Recreating Memories- Surprise Mother & daughter trip

The DDP counts the # nights you'll be staying - so Mon-Thurs night = 4 TS, 4CS, and 4 Mickey Ice Cream Bars!!:lmao:

Since it's just you and your Mom, you may want to see what the additional cost would be to bump up to the Deluxe Dining Plan ... and then eat your way around the world ... :thumbsup2

And - if your shins are bothering you that much, go see a doctor to make sure you don't have a stress fracture ...

Off for my run (if my strained calf lets me ... :headache: )

Hey! Thanks for clarifying this up for me.....I'm bummed now, for some reason I was thinking it was for how many days you were there, not nights. Hmm...this is going put a damper on my plans for ADRs...decisions, decisions.....maybe I will look into the Deluxe plan....is that all sit downs? We've always done the basic....worth checking out anyways.

I think you're right, I think I will call the dr. they are really bothering me..and here we are almost a week after my race. They were okay come Wednesday but then I did this KILLER walk (almost all up hill, I swear!) and they were bothering me then and then running after Cole....:headache: I hope it's nothing major but don't want to ruin my chances of walking around the world! What happened to your calf? Everything okay? Hope your run went okay this morning!!:goodvibes

Hurrah for almost ADR time! I can make mine a few weeks after you! I don't think that park hours will be posted when I can make my ADRs so I'm not quite sure what to do. Maybe just look at the previous month and guess? :confused3 Disney is not making it easy! :headache:

Hope you have a great Memorial Day too!! :)

I know, it's so tough waiting, isn't it?:confused3 I'm really hoping by next week they will be posted, if not, I'm calling to see what insight I can get. I know for sure that MNSSHP is happening the 15 & 18th on my trip, so we know that we can't stay at MK those nights late....that's a start, right!!? lol!!:laughing:

Yay for ADR's! We're also doing 4 days of DDP and I'm soooooo excited!

It's getting close....between getting your flight and now getting close to making ADR's it really makes it SO much more real!!!:woohoo:

Love the new ticker! Your trip is coming up so quick :)
I hate waiting for hours and to make ADRs. Can't wait to see what you have planned when it is time though!

Thanks Lauren, nothing special,but nevertheless and new ticker!!;)

I know waiting is killing me....but once they are here I can plan!!!! I can't wait!:dance3:

Question of the day....has anyone done Deluxe dining vs. basic dining? We've always done basic...would love to hear from someone who has done both and what their thoughts were.....and if it was worth the price difference!!?:confused3

Thanks!!!:goodvibes

There are some reviews on the ears-to-ears site ...

Lots of food ...!!popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

But since you'll be spreading it out over another day, it may not be so "filling" ... :rotfl:

Hi! Thought I'd come over and join your PTR. Sounds like you will have fun...can't wait to hear more of the plans! Your mom must have been so surprised. Good idea to head into Boston the night before, we've done the 7AM flights several times and you have to get up soooo early! Love the pics from mother's day and congrats on the race!

Hi! Thought I'd come over and join your PTR. Sounds like you will have fun...can't wait to hear more of the plans! Your mom must have been so surprised. Good idea to head into Boston the night before, we've done the 7AM flights several times and you have to get up soooo early! Love the pics from mother's day and congrats on the race!

Hi Melissa!
Thanks for joining me!!!! You may (or may not...lol!!:laughing:) want to read my December TR, I was the same time as you were, maybe you're in some of my pics?!! LOL!!

I think the night before stay in Boston will be HUGE for us, 7 a.m. is very early, we did that with the boys last time.....3 a.m alarm clocks aren't fun, unless you're going to Disney, of course!!:laughing: But at least Mom & I will be well rested!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with Disney dining, I wanted to find out about Deluxe dining for our upcoming trip to see what the difference in cost would be and what we'd get. Well, I don't think it's happening....it's an add'l $384 for us and I'm not so sure we'd eat that much, especially in the heat and in just an extra day, I think we'd feel like we would HAVE to eat, you know?!! That's A LOT of food!!:eek: Although it would be nice not to have to pay out of pocket for the extra meals we will need but I dont' think we would break even there.

So...that leaves me with the basic dining, with is enough food for us ( I think!) and we'll most likely be paying out of pocket for a couple of meals. So what that breaks down to is.....4 snacks, 4 counter meals and 4 sit down meals.....which means I need to tweak my original map of meals....:sad2: Better to find out now than in a few weeks when I go to book my dining, right?!!

I also asked if there was any word on EMH, nothing yet, the CM said to try back in a couple of weeks...doesn't Disney know I'm ready to get this party started? LOL!!:laughing: I guess that's all that is new on the Disney front for now anyways...

This week is Lukey's last week of school....well, today was his last day of school and Thursday is his school picnic. Ethan won't be done until 6/19. And today I'm off to the dr. to have my shins looked at...they are giving me a lot of trouble and before I do more harm, we're going to get them checked out.:guilty: My friend wants to plan another 5K but until I know for sure that I can run again, I'm going to wait.

Hope you're all well!!!! And had a great Memorial day weekend!!!:goodvibes

Yikes about the extra cost. Good plan to stick with the basic.

Good luck with the doctor. I hope everything is ok and that the doctor can help you so you can feel better and do another race. I'm rooting for you. Let us know how it turns out.

I hope you found out everything was okay at the doctor! :eek:

The DDP kinda bugs me that it just goes by nights and you can't add on an extra meal or adjust it to be what you need it to be. My main suggestion is perhaps you can split a couple meals, and then you'd have some credits left for the last day. Some portions are certainly large enough to share, esp since you get the full entree + dessert.

Otherwise, Earl of Sandwich in DTD is one of the cheaper CS' ($5.95 for a sandwich), and for sit down meals, non-character breakfast buffets seem to give you the most food for your buck!

It drives me NUTTY that Disney doesn't always release their hours before people have their ADR window! It's just silly!! I tried to look at last years and adapt it from there, but ended up being off on a few and had to call back and hope for the best. Thankfully it all still did work out.

Yikes about the extra cost. Good plan to stick with the basic.

Good luck with the doctor. I hope everything is ok and that the doctor can help you so you can feel better and do another race. I'm rooting for you. Let us know how it turns out.

I hope you found out everything was okay at the doctor! :eek:

The DDP kinda bugs me that it just goes by nights and you can't add on an extra meal or adjust it to be what you need it to be. My main suggestion is perhaps you can split a couple meals, and then you'd have some credits left for the last day. Some portions are certainly large enough to share, esp since you get the full entree + dessert.

Otherwise, Earl of Sandwich in DTD is one of the cheaper CS' ($5.95 for a sandwich), and for sit down meals, non-character breakfast buffets seem to give you the most food for your buck!

It drives me NUTTY that Disney doesn't always release their hours before people have their ADR window! It's just silly!! I tried to look at last years and adapt it from there, but ended up being off on a few and had to call back and hope for the best. Thankfully it all still did work out.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you a quick update from the dr. They basically think I just over did it, but want me to take Ibuprofen for the next week (perscription) every 8 hours, wrap my shins in Ace bandages for compresssion, ice 20 minutes a day and do nothing more than walking. If in a week they aren't better, they will order x-rays. So....we'll see. I've been pretty much doing what they told me to do, other than the bandages, which I may add look LOVELY with shorts...lol!!:rotfl: Thankfully yesterday and today I can get away with wearing jeans since it's cold and rainy here in MA. :laughing:

Brook, thanks for the suggestions on splitting meals and Earl of Sandwich, those are great ideas! :thumbsup2 Never thought about splitting...do you think we could get away with doing that at sit down places?

Hmm, not a bad idea on looking at last years hours for EMH, will check that out....I just want to take advantage of EMH hours since we'll really only be in park once, you know? Although, do you guys think I'm NUTS for doing EMH days at each park since those park are typically more crowded on those days? I was just thinking that if we went in the a.m and then left later in the day for dinner or whatever, we could go back and take advantage of being out late..but maybe that's a dumb idea since I'll be with my 60 year old Mom and it will be more crowded? Thoughts? Ideas? :confused3 Thanks!!!!:hug:

Okay...time to get the party started here...I've had my 1st cup of coffee and the kiddos are getting up! Hope everyone has a great day!!:flower3:

Hey Kristen!

I just wanted to chiime in on EMH. Since this is our first time on-site, we're also going to take advantage of EMH. But most likely just early EMH. Since I have a young child, I just want to kick out Fantasyland asap. But since we don't have park hoppers, I don't see us visiting pm EMH. I've pretty much already decided what days are which park, so it's not going to matter much to me, I don't think......... (famous last words probably!!)

The dining plan debate - that's a tough one, but it sounds like you got it figured out in time to plan your meals.

For EMH, I looked at the pattern the previous year and previous month. It worked out pretty well for our plans.

Best of luck with the shins. I hope its just some overdoing it.

So - what are your dining ideas now that its getting closer?

Your plans seem great. My DH also asked if there was a dining plan with 3 meals- and I said there was.. but even though we usually bought something small for breakfast or ate something we brought- it seemed like we did eat a lot. I mean-we only have the regular dining plan- and you get a lot of food and I felt like I had to make myself eat it all.. hehe but it was great to have. idk if we will do the deluxe or not- it would be nice to have breakfast every morning but with how my trip just went- I know DH wouldn't be getting up any earlier.. and I like to be at the parks when they open- because you get first dibs on everything.. soo idk. We did do a character breakfast at 8am one day- and the good was awesome and it was nice to have breakfast- but DH didn't like having to get up soo early- to make it to the bus and stuff. so idk..

I hope your shins get better.. I messed up knee up at disney.. idk how.. it like under my knee hurts but only when I bend it.. its weird.. but its getting better.

Hey Kristen!

I just wanted to chiime in on EMH. Since this is our first time on-site, we're also going to take advantage of EMH. But most likely just early EMH. Since I have a young child, I just want to kick out Fantasyland asap. But since we don't have park hoppers, I don't see us visiting pm EMH. I've pretty much already decided what days are which park, so it's not going to matter much to me, I don't think......... (famous last words probably!!)

Thanks for your thoughts, we took advantage of early EMH with our boys, too, on our last trip-- or at early as we could anyways. We don't have park hoppers either this trip, so that's why I'm thinking we'd want to get there and stay all day, you know? Are you doing a PTR this trip??

The dining plan debate - that's a tough one, but it sounds like you got it figured out in time to plan your meals.

For EMH, I looked at the pattern the previous year and previous month. It worked out pretty well for our plans.

Best of luck with the shins. I hope its just some overdoing it.

So - what are your dining ideas now that its getting closer?

I think I will check out last years and August EMH schedule.....I know that MK will be closing 2 of the nights early for people without MNSSHP tix, like us, so that kind of narrows it down some for us....I think!:idea:

Might post my plans next (if the boys allow that!! LOL!!)....stay tuned!:3dglasses

Your plans seem great. My DH also asked if there was a dining plan with 3 meals- and I said there was.. but even though we usually bought something small for breakfast or ate something we brought- it seemed like we did eat a lot. I mean-we only have the regular dining plan- and you get a lot of food and I felt like I had to make myself eat it all.. hehe but it was great to have. idk if we will do the deluxe or not- it would be nice to have breakfast every morning but with how my trip just went- I know DH wouldn't be getting up any earlier.. and I like to be at the parks when they open- because you get first dibs on everything.. soo idk. We did do a character breakfast at 8am one day- and the good was awesome and it was nice to have breakfast- but DH didn't like having to get up soo early- to make it to the bus and stuff. so idk..

I hope your shins get better.. I messed up knee up at disney.. idk how.. it like under my knee hurts but only when I bend it.. its weird.. but its getting better.

It does seem like a LOT of food....3 meals plus 2 snacks!!!!!!!!!!! I would have to bring bigger clothes for the end of the week....lol!:rotfl: I think if we pack breakfast foods for the room, use the refillable mugs for our morning beverage, we'll be fine in the a.m. and then lunch and dinner are taken care of, plus a snack here and there...we should be fine. Since we're not getting there until noontime on the 1st day, we'll just need two meals then, so we'll hvae a snack carried over for our last day and then just pay out of pocket for one day, shouldn't be too bad. And then we can just eat CS meals wherever we are...should work out okay, I hope!!;)

What did you do to your knee? Everything okay??!!:confused3

Hi Kristen! I think you made the right choice going with basic DDP. Deluxe just seems like an extreme amount of food. I feel like the basic is even a bit much sometimes! Glad to hear that you got the shins looked at, I hope the Dr.'s orders work for you!!

Brook, thanks for the suggestions on splitting meals and Earl of Sandwich, those are great ideas! :thumbsup2 Never thought about splitting...do you think we could get away with doing that at sit down places?

Joe and I have split some meals at sit down places, they have never said we couldn't. I know I've read that a LOT here on the DIS too. I don't think there is ever a split charge either, which is nice!

I hope all the icing/bandages work! I can just picture the wraps with shorts. :rotfl: But hey, if it works, it'll be worth lookin' silly for a bit! And at least you don't have to walk around in public like that ever! :laughing:

We've never done morning EMH, but from what I have read, if you JUST do EMH and then leave when it starts to get busier/early afternoon-I think you will be fine. It does make the park busier, but it seems if you leave right before/after lunch, it's still good.

I'm all about splitting CS meals. In Jan, we ate at Sunshine Seasons for dinner. My DH and I split the rotisserie chicken with 2 sides. It was the perfect amount of food for us, and very delicious!:thumbsup2

Thanks for your thoughts, we took advantage of early EMH with our boys, too, on our last trip-- or at early as we could anyways. We don't have park hoppers either this trip, so that's why I'm thinking we'd want to get there and stay all day, you know? Are you doing a PTR this trip??

I WAS doing a PTR, but I cancelled it because it felt like every time I made an update, something big happened or it changed! I've decided they're bad luck for me becuz the same sorta thing happened last year! :rotfl:

Wonderful PTR! You have a beautiful family! I teared reading about how you surprised your mother. I'm a sucker for Mom & daughter stories. Can't wait to read more. :goodvibes

It does seem like a LOT of food....3 meals plus 2 snacks!!!!!!!!!!! I would have to bring bigger clothes for the end of the week....lol!:rotfl: I think if we pack breakfast foods for the room, use the refillable mugs for our morning beverage, we'll be fine in the a.m. and then lunch and dinner are taken care of, plus a snack here and there...we should be fine. Since we're not getting there until noontime on the 1st day, we'll just need two meals then, so we'll hvae a snack carried over for our last day and then just pay out of pocket for one day, shouldn't be too bad. And then we can just eat CS meals wherever we are...should work out okay, I hope!!;)

What did you do to your knee? Everything okay??!!:confused3

idk.. it just started hurting like behind my knee in the back of my leg.. whenever I bent down.. idk why it started hurting.. it slowly going away but still hurts a little.. its probably just stress from all the walking and stuff.. but what I don't get it I walk 4 1/2 miles a day.. its not like I went from doing nothing. who knows.

I hope you get better. :thumbsup2 your plans look so good so far. I am very excited your 90 day mark is coming up soon. Hope you get everything you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter