Really odd booking questions

catfan98

DIS Veteran
Hi guys, we are planning to stay onsite for our trip next spring. I'm in pre-planning mode and trying to get all my ducks in a row so when it comes time to act, I am ready! As of right now, we will have 4 adults and 1 teenager on the trip and the plan is to probably book 2 rooms. I have a couple of scenarios that I need help with on this - and let's say I am booking straight through Disney.

1) I think I read that I can't book both rooms in my name, so would I make another MDE account for the other room? Is there a way to link the reservations or accounts? I would really like to be able to manage the ADRs and FPs for everyone if possible.

2) Worst case scenario, if I need to cancel one of the rooms and move an occupant to mine, can I do this without cancelling both rooms? And up until what point can I do this as far as cancellation without penalty?

3) If the room and tickets are booked as a package, and I cancel one room and move one of the occupants to ours, does this cancel their ticket or would it move with them?

4) Would I be better off to book room only reservations and purchase the tickets separate, closer to the 60 day FP time, instead of as a package? Can the discounts that come out be applied to just room only in lieu of packages?

5) For ADRs, if we end up with 4 travelers instead of 5, can I delete 1 person off of the ADR, or would I just leave it as 5? I don't think I would want to cancel them and try to re-book as I probably wouldn't get the same time again.

Last edited:
I'll help with there i can
1. You can book them both but you'll need to call.
4. I prefer rooms and tickets separate. You have more time to pay off the room and you won't have to get tickets until a few days before the 60 day FP date. You can always apply discounts, provided the fit your resort/room/dates, or you are will to move/change dates.
5. You can show up with 4 (sorry, meant to say 4), no problems

Last edited:
I'll help with there i can
1. You can book them both but you'll need to call.
4. I prefer rooms and tickets separate. You have more time to pay off the room and you won't have to get tickets until a few days before the 60 day FP date. You can always apply discounts, provided the fit your resort/room/dates, or you are will to move/change dates.
5. You can show up with 5, no problems

Thank you for your reply!

2. I think so, but she would have to be added to your package. All travelers in a room must be on the same package.

which leads to

3. Yes, her package would cancel entirely, and she would need to be put on the same package as all travelers in your room. Might be the same package, but the accounting of it would be that she would be added, and any payment on her package would refund, and you'd pay anew on your room + her.

Hi guys, we are planning to stay onsite for our trip next spring. I'm in pre-planning mode and trying to get all my ducks in a row so when it comes time to act, I am ready! As of right now, we will have 4 adults and 1 teenager on the trip and the plan is to book 2 rooms - 1 for my husband, me and our son (teen), and the other for our daughter and her boyfriend (young adults). I have a couple of scenarios that I need help with on this - and let's say I am booking straight through Disney.

1) I think I read that I can't book both rooms in my name, so would I make another MDE account for my daughter and book one of the rooms in her name? Is there a way to link the reservations or accounts? I would really like to be able to manage the ADRs and FPs for everyone if possible.

2) Worst case scenario, if I need to cancel one of the rooms and move my daughter into ours, can I do this without cancelling both rooms? And up until what point can I do this as far as cancellation without penalty?

3) If the room and tickets are booked as a package, and I cancel one room and move my daughter to ours, does this cancel her ticket or would it move with her?

4) Would I be better off to book room only reservations and purchase the tickets separate, closer to the 60 day FP time, instead of as a package? Can the discounts that come out be applied to just room only in lieu of packages?

5) For ADRs, if we end up with 4 travelers instead of 5, can I delete 1 person off of the ADR, or would I just leave it as 5? I don't think I would want to cancel them and try to re-book as I probably wouldn't get the same time again.

I hope I don't have to worry about any of this, but better to be prepared. I'm sorry for all the questions, and thank you to anyone who answers!

1. I have booked rooms for myself and my mother. She does not have her own MDE account, she's under mine and I manage it. I was able to book both online with no problems (one in my name, one in hers). Actually have done it for other family members as well. I don't want anyone messing with my stuff, so I've never given them the option of having their own MDE (and they're ok with me being in charge). It's not a separate account, it's just managed under mine.

2. Packages must be canceled 30 days before the trip (I think, used to be 45, and that's what I use, but I think it has changed). Room only reservations can be canceled up to a few days before.

3. I think it'd cancel her ticket, but then you could just add her to your package in you room (there would be an extra adult cost if you go over 2 adults in your room). Everyone in a room must have the same package (if booking as a package). If you do room only and buy tickets separately you can do what you want.

4. Doesn't matter. Discounts that come out can be applied IF there is availability (sometimes the discounts have a limited availability so you could possibly have to change resorts/room category/etc). Sometimes there are room only discounts, sometimes package discounts, you'd really have to do the math to see what works best for your family.

5. You can just leave ADR's at 5. You are charged if NO ONE shows up for the reservation, but as long as one person shows up, you'll be fine.

:)

1. I have booked rooms for myself and my mother. She does not have her own MDE account, she's under mine and I manage it. I was able to book both online with no problems (one in my name, one in hers). Actually have done it for other family members as well. I don't want anyone messing with my stuff, so I've never given them the option of having their own MDE (and they're ok with me being in charge). It's not a separate account, it's just managed under mine.

2. Packages must be canceled 30 days before the trip (I think, used to be 45, and that's what I use, but I think it has changed). Room only reservations can be canceled up to a few days before.

3. I think it'd cancel her ticket, but then you could just add her to your package in you room (there would be an extra adult cost if you go over 2 adults in your room). Everyone in a room must have the same package (if booking as a package). If you do room only and buy tickets separately you can do what you want.

4. Doesn't matter. Discounts that come out can be applied IF there is availability (sometimes the discounts have a limited availability so you could possibly have to change resorts/room category/etc). Sometimes there are room only discounts, sometimes package discounts, you'd really have to do the math to see what works best for your family.

5. You can just leave ADR's at 5. You are charged if NO ONE shows up for the reservation, but as long as one person shows up, you'll be fine.

:)

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! I really appreciate it!! :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter