• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have heard about bacteria closing RC and the reason for no swimming in Bay Lake. I have to dispute this through mere logic however. The simple fact is that there is swimming allowed in Bay Lake. During Iron Man and similar competitions for example. Also when you do Sammy's Parasailing you get wet with lake water. If it was so dangerous would they risk people swimming in these events?

This is because they are swimming in deep water at the surface and are relatively safe. The protozoa live in the sediment at the bottom and when it gets unsettled (such as in shallow water by human feet) is when they become active. When people go underwater and don't plug their nose when the sediment has been unsettled, this allows a pathway for the protozoa to enter the body via the nose. Unfortunately, RC met about 3/4 of this criteria as the lake-water section had a natural sandy bottom.

You know what gets me more than anything? The plaque that recognized someone for some thing that they did, and it was just laying there in a heap of garbage....................:guilty::sad2:

Disney's good at saying, If you pay us cash and sign this waiver from your death... then you can do whatever you want. But at the same time, isn't there an age limit on the Sammy sports?? Little kids are more likely to be affected by the bacteria than an adult that's active enough to do those sports.

Who knows what will happen. Disney found a way around the tree house protected land thing... maybe that's the case with River County/Discovery Island.

I wish I could've done that, but I hang around a bunch of chickens that aren't that willing to break rules.

Hey OK I swear when I saw that live pic of yours that you were my big sister and the boy jumping in was my little brother. I only have video of the old river country. Maybe some pics I will have to look. Thanks for the picture. L&G's Dad.

OH HOW SAD :guilty:

I have seen a few pictures of RC before.. But these show me just how bad it really is.

I made one trip there. May 1987 on my Disneymoon. Sadly NOT A PICTURE did I take. My 35mm had died on my first day at Disney..:headache: which was also my first trip to Disneyworld:lovestruc. I guess I just thought I'd take pictures another time. By the time we went again... it was just too cold... then it closed before we ever got back with our kids.

If I thought I could get away with walking around there( and not getting Gator bit
778_alligator_eating_a_teasing_smil.gif
)I can't even imagine myself on ANY of the slides to look at it now.. but I was on most of them.

Thanks for sharing.

This is because they are swimming in deep water at the surface and are relatively safe. The protozoa live in the sediment at the bottom and when it gets unsettled (such as in shallow water by human feet) is when they become active. When people go underwater and don't plug their nose when the sediment has been unsettled, this allows a pathway for the protozoa to enter the body via the nose. Unfortunately, RC met about 3/4 of this criteria as the lake-water section had a natural sandy bottom.

Trust me 500 people running into and out of the lake in any given triathlon will stir up quite a bit of ick. Trust me- you swallow quite a bit of water and that 2.5 mile swim can take quite a bit of time! I wonder if any triathletes get sick? Hmm...:confused3

Trust me 500 people running into and out of the lake in any given triathlon will stir up quite a bit of ick. Trust me- you swallow quite a bit of water and that 2.5 mile swim can take quite a bit of time! I wonder if any triathletes get sick? Hmm...:confused3

Don't the triathlons take place in the winter? The issue with the water only occurs when the water is warm - so in the winter there is pretty much no risk at all (other than hypothermia). That's another reason why shallow water is primarily all that is affected - it has a warmer temperature than the deep water.

Thank-you TCD, for someone who never got the chance to go to RC I appreciate seeing these pics! I wish I could have made at least one trip ! :(

Seems someone has beaten you guys to the punch in regards to Discovery Island.

;)

The link is work safe, but some of the other pages on the site do contain artistic nudity if that sort of thing offends anyone:

shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

You'll have to cut and paste as my post count is not high enough to link this...

Seems someone has beaten you guys to the punch in regards to Discovery Island.

;)

The link is work safe, but some of the other pages on the site do contain artistic nudity if that sort of thing offends anyone:

shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

You'll have to cut and paste as my post count is not high enough to link this...

Thanks for the link. That guy is quite the explorer!! Such a covert night mission makes taking lots of photos difficult. It would be quite risky to make that trip in the daylight, but I would sure love to see lots more pictures!!

Don't the triathlons take place in the winter? The issue with the water only occurs when the water is warm - so in the winter there is pretty much no risk at all (other than hypothermia). That's another reason why shallow water is primarily all that is affected - it has a warmer temperature than the deep water.

May and September- I would label those months as 'spring' and 'fall'? The race starts and finishes on the beach @ Ft. Wilderness. BUT they do NOT allow anyone to have any 'practice swims' prior to race day. I would expect that is because all of the boat traffic and the need to lifeguard the area. :confused3

And hypothermia is not an issue- the lake is over 78 degrees, under 75 degrees water is 'wetsuit legal' in most USAT races.

Some race days have been cold, others warmer. But they have the option of the wet suit. And if you're not from florida, they're probably used to the colder lake temps. I remember swimming in a river in NJ, in the middle of summer and the lake temp was like 70 degrees.

i already posted this on another disboard, but i thought you all would appreciate it as well...

this picture is of DS during one of our many visits to River Country, which continued to be our favorite of the Disney waterparks right up to its closing....

we all miss the ole swimming hole.....so much fun!

by the way, DS is now married, so it gives you an idea of how long ago this was..

137.jpg

Wow. Like others have said, this is simultaneously really interesting and spooky. I've never been to River Country; I would have loved to see it back in the day. I used to have a Disney Sing-Along that was called "Campout at Walt Disney World" and River Country and Discovery Island were both featured in it. I may have to go to the library and find that video to compare the now and then....

i already posted this on another disboard, but i thought you all would appreciate it as well...

this picture is of DS during one of our many visits to River Country, which continued to be our favorite of the Disney waterparks right up to its closing....

we all miss the ole swimming hole.....so much fun!

by the way, DS is now married, so it gives you an idea of how long ago this was..

137.jpg

Thats a great picture....
And makes the place look like it was a lot of fun.

Older photos are interesting to look at and see the changes....
In your photo seems all the boys swim trunks are loose fit and one solid color..would not be the same today....I just find those little things interesting

Would have to look back but i bet there are almost all one piece bathing suits as well.

wow, these are amazing! congrats on the covert exploring! :) I was freaked out enough when my friend and I snuck into the Pop Classic years construction site a few years back!

Thanks for sharing the GREAT pic, disneyholic family!

You know, I think what I'm coming to love best about this thread is that it's sparked people to share their past experiences and photos from RC. I never made it there as a kid, but always wanted to and love seeing what it was like in the day.

I never had the chance to visit River Country but DH has found childhood memories. Can anyone explain to me exactly where it was located? DH said he remembers it being on an island in Bay Lake but after seeing these pix, I don't know any of the islands are big enough.

Thanks for the help!

It was actually located within the Fort Wilderness resort (not on an island). If you're looking at FW from the water, you'll see some walkways/docks off to the right covered in moss - that's the area. Or if you're at FW, follow the walkway to the right of Crockett's Tavern. If you keep walking past where the beach ends, you'll come to what used to be the entrance of RC.

I never had the chance to visit River Country but DH has found childhood memories. Can anyone explain to me exactly where it was located? DH said he remembers it being on an island in Bay Lake but after seeing these pix, I don't know any of the islands are big enough.

Thanks for the help!

Here is a map. It just to the left of the Hoop De Doo Revue label

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=river...0313,-81.56589&spn=0.012532,0.022724&t=h&z=16

Your husband may be thinking about Discovery Island (also on this map) which is another closed attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter