Ready, Set, Let the Games Begin! - Link to new PTR/TR!

So I don’t have any earth shattering updates, but I have made a few decisions/updates in the past week.

First off, I started off last week with a DISmeet with ACDSNY. She was at DLR with her family and she and her DH snuck off for some adult time while her sister and kids ran around the park silly. We had some drinks and snacks and just a good time catching up.

Also I read an update where scottny had dinner at Cape May Buffet. It sounded really good so I booked us in there for the last night of our trip. PIO will be at MNSSHP, and now I'm not sure what Bobbiwoz is doing, she might be going home or staying, but either way Fran and I are on our own for this night and since the F&W fest might be pretty bogged down, we will go to Cape May for our din din.

Later this week, I noticed that Tri Tip was on sale for $3.49 per lb. That’s the cheapest that I’ve seen it all year, so since there was no limit I picked up four. I figure that’s two to practice on in the next couple months and two to bring to the cookout. Not that I haven’t cooked my share of tri tip, but I haven’t cooked it on a charcoal grill without a lid so I’ll have to really test out the timing at home to get it perfect like this. Luckily I have an instant read thermometer in my OL.

So another thing is that we have pretty much nailed down our menu. We were almost set but in my gut I felt like we needed one more dish to just really round out the menu. I think we have that now.

Here is our menu for the cookout.

Queso and Chips – Alison & Fran
Watermelon – Bobbiwoz
Summer Salad – Alison & Fran
Potato Salad – Luvchefmic
Tri Tip on the BBQ – Alison & Fran
Portabello Mushrooms with Goat Cheese and Pesto – PIO
Fried Rice with Shrimp – PIO
Brownies & Rice Krispie Treats – TifffanyD​

This sounds like a very well rounded and filling menu. We’ll also have some beverages to accompany the meal, but we have yet to work that out.

Luvchefmic is only about half an hour away. Bobbiwoz has a rental car for Saturday/Sunday so she will pick up a watermelon and anything else we need. SunDial is about two hours away, TifffanyD is also close so hopefully between the local folks we can get what we need at last minute as well as the paper goods for our gathering, and any serving bowl/utensils we might end up needing. I’m not sure my villa will be completely equipped to serve this cookout!

So with the dinner in mind, I don’t have any pics to share of previous Tri Tip pics to share, so I will post those as I have them. You’ve seen the Queso that we plan on serving. Here is my recipe for the Summer Salad.

Summer Salad

Starting ingredients

Slice the cucumbers and liberally season with salt and pepper.

Slice tomatoes and onions and also liberally season with salt and pepper.

Then add salad oil and cider vinegar to taste, always add less vinegar to start, you can always add more. Toss with your hands, no really, it’s the best way.

Yum! Great salad and great find on the TriTip.

I think I better go post the menu on my PTR. :lmao:

The summer salad is one of my favorites, so cool and refreshing.:thumbsup2

Yum! Great salad and great find on the TriTip.

I think I better go post the menu on my PTR. :lmao:

Thanks! I love that salad too! I'm going to have to try out TriTip on the Charcoal BBQ without a lid to get it just right!

MMMMM, what time do I show up for dinner? :)

Jill in CO

Around 5:30 or so October 5th, just bring something else we need! :thumbsup2

You're meet menu sounds delicious!

I know, I think it will be awesome!

That's what I was thinking too!

Just bring some Easy Mac and you're good.

The summer salad is one of my favorites, so cool and refreshing.:thumbsup2

I make it a lot for potlucks, not many people like to bring things with veggies so it always goes over well at summertime! :thumbsup2

:offtopic:

Ok this has nothing to do with the trip, but I thought I would share this since some of you folks have already seen this on FB. There is a Hot Dog stand in Hollywood that has been around for over 70 years, we have been talking about going there for YEARs. Fran and I have been together over 15 years so it's been a long time that we have been saying that we need to go to Pinks.

Today we needed to go up to the church in Hollywood where we rehearse for band. Normally go to band, hit a Drive through on the way, go to band, rehearse and go home. Everyone romanticizes Hollywood, but we rarely have time to visit even the slightest landmark. So this time, we needed to go check Timpani, if you know anything about them, we had to make sure they would hold a pitch. They all actually did so evidently we fixed them before and forgot!

Our friend Jim from Band took the day off too and met us at the church where we rehearse, we checked the timpani, did some cleaning up stuff and then headed off to lunch.

There is this place in LA called Pink's. It's a Hot Dog Joint that has been around since 1939. It's famous for celebrites enjoying their dogs. I remember watching the episode where Emeril went there and made his own dog. A lot of celebrities have been there are created dogs.

I got the Emeril Dog without the Jalapenos. Jim got the Emeril Dog with the jalapenos. Fran got the special dog which had chili, cheese, and onions. We also got a Mulholland Dog that had mushrooms, grilled onions, bacon, and nacho cheese.

One of the dogs came with fries and we ordered onion rings on the side. I got a lemonade, Jim got a Mexican coke and Fran got diet coke.

Here is a cross section of my Emeril Dog

And the Mulholland dog

This is the pic that Jim posted on FB to chronicle our visit.

This was pretty much dinner and lunch. It was around 3:30 when we ate all this so we really didn't fix ourselves much of dinner, Fran ate the leftover hot dogs and I ate the leftovers from last night, except that Alto kitty grabbed a piece of rib eye and pulled it on the floor while I was trying to update a computer file.

Since it was ruined I just cut it into pieces for her so at least she could finish the stolen food. Good thing I was still pretty full from the dogs!

OMG! That's just.....just........OMG!!

:moped: Off to Google to see if I can factor a trip to Pink's in September.

Hmmm.....need to work out how to feed a pesky vegetarian!

Ok, putting Pink's on my list for my next CA trip!

Jill in CO

OMG! That's just.....just........OMG!!

:moped: Off to Google to see if I can factor a trip to Pink's in September.

Hmmm.....need to work out how to feed a pesky vegetarian!

Well, actually they had a vegan dog. We made jokes about it, but they had something. The place is not too far from where you are staying. Just allow at least a half an hour to wait in line. They make up your dogs right while you wait and pay.

Those hotdogs look insane Alison. Triple yum! Chili and cheese is my favorite. Now I'm starving.

They were so good! We'll have to go there again!

I have heard of Pink's and seen it on TV. WOW those hotdogs are big!

They were huge! Fran wanted to split one in addition to our own. She got leftovers. We have seen them on lots of TV festures. The walls were covered in autographed photos. It was fun and a nice day!

What fun! I'm glad you finally made it over there. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in a few movies or tv shows. Do they make the hot dogs there? I'm just wondering what makes them so good.

What fun! I'm glad you finally made it over there. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in a few movies or tv shows. Do they make the hot dogs there? I'm just wondering what makes them so good.

I think they special order them from a place and have their own "secret" recipe. I know that they use natural casings so that they have a "pop" when you bite into them. I think it's a combo of the quality dogs and awesome toppings.

Do they have chicken or turkey dogs?

Yes they do have turkey dogs! ::yes::

Veggies and cheese in a bun??? :rotfl2:

No, it's a vegetarian dog. No cheese, vegans don't eat any animal products, so I think it was like onions and tomatoes and guacamole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter