repeated BUS ABUSE ON OUR TRIP THIS PAST WEEK

Chuck S said:
I don't see why their couldn't be two levels of transportation. The resorts used to require a resort ID to board resort busses. Offsite hopper ticket holders could be limited to inter-park transportation. Resort guests, no matter what resort, could be allowed full use, that would alow for dining and shopping at all resorts. AP holders could also be allowed full use, as it is unlikely they would try to save the parking costs, as it is included in an AP.
GREAT POINT Chuck!!! I agree.

3DisneyNUTS said:

not to be rude, but i dont know if you guys are just missing the point or care not to see it. disney wants everyone to go to the resorts not just the resort guests. They would love people staying off site to come to the park then hop on over to one of their restraunts instead of to one wherever they came from.
Disney would love to get people to walk throught e resorts, maybe someone who has never been will really like it and want to stay there next time, etc etc etc

they probably are not going to stop non resort guests from using the busses

also on allears I found the following, obvioulsy it may be incorrect so dont quote me quote them:

What do the Admission tickets include?

"Regular Magic Your Way Base tickets provide entrance to a single theme park on a given day....... Use of Disney transportation is included with admission."

so it seems to me its not only multi-day tickets as some had asked

Pluto4Pres said:
When the reports of burglaries at OKW hit the boards I wondered how someone would get in if they were not a CM or resort guest. Everyone has to stop at the gate and show ID to the guard to get in. Apparently it is pretty easy. Anyone can hop on a Disney bus at a park entrance with their backpack and ride right past the guard house. You don't have to show resort ID or a park pass to get on, so you don't need to buy a thing. Once they get to a resort they can walk around, hit several rooms for cash, jewelry, credit cards and small electronics. They can then leave the same way they got in with a full backpack.

I think that the inconvenience to SSR guests is only one part of the problem. The real issue is security. I would be glad to show my ID every time I got on a bus. I would have no problem if some information was recorded, like swiping the card or some type of speedpass device. They can also video tape me to their heart's desire, (in public areas of course). I don't plan on abusing the system. A few minor inconveniences are a small price to pay to reduce these abuses and tighten up security at the resorts. Disney need to be more vigilant in this area.

You know, I hadn't thought of that-the safety problem getting into resorts. Twice in the last year, I've been staying (solo) at a different DVC resort, yet took the bus over to OKW to "check out" something for OKW fanatic DH (trying to remember, maybe it was the pool slide). Although I never had any problem and didn't expect to, now I'm not sure I'm so happy about how easy it was to wander around OKW. You're right-not once was I asked for any type of ID. But when we drive, to check in, DH has to stop, give his name, and show ID. Anyone could just hop a bus with their backpack (filled with tools or who knows what). Not sure of the answer to this problem, though.

Offsite hopper ticket holders could be limited to inter-park transportation. Resort guests, no matter what resort, could be allowed full use, that would alow for dining and shopping at all resorts.

So offsite guest shouldn't be allowed to visit the resorts for shopping or dining ? :confused3
I'm traveling this summer with in-laws and their children. We gave them our Vistana week while we'll be staying at OKW. I would hate to see them denied access to a bus going to ,say the WL for instance if we all had PS at Whispering Canyone for dinner ? That would make for a very disappointing vacation for us all considering this is the first time we're vacationing all together. The kids are very excited about having their cousins along who have NEVER been to WDW (compared to my kids' 15 trips at least). I know they could use their car, but how time consuming and what a hassle for us as a group to split up.

sjdisneywedding said:
not to be rude, but i dont know if you guys are just missing the point or care not to see it. disney wants everyone to go to the resorts not just the resort guests. They would love people staying off site to come to the park then hop on over to one of their restraunts instead of to one wherever they came from.
Disney would love to get people to walk throught e resorts, maybe someone who has never been will really like and want to stay there next time, etc etc etc

I think most people do get it. And, I don't think most people are really concerned about people walking thru their resort "sight seeing"...I mean, this happens at BWV and BCV all the time....BWV is a destination in and of itself.

I think SSR owners are simply concerned that CM's are "advising" people to cut thru their resort to get to another, non-SSR related destination. And, this is even further exacerbated by the fact that there is no "WDW resort" to help cover the costs of this increased "thoroughfare" traffic....it's just owners picking up the tab for extra busses...no resort is going to help cover the cost. And, if the people who were "passing through" were actually going to "spend money at SSR", I think most people would not be complaining. But, since regular resort guests cannot pool hop, and I seriously doubt large quantities of guests are making the trek to eat at Artist's Palette....I'd say they are just "passing through". Maybe the stores at DTD need to help subsidize the busses.

I don't own at SSR, so I don't really have a stake in this "horse", either (pardon the pun)...but, I don't think it is fair to ask SSR owners to subsidize the cost of bus transportation for any park guest. And, that is what they will end up doing....allocating more busses for this because of the traffic. SSR owners will end up paying for that.

JMHO,

:wave:

Beca

MiaSRN62 said:
So offsite guest shouldn't be allowed to visit the resorts for shopping or dining ? :confused3
I'm traveling this summer with in-laws and their children. We gave them our Vistana week while we'll be staying at OKW. I would hate to see them denied access to a bus going to ,say the WL for instance if we all had PS at Whispering Canyone for dinner ? That would be for a very disappointing vacation for us all considering this is the first time we're vacationing all together. The kids are very excited about having their cousins along who have NEVER been to WDW (compared to my kids' 15 trips at least). I know they could use their car, but how time consuming and what a hassle for us as a group to split up.
They could show their reservation at the gate or to the bus driver. Plus they are travelling with guests. I was not suggest completely shutting the busses off to those with good intentions but for pool hoppers or parking fee avoiders don't crowd my stop. Sorry but that is my opinion. It should not be an encouraged transportation hub to DTD. Go to the Ticket and transprotation center like it was in the past.

Beca said:
I think most people do get it. And, I don't think most people are really concerned about people walking thru their resort "sight seeing"...I mean, this happens at BWV and BCV all the time....BWV is a destination in and of itself.

I think SSR owners are simply concerned that CM's are "advising" people to cut thru their resort to get to another, non-SSR related destination. And, this is even further exacerbated by the fact that there is no "WDW resort" to help cover the costs of this increased "thoroughfare" traffic....it's just owners picking up the tab for extra busses...no resort is going to help cover the cost. And, if the people who were "passing through" were actually going to "spend money at SSR", I think most people would not be complaining. But, since regular resort guests cannot pool hop, and I seriously doubt large quantities of guests are making the trek to eat at Artist's Palette....I'd say they are just "passing through". Maybe the stores at DTD need to help subsidize the busses.

I don't own at SSR, so I don't really have a stake in this "horse", either (pardon the pun)...but, I don't think it is fair to ask SSR owners to subsidize the cost of bus transportation for any park guest. And, that is what they will end up doing....allocating more busses for this because of the traffic. SSR owners will end up paying for that.

JMHO,

Beca

Exactly Beca! Exactly!

Beca said:

JMHO,

Beca

again not to be rude, but I do own at SSR and completely understand the problem. Thats why I posted earlier about a parking fee at DTD for anyone without a resort ID or some type of AP. that would eliminate alot of the people coming back to their cars at DTD via SSR busses.

then if you wanted to take it a step further have a bus going directly from the parks to DTD. Then almost no one would be taking the SSR bus.

I get the issue, the problem is no one is breaking any rules yet by taking the SSR busses to get to DTD and i dont think restricting non resort guests from using the busses is anywhere near the answer, in fact its so far off from the answer its nuts if you actually think about it.

And, if the people who were "passing through" were actually going to "spend money at SSR", I think most people would not be complaining. But, since regular resort guests cannot pool hop, and I seriously doubt large quantities of guests are making the trek to eat at Artist's Palette....I'd say they are just "passing through".
This is where I agree with you Beca. If people are simply using SSR as some sort of short-cut or by-pass (of parking fees), then this is a problem. But if they have some sort of reason to be there.....earlier I suggested they might come for the Spa (as an example), then I think it's a valid reason to use the bus system. I agree, I don't think many are coming to patron the food court there---but even they should be allowed to dine here if they choose and to perhaps check-out the resort. I know we checked out the WL before we ever stayed there---pictures just don't do it justice imho. Disney made a customer with us because we have since touring the grounds, stayed 4 times over the years.

3DisneyNUTS,

Can you tell me out of the total SSR budget what per cent DVC members pay as opposed to cash paying guests as opposed to what money would be subsidized from park admittance for SSR Transportation?

Can tell me what scarlett letter you would put on someone who may be breaking rules, which at this point seems to be a lonely local, as opposed to someone visiting the DVC models as opposed to someone with a valid resort ID or multiday park admittance?

My guess is that WDW/DVC and whatever the acronym for the DVC Developer is, know full well what is happening and and set it up that way.

You are asking for something un-enforceable and IMHO not reasonable but I understand you paid your money and you deserve, no demand, what you think is right for you. :rolleyes1

3DisneyNUTS said:
They could show their reservation at the gate or to the bus driver.

what about those shopping or checking out the new resort they were thinking of staying at some time?

3DisneyNUTS said:
Plus they are travelling with guests. I was not suggest completely shutting the busses off to those with good intentions but for pool hoppers or parking fee avoiders don't crowd my stop.

But in essence thats what you are doing is shutting it off for some who have good intentions, how can you differenciate?

3DisneyNUTS said:
It should not be an encouraged transportation hub to DTD. Go to the Ticket and transprotation center like it was in the past.

no it absolutely should not, i completely agree, I would like to see someting done to change it but as it is right now, everyone is free to ride wherever they see fit

maybe the access to DTD should only be able to be accessed by SSR guests or resort guests. If you want to get to the resort to shop, eat, or look around you can take a bus to SSR and a bus out of SSR but if you are not a SSR guest or another resort guest then you can not use the walkway.(i guess it would have to be the boat as well. But who needs to be on this walkway besides SSR guests anyway. i think probably the only others would be te parking fee cheaters

sjdisneywedding said:
again not to be rude, but I do own at SSR and completely understand the problem. Thats why I posted earlier about a parking fee at DTD for anyone without a resort ID or some type of AP. that would eliminate alot of the people coming back to their cars at DTD via SSR busses.

then if you wanted to take it a step further have a bus going directly from the parks to DTD. Then almost no one would be taking the SSR bus.

I get the issue, the problem is no one is breaking any rules yet by taking the SSR busses to get to DTD and i dont think restricting non resort guests from using the busses is anywhere near the answer, in fact its so far off from the answer its nuts if you actually think about it.

Well, I think this thread is all about exploring options for a solution. The option you suggest is one solution, but probably not one WDW would enforce because of the perception of DTD businesses that "charging for parking would cut down on revenues".

I think the fear of most people who are posting on here is that WDW will do nothing, busses (which are the only WDW transportation offered at SSR) will be chronically full and will either be miserable to take (not to mention a real hassle), or that SSR will get busses added to it's route to accomodate all of these guests, and that will lead to an increase in dues to fund the "general public", and not SSR guests.

Like I said, I am not an SSR owner...but, it would be very easy for me to "pretend" this could be happening at any of the resorts I own...and, know exactly how I would feel. Our dues are high enough. I have only been an owner for about a year, and already I find myself looking over every price increase in dues from the previous year. If I were an SSR owner, I would be VERY carefully watching the increases in transportation costs over the next few years. Unless DVC does something (either your idea, or one or more of the ideas mentioned by other posters), I could see a time when SSR's dues could creep up to be some of the highest just based on transportation increases alone. DVC is already going to have to provide a staggering number of busses to get so many people so many different places...that transportation cost does not need to be "padded" by anyone using SSR as a "highway" to DTD.

I'm not arguing with you...I think we agree that something needs to be done. It's just a matter of what. To you, your idea seems great. However, I afraid that the businesses at DTD have more pull than the owners of SSR...and, that will never happen. I could be wrong.

Beca

If Disney wants to boost DTD/PI atendance, they should resume bus service from the parks to DTD and fund it themselves, not rely on SSR owners to pay for it. As it stands right now, NOBODY is going to SSR to shop or eat ( let's not kid ourselves ) so unless one is a guest at SSR, everyone else is hoofing it over to DTD to save a few bucks on parking. This is definitely not the same thing as going to the Boardwalk for an evening's entertainment.

sjdisneywedding said:
maybe the access to DTD should only be able to be accessed by SSR guests or resort guests. If you want to get to the resort to shop, eat, or look around you can take a bus to SSR and a bus out of SSR but if you are not a SSR guest or another resort guest then you can not use the walkway.(i guess it would have to be the boat as well. But who needs to be on this walkway besides SSR guests anyway. i think probably the only others would be te parking fee cheaters

That sounds like a REALLY good idea!!! Since I could not get parking at DTD in early Dec., I really don't look forward to going back and trying that again. We might also see people who want to park at SSR and walk to DTD....taking up more parking spaces at SSR. Right now it's REALLY easy to get into SSR. We just told the gate we were going to talk to our guide...no questions asked, we got in. I didn't even think about walking to DTD from there...but, I am sure some people will. The parking spaces nearest the walkway may become a real hot commodity.

Beca

if the price of transportation is put into a multi day ticket ,then why do i have to pay a transportation fee of $95 dollars when trading into DVC via II.Shouldn't this be free because I bought a 5 day pass?

STEVEMED said:
if the price of transportation is put into a multi day ticket ,then why do i have to pay a transportation fee of $95 dollars when trading into DVC via II.Shouldn't this be free because I bought a 5 day pass?

That is because owners pay twice....once when they buy their park tickets, and once in their yearly dues. And, also...just because WDW CAN charge you that!! ;)

Beca

Yep, proximity to DTD is a mixed blessing. I anticipate lots of pool crashing activity as well from DTD hotels and locals given the close parking.

Sorry SSR owners/guest have to deal with it.

beca,

Doesn't someone who stays in a Disney Resort and purchases admission pay twice as well?

Beca said:
I think we agree that something needs to be done. It's just a matter of what. To you, your idea seems great. However, I afraid that the businesses at DTD have more pull than the owners of SSR...and, that will never happen. I could be wrong.

Beca

absolutely. you are completely correct. i see 4 possible solutions

1) I mean either reduce the amount of people parking at DTD for free by charging thereby eliminating their need to connect via SSR

2) or if you dont want to charge for parking get the busses running directly from DTD to parks thereby cutting out SSR

3) or do not allow non resort guests to use the walkway or boats to DTD

4) WDW subsidizes the transportation costs for SSR and they add more busses

i just cant see not allowing non resort guests on certain busses, its too hard to enforce, patrol, and people probably just wouldnt get it

DrBond007 said:
Yep, proximity to DTD is a mixed blessing. I anticipate lots of pool crashing activity as well from DTD hotels and locals given the close parking.

Sorry SSR owners/guest have to deal with it.

ok then that makes it definate, no non resort guests on the walkway to DTD. i am pretty easy going on vacation and not much bothers me, but that would be about as much as I could bare if i came down to the pool and it was full of locals or off site guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter