Returning to cabins after 20+ years?

brookmey

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

We are in the beginning stages of planning for a trip in June 2013 for my 40th b-day. Never too early to start planning and saving, right? :thumbsup2

We want to make this trip a big one, 12 days at Disney and then 2 for IOA and the boy wizard. It will be me, DH, DD, who will be 9 and DS who will be 6. Our idea right now is to do a split stay. The week of my b-day we'll be at my dream resort, Poly. I've never stayed there and have always wanted to. DH doesn't want to stay there the whole time, so we've been considering the cabins.

When I was a child we made several trips to WDW and we always stayed at FW, either camping or in the cabins. I loved it there and have so many fond memories of our visits there. Riding the boat to MK and to CR to play arcade games, swimming at the pool, the campfire sing alongs, River Country and swimming in Bay Lake. Unfortunately, RC and swimming in the lake are gone, but I have such wonderful memories of FW and to me WDW is FW. I would love for my kids to have similar experiences and memories.

We stopped staying at the cabins when CBR opened and I've never been back. I've been to FW a couple of times for Trail's End, but not the cabins. My sister and her family, who are DVC, rented out their points 2 years ago so they could stay at the cabins, for many of the same reasons why I want to. She came back really disappointed. She felt the cabins were too small for their 4 person family (kids were 8 & 6 then) and thought the DVC 1 BR villas were better. She felt that all the things we loved about FW as kids can now be found at every resort. She also said that FW is just not what it used to be, but didn't give me any specifics as to how. Maybe she's just spoiled after staying in DVC accomodations! :)

So, now I'm wondering if my sister and I have romanticized our memories and no longer have a clear picture of the resort. Could anyone give me an honest, objective then vs. now rundown of the resort? Thank you!

I don't think FW is like any other resort. The vibe is very different to me. You can do campfires at some other WDW resorts, but you don't get the Cowboy singalong and you don't get Chip N Dale. You don't see horses and have wagon/carriage rides at other resorts. At the Fort, you're outdoors the moment you step outside your room. It's mostly quiet. It doesn't feel like you're cooped up in a hotel. You don't see armadillos, or deer (or campers) at CBR.
It's very different. It's not for everyone. The cabins aren't as hotel-nice as the 1BR villas I've seen. They are Disney-Rustic.

My kids are younger than yours. But they love the bunk beds and it's the highlight of their trip. The cabin is big enough for our family of 5, and we usually even invite Grandma along for part of our trips. You are crowded with 6, but it still works just fine.

You might notice the romance has worn off, but your kids will have a BLAST at the Fort. Just like you did.

I agree with the previous poster, we have stayed at most of the Top Disney hotels over the years and still enjoy FW the most. It seems layed back a lot more and the people staying there are more friendly, even the ones driving Million dollar rv's. I will say we have enjoyed the themed hotels like Poly, Wl, AKL, Cont. etc. The pool has been upgraded quite a bit for the kids..

I enjoy camping so my response is biased. To me there is nothing better than getting back from Disney and the hustle and bustle and waiting and rushing and rushing..to wait...., and kicking back on a comfy chair with favorite beverage, on the porch or at your campsite. The kids frolicking outside, exploring, throwing the ball...all within ear and eye sight. The feeling of neighborhood as you stroll the loop, cool breezes, sun streaming thru the trees. Dinner on the grill...that eery little indian music wafting around. An evening on the beach with the cool sand, kids coming together to play. No confines, open spaces. No concern of what your wearing or having a beer in your hand. I always feel that we didnt spend enough time at the Fort. ....Try that at one of the other resorts.

In order of preference having stayed in all,

Treehouse Villa-SSR

1 Bedroom Villa-OKW

Cabin-FW

Like you I went to the Fort as a kid then came back again (and again and again...) as a parent with my kids.

I think part of the mystery of the Fort as kids was the carefree attitude we had. The Fort was exciting, different, exotic, fun, and stimulating as kids. Now as an adult I worry about travel plans, gas prices, dining reservations, weather, sudden illnesses, and paying for the vacation no less.

I don't think the Fort has fundamentally changed. We've changed. I've stayed in the most expensive 5-star hotels in the world in Monte Carlo with the tuxes, champagne, discreet staff, the whole nine yards. I've also camped in a tent at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and been just as happy when I was in Monte Carlo.

It depends on what you want at WDW.

If you want to be pampered, the Fort is not the place.
If you want to feel special like you're worth the $$$$, the Fort is not the place.
If you want to impress people by how much you spent on your vacation, the Fort is not the place.

If, on the other hand:

You want to relax while on vacation....
You want to rediscover those carefree days of your youth....
You want to enjoy meeting people (fellow campers) who are relaxed like you...
You want to enjoy spanish moss in cypress trees and watch the sunset....

The Fort is the place.

Bama ED

Brookmey, we sound so much alike! Our family leaves in 3 days for Fort Wilderness for my 40th birthday (at my request). I haven't stayed at the Fort since 1989 (high school graduation). My family and I spent many summers camping there and I have fond memories of the place. This year, we'll be taking our kids (8 and 4) and I hope they have as much fun as my brother and I used to. I remember River Country, the campfire program, the petting zoo, swimming in the lake, hiking trails, renting a canoe. Alas, some of that is gone, but I think it carries the same vibe (according to those on this board).

In the words of my 4 year old, "I'm sooo excited!!!".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter