Really could use advice.... (depression and weight)

DisneyLifer87

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone. I am in a situation that I would simply love some feedback on because I'm at a loss on what to really do or how to accept the things that are happening to me. The worst is that I fail to find support locally because everyone continues to roll their eyes and claim I don't truly have a problem rather than listen to my heartfelt worries.

I am a 28 year old and am 5'5", so a bit on the shorter side. I have always been very petite in frame and was blessed in life to have a faster metabolism. Up until about March of this year (2015) I was a solid 120 lbs. soaking wet - if that. I felt comfortable in my body, but I was not comfortable in my mind. I had a lot of depression and anxiety that caused insomnia and tension with my marriage. I made the decision to start Zoloft in order to calm down some and try to feel happier. It worked well and my mood improved dramatically. But, by June I had gained 20 lbs. and was carrying it primarily in my stomach, hips and thighs. I brought the concern to my doctor and we scaled back my medication, however it is now December and I'm only at 137 with watching what I eat. I moderately exercise and work retail so am active. I do not do any intense cardio due to asthma.

My doctor is telling me that my weight is normal for my height and to not be concerned because I'm far from overweight. I understand that completely, but I am very depressed with my own physical appearance. I'm not one for vanity at all, but having stomach weight where I never used to and not fitting into most of my jeans anymore is just disheartening. Everyone I speak to just rolls their eyes and says I'm not fat and should not worry. I guess I just fail to understand why it's a problem to not want to have excess weight. I just want to feel better about me and be my normal self again.

Has anyone experienced this kind of weight gain from Zoloft or similar? Any advice on how to curb the weight gain and specifically remove belly fat? I always find exercise suggestions (ab crunches, etc) online, but no real plan to put into action. I just want to be me again :(

Hi there. I understand your frustration. I am 5'7" and about 10-15 lbs over what I should be and it's driving me crazy. I've spent most of my life being naturally thin, but once I hit my very late 40s, it has become much harder to control. So, I know how you are feeling.

Zoloft and many of the SSRIs are NOTORIOUS for weight gain. I have actually avoided them because of the side effects they cause (weight gain being one of them). I have several coworkers who have put on a lot of weight with them. For me, my anxiety was never to a point that I wanted to go that route and I have dealt with it through other meds (such as short term Xanax) or Wellbutrin and/or Buspar. But overall, since I have what I would call minor issues, I have tried to use diet and exercise as a "cure". It rates as high as SSRI use but you have to want to commit to it.

So, what *I* would do? If your anxiety/depression are not crippling, I would cut back and off of the Zoloft and seriously commit to a wellness program consisting of healthful food and plenty of exercise. If you feel that the Zoloft is a must, I would work on eating a lower-carb (not necessarily no/low carb) diet. I believe with the SSRIs the carbs, coupled with them, is a major problem. So I would reduce carbs as much as is comfortable without removing healthy carbs and stay serious with the exercise. You should be able to counteract more weight gain but it will be a struggle.

I think people tell you not to worry because, in their well-meaning way, they think they are being supportive. The doctor tells you not to worry because your weight fits in the appropriate box for your height.

If you don't feel like your best self, that is valid. I have several friends with medically-treated anxiety and depression, two of them are who I am thinking about now. They take several prescriptions and do talk therapy, but where they really found health and happiness was through Pilates. Both of them love it and lost a significant amount of weight, but I think it's less about what kind of exercise you do and more about doing it consistently.

I am on this quest myself (though I am significantly heavier than you). I like dance-based workouts. Zumba, Barre, Pilates, Bellydancing. My goal is to get down to a weight where I can do aerial yoga, which intrigues me no end. I wish you well on your journey to your best self as YOU see you.

Hello, I too understand your frustration. I am now 46, and spend most of my life as you did. Now finding my experience with thyroid issues, and the ups and downs, and everyone is saying big deal to an extra few pounds, but it is to ME.

You have received some good advice in regards to exercise and what may work. I am glad to read the Zoloft did work, and you are feeling better.. I wish you well, always remember you are more than welcome here any time :)

Most of posters gave answered your question betterhan I can . I wish you the best and hope troubles are solved soon Best wishes to you and hope you can put this by you aans put your problems behind you .

Other posters have given better advice than i csn . I wish you only the best and hope that these problems are soon behind you . Best Regards Danny

Hi there! I have suffered from both depression and weight issues. I cut carbs and caffeine and it has made a huge difference in my life. My weight dropped significantly and my anxiety and depression lessened. I added exercise and together all 3 steps have been a tremendous help for me.
I'm glad your medicine is helping you, you sshuld be proud that you made that first step!! As for your body, you will get there <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter