RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

More than a club according to this e-mail I just got today after modifying my profil...

Almost as legit as the olive garden - "when you're here, you're family". It's a real family restaurant, obviously, because it says so. It's not like you're buying overpriced, processed, low-grade chain restaurant food to pad the bottom line of Darden Industries or anything...

But they are still marketing it as a club. That's deceptive advertising.
Not really, technically and legally it's the same thing. It's just a different label trying to take away some of the timeshare perceptions. Most timeshare systems market as a club.

Most timeshare systems market as a club.

Legally, just a club. Many paragraphs in the Condominium Documents attest to this.

However, a Club at Disney is a very special word. The Mickey Mouse Club is core to the Disney brand promise. I bet we can all still sing the theme song to that show. They did not choose the word "Club" lightly when they used that term for DVC. I think Ken Potrock even mentions this in one of the marketing videos. Club is a sacred word at Disney and they have to live up. And that is a bold thing for a timeshare operator to say.

So, to me, Disney is in no danger through eliminating perks. But they are in grave danger by "kicking people out of the club". That is why the membership card issue is the real danger point for Disney here. Executives could lose their jobs if it starts playing on the nightly news that people have been kicked out of the club that's made for you and me.

They could have avoided this by not calling it a membership card. They could have called it a "discount card" and they would be fine. But by withholding membership cards, they are in danger of breaking the brand promise, and that can't be good for a career.

That, and $18.00, will get you free refills for two weeks at a disney resort, one of which can be a cup of coffee.

Legally, just a club. Many paragraphs in the Condominium Documents attest to this.

However, a Club at Disney is a very special word. The Mickey Mouse Club is core to the Disney brand promise. I bet we can all still sing the theme song to that show. They did not choose the word "Club" lightly when they used that term for DVC. I think Ken Potrock even mentions this in one of the marketing videos. Club is a sacred word at Disney and they have to live up. And that is a bold thing for a timeshare operator to say.

So, to me, Disney is in no danger through eliminating perks. But they are in grave danger by "kicking people out of the club". That is why the membership card issue is the real danger point for Disney here. Executives could lose their jobs if it starts playing on the nightly news that people have been kicked out of the club that's made for you and me.

They could have avoided this by not calling it a membership card. They could have called it a "discount card" and they would be fine. But by withholding membership cards, they are in danger of breaking the brand promise, and that can't be good for a career.

That, and $18.00, will get you free refills for two weeks at a disney resort, one of which can be a cup of coffee.
THIS is exactly my beef. The issue isn't the perks.

The issue is the ham-handed way they've dismissed resale buyers as 2nd class purchasers no longer part of "the club".

I certainly wouldn't spend tens of thousands of dollars to be pointedly called out as not fit to be a member.

I wouldn't want to be part of a club that didn't want me as a member.

Obviously any action or inaction has the potential for negative consequences. It's my opinion, and been my experience, that members or potential members are a lot more bark than bite when it comes to such issues. And even if some sell or don't buy retail because of the issue, it won't be enough. They have a lot of things they can do to boost sales even if the concern were to hold true. My prediction is that we haven't seen the last of this. What they want to do IS to make resale buyers second class citizens so that new buyers and current owners will buy retail. Given that other systems have done so far more aggressively and effectively and are still doing well further suggests this isn't likely to slow them down. Executives will likely only be in danger if they can't generate or exceed predicted profits. One can be assured this has been vetted far higher than DVD prior to implementation.

Well we already knew that we were considered family. Our special letter was simply signed "Ken."

That does make me feel special. Wow.

I love corporate jargon. It's one of my favorite things. One of the datacenters my company uses had a brief outage on one of their internet connections, and they said it was a result of "sub-optimal routing". I felt we should pay the forthcoming invoice with "sub-optimal funding".

Not online check in. That of course is asking you when you plan on arriving.

The booking says after 4 under the terms and conditions that you must select a check box saying you have read and agree to them. I looked at it 13 hours ago. If you don't check that box you don't get your reservation.

It doesn't say: "some time after 4pm when we feel like it" it says "after 4pm". So if now it's 4:01pm I expect to be able to check in according to that wording. Otherwise, as other said, check at midnight would be acceptable as well.
Of course things can happen and rooms might not be ready, but I would expect an apoligy if slightly after 4pm or some form of compensation if longer. A drink if it's 5pm, a dinner if later, something like that. In extreme cases: points for the first night.
It doesn't really apply to me much, since my flight lands often in the late afternoon and I'm never at WDW before 6pm. However, there must be a rule and it cannot be something that allows the resort to check me in at midnight.

Last edited:
It doesn't say: "some time after 4pm when we feel like it" it says "after 4pm". So if now it's 4:01pm I expect to be able to check in according to that wording. Otherwise, as other said, check at midnight would be acceptable as well.
Of course things can happen and rooms might not be ready, but I would expect an apoligy if slightly after 4pm or some form of compensation if longer. A drink if it's 5pm, a dinner if later, something like that. In extreme cases: points for the first night.
It doesn't really apply to me much, since my flight lands often in the late afternoon and I'm never at WDW before 6pm. However, there must be a rule and it cannot be something that allows the resort to check me in at midnight.
That may be your take but it's not theirs. IMO that's one of the problems with the policy change a number of years ago, there isn't a formal endpoint where once can say it's truly out of bounds.

As Dean has said there isn't any definite time - after 4PM leaves it open-ended. Very intentionally I believe.

As Dean has said there isn't any definite time - after 4PM leaves it open-ended. Very intentionally I believe.
I too believe it was intentional. Like grades, lower the standard rather than addressing the issue.

Not sure if I missed this on the thread but is the new half price for DVC members after hours event offer a perk restricted to people who bought direct (I'm assuming yes)? Or is that offer open to all DVC members considering there hasn't been much time for new resale contracts to complete the process since the rule change?

Not sure if I missed this on the thread but is the new half price for DVC members after hours event offer a perk restricted to people who bought direct (I'm assuming yes)? Or is that offer open to all DVC members considering there hasn't been much time for new resale contracts to complete the process since the rule change?
There's no way anyone submitted to ROFR, passed, closed, and received their member credentials since the change.

Since they decided to grandfather in any contract that was received by Disney for ROFR by April 3rd I would think there couldn't possibly be any DVC member who wouldn't be eligible-it normally takes at least 8 weeks from the time a contract is sent for ROFR to close and transfer the contract. The last date is May 19th which is less than 7 weeks from the cut off date for the new restrictions. However as it is a membership perk like the store discounts and the AP discount I would assume if one had an amazingly fast sale and was a member by 5/19 (or when a similar type event discount is announced in the future) any resale owners who bought after 4/4/16 would not be eligible.

ETA Just saw supersnoop beat me to it.

But to the question as to whether the half price discount for the after hours event is the kind of benefit that would not be available to those who owned only points purchased resale since April 4, the answer is yes, although I am still trying to figure how paying $75 to get extra magic hours and an ice cream bar is actually considered a benefit when extra magic hours are still available free other nights to those staying on site. Frankly, I wish no one would support Disney's effort to test for a paying event that has likely been created so it can do away with the free event. The $75 is itself just part of the test for the likely do away with free extra magic hours to be replaced by a $149 event to those staying off-site, $90 to those staying on site with an extra $15 discount for DVC members, and Disney can call it one of those great benefits for both staying on site and purchasing DVC from DVD.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter