• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

renting points and MDE app

Kingdome8

DIS Veteran
Thinking of renting points next summer to try beach club or Boardwalk

Question is if I rent points can I still link the reservation on the app? And does it really matter?
I would still buy tickets and memory maker thru Disney.

Will I still be able to use magic band for all perks like spending.

Lastly still get free parking with at parks with renting points?

Was thinking of buying dvc possibly.

I am renting points and as soon as I got the reservation number I was able to link it to MDE. You also get the magicbands

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Once the reservation is made, you can link it (as a resort res) into MDE. You'll get parking as any other resort guest. It DOES matter that its linkable, because that gets you your 180+10 & 60 day windows.

But once the res is made, that piece of it is just like staying directly in a Disney resort. (Other pieces are different, of course.)

HTH! :-)

I have rented points 3 times. You will have all the same perks as regular onsite guests - free parking, magic bands, 180+10 dining reservations, 60 days FP+. You can link the reservation through MDE with the confirmation number from the owner and can use your MB for spending with deluxe limits. Differences are no housekeeping everyday (trash and towel on day 4, full cleaning on 8), though you can pay for it if you want. Also you can't make changes/requests to your reservation, you'll have to go through the owner.

Thanks. Rented once before magic bands.

Last few trips all thru Disney.

Looking at buying dvc. Just can't decide.
I see 1900 for a week at beach club studio if rent. Seems cheap. I guess have to look at 50 year picture

Thanks. Rented once before magic bands.

Last few trips all thru Disney.

Looking at buying dvc. Just can't decide.
I see 1900 for a week at beach club studio if rent. Seems cheap. I guess have to look at 50 year picture
BCV isn't a 50-year picture, however. BCV contracts expire in 2042. BCV is also a small resort, so if it's a place you want to stay regularly, you really do need a BCV contract.

BCV isn't a 50-year picture, however. BCV contracts expire in 2042. BCV is also a small resort, so if it's a place you want to stay regularly, you really do need a BCV contract.

True. Was just talking with dvc rep. They said they have a resale option too that still gets all the perks.

True. Was just talking with dvc rep. They said they have a resale option too that still gets all the perks.

Buying BCV direct is pound-foolish. The perks are rarely worth the cost difference. The cost difference is insane ($160 direct vs. $105-115/pp resale). And the contract still expires in 2042.

Do a lot of research. Don't drink any Kool-Aid.

DVC doesn't sell resale. They sell points that they have gotten back from Right of First Refusal or foreclosure on sold out resorts. Or the non-sold out resorts as well. The price they quote for an older resort they are not currently selling (all but Polynesian and Aulani) is way higher than you would pay buying a true resale from a company specializing in DVC resales.

You can always buy a 25 point direct add-on purchase to get the perks if you want them that badly to add to your resale purchase.

So if u buy resale. Then buy 25 point add on u still get the perks? They were saying a lot of restrictions were put on resale. But would 25 points get around all restrictions?

So if u buy resale. Then buy 25 point add on u still get the perks? They were saying a lot of restrictions were put on resale. But would 25 points get around all restrictions?
Not all of them, but any of them that actually have any value. It would give you access to AP discounts and the member lounges.

You still couldn't book a cruise with the points, but the non-DVC-unit swaps of points are terrible values and you would be better served by renting your resale points and booking most other things with the cash proceeds.

And some of the DVC guides are claiming that resale can't change at 7 months, etc. etc. They're lying. That's not something DVD can easily eliminate, and it would destroy the economics of the entire system (including direct points).

DVC is a real estate interest, and the purchase should be based on that real estate, and not on ephemeral perks that can be eliminated at no notice. For instance, one of the "restricted!" perks right now is the new Epcot lounge. Predict that lounge is gone in roughly 24-36 months, tops, as it is in space that will be redeveloped when they start in on Epcot.

. . . . Differences are no housekeeping everyday (trash and towel on day 4, full cleaning on 8), though you can pay for it if you want. . . .

Actually if you are staying in a DVC villa 8 nights or more it is full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8. For trips that are less than 8 nights, you get trash and towel on day 4. Check in day is day 1.

Actually if you are staying in a DVC villa 8 nights or more it is full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8. For trips that are less than 8 nights, you get trash and towel on day 4. Check in day is day 1.

We've never stayed in one unit longer than 7 days ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter