• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Road Trippin', Cruisin' and Photo Bombin'-Our EPIC Family Vacation!NEW11/5-BIRDS..UGH

Wow, what a long, amazing day! Now that's what a cruise should look like!!! :cool1: :banana:
Your family really knows how to focus on the positives and get the most out of your day. I could see a lot of people complaining about a day where they suffered through a panic attack, got lost, walked in the heat all day, and didn't get to eat at the restaurant they were planning on. :thumbsup2

Oh, and I had to add, I love the photo of your youngest (Jonah, right? :blush:) sitting on the cannon! That's awesome!

What a full, fun day you all had exploring! :thumbsup2 We're a lot like you--we prefer things off the beaten path. I'm not a big fan of "touristy" things. I'd rather be immersed in the real culture.

Too bad that restaurant wasn't open, but sounds like you had a wonderful lunch anyway. :goodvibes

And a gorgeous sunset to finish it off. I love taking the time to check out sunrises and sunsets. They're amazing!

It was so cool to share this city with my boys the way that Jeff and I had enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

Awesome pics! :goodvibes

Thank you!

Wow, what a long, amazing day! Now that's what a cruise should look like!!! :cool1: :banana:
Your family really knows how to focus on the positives and get the most out of your day. I could see a lot of people complaining about a day where they suffered through a panic attack, got lost, walked in the heat all day, and didn't get to eat at the restaurant they were planning on. :thumbsup2

Oh, and I had to add, I love the photo of your youngest (Jonah, right? :blush:) sitting on the cannon! That's awesome!

LOL! I never thought of it that way, but you are so right! I thought it was a nearly perfect day, but I'm sure there are those who would have found lots of negatives! Glad I don't choose to live my life that way! :goodvibes

Yep, Jonah. I like that pic too...thank you!

It had been a nearly perfect day in Nassau, but I was SO excited for what we had in store next! PRIVATE ISLAND DAY! Originally, we had a stop in Freeport, but it had been changed at the last minute to a private island stop on Little Stirrup Cay. Funny story….when we cruised last time, Jeff and I had cruised Royal Caribbean and we stopped at their private island called CoCo Cay. It was the best day of the trip! When we decided to book this cruise, the Carnival prices were so much more affordable, the only drawback being that the cruise did not include a private island day. We were sad, but figured we’d find some beachy thing to do in Freeport and we’d make the best of it! At the end of February, we got the email that the port stop had been changed. In doing research on Little Stirrup Cay, we discovered it was, in fact, the SAME island! Carnival and Royal Caribbean had agreed on a lease deal of some sort and Carnival ships were now stopping there! So, not only did we get our private island day….we got it at the very same island we loved so much!

The perfect weather continued and we awoke around 8 am to beautiful sunny skies. Well, some of us woke up….others preferred to remain asleep!

We wanted to get on an early tender boat to the island so we decided to eat our breakfast at the buffet this day. We told the sleepyhead boys to meet us there when they were ready! Breakfast was very good…better than I had expected and we enjoyed being out on deck on the beautiful morning. Because we normally ate in the dining room for breakfast, we had never been up to the pool deck at this time of day. I don’t know if this was a regular occurrence or just for this day, but this is what we found on deck.

Every single deck chair had a towel animal! So cute! I don’t know when the towel animal fairy visited as the party was going into the wee hours …. But I’m glad we saw them!

Before we headed to the lower deck to sign up for a tender boat to the island, I took this picture of our destination. Little Stirrup Cay, here we come!

The protocol for getting to the island was to gather in the theater and get a sticker for a tender boat. We all made sure we were packed up for the day with sunscreen, towels, books to read on the beach, etc and we joined the other passengers waiting for a boat. It was about 9am. We only waited a few minutes, but here are Jeff and Jonah anxiously awaiting our number to be called.

I don’t really love the smaller tender boats. You feel every wave! Thankfully, they are open so the air circulates and, since it is a short trip, I usually manage not to lose my breakfast over the side. But, you can really get a feel for the size of the ship when you are docked in a tiny boat right next to it. See what I mean?

After a beautiful, but slightly choppy, 15 minute ride we arrived at beautiful CoCo Cay….I mean, Little Stirrup Cay! It was so funny because Carnival did their best to cover all of the CoCo Cay signs with Little Stirrup Cay signs….that just cracked me up!

Our first order of business was to hit the snorkel shack to pick up our snorkel gear. We had rented equipment for the day and I was so excited to snorkel with the boys. But first, we stopped for a photo op or two!

After signing our waivers, we proceeded to the side of the shack to collect our gear. Isaiah was last and he told the lady he wore a size 13 shoe. She laughed and headed to the VERY LAST BIN of flippers to get a pair for Isaiah. We couldn’t help but crack up…the flippers were as large as a small child! LOL! I’m not sure if this picture even give the right perspective, but those suckers were HUGE!

With our gear in hand, we searched out a good spot to settle in for the day. We found 5 chairs in a nice spot by a tree and unloaded! I love that no matter how big Isaiah gets, you just can’t take the kid out of him. Here he is playing in the sand while we wait to settle in.

Once we were all outfitted in our snorkel gear, we all hit the water excited to explore. We did listen to a short tutorial first about how to clear the snorkel of water, how the reef was set up, how to use the vest, etc. Then we were off! The water was very choppy and so it was very murky closer to the shore. We all practiced with the snorkel a bit, then the older boys headed out while I stayed with Jonah while he swam out. He was a little more tentative and I didn’t want him to be scared. I made sure I had eyes on him the whole time. We did have underwater cameras…which I have yet to get developed…so when I do I will post pics. But we saw a lot of colorful fish and even a starfish or two. We spent about an hour or so in the water before heading in. I think Dan had gone in a bit earlier. Of all my boys, he enjoys the water the least. He is not really a big fan, but I’m so glad he tried it and got to experience snorkeling with us.

Since we had the gear for the day, we stashed it with our stuff and decided to take a little walking tour of the island. There are several different areas and we wanted to check it all out. The island is not all beach and there are several areas that are almost wooded, with pine trees and lots of brush. It’s just gorgeous! Here is a photo tour of our walking tour!

Vacation feet! Covered in sand and lounging in a hammock…it doesn’t get much better!

Of course, Isaiah uses the time to snooze a bit!

During our walk, Dan had decided to join a beach volleyball tournament. We didn’t want to kill his mojo so we kind of stalked him a bit to get a picture. This was just during practice time. His team (just people he joined up with at the time) ended up coming in 2nd. Not bad!

We also took a few minutes to browse through the little shopping area that some locals set up on the island. I needed to get some sunscreen for my lips as I had forgotten mine. Well, I am a total cheapskate and refused to pay the $5 for one tube of chapstick that they were asking. Out of principal of course! LOL……I totally paid the price for my stubbornness. My lips were so sunburned and they were sore and swollen and cracking and peeling for the rest of the trip. UGH! Isaiah never failed to remind me of my silliness…..”You really showed them, Mom!” Thanks Isaiah!

By now it was about 12:30 and the Island barbecue was calling our names! We found our way to the food and filled up! Unfortunately, we had company. As anyone who has read my reports before knows, I hate birds! Just NOT a FAN! There were birds all over this place and the kids at the picnic tables kept feeding them! UGH!

The food was good though. Standard fare…burgers, chicken ( and not the ones that I kept shooing away!), salads, fruit, chips, cookies. Jonah gave it a thumbs up!

After our lunch I was ready for some lounging on the beach! I think Jeff and Jonah hung out for a bit then went to see how Dan was doing in the tournament. I also remember getting a very delicious Mango Margarita while I enjoyed the island sun! Isaiah, of course, napped!

I’ll stop here as I have 25 pics and can’t put any more in this post. Next up we will finish up our private island day and have our last dinner on the ship. So sad to say goodbye…..but that just means we are closer to the DISNEY part of this trip! YAY!

Interesting that Carnival and Royal caribbean are sharing a private island. I doubt Disney would ever do that with Castaway Cay, but then again it's kind of crazy just for them to schedule their own ships there especially when they have all four of them on the east coast.

I am really enjoying your trip report! Your son Isaiah sounds a lot like my sister...she can kinda just sleep anywhere. I used to tease her as a kid...it seemed so unfair how she could sleep an entire car trip, and I had to entertain myself for hours because I couldn't sleep. Oh well, at least they are well rested, right?? Love the private island! It looks beautiful!

....I don’t know if this was a regular occurrence or just for this day, but this is what we found on deck.

Every single deck chair had a towel animal!

Aha, I see Disney does not have a monopoly on towel animals!

Funny that the two cruise lines share the same island... funnier still that they each have their own name!

Inching closer to DISNEY! :snail:

Kathy

Wow, another beautiful day. The weather turned around just in time! Those little boats are scary tiny next to the ship! Yikes!!
I feel your pain with the chapstick fiasco. My husband and daughter thrive on chapstick and I can't tell you how many times I've had to pay top dollar for a tube in zoos, the airport, etc. It pains me to pay those prices, but I'll remember your lesson from this trip and stop whining about it. Better a $5 chapstick than utter misery. :(
Can't wait to hear more about your beach day.

I'm catching up here.... sorry about the panic attack that consumed your DH. I'm glad that it passed and you had a nice tour of Paradise Island. The photos with the boys and the old cannon are great!

Those towel animals on the loungers by the pool were awesome!! :)

A day on a tropical island - how great is that! Love the hammock photos.

So glad you had more beautiful weather! The towel animals on the beach chairs was really cool. :thumbsup2 And how wonderful that you all went snorkeling--fun! :goodvibes

Ahh, I am still jonesin for a cruise... :)

Beautiful pics and love the towels all over the chairs!

Hey Missy! Just got caught up and there's a lot that I wanted to comment on but I have forgotten almost all of it. Call it the post-Disney blues, I guess. :rotfl: How neat that each and every deck chair had a towel animal lounging in it! Cool!

I love it that you got to see your beloved island again even if they had renamed it. ;) Isiah and Hunter are so much alike. They are young men but you can still see the little boy coming out in them sometimes.

It looks like the island day is going well....wait, I forgot something....I know that you hated having to eat with all those birds running around. You and birds do NOT mix!

After a beautiful, but slightly choppy, 15 minute ride we arrived at beautiful CoCo Cay….I mean, Little Stirrup Cay! It was so funny because Carnival did their best to cover all of the CoCo Cay signs with Little Stirrup Cay signs….that just cracked me up!

:lmao: Apparently they forgot to cover up the Coco Cay logo on this sign behind Jonah!

The island (whatever it's name is) sounds amazing! :thumbsup2

What a fun day in Nassau! I really enjoyed your walking tour! Oh and those sunset pictures were amazing!!

Beautiful pictures around the island! It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time! Glad everyone tried snorkeling!:goodvibes

Back from our trip and all caught up. Your nassau day looks amazing. You got some really great pictures and so much nicer than going the touristy route. I am also impressed with your bargaining. I am with the rest of your family. I prefer a price tag so I usually avoid the shops when we cruise.

Loving the Private Island stop so far. That has always been my favorite part of a cruise. Sorry you had the birds at lunch. That would not have been fun as they look huge!

Just a little life update! Dan graduates on Saturday and things have been really crazy here! :crazy2: With school ending for the other two boys and all that brings...exams, trips, etc...and planning Dan's grad party, I have not been able to get an update posted. I have family coming into town this weekend for the festivities and we are having a big party to celebrate on Sunday. I am doing most of the cooking, so I'll be a busy girl this week. I have a scrapbook to finish, decorations to finalize, meatballs and chicken to cook, shopping to do....the list goes on!

Please bear with me. :goodvibes I promise I will be on to update next week after the craziness subsides a bit. I will post pics of the new High School graduate as well!

A big ol' CONGRATULATIONS! to Dan! I know that you've got all of the party plans worked all to a T. Have fun and tell Dan that I said congratulations. We'll be here when you get the time to update.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter