Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Great to see you posting!! And I am already scared about what became of that orange juice!!!

It won't take long to find out!

Oh - and I love your avatar!!!

I think she just picked one of the stock images!

I'm going to park this here...

http://disdads.com/archives/6385

:thumbsup2

It was the best of plans,
it was the worst of plans.

A common theme in my TR's.

The plan abides.

+1:thumbsup2

I like that goal.
Show the kids where they live. ::yes::
Made me wonder how many I'd been to.
I counted and I think I'm right... 20.

Not too shabby. Myself, I've been to 49. Alaska is the only one I'm missing. My parents did the same traveling thing for me, and I'm grateful for it.

Nope. I paid for four... and that was bad enough!

:faint:

Impressive.

:darth:

Tight schedule. You must have everyone pretty much organized the night before.
What am I saying! 4am... that is night!

You're not kidding. The kids were already bathed and we'd packed up the car the night before...er, earlier that night. Ugh.

Meh. Everyone was a baby at some point.
They cry sometimes (especially if their ears hurt).
Whatya gonna do.

Yeah, and I feel the same way to some degree. But I also feel like it's my job as the parent to do everything I can to make it as painless as possible for other people.

I find this law is in indirect proportion to the number of times you fly.

Or how quickly you have to make your connecting flight.

I'm pretty sure that all babies are reincarnated thieves and pick-pockets.
Always grabbing.

Pretty sure.

I can see that.

There's that sinking feeling in your gut.

And we hadn't even taken off yet!

Did you worry... maybe just a little... that since they made a mistake by putting too much in... that maybe, just maybe... they might take too much out?

See: Gimli Glider

:scared1: Further proof that nothing good comes from switching to the metric system.

Honestly, I did have that thought in mind. I mean, is having extra fuel ever a bad thing?:confused3

I see what you did there! :thumbsup2

:rolleyes1

Awww..... Cute while it lasts.

If only it lasted.

I take it because of the sleeping bundle in your lap you couldn't stretch over and look down?

In this case, it didn't make any difference.

All right! Love it when a plan comes together!

0848124001430557727_filepicker.jpg

Any cute flight attendants fuss over him?
Babies and dogs man. Babies and dogs.

Dud, my wife was sitting right there! Besides, they all seem to think the baby is far cuter than I am for some reason.

Had that same feeling a few years ago when we drove to them.

An unforgettable view!

Uh, oh.

Reminds me of when I rented a van.
My company has a rate with the rental company which includes unlimited miles.
The renter was quite proud of the fact that the van only had less than 70 kilometers on it.
When I brought it back, there was a new girl at the counter.
She asked me for the odometer reading. I told her I had unlimited miles.
She said she still needed it. (Probably didn't, but it was her first night.)
So I told her: "Six thousand, seven hundred." (Might be off by a little bit. Probably a bit more.)

The look on her face was priceless.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: You're doing it right!

Oh boy. Great start to the vacation!

:sad2:

Well of course she was. You didn't even have to say it.
If she hadn't been, then she never would've had the mess in the first place.

Yeah, that's pretty much how Murphy's Law works.

I bet she was thrilled!

Indubitably!

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for reading it!

Good luck.

You're all counting on me?

I love that you guys make a point to do this for your kids (and yourselves). Those memories and experiences will always stick with them.

Thanks! I know I repeat myself on that point a lot, but that's the hope!

Of course.

But I totally understand about the precious baby sleep time ticking away while you waited to take off.

Baby sleep is a precious commodity, not to be wasted!

Aw, poor kid!

Sorry you missed out on some of your plans (and back-up dining plans).

Looking forward to more!

Don't worry, it'll get better.

At the beginning of this trip, the elder three kids had been to 28 states. Baby Drew, in his year-and-a-half of existence, had already knocked out 14.

:worship: Amazing! Good work 'rental units!

We made the decision to try and do a longer, more expensive flight on this vacation while he was still young enough to ride on our laps. In other words, so I’d only have to pay for 5 tickets instead of 6.

::yes::

Baby Drew did his part by refusing his baby food and trying to steal our hash browns.

Wouldn't you try to steal them too if you were given mush? Mmm, McD's hash browns are pretty good.

The captain informed us that we were 12th in line to take off. So it would be another 20 minutes or so. Meanwhile, Baby Drew fell asleep on my lap.

:faint: What a morning! Not sure why, but I expected a bit of 'drama' (if we can call it that) from you family vacations. Comes with the territory I suppose.

:rotfl2: this would happen!

Not only did we still need to get the rental, but the Denver airport is located only slightly closer to Denver than the Philadelphia airport. Seriously, you can’t even see the city from the airport.

For reals though! It's such a strange airport.

Sarah grabbed her cup of Cherry Coke and shoved her straw through the lid…and also straight through the bottom of the cup. Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour. And she was wearing white shorts.

Ugh, poor Sarah. And poor Toyota Sienna! But I mainly feel sorry for those white shorts.

Seen this once or twice, have you?:rolleyes:

Well you know, I read this guy Mark's TRs.....

Lucky you! I'm in the wrong line of work.

It's a nice perk. Almost makes up for the tedium

I'm at 49! I just need Alaska. But I'm letting the rest of the fam catch up with me.

You're so thoughtful. I'm actually working on an Alaska trip right now for someone. Lots of fun stuff to do!

That sounds brutal. I try to be sympathetic with the other parents. We've all been there before.

I normally try to be sympathetic and understanding. That day, the only thoughts crossing my mind were of the homicidal variety.

I never thought having more fuel than you need was a problem, myself.

Apparently then the plane is too heavy:confused3 So they tell me

Gorgeous! :rotfl2:

Luckily it did clear up on the ride down, and the rest of the day was very pleasant. I actually thought of you then, because we were on the "steepest cogwheel train in the world" and I thought you'd appreciate it

Amazing! Good work 'rental units!

Thanks! We're trying.

Wouldn't you try to steal them too if you were given mush? Mmm, McD's hash browns are pretty good.

Well, sure. But since I was the owner, I wasn't interested in donating a portion.

What a morning! Not sure why, but I expected a bit of 'drama' (if we can call it that) from you family vacations. Comes with the territory I suppose.

We usually get the job done. It's just not always pretty.

:rotfl2: this would happen!

For reals though! It's such a strange airport.

The airport itself is nice. It's just weird that it's so far away from everything.

Ugh, poor Sarah. And poor Toyota Sienna! But I mainly feel sorry for those white shorts.

But that's the most replaceable item!

Well you know, I read this guy Mark's TRs.....

Well, there's your first mistake.

It's a nice perk. Almost makes up for the tedium

I guess that's why they call it "work".

You're so thoughtful. I'm actually working on an Alaska trip right now for someone. Lots of fun stuff to do!

Someday...

I normally try to be sympathetic and understanding. That day, the only thoughts crossing my mind were of the homicidal variety.

It happens.

Apparently then the plane is too heavy:confused3 So they tell me

Yeah, I understand it but I don't understand it, you know?

Luckily it did clear up on the ride down, and the rest of the day was very pleasant. I actually thought of you then, because we were on the "steepest cogwheel train in the world" and I thought you'd appreciate it

Cool! We actually had a chance to ride a cog train on this trip, but...well, I'll talk about it later.

Dud, my wife was sitting right there! Besides, they all seem to think the baby is far cuter than I am for some reason.

Hey! You said you were walking the aisle. Didn't you go forward or aft?
That's where they all hang out anyway.

And I didn't say you had to date one.
But it's always an ego boost when a cute woman shows you some attention.
(Yeah I know it's the baby getting the attention... Don't rain on my parade! :laughing:)

Yeah, that's pretty much how Murphy's Law works.

::yes::

Hey! You said you were walking the aisle. Didn't you go forward or aft?
That's where they all hang out anyway.

I did, but there's always the few people waiting in line for the bathroom and ignoring the directive not to form lines for the bathroom.:rotfl2:

And I didn't say you had to date one.
But it's always an ego boost when a cute woman shows you some attention.
(Yeah I know it's the baby getting the attention... Don't rain on my parade! :laughing:)

From my experience, they still completely ignore me and just talk to the baby!

We have a tour of Coors Field planned too! I was going to ask you how you liked it, but, ummm.... I guess I won't. Hopefully they let us sit in the dugout for more than 2.6 seconds.

Last edited:
We’d have to go to Plan B. What was Plan B, you ask?

Ok, we’d have to come up with a Plan B.
Mark: I have a plan.

Drew: You've got a plan? Okay, first of all, you're copying me from when I said I had a plan.

Mark: I'm not copying you, I have a plan, that's not that unique of a thing to say.

Drew: And secondly, I don't think you even have a plan.

Mark: I have part of a plan.

Scotty: What percentage of a plan do you have?

Julie: You don't get to ask questions after the nonsense you pulled in Delaware!

Scotty: I just saved Mark!

Mark: We've already established that you destroying the ship I'm on is not saving me!

Scotty: When did we establish that?

Mark: Like three seconds ago!

Scotty: Well I wasn't listening then, I was thinking of something else...

Drew: She's right, you don't get an opinion... What percentage?

Mark: I dunno... Twelve percent?

Drew: Twelve percent?

[starts laughing]

Mark: That's a fake laugh.

Drew: It's real!

Mark: Totally fake!

Drew: That is the most real, authentic, hysterical laugh of my entire life because THAT IS NOT A PLAN!

Julie: It's barely a concept.

Mark: [to Julie] You're taking their side?

Dave: I am Dave.

Drew: So what, "It's better than eleven percent!" What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Mark: [to Dave] Thank you Dave, thank you. See? Dave's the only one of you who has a clue.

**My apologies to Sarah for not giving her a part in the re-enactment, but the source material only had 5 characters.

looking about normal so far :thumbsup2

:rotfl2:

Aww - Come on - it could always be worse. I mean, you really weren't expecting to leave Philadelphia on time, where you???? :faint: Because that really would be a first! And at least baby drew didn't require an emergency transport to the airplane bathroom. I mean, that would have been worse, right?

I do feel bad for Sarah and her destroyed white shorts. Yuck! New shorts stat to the rescue.

Other than the tourist trap I am totally excited to see what Plan B is!!!! :confused3

I'll forgive a lot of things, but don't mess with my hash browns.

That should be carved into the mantle over the hearth back at your house. :thumbsup2

Watch out for I-25.

Duly noted.

It builds character.

The phrase that is basically the great "get out of jail free" card of parenting. :cool2:

Drew: You've got a plan? Okay, first of all, you're copying me from when I said I had a plan.

Mark: I'm not copying you, I have a plan, that's not that unique of a thing to say.

Julie: You don't get to ask questions after the nonsense you pulled in Delaware!

Mark: We've already established that you destroying the ship I'm on is not saving me!

[starts laughing]

Drew: That is the most real, authentic, hysterical laugh of my entire life because THAT IS NOT A PLAN!

Drew: So what, "It's better than eleven percent!" What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Mark: [to Dave] Thank you Dave, thank you. See? Dave's the only one of you who has a clue.

**My apologies to Sarah for not giving her a part in the re-enactment, but the source material only had 5 characters.

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

First, I love your introductions in poem...very nice.

And secondly, glad to see nothing has changed on a Oblivious Family vacation as far as the airport goes. And that really stinks about the delay in take-off, but glad that Drew was entertained for the most part after his short nap.

I'm so glad Julie is chiming in to already correct your mistakes.

Poor Sarah!

We have a tour of Coors Field planned too! I was going to ask you how you liked it, but, ummm.... I guess I won't. Hopefully they let us sit in the dugout for more that 2.6 seconds.

Forget Coors Field, go to Coors Brewery. They give out free beer!

We have a tour of Coors Field planned too! I was going to ask you how you liked it, but, ummm.... I guess I won't. Hopefully they let us sit in the dugout for more than 2.6 seconds.

Yeah, I'm sorry we missed out on it. But I hear you get extended time in the dugout there. At least 2.9 seconds.

[starts laughing]

:worship::worship:

Well done, sir. That's worth +2:thumbsup2 for sure.

Aww - Come on - it could always be worse. I mean, you really weren't expecting to leave Philadelphia on time, where you???? :faint: Because that really would be a first! And at least baby drew didn't require an emergency transport to the airplane bathroom. I mean, that would have been worse, right?

Yes. Yes, it would.

I do feel bad for Sarah and her destroyed white shorts. Yuck! New shorts stat to the rescue.

What made it worse was that we were planning on wearing some shorts twice in order to reduce the amount of baggage we had, and I think those were on the list!

Other than the tourist trap I am totally excited to see what Plan B is!!!!

How can you not be excited about a tourist trap? Boy, I thought I knew my audience here.

Sorry, just catching up with this news. Congrats, that's awesome!

Thanks! We're looking forward to it. I made 5 ADR's. Care to guess what they are? 4 of them are places we've never tried before.

That's good advice, right there.

From what I understand, it will be scientifically impossible.

Okay, another Oblivious trip is underway. Sorry to hear that you're a little late for the Coors Field tour.

We knew it was a possibility. So we had that going for us, which was nice.

That should be carved into the mantle over the hearth back at your house.

Mmmm...hash browns...

Duly noted.

The phrase that is basically the great "get out of jail free" card of parenting.

That, and "Do as I say, not as I do!"

First, I love your introductions in poem...very nice.

Thanks!:goodvibes

And secondly, glad to see nothing has changed on a Oblivious Family vacation as far as the airport goes. And that really stinks about the delay in take-off, but glad that Drew was entertained for the most part after his short nap.

It's a long stretch to go four hours with a toddler squirming on your lap, but it could have been much worse.

I'm so glad Julie is chiming in to already correct your mistakes.

That makes one of us.:sad2:

Poor Sarah!

:drinking1

Yeah, you have started the report! What's a family adventure without a few mishaps along the way?

:welcome: It makes for a good story, right?

Forget Coors Field, go to Coors Brewery. They give out free beer!

If it's free, it's for me!
:scratchinHmmm...Ryder does like free beer.:idea::drinking1

I wish I'd known that before he cleaned out my fridge.

Not particularly good beer...
but free none the less.

Nobody gives the good stuff away for free, right?

The very model of a proper dad...
Always thinking about the kids first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter