Return Of The Ropes

Not sure what you mean, but I have anxiety and I am not very good with crowds, and prone to panic attacks. I know that it's one of the scenarios I am not very comfortable with, and has been unpleasant for me in the past. So, a pre-park open breakfast was a good solution for that issue. Also, I'm not keen on the crowds during Wishes. Still working on trying to make Wishes a little easier for me somehow.

No, not directed at you. Sorry for the confusion. :hippie:

I'm just struggling with why WDW would go away from a simpler, safer, less chaotic procedure and re-institute the old one. 1 possibility: WDW trying to increase breakfast ADRs (i.e., $$$$). I hope that's not the reason.

No, not directed at you. Sorry for the confusion. :hippie:

I'm just struggling with why WDW would go away from a simpler, safer, less chaotic procedure and re-institute the old one. 1 possibility: WDW trying to increase breakfast ADRs (i.e., $$$$). I hope that's not the reason.

Oh, ok, thanks. No, I don't think that is the reason, since it's already difficult to get an earlier ADR. But I'd love to know the reason for getting rid of the simpler, safer, less chaotic procedure and re-instituting the old one. :(

The article title says for all non-EMH mornings, so I suppose they will still do the tap-style entry for the EMH mornings?

Story time

Once I was at magic kingdom for rope drop. We were headed to splash mountain. Before they dropped the rope to splash area several customer service people came up to the rope tucked arm and arm. One person gathered the rope. Then slowly the employees walked arm and arm. No one could pass them. There was that many of them. Some guy in his 40's full of camera gear and a back pack tried running though the crowd but was stopped by them and he got mad and muttered, "the rope is down why are you blocking the way." They said they were not blocking but ensuring that everyone was walking to the front entrance together and he was more than welcomed to join in or try to come back to splash later. His face was priceless. Others that we're being shoved by this man , seeing his me first behavior had a satisfied nice try look on their face. It was indeed magical.

I was impressed. I haven't seen that happen again.

Wow, talk about 'out of control' at Tokyo Disney. :scared1: Don't think I want to go there! I thought it was bad enough at WDW - it's tame in comparison!

We loved old fashioned rope drop when they had it at the parks - so what if people sprint by you, right? We found it exciting, and never had any issues with it.

It makes so much more sense to get as many people as possible past the ticket/tap whatever-you-want-to-call-them turnstiles as early as possible. If rope drop is the running of the bulls, then backups at the stiles are traffic jams ripe for road rage.

The difference between a rope drop in the park and just opening up and letting people in through the turnstiles is that the act of going through the turnstiles acts as a filter that naturally spreads out the crowds. It makes for a less condensed crowd in the park.

Hopefully by the time we go in 2 weeks they will realize this isn't a good idea and go back to the other way. I hated when they do the rope drop it is so dangerous. I'm surprised they would go back to it.

The article title says for all non-EMH mornings, so I suppose they will still do the tap-style entry for the EMH mornings?
Not sure about DHS,but Epcot has started doing Rope Drop for AM EMH-Guests are held just before Spaceship Earth(timestamp is CST).:)

I like the way they have the CMs set out like pinball bumpers, so people can't run in a straight line...
The CM's adorably trying to keep people calm by holding their hands up. DH said he assumes they're running from the Godzilla in the parking lot.

We watch Wishes from behind the castle, near Belle's cottage. It's never been even slightly crowded there, and the main fireworks are over Beast's castle :)
We prefer to watch Wishes from that location too.

I had a co-worker recently telling me about her trip to Disney World. They seemed to be pretty good planners and tried to maximize their time the best they could.

She was very excited to tell me about her experience riding Midway Mania without a Fast Pass. The got up really early, got to the gates about 45 minutes before they opened and waited in a pretty large crowd. Then they hurried as fast as they could to the ride and the wait was *only* 15 minutes. By the time they got off the line was almost an hour long. There were people all over the place.

I rode the same ride 4 times in about an hour late at night and didn't have to deal with the crowds.

We loved old fashioned rope drop when they had it at the parks - so what if people sprint by you, right? We found it exciting, and never had any issues with it.

It makes so much more sense to get as many people as possible past the ticket/tap whatever-you-want-to-call-them turnstiles as early as possible. If rope drop is the running of the bulls, then backups at the stiles are traffic jams ripe for road rage.
We never ran, but we sure did speed walk to our first ride of the day.

The difference between a rope drop in the park and just opening up and letting people in through the turnstiles is that the act of going through the turnstiles acts as a filter that naturally spreads out the crowds. It makes for a less condensed crowd in the park.
If you have the misfortune of getting stuck behind the family who can't figure out how to use their bands, or the family who thinks it's cute to let their 2 year old try to light up Mickey....you could end up with a 30 or 40 minute wait for toy story. This happened to us back in April.

Speed walking with the CMs should result in about a 15 minute wait.

We watch Wishes from behind the castle, near Belle's cottage. It's never been even slightly crowded there, and the main fireworks are over Beast's castle :)
Going to remember that for our next trip!!

We did an early ADR at Akershus for our DD's birthday and I will say this: Walking through Epcot at 7:45 am is TRULY magical. We walked through the international gateway from the Yacht and Beach resort and There was no one in the park! We had it all to ourselves! My DD was doings cartwheels from England to Canada because she could! It is still one of my favorite memories from our last trip and I would do it again! We have never been a part of rope drop as we are usually eating breakfast early but at just the right time to miss the chaos. We still get to everything we want and have a magical day! In my mind, I just ignore the nonsense of others and focus on my family. That us how I stay sane!!

Last edited:

This thread's been real interesting. Nice to see what other parks are doing for their rope drops...

Now for those not familiar (and even for those who are) with how DHS does Rope Drops, I found 2 completely different videos on recent DHS Rope Drops:
1. Disney's Hollywood Studios Rope Drop 1 (at the WDW Resort in Orlando, FL, USA ;) - uploaded June 2015

2. Disney's Hollywood Studios Rope Drop 2 (at the WDW Resort in Orlando, FL, USA ;) - uploaded August 2015
lol @ 2:22 when the CM begs not to get ran over: "Giant step to your left, please don't run me over..."

While the precise time frame might be unknown, there's one major giveaway (notice the Frozen Summer Fun stage...), so this isn't "SWW/Star Wars Weekends" or anything like that and it might not look that bad, but pay close attention to the very end, when they're all being massively corralled into the TSMM queue (and stop to pick something you dropped up, and you get ran over)!

This thread will probably never have any visibility, and I'm sure I'm preachin' to the choir, but Disney execs, if you're reading this, please, please, please discontinue the Rope Drop at DHS, DAK, and EP.

20150819_083642_zpscd1jx7oz.jpg

Ugh...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter