Renting Points?

purple250

Mouseketeer
I am currently in the process of buying into DVC for the first time and have several questions. How many times a year are you allowed to rent your points out to someone? I was told one time a year by my guide. Is this correct? I just want to keep the number in mind in case I want to rent to relatives when I am unable to use my points.

Also, can someone share their experience with using DVC points to stay at one of the hundreds of resorts outside of disney that DVC offers (i.e. using DVC points to book a hotel in Las Vegas?) Is the process difficult? Do you generally get the hotel you want? Does this require a lot more points than staying in a Disney hotel? Do prices for these resorts go up? Can you generally get a week vacation in one of the non DVC resorts with 160 points?

Thaks so much for the help :goodvibes

There currently isn't a rental limit.

Despite what Disney may lead you to believe, most owners don't use their points for stays outside of the DVC. There are other cheaper ways to stay at other locations.

:earsboy: Bill

To clarify, renting means making a reservation with your points no someone else's name. For most people there currently is no practical limit on that. DVC takes a hard look at people making more than 20 rentals a year.

There IS a limit of one per use year for transfers of points into another member's account. We are limited to one point transfer, in or out, not both, per use year.

The ease of trades to outside resorts is not something I have experience with, but they are done through RCI, a timeshare trading company. Basically an owner at your desired resort has to deposit a week into RCI, so availability will certainly vary depending upon location and the habits of the owners of that resort. I've heard that the earlier you can plan and deposit your points into RCI and begin a trade search, the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter