteeners”).

IMG_9198.jpg

Good thing we’d brought sweatshirts. And proper footwear.

IMG_9196.jpg

We’d made our Target run the night before in order to pick up PB&J supplies, before finding out about Scotty’s shoe problem. And we hadn’t had time to go back, so Scotty was stuck with his flip flops. We tried not to stay in the snow too long.

Another concern was altitude sickness. The air is very thin at 14,000 feet, so your body has to work harder to get its normal amount of oxygen. Not only that, but the air is very dry (since it doesn’t hold moisture well at that altitude), so it’s much easier to become dehydrated. If you’re not acclimated (and having traveled from the East Coast the day before, we probably weren’t), prolonged exposure can cause “altitude sickness”. This is usually marked by fatigue, dizziness, and possibly nausea. You’re gonna start to lose vision in your left eye. Oh, and you’re gonna get a really bad headache and flopsweat. You combat this condition by taking it easy at high altitudes, not trying to over-tax your body, and by drinking plenty of water.

We’d bought a couple of cases of water at Target and were doing our best to follow the advice. We also told the kids several times, “Don’t run around like idiots.” We say that a lot at home, actually. Just about every time we have to go to the store.

But enough about blowing chunks. You want to see these views I keep talking about.

IMG_9208.jpg

Drew didn’t seem very impressed. Actually, he was upset that we weren’t letting him wander into the snow on his own.

IMG_9209.jpg

Southwest, we could see more of the Rocky Mountains:

IMG_9210.jpg

Looking north, towards Denver:

IMG_9235.jpg

This was the end of the Cog Railway tracks. You can see the center rail with the “teeth” that catch the cog wheel on the underside of the train. This helps pull the train up the steep slopes of the mountain.

IMG_9220.jpg

There was also a display commemorating the song, “America the Beautiful”. This song was actually inspired by the view from atop Pikes Peak.

IMG_9216.jpg

We took our time at the top, and between the scenery along the drive and the unhurried, uncrowded views at the top, we were very glad we’d taken Jill’s advice and driven up instead of riding the train. Thanks Jill!

There’s a small visitor center at the top that houses a gift shop and a snack bar. We had one more mission to accomplish at the summit.

Ok, two more missions. First, to take goofy photos:

IMG_9226.jpg

And second, to try some donuts. This was another tip from Jill. Apparently they have to cook them differently at that elevation in order to get them to turn out right. Don’t ask me what the details are, since I don’t mess with cooking unless it involves a grill or a microwave. But in any case, these were nice, warm, crispy, and very tasty.

IMG_9228.jpg

Right about the time we were finishing our donuts, the train arrived. And just like that, the shop was swarming with people. It was definitely much more enjoyable being one of just a handful of people at the top prior to the train’s arrival.

IMG_9231.jpg

Not only were the sudden crowds bothersome, but after an hour we were actually starting to feel the effects of the altitude. We hadn’t run around, but I’d been carrying the baby off and on, and none of us were really acclimated. We were starting to feel a bit light-headed.

So, we took our final looks and began the drive back down. And as it turned out, my fears about burning up the brakes were unfounded. I shifted the van in to low gear and just allowed the engine braking to keep our speed down for the most part. Every once in a while, I’d have to apply the brakes, but doing so in very short bursts and staying in low gear made it easy. All in all, the drive wasn’t that bad at all. I’d happily do it again.

What I wouldn’t do, is attempt to ride my bike up that road. I salute you, brave soul.

IMG_9238.jpg

If nothing else, that downhill ride gives you excellent gas mileage.

IMG_9240.jpg

A couple of family shots at a pull-off on the way down.

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

Coming Up Next: Our first PB&J stop, the neverending attempts to get that perfect Christmas card photo, and a DIS Meet!

Woot Woot! Glad my suggestions worked out! Sorry Julie! Pikes Peak really is stunning...we drove by the base Sunday...not nearly as much snow in August but still some up there.

Jill in CO

I also drove up the peak. Remember the American Beautiful display, and the shop at the top. We didn't take the train either. Put the miles on our rental van also. My favorite picture is of the Rockies.

Nice thing about visiting in summer, not as cold at the top. My kids would have been in flip flops without having loosing a shoe.

All over, some great pictures!

And yes, while we have a family of 4 not 6, with teens and a DH who can do a buffet justice, free breakfast hotels are at the top of our list too.

Fantastic pics. The only time I was in Colorado was winter and the Peak was out. Worth a trip back for the view. Cool about the Cheetos and congrats to Sarah for knowing how to make lemonade out of lemons.

And think about what the MPG would be if you put it in neutral and let it fly. Fly is the appropriate word I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter