Remember "they" aren't always like that - but sometimes people are.

MICKEYFIL

Mouseketeer
I have heard it on this board and I heard it a lot in the parks. Didn't matter what group it was, the other people hated them and the line was always the same. "People with strollers are always cutting you off" - "People on those scooters are always getting in the way" - "People are always walking in front of my stroller" etc, etc, etc. I know that 99 percent of the time I was really good walking through the park with my kids. I try and be aware and courteous, but even I know I pissed a few people off.

All of these lines are hilarious to me because they are generalizations, but these generalizations come from incidents and let me tell you, I have got a good one. While waiting near the Star Tours ride, a person on a electronic mobile scooter let their eight year old grandson (I assume) stand in front of them while they sat on it and let them play with the controls. The kid floored it and crashed into the line up of people waiting to enter with fastpasses. I sat there and thought, that poor lady was probably the kindest sweetest person all day and then one bone head lapse of judgement and suddenly everyone (and trust me I heard them) was cursing the existence of the devices. I thought about it again a few days later when I walked in front of someone pushing a stroller while dragging my DS5 behind me. Sometimes we are those people.

I think packing patience is a good idea when you visit the park. The problem is you have to own patience first in order to bring it with you. Some people simply have none.

Yes, that was a bone headed idea - letting kids play with your glasses or smart phone is one thing but an electrical scooter, which can physically harm people, is another entirely. With the litigious society that is the U.S.A, they are lucky all they left with were some mean comments!

DLR is a busy place and it's only getting busier and that makes strollers and scooters a nuisance to those who do not need, or choose not to use them. While we realize they are a neccesity when people have mobility challenges or have small children, that does not remove the fact they can challenge the patience one brings. We were in Fantasyland once when my DD suggested it should be called Strollerville instead!

I dislike strollers because they are notorious for causing 'standstill traffic'.

I get parents get distracted because of a child crying, figuring out where to go, Oh this one's hungry now etc. I understand that. What I just wish people would do is pull over to the side and figure it out instead of stopping in the way of a bunch of moving people. A thing in motion tends to stay in motion. So while the person or people immediately behind them may stop in time, the rest of the mass has all but crashed into each other. It is the same when you're driving, if you just stop in the middle of moving traffic, you will cause an accident.

Additionally, pushers of strollers need to realize how far out their strollers stick out in front of them. You might not be close but as you are inching your way through a crowd, your stroller has jammed people in the ankles or run over some feet. It turns out to be an extension of your body.

This all being said from a person who has pushed MANY a stroller and realizing that DLR without a stroller is SO freeing. Thankfully the little is not a runner and is content hanging with her auntie.

The thing about motorized scooters or ECVs is that the drivers using them are not always normal users so they often don't know the 'power' of the machine; how sensitive the go and stop functions are so I do not always fault them. There are a few who are just not considerate of everyone else around them.

If your child decides to run in front of a scooter (i'm talking perpendicular here) you shouldn't be mad at the scooter, you should be talking to your child. As in crossing a street, they need to check before crossing opposing traffic.

I honestly had more problems with rest of who makes up the crowd my trip in January, there was only one incident I can recall out of my two week trip that I had any problems with strollers. But I cannot list how many other problems I've had with other guests. I literally never stayed in the parks past 3pm except once to watch a parade.

Honestly during my two weeks in January I had more problems with:

-People who shove and don't stay to the right with the rest of the flow.

-People chat or text in the line and don't pay attention to the line making lines seem even slower... I mean will literally every five minutes have to be informed the line has moved without them or you'd be stuck in that spot all night.

-Groups feel the need to walk side by side in congested areas and seem to think others should make way for them. Or the opposite where group members will go every different direction and then realize they've separated and regroup in front of ongoing traffic, and repeat the process til they get to their destination...

-Parents let young children roam free, and they being children get distracted every five seconds forcing the unfortunate guest behind them to pause every other minute while the mother instructs their child. This I understand though it's a long day parents need a break and don't want to carry heavy children... But at the very least hold your child's hand or direct them in some way...

-buzz kill guests who either trash talk Disney/the staff in the line or maybe talk about how much they hate your favorite attraction, or just are unpleasant in general.

These are a few of the negative sides of Disney but honestly the positive outweighs this sooo much that it balances the energy. And like the OP said not all guests are like this it just seems that way.

I do not like to be in the parks past 3pm but it also gives me time to do the nondisney things I love... So it personally for me works out. I also should add I tend to go to Disney solo so maybe in a group I'd feel differently...

D I S (claimer)
Just to clarify everything I listed is only problems when the park is extremely busy, except the buzzkill guests, lol. These are just things that annoy me at the parks personally, that may be irrational or stupid but I guess that would really be any reason that causes annoyance...

For every 1 bothersome guest there are at least 100 other wonderful guests to make up for it.

Last edited:
-People chat or text in the line and don't pay attention to the line making lines seem even slower... I mean will literally every five minutes have to be informed the line has moved without them or you'd be stuck in that spot all night.

-Groups feel the need to walk side by side in congested areas and seem to think others should make way for them. Or the opposite where group members will go every different direction and then realize they've separated and regroup in front of ongoing traffic, and repeat the process til they get to their destination...

I don't see how that makes the line move slower. In most queues no one can just hop in to fill the gap. Unless they get distracted and don't move up right when the CM is sorting guests and the vehicle leaves with empty spots, you'll catch up before the end of the queue.

I have no problem with 2 people walking side by side in the walkways. I've found that when we walk front and back people will just shove between us, often with a stroller or ECV. It's usually not a huge deal, but if we get separated one always has to catch back up, or the other is always looking back to make sure someone didn't stop. And then if more people cut in, we're even further apart. It still happens walking side by side, but from experience, if I'm in the park with someone else, it just works out better to walk side by side if moving from point A to point B together. If other people are in such a hurry that they can't go with the flow of walking in congested areas or need to pass people in walkways then that's their issue to deal with. The answer shouldn't be a scatter system from people traveling together.

I just had an incident today with a stroller. I was walking through a store with an item to purchase when a woman, who hadn't been moving until I was about to pass in front of her stroller lurched it forward and completely blocked the path between 2 displays after I had one foot in between those displays. It was a jogging stroller with a giant wheel sticking out, which hit me on one leg and the other tripped on the wheel as I finished the step. And then as I was trying to catch myself from knocking over anything she had the audacity to tell me I was blocking her when I was trying my best not to fall on her kid! I was sure she saw me coming because I had looked to the side as I approached and saw that she wasn't moving and I thought we made eye contact. But on top of that, you hit a person with your stroller, why isn't your first instinct to say "Sorry," even if you don't think it's your fault. Bump someone, apologize, it should be second nature. After my friend asked if I was ok and she made no move to pull the stroller back to make it easy for me to disentangle myself from the wheel and the display I flat out told her that she had a foot and a half protruding wheel that she rammed me with. Dropped the item I was planning to buy and left. And then later when we were walking towards the tram, side by side a woman with a double stroller shoved between us, clipping me. I stopped, went around her, and joined my friend on the other side. Then they decided that they needed to veer in front of us while making rude comments, again, about how I hit their stroller. We still got to the tram loading area ahead of them, and they tried to cut us off again, but we just stood in the loading area. And then when the tram came, they had to wait for the front anyway and we didn't, so we got on first and the guy who wasn't pushing the stroller complained, with a word that would be filtered if I typed it. Your massive double stroller, which your kids are still in can't fit in the regular rows. Are we supposed to not take the tram because some people who got there after us (despite their best efforts) needs a certain row that we weren't preventing them from using? I still overall had a great day today, but that lady in the store stuck with me because it was scary for a moment when I wasn't sure if I was going to fall and when I looked at her stroller, that wheel really was sticking out there like a battering ram.

I personally can't stand when people bring their strollers into the stores. There is little room in there to begin with and then when you have a double wide knocking into shelves and cloging up the walkways it makes it worse. Park it outside like you do when you go on an attraction.

Hrrrmm...2 instances on 2 different trips come to mind. Most recently, we had just entered the park on a Halloween Party night and my 7yo did cut off someone on their scooter. I corrected her (OK, semi-hollered in a parental way) to be mindful of where she was going and to not to jump in front of people. I DID NOT think it was cute or funny to have this so-and-so turn to me and tell me that she would have just run over my kid. Many choice non-Disney words and phrases still come to mind when I think about that one.

On another trip, we were cut off by a family w/ those obnoxious double-wides on our way to the train station. They then stop right in front of us somewhere along the back and forth, but not where other folks were actually standing in line, to break down their stroller. After watching their nonsense for a few seconds, I went around. Oh, you wouldn't believe all the passive-aggressive smack talk coming from the dad. Never mind his rudeness in cutting us off or just stopping well short of the line to deal w/ the stroller he should have broken down before even getting in line in the first place. Well, as the train taking a while to come, I happily bailed on that line when I saw the mono-rail arrive. Good times where then had at downtown Disney.

I don't see how that makes the line move slower. In most queues no one can just hop in to fill the gap. Unless they get distracted and don't move up right when the CM is sorting guests and the vehicle leaves with empty spots, you'll catch up before the end of the queue.

I have no problem with 2 people walking side by side in the walkways. I've found that when we walk front and back people will just shove between us, often with a stroller or ECV. It's usually not a huge deal, but if we get separated one always has to catch back up, or the other is always looking back to make sure someone didn't stop. And then if more people cut in, we're even further apart. It still happens walking side by side, but from experience, if I'm in the park with someone else, it just works out better to walk side by side if moving from point A to point B together. If other people are in such a hurry that they can't go with the flow of walking in congested areas or need to pass people in walkways then that's their issue to deal with. The answer shouldn't be a scatter system from people traveling together.
I said feel as if the line is moving slower, which it does for me. It's like being stuck in traffic and the car in front of you is texting causing the line to stop. It may not affect the destination but it does make it fairly unpleasant which was my point. Maybe I'm just impatient I suppose, which a day at Disney can definitely do to you. :)

And I agree that groups of two are perfectly reasonable but I'm talking about groups of five or more who walk side by side through busy bottle neck areas and expect to make it through without leaving each other's side. I'm assuming you visit or have visited numerous times so maybe you're immune to the feeling of rush that comes with visiting the parks a first time, but that's just a problem I had when I was at Disney I'm sure you've got you're own.

I said feel as if the line is moving slower, which it does for me. It's like being stuck in traffic and the car in front of you is texting causing the line to stop. It may not affect the destination but it does make it fairly unpleasant which was my point. Maybe I'm just impatient I suppose, which a day at Disney can definitely do to you. :)

I agree! I know it's irrational, but when a group doesn't move up EVERY TIME the line moves, it can start to annoy you. Even if you know it's not increasing your wait time. Happened to us in a very long line on a hot July day waiting for Grizzly River Rapids. I think the heat had something to do with my annoyance. :laughing:

I agree! I know it's irrational, but when a group doesn't move up EVERY TIME the line moves, it can start to annoy you. Even if you know it's not increasing your wait time. Happened to us in a very long line on a hot July day waiting for Grizzly River Rapids. I think the heat had something to do with my annoyance. :laughing:

I'm sorry because I am that person. I never do it when the line gets within a few minutes of loading onto the ride because I believe in trying to create maximum efficiency on people getting to use the ride in a day. However I will frequently stop and get something for the kids and sometimes the line gets ahead of me. However, what I try to do is instead of doing the rush up and stop method, I actually walk slowly up to the line trying to create and even flow of movement. I know it might sound weird but I would rather slowly move along then stop and start all the time.

I'm sorry because I am that person. I never do it when the line gets within a few minutes of loading onto the ride because I believe in trying to create maximum efficiency on people getting to use the ride in a day. However I will frequently stop and get something for the kids and sometimes the line gets ahead of me. However, what I try to do is instead of doing the rush up and stop method, I actually walk slowly up to the line trying to create and even flow of movement. I know it might sound weird but I would rather slowly move along then stop and start all the time.
That's completely understandable kids or not Disney can be very distracting, I am sure I've held up a line somewhere in Disney while on Instagram, or stopped groups for a selfie... lol

I am probably guilty at least once of everything I've listed... It happens.

And I actually do understand your line method! ...it's again a lot like being stuck in traffic, and in mornings when I'm full of patience I'm the exact same way I totally use that method. At the end of the day all the lines (food, tickets, rides, restrooms sometimes) mixed with the feeling of rush in the crowds makes every second feel like forever. It's another reason I'm not in the parks after three because I get grumpy and need a break, I'm like a toddler, lol.

I personally can't stand when people bring their strollers into the stores. There is little room in there to begin with and then when you have a double wide knocking into shelves and cloging up the walkways it makes it worse. Park it outside like you do when you go on an attraction.

I find this especially true in the Adventureland stores. WHY!?

When someone doesn't move with the line, I just look forward to the big move when they catch up. It's not like you can expect to move x steps for each car that loads. It's very dependent on the shifting spacing of the people in front. Sometimes hundreds of people in front. Or in a line like POTC when someone stops at the drinking fountain and people push past them... and then get all bent out of shape when the person at the drinking fountain tries to rejoin their party. I don't understand that. Either wait or be prepared to politely let them pass.

Nah... that's totally understandable especially with kids! The group doing this at GRR were all adults and just totally spacing out. Not even busy talking to eachother, just kept their backs turned to the line and every time they finally turned around seemed startled and hurried to catch up. It was almost comical.

I am with you. I try as hard as I can to walk through the crowds being as courteous as possible. But sometimes things happen and you think to yourself "Doh I just did exactly what I hate other people doing" I do try really hard though I always say excuse me and tell people I am sorry even if something wasn't entirely my fault. But for me using a stroller at Disneyland is the hardest thing to do, I feel like people automatically hate you, they automatically feel that you are a nuisance to them trying to get to where they want to go, even when I am trying my hardest to stay out of the way and move with the flow people still feel like you're in the way, but I couldn't do Disney without a stroller.

But for me using a stroller at Disneyland is the hardest thing to do, I feel like people automatically hate you, they automatically feel that you are a nuisance to them trying to get to where they want to go

As much as there is truth to this - hate is a strong word - it's the nuisance more than anything and it's a 1st world problem type of nuisance!! The other issue is when DL opened in the 50s, strollers were pretty much umbrella size - that was it - now they are these behemoth monstrosities, double wide with big tires, that take up the same foot print as 4 umbrella strollers used to. I think that is part of the problem and that has contributed to how congested the park can feel.

But I hear ya, how many times have I said "sorry" and then thought to myself later on, "wait a minute, that wasn't even my fault" but it's instinct to say it, and some people don't have that instinct and therein lies the problem.

Nah... that's totally understandable especially with kids! The group doing this at GRR were all adults and just totally spacing out. Not even busy talking to eachother, just kept their backs turned to the line and every time they finally turned around seemed startled and hurried to catch up. It was almost comical.
I had a similar group in line at hyper space mountain, they always turned their back to the direction of the line and would leave large gaps in the already over two hour long line. Not to mention the line was outside and freezing so it was already a very unpleasant line. The people behind them always had a bitter expression and would tap their feet so I'm sure we're not the only ones who get annoyed.

Like you said it was almost comical every other five minutes they would turn around shocked to see two clear rows between them and the rest of the line... And instead of paying attention they'd continue to repeat until they literally were loaded into the ride.

Thankfully I was in front of them.

I truly think those huge side by sides need to be banned. When I went with my very younger brothers and sis when they were 3&5. We had one little cheap $12 stroller with no undercarriage and they were ok sitting laps because if they didn't they walked. And we just carried a bif backpack with all our snacks.

Well I can admit that we've lagged in a queue before... our first trip to WDW, playing the interactive games in the queue at Space Mountain. We didn't notice the line had moved up until people started passing us. :laughing: We didn't play the games anymore after that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter