Restroom Questions

JennyWren

Mouseketeer
Okay, so here is the issue:

We will be going to WDW in June (myself, DS & DD). DS has ASD and is non-verbal, at 13 I don't know what to do about restroom breaks. He is too old to take to the women's room. DD can sit with him when I go and vica versa, however I am nervous about sending him into the men's room alone for fear that he could get disorientated and not be able to find us after the fact. I realize that companion/family restrooms would be our best bet. However, DS tends to wait till the last minute to let me know he has to go, so the chances of us being close to one is probably slim.

So here is my question:

1) Which restrooms have more than one entrance/exit? Do any of them have more than two? I could always wait at one entrance and send DD to stand by the other, however a third would be problematic.

2) Can anyone give my any other advice on how to handle this situation?

Disney has companion bathrooms most other bathrooms has two entrances and others only have one. None of them have more than two I don't believe you should have any problems. There are plenty of cast members that are in and out of the bathrooms. If you need assistance I'm sure they will be willing to help.

You are right that the Companion Restrooms are not very plentiful nd cn be far between. There may also be a wait for them, as they can be busy and many disabled people need a longer time in the bathroom.
The locations are noted on the park maps for guests with disabilities, so my first suggestion would be to get a map and make sure you know where the one is in the area you are in.
You cn also use First Aid or the Baby Care Centers. There is only one of each in each park, so that may not be very helpful.

The restrooms with more than one entrance tend to be the larger ones or ones on corners, where one entrance might be in one area, and the other is around the corner in not her land. Many with 2 entrances have the entrance in the same place - it's inside the restroom where there are 2 possible paths to the doorway.

This website my be helpful.
http://www.cassworld.ca/bathrooms.htm
I don't know if it is totally up to date, but thy tend not to chnge things like doorways, so what is probably missing is new restrooms, stall rearrangement or renovations that make them look different on the inside.

Have him go before he has to go - plan to stop at a companion restroom at regular intervals. If he doesn't like to go until the last minute, practice going at home every hour or half hour.

Our family motto is 'if one goes, we all go'. :rotfl: We drive to WDW (1350 miles each way) so we do this most at rest stops, but it works at the park as well. Have him go in the companion, one of you can go to the ladies' room, while one waits for him. When he comes out, walk over the the ladies' room, do a tag team, and switch places.

My autistic non-verbal ds is 15(more like 3 in maturity) and there is no way I would send him in to the men's room by himself. We do companion restrooms, or if they are taken and he really has to go, then I take him in the women's restroom. We go straight in to a stall and walk straight out. It is obvious he has a disability so no one has ever said anything to me. It is hard being a single mom with 2 special needs boys. I do what I have to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter