RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

But to the question as to whether the half price discount for the after hours event is the kind of benefit that would not be available to those who owned only points purchased resale since April 4, the answer is yes, although I am still trying to figure how paying $75 to get extra magic hours and an ice cream bar is actually considered a benefit when extra magic hours are still available free other nights to those staying on site. Frankly, I wish no one would support Disney's effort to test for a paying event that has likely been created so it can do away with the free event. The $75 is itself just part of the test for the likely do away with free extra magic hours to be replaced by a $149 event to those staying off-site, $90 to those staying on site with an extra $15 discount for DVC members, and Disney can call it one of those great benefits for both staying on site and purchasing DVC from DVD.

Sadly you are probably right but you may be getting your wish as I don't think they have been able to sell out one event yet and all reports have shown attendance quite low. I definitely will not be paying/going.

But to the question as to whether the half price discount for the after hours event is the kind of benefit that would not be available to those who owned only points purchased resale since April 4, the answer is yes, although I am still trying to figure how paying $75 to get extra magic hours and an ice cream bar is actually considered a benefit when extra magic hours are still available free other nights to those staying on site. Frankly, I wish no one would support Disney's effort to test for a paying event that has likely been created so it can do away with the free event. The $75 is itself just part of the test for the likely do away with free extra magic hours to be replaced by a $149 event to those staying off-site, $90 to those staying on site with an extra $15 discount for DVC members, and Disney can call it one of those great benefits for both staying on site and purchasing DVC from DVD.

Seems like this is the new Disney model. DVC is charging for most of the member magic events and experiences, everything from bowling to holiday dinners.

:earsboy: Bill

I'll continue to argue that these paid events do not mean anything for getting rid of the regular EMH. In fact, I think the whole "resale is not DVC member" argues that they will KEEP EMH. One of the major sales points for staying on-site at Disney is the EMH. It's constantly surveyed very high as important to customers. Sure people pay $700 a night for a $300 hotel room to be close to MK - but the EMH is a real sell point. Why in the world would you pay $150-$200 a night for a value room if they took away that perk. I mean, people would still do it, but they would definitely lose customers if they said the only benefit to staying on site is bus transportation to the parks.

You have to remember, EMH is only ONE night a week. They have all those other nights that if they could charge people extra they could stay open and not effect EMH.

I'll continue to argue that these paid events do not mean anything for getting rid of the regular EMH. In fact, I think the whole "resale is not DVC member" argues that they will KEEP EMH. One of the major sales points for staying on-site at Disney is the EMH. It's constantly surveyed very high as important to customers. Sure people pay $700 a night for a $300 hotel room to be close to MK - but the EMH is a real sell point. Why in the world would you pay $150-$200 a night for a value room if they took away that perk. I mean, people would still do it, but they would definitely lose customers if they said the only benefit to staying on site is bus transportation to the parks.

You have to remember, EMH is only ONE night a week. They have all those other nights that if they could charge people extra they could stay open and not effect EMH.

Disney will keep one EMH per week and play up the availability but they will offer paid EMH if it makes them enough money. DVC gets discounts when Disney or their business partners would rather offer a discount than have low attendance or empty tables.

It's all about the numbers.

:earsboy: Bill

I have been to extra magic hours, and it seems that the park is quite full with guests eligible to stay. The lines are still long. The line for Space Mountain was an hour and a half.

With the special event, they are catering to wealthy people who will pay a full days ticket price in exchange for no lines. This is in keeping with the strategy of creating special experiences for the wealthy. In my opinion, they will offer it to DVC only to generate positive buzz about the event until they can fill the event with guests paying the full rate.

I suppose we should be grateful that they do not close the park for three hours for the wealthy in the middle of the day.

The regular evening EMH is kind of a farce anyway. The onsite guests usually are the majority in the park late in the day anyway, and the crowds seem about the same as what you'd expect if it were open to the public. It's just a way of offering regular park hours but disguising it as a "perk" (for on-site guests)

The regular evening EMH is kind of a farce anyway. The onsite guests usually are the majority in the park late in the day anyway, and the crowds seem about the same as what you'd expect if it were open to the public. It's just a way of offering regular park hours but disguising it as a "perk" (for on-site guests)

Oh yeah - EMH are a bit of a con - but they ARE longer than normal hours, and a lot of people (on-site) consider it a serious perk. We do our trips contrarian, so skip the EMH parks. However, i prefer that they keep EMH - because that draws big crowds to those parks, and in return I get lower crowds at the park I choose to go to that day.

But it comes back to that I think there's very little chance that they get rid of them. As can by seen by just showing up at them, a significant portion of people use them. There's around 25,000 on-site hotel rooms, and if even 5% of the people staying on-site consider this an important perk (and I bet it's higher than that) you are talking 1,250 hotel rooms or around 5,000 people that would move off-site if they got rid of them.

I just submitted ROFR on first contract and had a few questions. I'm sure the answers are in here somewhere but can someone confirm as a (hopeful) post-Apr 4th member:
1) Will I have access to ToWL? I am pretty sure yes.
2) Will I have access to Epcot Lounge?
3) If I wanted to become a "full" member, does a 25 point add-on from DVD make all my points a "full" member?

I just submitted ROFR on first contract and had a few questions. I'm sure the answers are in here somewhere but can someone confirm as a (hopeful) post-Apr 4th member:
1) Will I have access to ToWL? I am pretty sure yes.
2) Will I have access to Epcot Lounge?
3) If I wanted to become a "full" member, does a 25 point add-on from DVD make all my points a "full" member?
1. From what I have read it is believed to be the case since it is technically a common area and therefore paid for by BLT owners MF.
2. Don't think anyone knows for sure but that could definitely be a no if DVD (the selling arm of the timeshare division) is paying for it vs member dues.
3. As of right now it appears it will gain you the member perks but no one knows if that will change in the future (i.e. Disney requiring a higher number of points to qualify as a "direct purchaser" and get those perks). It will not make your points eligible to exchange for cruises or the Disney collection (bad use of points anyway)

There are 3 current owners classes

1. Resale Points purchased prior to March 2011 and all direct purchased points-access to membership extras as well as the ability to exchange points for Disney travel and Concierge collection. This is tracked by the points used to book and only applies to direct purchased points and resale contract points bought prior to March 2011 qualify (i.e. If you qualify and buy another 200 resale points later on those are not eligible).

2. Resale buyers who purchased between March 2011 and April 4 2016. No access to those collections (points do not qualify) but full membership perks otherwise (discounts on park passes, access to special events, dining/shopping discounts, etc)

3. Resale Buyers after 4/4/16
No access to those collections (points do not qualify) and no access to membership extras. If you read the document DVC put out it does not list the restaurant and shop discounts so those may possibly continue. Ticket discounts and special events are specifically mentioned so those would only be avail with a subsequent direct purchase. That will gain you the membership extras and ability to book those collections but only with your direct purchased points (i.e. If you buy 25 direct only those points are eligible not your resale contract)

Last edited:
1. From what I have read it is believed to be the case since it is technically a common area and therefore paid for by BLT owners MF.
2. Don't think anyone knows for sure but that could definitely be a no if DVD (the selling arm of the timeshare division) is paying for it vs member dues.
3. As of right now it appears it will gain you the member perks but no one knows if that will change in the future (i.e. Disney requiring a higher number of points to qualify as a "direct purchaser" and get those perks). It will not make your points eligible to exchange for cruises or the Disney collection (bad use of points anyway)

1. Resale Points purchased prior to March 2011 and all direct purchased points-access to membership extras as well as the ability to exchange points for Disney travel and Concierge collection. This is tracked by the points used to book and only applies to direct purchased points and resale contract points bought prior to March 2011 qualify (i.e. If you qualify and buy another 200 resale points later on those are not eligible).

2. Resale buyers who purchased between March 2011 and April 4 2016. No access to those collections (points do not qualify) but full membership perks otherwise (discounts on park passes, access to special events, dining/shopping discounts, etc)

No access to those collections (points do not qualify) and no access to membership extras. If you read the document DVC put out it does not list the restaurant and shop discounts so those may possibly continue. Ticket discounts and special events are specifically mentioned so those would only be avail with a subsequent direct purchase. That will gain you the membership extras and ability to book those collections but only with your direct purchased points (i.e. If you buy 25 direct only those points are eligible not your resale contract)
I'm going to generally agree with minor variation.
1. I think there's about a 50% chance it will be restricted.
2. I think it's almost certain that the lounge will be restricted, I was thinking there was already some indication from DVD this would be the case.
3. For now it is likely a 25 point purchase will qualify one permanently if they cont to own the retail points but I suspect they'll raise the minimum in the future in some way.

There's one other addition to the #2 class. We can't use points for the Cruise nor can we go. At least not according to the MS person I spoke to on the phone 2 years ago. I wouldn't think a Member's Cruise would be part of the "collection" if we were paying cash but supposedly it is.

There's one other addition to the #2 class. We can't use points for the Cruise nor can we go. At least not according to the MS person I spoke to on the phone 2 years ago. I wouldn't think a Member's Cruise would be part of the "collection" if we were paying cash but supposedly it is.

That is correct, they restrict going on the Member Cruise. I too think that it's a charter at that point and it was just a petty response. But we now have Members who aren't Members and now it's time to stop calling it a "Club".

Forgot cruise cash bookings weren't eligible for resale buyers-thanks

As to TOWL access, nothing has been said yet. It was my understanding when BLT initially went on the market that Disney purposefully kept TOWL from being designated a common area when BLT was established, leaving it as a commercial unit that covers its own operational and maintainence costs, and that Disney did that to assure it could just end the exclusive use by members anytime it wanted to and either open it to everyone or to no one except for convention groups or special events. If that is the case then Disney could restrict access to new resale purchasers because it is an incidental benefit that does not use member dues for its operations or maintenance (that lack of use of dues is one of the legal requirements to make something an incidental benefit that can be taken away from some members).

The Epcot lounge is similar in that nothing specific has been said yet and it definitely does not rely on any dues paid by members for its construction or maintenance, and thus resale purchasers could be excluded.

And under the current rule, a new resale purchaser could gain access to any of the lost benefits by purchasing a 25 point add-on from DVD.

I'm going to generally agree with minor variation.
1. I think there's about a 50% chance it will be restricted.
2. I think it's almost certain that the lounge will be restricted, I was thinking there was already some indication from DVD this would be the case.
3. For now it is likely a 25 point purchase will qualify one permanently if they cont to own the retail points but I suspect they'll raise the minimum in the future in some way.

Agree with this. I wouldn't count on 1 or 2 being available to you - and just be pleasantly surprised if it turns out that it is.

Lol sorry that was implied-that would be interesting if resale buyers couldn't book any Disney cruises with their own money lol

:rotfl: I can hear it now - "We see you bought DVC resale? Sorry, but we can't accept your money for anything anymore."

As to TOWL access, nothing has been said yet. It was my understanding when BLT initially went on the market that Disney purposefully kept TOWL from being designated a common area when BLT was established, leaving it as a commercial unit that covers its own operational and maintainence costs, and that Disney did that to assure it could just end the exclusive use by members anytime it wanted to and either open it to everyone or to no one except for convention groups or special events. If that is the case then Disney could restrict access to new resale purchasers because it is an incidental benefit that does not use member dues for its operations or maintenance (that lack of use of dues is one of the legal requirements to make something an incidental benefit that can be taken away from some members).

The Epcot lounge is similar in that nothing specific has been said yet and it definitely does not rely on any dues paid by members for its construction or maintenance, and thus resale purchasers could be excluded.

And under the current rule, a new resale purchaser could gain access to any of the lost benefits by purchasing a 25 point add-on from DVD.

I believe that TOTWL was declared into the association. I think it is leased back to Disney to operate the lounge.

I've read a couple posts today on facebook from people who were randomly given free tickets for last night. One walked up to a concierge desk to buy the tickets and were given them free, which doesn't make sense. So it doesn't seem they can sell all these tickets.

That is correct, they restrict going on the Member Cruise. I too think that it's a charter at that point and it was just a petty response. But we now have Members who aren't Members and now it's time to stop calling it a "Club".
I thought is a little weird that they didn't allow cash bookings but in general this is the way timeshare sales work. I've said before that you had to be able to hold your nose on the timeshare sales side to stomach participating. IMO when it comes to these type of things DVD does want you to feel like second class members because they want potential members to avoid resale and buy retail. That they sold the points and made a profit in the past doesn't matter. If it bothers people too much they likely shouldn't play. It's not going to get better and will likely get worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter