Renewal price for Preferred AP?

Really ...I've had an AP since 2010 and I don't remember a price increase in all that time. You can't deny that there have been ongoing significant improvements each year. I expected a price increase long before this with the new additions to the parks.

It only increased by $65 before tax for me as a GA resident so I'm still going to renew as it's well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well it was time for our renewal this week and after a lot of thought, we decided after 10+ years of being US/IOA AP holders (preferred), we are not renewing. That $100 increase per person was just too much for us to justify. We were going less and less. I think we only went 2 times last year, maybe 3 times the year before. We will miss going to City Walk since we had free parking. We may buy new passes in the future, but doing the yearly renewal is off the table for us now. It was a no brainer when the renewal was $109 a year, even when it was $159 last year, but $259 was not a deal for us. It was nice while it lasted.

Well it was time for our renewal this week and after a lot of thought, we decided after 10+ years of being US/IOA AP holders (preferred), we are not renewing. That $100 increase per person was just too much for us to justify. We were going less and less. I think we only went 2 times last year, maybe 3 times the year before. We will miss going to City Walk since we had free parking. We may buy new passes in the future, but doing the yearly renewal is off the table for us now. It was a no brainer when the renewal was $109 a year, even when it was $159 last year, but $259 was not a deal for us. It was nice while it lasted.

did you receive an email link from them as to renewal? DH & I both able to take advantage of it last year...referenced $100 off if clicking thru the link - $159+ for Preferred AP renewal. I didn't renew until October and still got the discounted price but after reading others paid increased price might've been a lucky fluke.

I'll think twice about renewing both passes if no deal too, especially since I have some stockpiled tickets I can use for the 2nd person. I'm happy enough with the AP discounts on the onsite rooms, not so to see cheaptickets often have rates lower than the AP ones over last year

Combined with Disney's new AP pricing, even with DVC discount, there will be some cutting back somewhere for us this year.

Picked up the black friday SW/Aquatica BOGO free APs, might be using them more than anticipated

did you receive an email link from them as to renewal? DH & I both able to take advantage of it last year...referenced $100 off if clicking thru the link - $159+ for Preferred AP renewal. I didn't renew until October and still got the discounted price but after reading others paid increased price might've been a lucky fluke.

I'll think twice about renewing both passes if no deal too, especially since I have some stockpiled tickets I can use for the 2nd person. I'm happy enough with the AP discounts on the onsite rooms, not so to see cheaptickets often have rates lower than the AP ones over last year

Combined with Disney's new AP pricing, even with DVC discount, there will be some cutting back somewhere for us this year.

Picked up the black friday SW/Aquatica BOGO free APs, might be using them more than anticipated

We only got the renewal letter. We officially expire this week. I called and got the prices, and also checked online. We have been AP holders well before that Harry fella moved in. We are not fans, but enjoy the classic attractions. I did write them a letter. It was nice and told them exactly why we were ending our long term "relationship". I know we are only 2 tiny dots to them, but it made me feel better. We'll be back one day, but renewing no longer fits our travel patterns any more. Yes, with the Disney AP increases and changes along with the outragest TIW increase, there had to be cut backs. At least airfare is pretty good! I will keep my eye out for an annual pass special in the future. If you see one, keep me in mind!

Reactions: HM
Yes, but if you skip a year, it's cheaper buying new in our case. We would renew now in January, but won't be here again until May. We will be better off doing the October, May, October route in the future.

Definitely cheaper to skip a year of renewal if you don't plan on going during that year.

Hey, I'm with all of you guys. The price hikes to keep up with Disney are crazy. You would think they would say no and use the Disney hike to promote them as being better for less.

And Universal only has 2 parks but seems like you're paying for 4 like Disney

New preferred AP costs $334.99 plus taxes. Renewal preferred AP costs $259.99. That is still a huge savings over purchasing new.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Annual-Passes/Renew.aspx

My apologies as I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I was hoping for some insight on my renewal situation. We are currently FL resident power pass holders (4 of us). Our passes expire June 4th. Since kids get out of school later this year, we will be visiting during a blackout period in summer so when we renew, would be getting preferred passes, which I believe are around $299 currently. If we upgraded our passes to preferred now (and we would only do this if we visited during blackout in March this year), would we pay the difference of what we paid for power passes ($189) to the current $299 (so $100 a person)? But then when we renew, it would only be $259 a person to renew a preferred? We are just trying to determine if we should just upgrade now or renew and upgrade in June. Any advice on this issue is appreciated. Thanks!

And no more 8 free bottles of water with the Premier pass.

Just renewed two Premier passes in October and got the free water. Even though they discontinued that, between the free valet parking, two Horror Night tickets, the 10%-20% discount on almost everything, really good APH hotel discounts and express pass after 4:00pm, I definitely feel as if I'm still getting a great bang for my buck.

No blockout pass at WDW is $749. No blockout pass at Universal is $334. I'm not quite getting your logic.
That's non Florida resident price. My Disney AP is not $749 and includes parking and all 4 parks and has no blockout dates and includes photopass

Last edited:
My apologies as I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I was hoping for some insight on my renewal situation. We are currently FL resident power pass holders (4 of us). Our passes expire June 4th. Since kids get out of school later this year, we will be visiting during a blackout period in summer so when we renew, would be getting preferred passes, which I believe are around $299 currently. If we upgraded our passes to preferred now (and we would only do this if we visited during blackout in March this year), would we pay the difference of what we paid for power passes ($189) to the current $299 (so $100 a person)? But then when we renew, it would only be $259 a person to renew a preferred? We are just trying to determine if we should just upgrade now or renew and upgrade in June. Any advice on this issue is appreciated. Thanks!

that's how its been reported others have experienced the process, should work fine for you

To be clear you want to do the following:

pay the current upgrade $ when you visit the parks in March (Preferred pass is backdated to original purchase date),

then, in June, you renew the Pref AP at whatever the then-renewal price is at that point.

That's non Florida resident price. My Disney AP is not $749 and includes parking and all 4 parks and has no blockout dates and includes photopass

To fairly compare the $ amounts you need to look at current pricing.

your 'current' FL AP, when it comes to renewal time, will berestructured to one of thedifferent options:

Silver, Gold, Platinum & Platinum plus. I am still wrapping my head around this hot mess>:(

you can find accurate pricing on allears, but the below list is rough pricing for the new WDW initial price/renwal rates, first for non FL, then FL residents

Platinum Plus: $776/676 FL/DVC: $691/584
Gold: FL/DVC: $585/$497
Silver: FL: $414/351

I wish DVC members would be able to purchase the Silver pass. it does have rather extensive black out dates, but at least the options is there for FL residents.

Even so, Universal passes are less than half comparable WDW passes and no where near the price of paying for 4 parks like at WDW as you stated. Universal passes are still very comparable to paying for 2 parks when you compare them to WDW and way less when you compare them to the two park annual passes at DL.

Ok look, Lets say as an example I'm paying on the monthly payment plan (fake number) $25 a month for my Disney AP and $24 a month for my Universal AP. Disney 4 parks Universal 2 parks at almost the same price

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, yes that is how it works. Except it is currently 224.99 to renew a preferred for FL residents.

Ok look, Lets say as an example I'm paying on the monthly payment plan (fake number) $25 a month for my Disney AP and $24 a month for my Universal AP. Disney 4 parks Universal 2 parks at almost the same price

If that is true, then yes, I agree with you.

WDW platinum --- down payment $112.00 and 12 monthly payment $48 ($691)
Universal preferred --- down payment $159.00 11 monthly payment $14 ($299)

WDW platinum plus --- down payment $112 and 12 monthly payment $55 ($776)
Universal premium --- down payment $228 and 11 monthly payment $21 ($429)

Last edited:
If that is true, then yes, I agree with you.

WDW platinum --- down payment $112.00 and 12 monthly payment $48 ($691)
Universal preferred --- down payment $159.00 11 monthly payment $14 ($299)

WDW platinum plus --- down payment $112 and 12 monthly payment $55 ($776)
Universal premium --- down payment $228 and 11 monthly payment $21 ($429)

Thank you :) Have a Disney day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter