• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting points or booking through DVC

mjtatman

DIS Veteran
We are coming for a super quick trip the first week in December. I've heard of people using a company to rent their points. If my math is correct, I'd save $547 using this company. I've always booked through WDW and am VERY nervous about bookign through anyone else. Has anyone done this? Is there another feed that asks this similar question? Pros? Cons? Looks like I can do the same thing, but using an outside company would save me almost $550....but I'm still very apprehensive. I have until next week to cancel my WDW vacation and use this company if I want to move forward. Thoughts? Ideas?

If you are talking about renting points THIS upcoming December it won't matter because you are just out of luck. All DVC rooms for that time frame have been booked for months - early December is the most popular time of the year for DVC members to book. DVC typically requires making your reservations pretty far in advance (7-11 months). 11 months can even be hard to get for some resorts/rooms especially during Oct - Dec.

You may find some availability through Disney direct (although it is just the regular Disney resort bookings - not through DVC itself). That inventory is separate from the DVC member inventory.

If you are talking about renting points THIS upcoming December it won't matter because you are just out of luck. All DVC rooms for that time frame have been booked for months - early December is the most popular time of the year for DVC members to book. DVC typically requires making your reservations pretty far in advance (7-11 months). 11 months can even be hard to get for some resorts/rooms especially during Oct - Dec.

You may find some availability through Disney direct (although it is just the regular Disney resort bookings - not through DVC itself). That inventory is separate from the DVC member inventory.

well then this may be a moot point! the agent i was chatting with seemed to make it sound like they would be able to get something, but again, they didn't guarantee anything! however, if they were to find me something, is this something that a lot of people have a lot of good luck with?

well then this may be a moot point! the agent i was chatting with seemed to make it sound like they would be able to get something, but again, they didn't guarantee anything! however, if they were to find me something, is this something that a lot of people have a lot of good luck with?

We have had great experiences and know of others that have also. I don't know of anyone that hasn't had a good experience. We have used David's and the DVCRentalStore. You can get an even less expensive stay by renting directly from a DVC owner, but we were leery of that our first couple times. We felt better going through a reputable business that has been doing the point rentals for quite a while. But our next trip we are going to try to rent directly from an owner.

We've used a point broker 3 times now....twice for a studio at BLT and once for a studio at WLV.....I rather trust a third person than and individual....it's quite easy, one company doesn't ask for money up from to check availability, easy on line calculator to see how many points needed, and now offer trip insurance....

We've had nothing but great stays, no hassles and good follow ups....catch is rooms go fast, once quoted they can not hold till you make your mind up, and there is no housekeeping until the 4 day and only towels and trash....we didn't mind...

We have used a private seller/renter 3 times now, and had friends use them 3 times as well. All without any issues at all. Leaving on Wed (14th) for 9 days, staying at 3 resorts (One night at AK, just to try it out, 2 nights at Poly because wife wants to stay-have lake view, and then 5 nights at BWV because of Food and Wine), all reservations were through the owner of the points and they go above and beyond in helping with requests, waitlists etc. If allowed, feel free to send me a message for the name. Price for this trip was $13.50 a point. If not, my apologies and delete this post.

...the agent i was chatting with seemed to make it sound like they would be able to get something, but again, they didn't guarantee anything! ...
That just suggests to me that the agent doesn't have much familiarity with DVC booking patterns. Generally most times of year you can find something, but early Dec. is very hard to book this late in the game. I've been checking the availability tool a couple of times a day for Dec. openings for several months and there's generally only an isolated night here or there which disappears fast, for example, I checked the availability tool just now and there is not a single night available at any WDW DVC for a studio for the first week of Dec.. Availability does change but there's probably people with wait lists who have first dibs on anything that opens up this late in the game.

PLUS, do not purchase a fixed reservation that books you seven nights, starting Fri, Sat or Sun. It may very well be an RCI trade and it is illegal to sell those reservations. Both RCI and DVC forbid that and can cancel the reservation. You'd need a reservation from a member using their points.

We rented points through someone over on the DVC boards, and it worked out really well and went very smoothly. She sent me all the confirmation info as soon as she received it. We haven't left yet, so obviously I can't be 100% sure it will work, but so far it's been great. We got a great price too.

I've rented points from my friend and it has been worth it every time. If I were to rent from someone I think for safety I would use David's. The price points my friend charged gave us Deluxe resorts at moderate pricing. I am going for a night in Feb and when she looked there was nothing for the one night we needed. They book fast. So December there is a slim chance you will find something. Good luck.

So how long in advance should one be prepared for? If I wanted to go in early June to one of the more "thrifty" locations, when would you all say I would be out of luck (most likely) by?

So how long in advance should one be prepared for? If I wanted to go in early June to one of the more "thrifty" locations, when would you all say I would be out of luck (most likely) by?
David's has a "when to book" section. However, I am not sure how accurate it is..
I'd love to know the answer to this as well, as we are also looking at late may/early june and hoping for a dvc rental.

one company doesn't ask for money up from to check availability, easy on line calculator to see how many points needed, and now offer trip insurance....

If it's the company I'm thinking of, then strictly speaking, it's not trip insurance in the sense of insuring the entire trip. It's just a cancellation plan on the DVC rental that allows you to get back most or all of the rental fee (but never the fee for the cancellation plan). Nevertheless, it's what I'm planning on getting, because 11 months is a long time.

David's has a "when to book" section. However, I am not sure how accurate it is..
Their major competitor has a similar section, organized slightly differently. Comparing the two web sites should give a reasonable feeling for how far in advance you need to book.

I've rented from people I have found on another message board several times, in fact I booked a trip today for 3 nights at SSR and 3 nights at VWL for early January. My nightly rate averages out to be $145!! There is a chance if you can be flexible in your dates and willing to do a split stay!

DVC members can book their home resort at 11 months out- you will want to arrange a point rental prior to that if you want a high demand booking- this includes: Value rooms at AKV, club level at AKV, standard and boardwalk views at BWV, anything at GFV, standard or theme park view at Bay Lake, most rooms at BCV, PVB. This is especially important for the high DVC demand seasons- basically beginning of October- first week of January.

DVC members can book ANY resort at 7 months out- (whatever is remaining after members have taken advantage of home resort booking)- typically the easiest to get are anything at Saratoga, OKW (with the exception of HH booking), Animal Kingdom Villas

Wilderness Lodge- since its under renovation there seem to be a few more openings- but not a ton.

If you are going to rent points for DVC- the earlier the better.

For a week in early June 2016- you would have wanted to book in July 2015 if you wanted a chance at the value studios at AKV (least expensive option)

For a standard studio at AKV, SSR, OKW you will be ok booking in November.

DVC members can book their home resort at 11 months out- you will want to arrange a point rental prior to that if you want a high demand booking- this includes: Value rooms at AKV, club level at AKV, standard and boardwalk views at BWV, anything at GFV, standard or theme park view at Bay Lake, most rooms at BCV, PVB. This is especially important for the high DVC demand seasons- basically beginning of October- first week of January.

DVC members can book ANY resort at 7 months out- (whatever is remaining after members have taken advantage of home resort booking)- typically the easiest to get are anything at Saratoga, OKW (with the exception of HH booking), Animal Kingdom Villas

Wilderness Lodge- since its under renovation there seem to be a few more openings- but not a ton.

If you are going to rent points for DVC- the earlier the better.

For a week in early June 2016- you would have wanted to book in July 2015 if you wanted a chance at the value studios at AKV (least expensive option)

For a standard studio at AKV, SSR, OKW you will be ok booking in November.

What about for a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk Villas or Beachclub? Think we'll be okay booking in the next week or two? Would we be okay booking at the 7 month mark?
Is the 7th month mark dated by the first date of your trip, or the last?

What about for a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk Villas or Beachclub? Think we'll be okay booking in the next week or two? Would we be okay booking at the 7 month mark?
Is the 7th month mark dated by the first date of your trip, or the last?

You will probably be ok with the 7 month mark for BW preferred view (standard books pretty quickly) and maybe BC...1 bedrooms do not book quite as quickly as studios and 2 bedrooms. The 7 month window is from the first day of your trip.

You will probably be ok with the 7 month mark for BW preferred view (standard books pretty quickly) and maybe BC...1 bedrooms do not book quite as quickly as studios and 2 bedrooms. The 7 month window is from the first day of your trip.
Dumb question.... :rolleyes1
But anyone know, do the months go by 30 day markers? or by the same date each month? So if we're checking in on June 1, would Nov 1 be our 7 month out booking date?

Dumb question.... :rolleyes1
But anyone know, do the months go by 30 day markers? or by the same date each month? So if we're checking in on June 1, would Nov 1 be our 7 month out booking date?
They go by months, not 30-day increments. The 7-month booking date for June 1, 2016 will be Nov. 1, 2015.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter