"RapidFill" RFID refillable mugs coming back resort wide...

When is this going into effect in all the resorts? For the 1st time in a long time we are going without the dining plan and I'm not sure if I want to buy the mugs or not. We have bought them every year except last year when they were part of the DP....the price is starting to not be worth it. I may wait to see if its the old price or the new price and how far we are from the food court.

the following will be the new price with the rapid refillable mugs.
This new program starts at allstar sports.

$8.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for length of stay (4+ days)

No, not really. When our family buys mugs it's usually only one because I'm the one that wants it. So not everyone on our reservation has a mug but I am still an honest paying guest.

Not good for that situation, (didn't mean most are not honest and paying sorry) but if the change is coming you may be a casualty-still does that mean the enhancement for entire groups Lewisc suggests is a bad idea in your opinion?

By the way-I hate the new rule, just looking to help anyone possible.

Not good for that situation, (didn't mean most are not honest and paying sorry) but if the change is coming you may be a casualty-still does that mean the enhancement for entire groups Lewisc suggests is a bad idea in your opinion?

By the way-I hate the new rule, just looking to help anyone possible.
If I understand Lewis correctly he's saying that people should be able to refill at will if all their members have mugs. I guess that would be helpful for all the people on the DDP, but I would be peeved if someone else could fill at will and I could not. They and I paid for the same product. Hopefully, they will try it without the timeout and see what happens.

I have to agree with you. I never understood the hoopla over the "cheating", because as far as I was concerned, Disney turned a blind eye to it. Their business is like any other, if policies are enforced, they are generally followed to avoid problems. When Disney decided to enforce the DDP policies, the CM's were trained how to do so, and hey were held accountable if they made exceptions. The same enforcement could have been used to keep manage the refill cups.

Now, I get why some folks are angry, it is hard to think others are getting for free something that you paid for. But some folks are angry when people glide by using Fast passes, and they are trudging through the stand by line. And we all have heard how the enforcement of this long lax policy enrages some folks.

I think it will be interesting to see how the RFID mug ends up after all of the testing and the feedback that comes from it. Does anyone know how much a chip like the ones here cost to use in each cup?

RFID tags cost around $.07 per tag, maybe less in bulk. The tags only have an ID number, the intelligence is in the software program that Disney is using.

:earsboy: Bill

the following will be the new price with the rapid refillable mugs.
This new program starts at allstar sports.

$8.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for length of stay (4+ days)

Yes but when will this be in effect in all resorts?

RFID tags cost around $.07 per tag, maybe less in bulk. The tags only have an ID number, the intelligence is in the software program that Disney is using.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks, Bill. For some reason, I thought the tag would have a higher cost. I guess if Disney invested a boatload of money into this technology it makes sense that they would want to utilize it as much as possible.

I was discussing this with my DD yesterday, and she expressed concern. I actually do not follow too much of the RFID tags that are embedded in different articles, but she insists that the entire concept is creepy. Because I do not know what the information this technology can track I don't have an opinion, but now I am curious. How much can the tags track? I know some folks really hate the finger scan technology because they feel it is too much info for Disney, but how much can this product do? I admit that not much bothers me, so this is no different. I hate grocery store loyalty cards more than this kind of device, but I wonder if some folks feel it could become intrusive.

Yes but when will this be in effect in all resorts?

Disney has yet to publicly acknowledge they are doing this...never mind give any sort of timeframe. Although I heard the equipment was installed (but covered) at POP as well.

If I understand Lewis correctly he's saying that people should be able to refill at will if all their members have mugs. I guess that would be helpful for all the people on the DDP, but I would be peeved if someone else could fill at will and I could not. They and I paid for the same product. Hopefully, they will try it without the timeout and see what happens.

I can see what your saying. I think the only reason for the delay refill, would be for groups that by one mug though. If everyone at wdw bought a mug, there would be no reason.

If the choice is refill at will for entire groups, or delay refills for partial-at least every group has an available option.

Kind of like the dp. Everyone has to do it, or guests could have one person get it and then use all the credits with everyone at one time.

doconeill said:
Disney has yet to publicly acknowledge they are doing this...never mind give any sort of timeframe. Although I heard the equipment was installed (but covered) at POP as well.

Some rumors have some facts to give credibility. This system was tested in the Allstars and machines have been seen in other resorts.

Posters who dont like the time between fill policy...would U .prefer paying something like $6 or $7 for the mug and 75c or $1 per fill?

Some rumors have some facts to give credibility. This system was tested in the Allstars and machines have been seen in other resorts.

I never meant to imply it wasn't happening. Only that Disney has not said a word, so there is no definitive timeframe either.

Posters who dont like the time between fill policy...would U .prefer paying something like $6 or $7 for the mug and 75c or $1 per fill?
I think I would want to pay one price for the mug, deal with the refill delay, and then be done with it.

I understand why Disney would place restrictions, which is similar to the DDP restrictions, but I think that for the price of soft beverages, this may take some time getting used to.

When you buy soft beverages in fast food restaurants, and the beverage servers are available, most have free refills. I imagine that folks who purchase a meal in the CS restaurants in the resorts may think that policy is true as well, since they are parked smack dab in the middle of the restaurant. How does this policy affect those folks who are having a beverage with lunch or dinner?

I don't drink soda or any other soft beverage often enough to refill any cup, but I do drink coffee, and will often refill my cup. Would I need my refillable mug to do so? This would be inconvenient for me because I don't like to drag it around. I pay for the mug, but hate using it unless I am staying right in the vicinity or going back to the room, KNWIM?

I think I would want to pay one price for the mug, deal with the refill delay, and then be done with it.

I understand why Disney would place restrictions, which is similar to the DDP restrictions, but I think that for the price of soft beverages, this may take some time getting used to.

When you buy soft beverages in fast food restaurants, and the beverage servers are available, most have free refills. I imagine that folks who purchase a meal in the CS restaurants in the resorts may think that policy is true as well, since they are parked smack dab in the middle of the restaurant. How does this policy affect those folks who are having a beverage with lunch or dinner?

I don't drink soda or any other soft beverage often enough to refill any cup, but I do drink coffee, and will often refill my cup. Would I need my refillable mug to do so? This would be inconvenient for me because I don't like to drag it around. I pay for the mug, but hate using it unless I am staying right in the vicinity or going back to the room, KNWIM?

For those just getting a drink with a meal, the paper cups will also be chipped. I read that it will likely be 4 fills for a one hour timeframe. The system is only set up for soda as of now, so coffee will not be affected.

For those just getting a drink with a meal, the paper cups will also be chipped. I read that it will likely be 4 fills for a one hour timeframe. The system is only set up for soda as of now, so coffee will not be affected.

That seems generous! Now the coffee......in the morning.....I will have to drag my mug ;)

I think the whole thing is cheesy and cheap. Disney should be going for a more luxurious "help yourself" kind of feel and not nickel and diming something that is as cheap as soft drinks. Time limits on refills....really?? They endorse coke products and I doubt coke charges them much if anything for the soda. They are making a profit on the mugs. This is just going too far.

No, I would like to fill at will like at every other self serve soda station.

ETA: If they instituted a refill delay I guess I would just have to deal with it. I have not bought a mug in a number of years and I was thinking about getting one for my upcoming trip at All Star Movies in about 2 weeks. The drink refill stations are just more convenient than the ones at the DVC resorts where I usually stay. BUT ... if they have the RFID chip and the delay I may skip the mug anyway.

I think the whole thing is cheesy and cheap. Disney should be going for a more luxurious "help yourself" kind of feel and not nickel and diming something that is as cheap as soft drinks. Time limits on refills....really?? They endorse coke products and I doubt coke charges them much if anything for the soda. They are making a profit on the mugs. This is just going too far.

Do you not think that tee shirt you buy has a huge mark up on it? Everything you buy does, at home or at WDW. Not sure why people think Disney shouldn't make money on pop for some reason, when they have no problem forking over $75 for a sweatshirt they probably paid $1 for.

Bullseye

It's not really about the price...the prices are and will be ridiculous...but I pay them without complaint.
This is low rent type stuff...it's like Six Flags or south of the border.
It's either "greedy and embarrassing" or just plain "embarrassing"

Bullseye

It's not really about the price...the prices are and will be ridiculous...but I pay them without complaint.
This is low rent type stuff...it's like Six Flags or south of the border.
It's either "greedy and embarrassing" or just plain "embarrassing"

I can't speak for their other parks, but going to Six Flags New England with a backpack is a pain. $1 for a locker every time you get on a ride. Evil stuff.

I can't speak for their other parks, but going to Six Flags New England with a backpack is a pain. $1 for a locker every time you get on a ride. Evil stuff.

It is such a letdown. I remember when it was Riverside Park and even though there was a lot of charges for games, etc, it was not as bad as this place. Every time I read a thread about how expensive a day in Disney is, I compare what we spent in Six Flags to Disney, and then compare the value. That silly little walk about they call a parade comes to mind.............and having to buy something in a gift shop to get a plastic handle bag to carry around all the crap that Kady won at the exorbitantly priced games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter