• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rivers of Light by the end of October?!?

I hope AK doesn't become Epcot 2.0.. I'm okay with the drinks and food, in fact I welcome it, but Disney cannot be all about that as they need things to differentiate each park.
Well considering Epcot is becoming MK 2.0...

to be fair, AK has quite the drink and snack selections now - lots of good beers and mixed drinks and dole whip with rum, etc. ... I found that really added to the atmosphere of AK at night - grab a drink watch a dj or another musical act, etc.

The evening musical acts that have been added are really excellent. The different areas of the park all have different types of live music, too.

11pm is a bold guess... Epcot hardly closes past 9pm and it has the food/drink/merchandise to keep people around, AK does not. I'd be surprised to see AK open past 9pm most nights this fall/winter except for the busy 2 week Holiday period.

to be fair, AK has quite the drink and snack selections now - lots of good beers and mixed drinks and dole whip with rum, etc. ... I found that really added to the atmosphere of AK at night - grab a drink watch a dj or another musical act, etc.

People also go to epcot specifically to drink around the world all day. It's not really the same indulgence during ak when the sun is beating you down and nowhere to cool off.

Closing is going to depend on time of year, it's not too many more weeks until it'll be 5:30-6pm sunset so shows will get earlier and they don't need to stay opened as late as they do for darkness in summer. I also don't see ROL to be enough to draw peopel to want to be around until 11. When it comes down to it, there isn't that much to do at AK at night so see the tree, see the show, ride the couple rides and you've run out of things.

I also don't see ROL to be enough to draw peopel to want to be around until 11. When it comes down to it, there isn't that much to do at AK at night so see the tree, see the show, ride the couple rides and you've run out of things.

yes- until Pandora comes on-line, I don't see them ever scheduling more than 3 hours after dark in this park, and probably during slower seasons only about 2 hours. Once Pandora comes on-line you might see slightly longer evening hours, but you are still likely talking about 8-9 PM at the latest much of the year - and maybe 10-11 PM during peak times / summer.

I was figuring 8pm for early December and maybe later for the Christmas crowds. 9-10pm would be awesome.
I would be thrilled with 8. because sunset is so early in december (5:30) I am afraid they'd keep it at 7 :P

I will say that they just extended AK November hours to 7pm closings for some weeks. Didn't look at all of them.......

actually looks like the park will be open until 8:30 the first week of November when I'm there for Wine & Dine.

I'm hoping the change from 6pm to 7pm was strictly for the night time hours and they will change that to 8pm when ROL officially opens.
I hope so too. with nighttime entertainment so early at DS and parties happening half the time at MK the nighttime stuff is very limited otherwise.

I hope so too. with nighttime entertainment so early at DS and parties happening half the time at MK the nighttime stuff is very limited otherwise.

They want you to go to Disney Springs and spend money!

We will @ AK this day too! Through Oct, hoping it may debut in time.

Wow, we will be there the same day also.

Really hoping ROL is running. With MK losing MSEP on Oct. 9th and nothing planned to replace we hope that is a good sign that Disney plans on having it running to give guest another night time show.

Wow, we will be there the same day also.

Really hoping ROL is running. With MK losing MSEP on Oct. 9th and nothing planned to replace we hope that is a good sign that Disney plans on having it running to give guest another night time show.
I would think the main problem with Rivers of Light will be capacity. Don't see how it can absorb all the people who watch the Electric Parade if it is meant as a replacement for night time entertainment.

I would think the main problem with Rivers of Light will be capacity. Don't see how it can absorb all the people who watch the Electric Parade if it is meant as a replacement for night time entertainment.

It won't be a complete replacement. People aren't suddenly going to say "Oh, I was going to MK today, but instead I'm going to AK for the day." Sure, you'll get a few hop over for the show, but not the whole MSEP crowd - 'cause most of them will still want to see wishes.

That said, I do agree there could be an crowd issue, especially if the show is, you know, actually good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter