Riding in the Front Cab of the Monorail with the Pilot Again!

They are doing this for the same reason that any other corporation would do it - because the lawyers told them to do it. Not everything about WDW is magical. They have to operate in the real world.

Fortunately, me and my family have had the pleasure of many rides in the front. It is too bad that this has come to an end. But it will not impact my future trips to WDW in any way... :goodvibes

BTW - the thread title is a teaser and should be changed. I opened the thread thinking that the policy had been changed...

They are doing this for the same reason that any other corporation would do it - because the lawyers told them to do it. Not everything about WDW is magical. They have to operate in the real world.

Fortunately, me and my family have had the pleasure of many rides in the front. It is too bad that this has come to an end. But it will not impact my future trips to WDW in any way... :goodvibes

BTW - the thread title is a teaser and should be changed. I opened the thread thinking that the policy had been changed...

:scratchin I'm beginning to wonder if maybe that was the point.:rolleyes1

I think you are missing the point. The accident happened, and it can't un-happen. Guests in the cab were not a factor. Why should all the future enjoyment of the masses be eliminated out of fear that something MIGHT happen?

Should they close the Indiana Jones show forever because a CM was killed performing it? Should they stop the Pirate Tutorial because a CM hit his head on the wall, and later died? Accidents can, and will, happen, but we can't stop living our lives because of it.

Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of positive experiences have been had by young children riding with the pilot, and I'd say that the loss of one life in the process is, while very sad and tragic, minimal.

The monorail cabs should be re-opened to the public.

Respectfully, I do not believe I am missing the point--we just disagree. And I think that Disney's decision to not allow guests up front has a lot to do with what previous posters mentioned--the insensitivity of some guests in peppering the drivers with questions. Let's not forget, they lost a co-worker and friend that night. I'm sure the wound is still fresh to them.

There are so many wonderful things to enjoy at Disney World, and it's important that Disney be considerate of the monorail cast members in the loss of their friend.

The greatest tragedy that could come from the horrible accident would be if passengers were not ever allowed to ride in the cabs again.

WOW....really? No, the greatest tragedy that DID come from this accident is that a young man with a full life ahead of him died. A greater tragedy that COULD HAVE happened would be if he had a little co-pilot in the cab with him.

So, guests can't ride up front any more. Not the end of the world, truly. Certainly NOT a tragedy. Not even close. We have never been up front, and it has not ever taken the magic away from any of our vacations.

I'm sorry, but this has to be the most insensitive thread I have seen in a long time. Calling the loss of a fine young man minimal? Stating that the greatest tragedy is guests not being able to ride up front? Sorry, no sympathy from me.

It is exactly this attitude that keeps it from happening. I take it you (OP) have never been a CM for Disney. We are a very tight knit bunch and stuff like this hits us hard. I have friends who still work there and it really is a sensitive and very painful subject. And so many guests just don't think before they open their mouths.

Let me draw a parallel for you: In 2004, as many know, Javier Cruz was killed by a parade float during the step off for the Share A Dream Come True Parade. I was working in attractions at the time and part of job was parade audience control. I heard lots of questions- many insensitive ones- about that incident. The next year I was trained in that very parade. I remember sitting in MK on one of my days off to watch the parade so that I could study the other performers and also to watch my friends who were in it. This was more than a year later. A young girl sitting next to me started going on and on about how her friend saw Pluto killed.

This hurt on a lot of levels and I did not even have the pleasure of knowing Javier. She had no way of knowing that I was a CM as I was there as a guest. She also had no way of knowing that I perform in that parade and had very intimate knowledge of the incident. To hear somebody throwing that information out there to make themselves look cool was hard. To know that some girl she knew was talking about seeing Pluto killed just to make herself sound cool was hard. Particularly because it was such a dishonor to his memory. Javier was a fine performer and from what my friends who knew him have told me, was very dedicated to his craft. Had he been on stage he would not have been anywhere near the float. To know that people go around and claim that is they saw it is nauseating. You can't imagine the pain that his friends feel to this day. You can't imagine how much they still mourn him and the very deep impact it had for all involved. Including the driver and performers on the float in question. Thank God it was not one of them she was talking to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This same situation is happening with the monorails. In this case, the pain is still very fresh and the fall out from the incident is still going on. Most of the pilots would have known Austin and were probably his friends. Now imagine spending an entire cab ride with a guest like the girl I mentioned above- one who insists on talking about the accident and claims all kind of (wrong) knowledge to make themselves look cool. It's bad enough some of the comments my friends have had when they are on the platform. There is no reason to subject them to that during an entire ride on the Monorail multiple times a day.

One day, Disney may indeed allow it to happen again (just as one day we eventually got that float back), but only after the incident has faded from the collective memory of the guests and the pain is no longer so fresh for the drivers.

Eeyores Butterfly... Thank you. I could not have explained that better myself. As you know and few others here truly can understand, when you are in a unique profession, when this happens it is a unique experience with a unique pain that no one who was not there that day, or closely associated with it, either in the past or future, is able to understand.

What I would like to do is expound on your explanation by adding some experiences of my own.

Below are some exchanges I've had personally.

Guest: Can we ride in the front?

Me: I'm sorry, that's an experience we can no longer offer.

Guest: Geez, you guys kill one kid, and ruin it for all of us.

Me: Friend.

Guest: Excuse me?

Me: Friend. He was my friend.

Guest: You don't need to talk like that.

Me: And you don't need to accuse me of killing my friend. Move on down.

Guest: Well, it's true! You killed that kid.

Me: Friend.

Guest: Why are you making such a big deal of this?

Me: I am not, I would rather not talk about this. But since you are so insistent, I am just correcting you. He was not some kid. He was my friend. Please. Move down. Now.

Guest: Hey, have you ever been in a Monorail Crash?

Me: ... (looking somewhere else, walking off)

Guest: Hey, how much would I need to pay you to crash another two Monorails?

Guest: Kill anyone lately?

Me: ... (not acknowledging the question)

Guest: I said, have you killed anyone lately?

Me (slowly looking at him): That's not funny.

Guest: You need to be more careful in your driving.

Mom and daughter are walking by me as they board the train:

Mom (Excitedly): What are you afraid of, honey? What are you afraid of?

Daughter (almost singing it): Monorail Crash!

These are just a few of the things I've heard personally. Three of them are from this week.

I have a towel that is very absorbent. On hot days, I used to use it in the front cab... I would take it to a drinking fountain, and while I was waiting in the afternoon to leave the Epcot Monorail station, I would fill up the towel and take it with me as I got in the cab. I would tell the kids to watch out, because it seemed that there was a leak in the front cab, which would get them wondering what they meant. I would watch the parents for any clue that they might not want me dousing their kids... Of course, princesses that were made up at Bippity Boppity Boutique, or kids dressed up were never targeted... As soon as I had the parents in on the act, I would wring the towel out all over the kids, and never had anyone complain, they all loved it. It made for a completely unique experience, because how many other pilots would have done that?

I used to get on the Public Address system and make the Monorail ride its own Jungle Cruise at times.

On July 4, 2009 I was one of the happiest people on the platform. I would go out of my way to make people smile. I had commendation after commendation because of the way I would go above and beyond. I have been told numerous times I needed to go into Guest Relations, because I like making people happy.

My favorite memory is in a back cab on July 4, 2009. It's not something we did often, but I had a Make A Wish child that needed that extra touch. His mom was no longer in the picture, and not by her choice... I believe it was cancer that took her, if I remember right. Their night had not gone well due to certain circumstances, so I wanted to give them an experience they would never forget.

For 20 minutes, we had a wonderful time in the back cab of that train. I have a camera that would be an upgrade for Photopass, and I used to carry it with me. I took several pictures of them just enjoying their time together and of the child sitting in the driver seat, looking like he was driving the train. I then printed and sent those pictures to them, at my cost.

I had gone about getting special permission to do this, and it took a lot of work to make it happen. I had to get clearance from a couple different levels of management, because of what the policies were... but I was willing to do what it took to make that magic.

I tell these stories to show you what kind of person and Cast Member I was on July 4, 2009. I loved pushing the envelope of Guest Service. I still do, but not in the same ways.

On July 5, 2009, I became a completely different person. When I am on the platform, I am in protective mode, because that next person could say something completely terrible. I do not joke around the way I used to, because I have found that that provokes comments... they see a Pilot with a sense of humor and go for the jugular.

I moved across the country to be a Walt Disney World Cast Member, and for part of that time to drive these trains and to make the kind of magic that happened in the front cabs. No one misses it more than I do. You may miss it as much, but no one misses it more than I do.

I still love the Monorails. I still love working with my coworkers. Monorails has, bar none, the best management team that Disney has ever put together... the only way to make it better would be to add back the three most recent Managers to get moved around to other areas.

The only aspect of being a Monorail Pilot that I don't like, and that I even hate, is what I hear from guests about the events of 5, July 2009. You would be amazed at how many people have the non-visible disability of not having a heart.

Take my experiences from the stories I told you above. I promise, they are all true. Now, let's change one aspect of all these stories, let's change the location. The location of each story is now the front cab of a Monorail. How would you expect the Pilot to react?

If they got in with me, and as soon as the train starts moving the questions start, the train may never make it to the next station without being towed there. I know exactly what would happen. I would not answer their questions, so they would become more boisterous and louder and more insistent. I would inform them we were not having this conversation, and they just continue. Finally, I have to stop the train because I cannot safely drive the train with tears in my eyes as they make fun of one of the worst days of my life. And that's assuming they do it with me, as I am known for keeping my emotions in check with these kinds of people. How would you like to be aboard my train that has nothing wrong with it but has to be towed from just outside Epcot to TTC, simply because someone started hounding me and literally drove me into a catatonic state? What if you were put into the situation with a pilot who gets pushed off the deep end, and, God forbid, goes postal? I can't tell you how many times I have had to go backstage immediately after one of these guests just to get away from guests and recover.

When people ask about the incident, I will politely inform them that I am not going to discuss that for a multitude of reasons. When people joke about it and push, it can set my recovery back by weeks and months. And I was certainly not the closest person to Austin out of all of the Monorail Pilots. Still, he was a friend.

When people come to the parks, they often forget that we as Cast Members are people, too, with our emotions and needs. This is good, because I don't want them to be actively concerned for me... that is most certainly not why I am here. But there are things that they don't need to talk about in front of me, or try to talk to me about.

Someone made a reference to Disney not stopping Indiana Jones due to their tragedy or Pirate Tutorial. I would like to believe that because there is a certain character being portrayed and not enough time in Pirate Tutorial and the parades that maybe they are insulated from the comments, and because the Cast of Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular are usually far enough from the audience, people would not normally be tempted to make awful comments. But with Monorail Pilots, we are stuck on a platform with them for at least a couple minutes, and they know that. I've had a guy follow me from one end of the platform to the other as I worked to get away. Those of you in Entertainment, I hope I am not wrong and that you have that one small blessing in these kinds of occurrences.

As much as I miss having guests up front, and as much as I hate not having them up there... as lonely as it gets up in that cab, especially coming back from Epcot and seeing the place on the beam where it happened... at this time I fully support the decision to not allow guests back in the cabs at this time.

My advice? Don't think about the front cabs for now, because I don't think the front cab rides are coming back for a long time, if ever. Enjoy your vacation here, enjoy us... and please, respect and avoid the one or two things that we pray that you don't try to discuss with us.

If enough time goes by without anyone coming up and making comments, it is possible that there may be a turn toward bringing you back into the cabs.

My views and emotions on this issue are very raw and they are my own. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the Walt Disney Company, or any other involved entity.

WOW....really? No, the greatest tragedy that DID come from this accident is that a young man with a full life ahead of him died. A greater tragedy that COULD HAVE happened would be if he had a little co-pilot in the cab with him.

So, guests can't ride up front any more. Not the end of the world, truly. Certainly NOT a tragedy. Not even close. We have never been up front, and it has not ever taken the magic away from any of our vacations.
:thumbsup2

I think you are missing the point. The accident happened, and it can't un-happen. Guests in the cab were not a factor. Why should all the future enjoyment of the masses be eliminated out of fear that something MIGHT happen?

Honestly, I believe YOU are missing the point. Safetly is not the reason (or at least not the only reason) that guests are no longer allowed up front 9if this were the case they would not be allowed in front at DL either). Guests are not allowed up front because Disney is respecting their employees, those employees who all suffered a terrible blow that night, and trying to shield them somewhat from insensitive comments from guests such as yourself.

Austin would have wanted it this way.

I do not think anyone other than close friends or family of Austin is in any kind of position to say what he might have wanted. Perhaps he would have wanted his friends/co workers to be given the respect of not having to be trappe alone in a small space with people making hurtful comments day in and day out.

To the PP above me, I am so very sorry you have to contend with such hurtful words and actions every daya nd have lost so much of the joy in your profession:hug: Thank you for being there to get us all safely to where we need to go and making it fun in the process when you have the heart to do so.

Our family enjoyed riding up front with the pilots. We are a bit dissapointed that we no longer have that option. However, we fully understand and do not in any wya consider this policy a tragedy. For me the tragedy of the situation is the loss of Austin's life. The ongoing frustration and sadness is that so many people are rude/insensitive and downright cruel about this issue to those who lost a friend. The actual fact of not being able to ride up front is just a blip on the radar no more disspointing or inconvieneint, in and of itself, than the ice cream cart being out of the one I want.

I agree with the cm's here. There is plenty of other special touches at WDW. Keep people out of the front of the monorail. Let's honor the memory also of the cm that died.

How would you feel if there had been a family killed because they need to ride in the front of the monorail?

I think this is the right thing to do. Sure, it will be disappointing to some in the short term, but like a PP said, those who have never ridden up front won't know what they're missing. I have been to WDW many, many times and have never ridden up front on the monorail. Yet it has not been a tragedy in my life at all.

The OP comes off rather insensitive to the CMs in my opinion.

Amonorailpilot,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your emotions on this. The only reason I opened this thread was because I am here at the World now, and asked yesterday to ride up front and was politely told by a very kind older gentleman at the Epcot station that WDW was no longer doing that. I looked at my 6 year old son and said "That's OK buddy, be happy you got to do it last year. It's still the monorail, c'mon let's go!"

My son wasn't hurt emotionally and I didn't feel the joy get sucked out of him like some here suggest. I am truly glad that we had the experience, but out of all of the experiences we have had the past few days, that would not have been at the top of our list.

Please let me apologize for the insensitivity of guests out there that seem to have no heart or feelings at all. There are those of us who respect your dedication to our enjoyment and we thank you for it.
:lovestruc

The OP comes off rather insensitive to the CMs in my opinion.
I disagree. I think the OP doesn't know... or didn't know... what we hear every day. Some of the things are simply unimaginable until you hear them.

If the people who make jokes to our faces would go away and leave the parks and resorts to the rest of you... I would be highly in favor of getting you back up front.

... My views and emotions on this issue are very raw and they are my own. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the Walt Disney Company, or any other involved entity.
I'm sorry for your loss, but some of your behavior is completely unacceptable.

Some of HIS behavior? Did you read the same conversation post that i did? amonorailpilot's behavior was far better than mine would have been. Mine might have cost me my job. Personally I think his behavior was stellar considering the guest.

Some of HIS behavior? Did you read the same conversation post that i did? amonorailpilot's behavior was far better than mine would have been. Mine might have cost me my job. Personally I think his behavior was stellar considering the guest.

Exactly, like he said cast members are human too. Just cause people spend a fortune their doesnt give them the right to act like a horses rear end.

But some people are going always to be like that regardless. I remember back in late Sept 2001, my next door neighbors at the time were complaining about how the baseball games were canceled because of that "9/11 thing" that happened :sad2:

I agree with the previous posters that this CM's behaviour is not out of line at all. it sounds like he has remained polite and consistent with very, very rude, and sometimes cruel, guests.

amonorailpilot,

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for everyone who works in the monorails area. Please accept my apologies for those unbelievably insensitive guests that choose to make light or harrass you about the tragic death of Austin. I can't understand why some people would do something like that and be so insensitive. My prayers are with you and all your coworkers as well as Austinn's family that the Lord will give you comfort and peace. :hug:

I agree with the previous posters that this CM's behaviour is not out of line at all. it sounds like he has remained polite and consistent with very, very rude, and sometimes cruel, guests.

Me too. And I find the OP's position on this very rude as well. Loss of one life is 'minimal'? Sorry, no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter