Rebel Alliance Roll call

Hi again!
I was wondering if anyone uses the Nike+ iPod app for keeping track of their time & miles? I've been using this on my iPod Touch since Nov. and it is a great way to stay motivated. My user name is the same and I'll post the link if anyone is interested in following me on the Nike site.
Hope everyone got in a good run or two this weekend!

Hi again!
I was wondering if anyone uses the Nike+ iPod app for keeping track of their time & miles? I've been using this on my iPod Touch since Nov. and it is a great way to stay motivated. My user name is the same and I'll post the link if anyone is interested in following me on the Nike site.

I'm using runkeeper for iphone because it uses GPS and from what I understand Nike+ uses just a pedometer? I'd like to see a link though.

I can't post a link yet, since I don't have 10 posts yet, but I'll post a link to my runkeeper account when I can.

Hi again!

Hi Barb!

I have been looking into this a bit but am still confused...do you need to get Nike shoes to do this? Do you just buy something that straps onto your shoe? Does it give you other information other than total time and how far you go? I know...new runner who doesn't know much about all the tools out there! :rolleyes1

I am using my iPod Touch and the C25K app. I would like more though. I would like something that would tell me my distance (both on my treadmill and when I run outside).

I would love to hear what you have to say about the Nike+.

I got 2 good runs in this weekend. We ran outside both days which was great (but cold...today it was 6° and a bit windy). DH runs with me. Today we started week 4 of our program and it was an adjustment to almost double the running part...a lot less walking today. I was surprised it was not horrible but we were in a really hilly area so some of it was a bit of a challenge. I also have a horrible cold coming on and that wasn't great either. Since I am running without any accessories, I have no clue how far I went...I just know that we completed 2 days of our program.

Jen, I think if you go to nikerunning.com they have some pretty good videos that explain nike+. I was looking into it.

Jen, I think if you go to nikerunning.com they have some pretty good videos that explain nike+. I was looking into it.

So funny, I was trying to page through the information on the nike site...but was too impatient to watch the video! It probably did have all the info I need.

I keep going round and round on what little gadget to buy. I am one of those people who love statistics and keeping track of information so the high tech ones look really appealing to me...but then I think if I can find a simple cheap gadget I could save some money. The other problem is that I don't want to buy something so simple that in the end, I end up buying something else.

So funny, I was trying to page through the information on the nike site...but was too impatient to watch the video! It probably did have all the info I need.

I keep going round and round on what little gadget to buy. I am one of those people who love statistics and keeping track of information so the high tech ones look really appealing to me...but then I think if I can find a simple cheap gadget I could save some money. The other problem is that I don't want to buy something so simple that in the end, I end up buying something else.

I love stats too. I think runkeeper really keeps me motivated because I can see my pace and distance and even a map while I'm running. It even lets you post your runs to facebook when you're done.

Hopefully, you're able to find a gadget. I think garmin makes some, but I don't know what they cost. They use GPS like runkeeper does though.

I have used Nike+ for a while now. It is easy to use and to me, very user friendly.

You can use the Nike system without a Nike shoe, but it does effect the accuracy of the system when you use the knock-off pouches rather than inserting the chip into the shoe.

The biggest thing I would say is find that you are comfortable with and what works for you. The more comfortable you are, the more you will be inclined to use the program.

Good Morning, Rebels! Sorry for the intrusion - I wanted to let you know that the Monday Mixer is back and this time, it has it's very own thread!

In spite of this weeks' question being all about ice cream, things are already starting to warm up at the W.I.S.H.-Wide Monday Mixer!

What is the Best Ice Cream Treat on WDW Property? Include a picture or a story, if you have one!

Come and join us - it's lots of fun! (plus, I'm about to bust out the beverages!) See you at the Mixer!

Jen: That is amazing that you lost 13 pounds this month. You must be doing something right. My DH recently bought a heart rate monitor and pedometer watch to use for inside running. It tracks things OK if you set up the pacing right. I have trouble with pedometers because I don’t have a very consistent stride if I am going different speeds. Oh well. But I think his was about $30. I know they had some on sale at Costco not long ago too. I have a Garmin 305 and I love it! It doesn’t work inside because I didn’t spend the extra $$$ for the foot pod, but it is so great. I have had it for over a year now and I can’t run without it. I even wear it on the treadmill to keep track of my heart rate and to time intervals. It beeps for me so I don’t have to keep my eye on the timer on the treadmill display (which makes time move so slow if you are watching!)

You may be cold because of the weight you have lost. I know when I lost weight a few years ago (which I gained back and more- YUCK) I noticed I was much colder. I lost some insulation!

Barb & Bob: It is fun to see where people are located. I was happy to see a couple of our team members living in the west half of the US. That should be fun to volunteer for the Full marathon. Someday if I make it to WDW for the marathon weekend I like the idea of volunteering for the full. It would be so fun with all the WISHers in the race.

Tiffany: I need to add weights to my routine, but I just don’t do it. I guess I fear the pain :confused3

Liam: I started running after watching my sister finish the DL half a couple years ago. She was so happy and it seemed like so much fun. I have enjoyed it, but it still doesn’t come naturally to me! I am pushing every step I run. I think I was built to be a walker.

J-sun: Sounds like you are already running faster than I am! You should be right on track to be ready for Dopey. Very impressive. I am not cool enough to have an iphone yet :rotfl2:

Chrissy: I am trying to add more running to my plan, but it has not been working lately. Hopefully when it warms up and I can get outside it will be easier.

Pat: :cool1: for making it through the run pain free! It is always good to take it slow when coming back from an injury.

Suzann: I am glad to have you on our team even if you are on the sideline for now! Sounds like you have a lot of information to share with the rest of us. I know I need as much expert advice as I can get!

AFM: Not a bad weekend for me. I got some badly needed sleep on Saturday morning instead of getting up early to run. So my run was cut short and I did 3 miles, but I was so happy with those 3. I am trying to find a pace I think I can keep up for 13.1 miles in a couple weeks. I may have found it. I will be slower than I hoped, but hopefully faster than my last ½ (which was 3:00 all walking). I think if I can add a little running without hurting myself (I have horrible knees! They were just built wrong) then I can improve my time. I don’t have dreams of ever being able to run an entire race, just not possible with these legs, but I hope to be able to add a little bit of variation now and then.

I got on the treadmill on Sunday too and had a surprise. I was watching a movie, so the lights in my exercise room were turned down. I was on a running interval when suddenly it got harder. The incline on my treadmill decided on its own that it wanted to go to the very top! :scared1: Once I figured out what was going on I stopped the belt and tried to decline. It didn’t want to go down. I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to go down. I hope I don’t get many more surprises while running!

I like that everyone is (re)introducing themselves – so I will too. My name is Manda and I live in northern Utah. After years of playing basketball in high school (I’m 6’1’’) I finally gave up on sports as too painful! I found out my knees are just messed up, and it makes it really hard to run without pain. I became a walker, and that worked really well. I did my first half marathon last September at Disneyland and finished in 3:00 (almost on the dot!) It was a lot of fun. I was surrounded by these happy people in green shirts and that is how I found WISH. I had so much fun here. I completed the C25K program last fall and was able to run 30 minutes without pain, but I was really slow. I am working to find an interval that will work for me. I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Wow...lots of activity to catch up on. o_O Great to see a new life being breathed into our group with so many new faces. :D

I guess I can do a quick intro of myself for all the new folks. My name is Katie and I am from Baltimore, MD. I am 31 years old and I live with my 10 year old Labradoodle Tillie. I started running in 2005 as a way to challenge myself physically and try to encourage my father to lose weight. I ran my first half October 2006 and my first full January of 2008. With the encouragement of my home town running team this past year I completed the MCM and Goofy 2010. I am taking the rest of 2010 off from Full marathon and have declared it the year of the Half Marathon, singing up for 14 total as I work on my Half Fanatics level. In my training for full marathons I lost some speed, going from a 2:34 half marathon to a 3:00 marathon on average and putting on some weight. I want to hold off on doing another full until I get my weight down and my speed up. My hopes right now are to return to fulls in a couple year doing the 2013 WDW Full (20th anniversary) and 2015 Goofy (10th anniversary).

J-sun: Sounds like you are already running faster than I am! You should be right on track to be ready for Dopey. Very impressive. I am not cool enough to have an iphone yet :rotfl2:

I actually find it harder to slow myself down. I just try to run at my natural pace. I'm sure as my running intervals get longer (they're 5 minutes now) I'll have to find ways to slow down some.

Today I ran/walked 3.26 miles in 30:18. My running intervals were 5 minutes followed by 1 minute of walking, repeated for about 30 minutes. It felt pretty good. The last running interval was all up hill, so I had to really fight to keep running, but I made it. I had to run in the street too, instead of on the sidewalk because of the snow we got Saturday, and I didn't get hit by any cars, so I considered it a success :woohoo:

Hi Barb!

I have been looking into this a bit but am still confused...do you need to get Nike shoes to do this? Do you just buy something that straps onto your shoe? Does it give you other information other than total time and how far you go? I know...new runner who doesn't know much about all the tools out there! :rolleyes1

I am using my iPod Touch and the C25K app. I would like more though. I would like something that would tell me my distance (both on my treadmill and when I run outside).

I would love to hear what you have to say about the Nike+.

I got 2 good runs in this weekend. We ran outside both days which was great (but cold...today it was 6° and a bit windy). DH runs with me. Today we started week 4 of our program and it was an adjustment to almost double the running part...a lot less walking today. I was surprised it was not horrible but we were in a really hilly area so some of it was a bit of a challenge. I also have a horrible cold coming on and that wasn't great either. Since I am running without any accessories, I have no clue how far I went...I just know that we completed 2 days of our program.

Hi Jen!
If you have an iPod Touch then you are halfway there. The Nike+ iPod thingy is already built in to your Touch (look under settings, it's there!), you just have to buy the sensor for your shoe-it's $19. Of course, Nike recommends their special shoes with the special place in the insole for the sensor, but you can buy a pouch that fits on any shoe. I found the pouch at my running store where I bought my Asics. I use the pouch which straps through the shoelaces of my Asics and as far as I know, it is pretty accurate. I have nothing to compare my stats to, so I am just counting on it being accurate :confused3 If it's not accurate at least it would be consistent! It automatically sends an update to my Facebook page. When I get home from a run I just sync my iPod while I shower, then all my stats are sent to a personal Nike page where I can set it up if I want my stats sent to Twitter or FB. You have a user name and can have "friends". I have found other folks who have their stats sent to FB, then I click on their stats and it sends me to their Nike+ page where I can "friend" them. It has a bunch of different things you can do. It will log all your runs on the iPod Touch and the webpage with time, distance, calories burned. There are challenges you can join with other runners and goals you can set for yourself for speed, time, distance. There is even a senseless little cartoon character you can make of yourself that will cheer you on and does funky dances (senseless!)
My last running update posted to facebook looked like this:
Barb Kennedy ran 4.27 mi on 1/31/2010 at 3:05 PM with a pace of 14'03"/mi
http://nikerunning.nike.com/n/r/en_US/2014009936/141695066/?sitesrc=fbk_ab_plus
If you are able to see this, please let me know! It shows my last run on Sunday which was pathetic! My iPod stalled at one point because I completely stopped (and forgot to pause my iPod) while I talked to someone and played with her dog! Hopefully from this link you can look at my other runs too.
It is basically a very fancy pedometer like someone else here was saying. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor or use GPS. I am just getting started and so a $19 investment in a new running toy was not a big gamble. Back in October, I started a walk/run program to get me to a 5K too. I bought this Nike+ thing in November and ran my 1st 5K in December. It has served me well as a cool little toy and it keeps me motivated. I like to see how my pace has improved and lots of friends on Facebook see my progress and offer encouragement. I may want to get something different with a heart rate monitor on it but they are quite expensive!
Jen, I love to see that you run with your DH too!

Barb - I could see all your information. I love it!!! I think it is a great place for me to start. I can try it out with a $19 investment and then if I get something fancier down the line...it will not be such a big deal. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the great information. I was not really considering the Nike+ because I have some great new shoes that I just bought...but knowing I can just get a pouch, I will give that a try.

Have you used it on a treadmill at all?

Pat - Thanks for your perspective on the Nike+ as well. Sounds like I might have to be a bit careful because I don't plan on getting the Nike shoes at this point.

Manda - I think it is great you are running...even with bum knees. Hope that your treadmill stops acting up. I would die without my treadmill right now. The snow and extreme temps are keeping me in some days. Thanks for the compliment on the weight loss. There are really hard days and there are days where it is I am so excited with how great it is to lose the weight that it makes it easy.

j-sun - I am glad that you avoided cars today! :laughing: I will be so happy when winter is over and we don't have to worry about all the snow! Way to go on your running today!

Today is my day of rest. I am so looking forward to no exercising at all. It is cold and snowy here, plus I do not feel that great today. Tonight I have a bunch of shopping to do (so at least I will be out walking around). I am out of most of my "healthy" foods and if I want to have another week of weight loss, I had better get to the store!

Later,
Jen

I've not used Nike+ but have an old Nike SDM watch which uses a foot pod. I prefer the pod to a GPS watch because I think that it's more accurate if I'm doing intervals.

I'm not sure if this is also available in the US but my Nokia phone (an old N95) has a GPS built in and Nokia have a free Sports Tracker app which you can download to your phone. It can measure your speed and distance and you can also upload your runs to the web. A fun feature is that any photos that you take can be uploaded and attached to the map of your run.

Here is a run from the Beach Club to DHS and back that I did last August. It was a beautiful morning so I took a few photos. You should be able to see them if you click on the thumbnails.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=1461694

Hi everyone,
Just checking in to report on my latest antics.
Well yesterday was my 7 miler. DD and I went on one of the trails not too far from us. However, it snowed a bit the night before so the trail was a bit wet and slippery in places. Needless to say I did take a flop on some black ice. It was just about the end of our walk when swoosh down I went. Thank God I didn't get hurt; just my pride did. Some young skaters from the pond nearby witnessed it but they were kind about it.
Now today was my 5-mile day. I didn't feel too bad so I went out this afternoon with my DH. Mission accomplished with not too much trouble.
But, now I feel it. Boy is my knee and bottom sore. Thank goodness tomorrow is a rest day. I feel like I really need it.
All's well that ends well they say.
Let's see how Wednesday goes that is a 5 miler.

Barb - I could see all your information. I love it!!! I think it is a great place for me to start. I can try it out with a $19 investment and then if I get something fancier down the line...it will not be such a big deal. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the great information. I was not really considering the Nike+ because I have some great new shoes that I just bought...but knowing I can just get a pouch, I will give that a try.

Have you used it on a treadmill at all?

Jen-
I have used it on the treadmill and the page even has a place to note where you did your run; trail, road, or treadmill. If you can see all my runs then you can see the treadmill ones (they are the lowest miles!) I HATE the treadmill!
Hope you had a good evening of shopping!

I've not used Nike+ but have an old Nike SDM watch which uses a foot pod. I prefer the pod to a GPS watch because I think that it's more accurate if I'm doing intervals.

I'm not sure if this is also available in the US but my Nokia phone (an old N95) has a GPS built in and Nokia have a free Sports Tracker app which you can download to your phone. It can measure your speed and distance and you can also upload your runs to the web. A fun feature is that any photos that you take can be uploaded and attached to the map of your run.

Here is a run from the Beach Club to DHS and back that I did last August. It was a beautiful morning so I took a few photos. You should be able to see them if you click on the thumbnails.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=1461694

Liam-
I checked out that link and it is so very cool! I'd love to have something like that! Some phones here have those applications so I'll have to look into it. It makes sense to use this since everyone should carry their phone with them for safety while running anyway. This application seems to have everything, including a heart rate monitor. Do you have to wear some sort of chest strap with it? I love that you could take photos along the way and the way they show where you were on the map. Your photos are fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Gretchen - I am so sorry to read that you fell. That has been one of my greatest fears running outside in the winter! I am glad it was not too serious.

Barb - Last night I went out and got the Nike+. I love it and hate it both at the same time I love the information I get but I hate how slow I am! :rotfl:

I got up early this morning and did 2 mi. I was pleased with how much of it I ran but discovered the sad truth (as I had on my Nike+)...I am SO VERY SLOW. :sad2: I am going to have to focus first on distance and then hope that the speed will come with time.

After work I have to go to WW and weigh in. Tonight I plan on trying to do 5K. It will still be a combination of walking and running and I am sure it will be even slower! That is okay though because as I think back to a month ago...just the thought of walking 1 mile seemed exhausting! I have to be pleased with all I have accomplished in this first month.

Have a great day everyone!
Jen

Hi everyone,
Well yesterday was my 7 miler. DD and I went on one of the trails not too far from us. However, it snowed a bit the night before so the trail was a bit wet and slippery in places. Needless to say I did take a flop on some black ice. It was just about the end of our walk when swoosh down I went. Thank God I didn't get hurt; just my pride did. Some young skaters from the pond nearby witnessed it but they were kind about it.
Now today was my 5-mile day. I didn't feel too bad so I went out this afternoon with my DH. Mission accomplished with not too much trouble.
But, now I feel it. Boy is my knee and bottom sore. Thank goodness tomorrow is a rest day. I feel like I really need it.

Gretchen, I'm glad you're okay. That black ice can be so dangerous.

I am hurting today. On Sunday, I did my 7 miler, and I felt okay afterward. On Monday, after sitting for a long time, I got up and the area right above the back of my right knee was killing me! And it still hurts today. Every time I walk, I use that muscle to swing my leg forward and it hurts. :headache: Right now I have one of those heat wraps on it. But it's on a bigger part of my leg, so it keeps slipping down. I look so professional reaching up my skirt and yanking my heat wrap back up!:rolleyes1

I'm supposed to do a 40 minute walk tonight. I hope I can manage that. I don't want to fall off the training wagon now, with the Princess so close.

And since everyone is re-introducing themselves, I will do the same. My name is Andrea and I love in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I live with my wonderful 11-year old son and our dog Murphy. I joined the DISboards a long time ago, but didn't discover WISH until much later. For a while, I was just on a team, and lurking. Then I decided to be in the WDW Half-Marathon, so I started participating more and joining threads. Everyone on WISH has been so helpful and encouraging; I just love being here.:disrocks:

Welcome new friends!

Wow! I haven't read the thread in a week and I've missed so much. I'm so excited for everyone who is new here (and the old friends too!!!). I'll be forced to keep up more frequently with so much posting.

Allow me to re-introduce myself. My name is Jane. :wave2: I currently live in NYC. I started running last May doing the C25K program. I never ran a day in my life. Hate exercise. Love food. Used to smoke a pack a day. And now I love running, don't smoke (although I quit before I ran), and still love food (although I make smarter choices.)

I trained for the Everest Challenge (and did a few other 5Ks). Right now I'm in a rut, but will be picking myself up, dusting myself off and getting back out there to train eventually for the Wine and Dine Half in October and the Next year's WDW Half. I'm just figuring out my milestones along the way.

Again welcome everyone. I'm looking forward to a very active year with everyone. No plans to run this week. Have a lot going on. But I'm gonna keep up reading here.

Hi everyone,

Hope you're okay Gretchen. I went for my 30 minute walk today and since the sidewalks are all covered in snow I decided to walk around a lake near our house. The path around the lake was snowy too, but I figured it was at least prettier than the sidewalk along the road. I made it around the lake without falling, although I did have a couple close calls.

I'm ready for it to stop snowing, but we're supposed to get more tonight and again this weekend. Stupid groundhog and his 6 more weeks of winter :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter