RANT ALERT Park Manners

Waiting for the parades! I normally will let a child go in front of me to watch a parade no problem that does not include the parents. This happened to me yesterday. We got fast passes for the parade I decided that because I gave up a valuable ride pass for this I was going to take my space up front. I was nearly pushed out of the way by others. I got in line early and got my place. You could have done the same. I ask had my own child with me this time too.
Years ago I was standing waiting for the parade and I had a women literally push her head between my legs!!!! She also pulled the "no english" card not going to fly with me! Really what planet are these people from?

What really gets me is when in lines and someone has a really loaded backpack on and turns and hits you with it. I try to stay back from the ones in front, but those behind that crowd, then quickly turn around to talk behind them or whatever. I hate when they, or their children are bashing me. They don't seem to understand 'personal space' and have zero respect for it.

Maybe they think if there is a gap, the gap will get the seat on the ride instead of a human.

If people are riding your backside make sure you eat tacos or something for lunch, that will teach them, especially short children ;)
Literally made me lol. :rotfl2:

if your child is behaving like a demon-child, "that lady" will not yell at him/her.

that is your job - it's called parenting, and it's best done by the actual parents :)

flutterby3744 said:
I'll jump on the leash bandwagon....count me in as a failure too! Same scenario, I had 3 kids ALL of them didn't even have to hold my hand to stay by me.....enter DS #4. My sprinting escape artist. He's VERY independent, and HATED holding my hand or being in a stroller (unless he was tired of walking of course). So when we went to WDW when he was 2, you betcha I spent the $10 on a harness! He loved it! He could walk "like a big boy" and still be safe. In fact he loved it so much he used to wear it at home for fun (it was a monkey). I think that monkey is still floating around here somewhere.....:)

Safety teethers in uk and europe on the whole are normal and commonplace. They allow a child to explore independantly but safely within an area that may be very crowded. Please do not think using a 'leash' is being a failure as a parent, here they are usually a sign of great parenting by giving a child a safe and measured amount of independance. I watched a modern family episode where they used a leash on lily and were being judged in disney - we didnt really 'get' that episode over here as like a say its normal and most people in uk prefer it to constantly sticking a child in a stroller or restricting their natural curiousity by holding hands. So please please do not feel judged or a failure, and if you do just adopt a british accent in wdw!!!!!!

And PLEASE PLEASE listen to your little ones in the lines when they say Mommy, Daddy I've got to go potty. And for the love of all don't laugh and shrug it off when they pee all over the concrete in the Soarin line.. True Story!!!

One of my biggest pet peeves is that I like to meet the characters as much as the kids do and I wait in the lines to do this but there is always some parent complaining that a adult is holding up the line so her children cant see the character faster and what does a adult need to meet Mickeymouse for anyway.
I went to Disney the first time when I was about seven years old and I have pictures of me and my brother as kids with many characters my parents took us when we were kids two years in a row and then again when I was in high school. my mom died when I was 21 and my dad died when I was 23. to me getting in line to see the characters makes me feel very happy I know I am a adult but I waited in line to see the characters please do not make rude comments because you think I should step aside so your kids can meet the characters a little faster I have a right to do this as well. it makes me feel close to my mom and dad and brings back happy memories of our great family vacations.

not to mention I am crazy about mickeymouse.

Disney is really made up of 2 type of people...those who get/love Disney and those who put up with it. Most are fine the entire trip, but those who get it, love it tend to get overly exicted and laugh when something spills on their shirt, when they fall over ,when a character makes you the butt of a joke, when it starts to poor and you just laugh.

The others accept what the park is, mobbed crowded multi launguages etc but they just lose it sometimes, weather its the heat, the stress, the loudness the kids etc.

Those who complain, I always have a hard time not biting my lip, one time me (30) and my fiancé (then girlfriend 27) were waiting in line to see Buzz Lightyear and this woman behind me who was flipping through her phone, sighing as if she was an 18 wheeler releasing air breaks was like "I thought this was a child line" and I looked at her and said "could be, you are whining like one" and she looked at me like "HOW DARE YOU" and her kids started to laugh...boy was she embarrassed. I hope I am "that punk young man" for all her family stories of Disney.

Disney is really made up of 2 type of people...those who get/love Disney and those who put up with it. Most are fine the entire trip, but those who get it, love it tend to get overly exicted and laugh when something spills on their shirt, when they fall over ,when a character makes you the butt of a joke, when it starts to poor and you just laugh.

The others accept what the park is, mobbed crowded multi launguages etc but they just lose it sometimes, weather its the heat, the stress, the loudness the kids etc.

Those who complain, I always have a hard time not biting my lip, one time me (30) and my fiancé (then girlfriend 27) were waiting in line to see Buzz Lightyear and this woman behind me who was flipping through her phone, sighing as if she was an 18 wheeler releasing air breaks was like "I thought this was a child line" and I looked at her and said "could be, you are whining like one" and she looked at me like "HOW DARE YOU" and her kids started to laugh...boy was she embarrassed. I hope I am "that punk young man" for all her family stories of Disney.

too funny I would love to have seen her face I never say anything to the moms who complain but I know they do it hoping I will let their kid jump in front of me in line.

1. I am a bit ambivalent on this one. On the one hand, if you've got 5, 6, 7, 8 people, no, one person cannot hold your spot, that's just annoying. :mad:
But on the other hand, if its a case of, a family is heading to the line, and their toddler gives them the "mommy, I need to go potty" kind of call...well, having dad hold the line (with other kids of there are any) while mom takes the child to the bathroom sounds better that than a mess in the line. :confused3

2. *THIS* yes. Let your kids be kids, sure. Let them squee and be excited and dance about. But don't let them ruin the experience for other people.

3. This one doesn't really bother me too much. But if you're standing so close I can smell what you had for breakfast on your breath, don't be mad when I accidentally step on your foot or smack you with my backpack.

4. There are two sides to this one. If you're healthy and able-bodied, courtesy dictates that you give up your seat to people who need it more than you do. Its not a hard-and-fast rule, but it's kind and its polite.
BUT, that being said, it's impossible for you to tell the difference between someone who is able-bodied and someone who does actually need the seat. So cut it out with the dirty looks or muttered comments, ok? Everyone is on vacation, try to keep things positive! :goodvibes

5&6: This. Not everyone travels the same speed. People who move more slowly or who want to stop and look at everything should move to the side and let the speedy ones through.
(And you speedy people, you're not off the hook for politeness. "Excuse me, do you mind if I get by?" works a lot better than pushing or cutting through family groups)

My only other one is this: texting in the middle of dark rides/shows. This is not OK. I get the whole smartphone addiction, but if you have a text that can't wait the length of the ride/show/whatever, maybe you should just wait outside. :wave2:

My rant list:
Adults can want to see characters too. Just because I was done taking a picture with goofy doesnt mean my dad didnt want one. Please dont shove your entire family over before I've even moved.

Dark rides are dark for a reason and NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY means NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY. I've probably ruined someone's day by screaming at them on POTC for this before (oops)

No, I am not letting 10 people in front of me in line. Even for the bus. At 12-1am trying to get back to the hotel when we are 2nd in line for the bus dont walk up and say "my mom is gonna kill us if we dont get on this bus" your poor planning is not my fault.

Basically, follow the rules and show me respect and I will do the same for you.

Last one: Cursing in line and blaming the CMs for the ride breaking down is not helping anything. Be mature adults please.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but scooters seem to run me over every trip. I now keep my head on a swivel and have a built in radar on them that way I know when there is incoming. I also dont like seats on the bus. If they just got rid of them and everyone stood up maybe the bus line would be shorter.

I believe in the saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. My Dfi and I, who are thankfully young, able bodied people, would be happy to give up a bus seat to someone who needed it more. When WON'T we move? When someone huffs and puffs as if we should automatically move to accommodate them.

Would I let a little kid in front of my 6'0 fiance so they can see better at a parade, absolutely! But if Mom encourages the kid to sit on my feet when I have been there for an hour, I will politely ask that parent to take their child back with them.

Sorry I have caused such an uproar over my leash comment, so I am going to clarify it as I do understand a reason for them and am not a totally uncompassionate person. We travel to WDW during the slow months, when the parks are not so crowded that it is impossible to move. I allow my children to either ride in a stroller , walk freely, hold my hand, even ride on my shoulders if the area we are in allows it. I have seen way too many times, at least 50, areas where kids need to be let free to play, and the parent has them on a tether, and are not paying any attention to the child at all. The poor kid is trying to go play with something, or see something that they can not get to, and are literally crying because they can't, and the parent just yanks on the tether to stop them. I have seen this is many of the play areas, in interactive queues, around characters, etc. I have seen parents knock their child to the ground with tethers because they are not paying attention to their child. So all I am saying, is though I am sure the majority that think I am evil for ranting about leashes most likely use them properly, I am addressing the the ones that use them as a babysitter, and don't let their kids be kids.

In fact people should keep in mind that if Disney was held to the letter of the law, they would have to stop filling the buses as soon as the scooter spots were full and another scooter pulls up. Equal access would mean that as soon as no scooters can board neither can anyone else.

I'm not being snarky, just curious. Please remove any snark the internet may imbue on this question:

Does that mean that, according to the letter of the law, if there are three patrons in scooters waiting along with, let's say, twenty ambulatory guests (not nearly a full load, and everyone is politely waiting in an orderly line), all of whom have been waiting an equal amount of time, and a bus pulls up with only room for two scooters, then no one but the two of the guests on scooters can board the bus? I don't know what the law states in this case, so I am genuinely interested if you can tell me.

My general feeling is that while yes, I can be quite tired after a long day in the park, and yes, it would be lovely to get back to my hotel and relax or go to bed, if I have to wait 20 minutes (20 WHOLE MINUTES??!) for another bus, at least I'm waiting after finishing a fantastically fun day at the happiest place on earth and not, as I do in real life, in the polar vortex of Boston. If I miss a bus here, or it's too full, who knows when the next will be.

And maybe I've had a lot of luck on my many trips, or am ridiculously good with timing, but I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes for a bus, and often far less. And if I'm leaving a park at closing time, yes, the bus will be packed, but in my experience they have been much more frequent.

If you're so concerned about other people on scooters getting "preferential treatment," go rent one for yourself and get in on the action! ;)

THIS! I've never had to use a harness on my children, but my sister in law has one for my nephew because he doesn't want to sit all day and he's 3 so he can get a little stir crazy. I know that no child has ever been abducted from Disney (that I'm aware of) but I can't imagine how scary it would be to have one of my kids wander off. It only takes a split second, and in that second they're scared, you're scared, and they could possibly get hurt at a place with all those rides and people! You go ahead and use your leash! You're not a failure as a parent, you're a responsible parent! I bet you that some people that give you the "omg her kids on a leash" looks are the very same people that get angry that kids are wandering or running off! Forget them and do you thing ;)

PLUS, if you get one of those leashes that have a backpack that looks like a teddy bear or something, you don't even need a purse for the day, your kid can be your pack mule. Modern technology, you've done it again!

(I say it as a joke, but should I ever have kids I'm entirely serious about this).

Goldfish8;51029228 And maybe I've had a lot of luck on my many trips said:
Disney does aim to have buses every 20 minutes, so they are doing great going by your experiences! I can say that it is the exception when I have had to wait longer, not the rule.

And there is no way I am concerned at all with people on scooters getting preferential treatment. I have no problem at all with them loading on the buses first. I get why Disney does it that way, and I will defend them on that issue. My sister had to spend some time in a wheelchair during one trip to WDW, and you find out quickly how not fun/expedient it is.

I'm with everyone on the personal space thing!

Unfortunately I know from experience that my DH and DS are locked and loaded at all times, so don't get close to us! :rotfl:

I experienced this on the monorail from Chef Mickey's to the parks.:crazy2:

I'm always a bit torn on #3. I do agree it is nice if people offer up their seats to others if they chose to do so. But they should not be stared at or shamed into doing so. None of us know what is going on in the lives of the other guests on the bus. We have no way of knowing if that healthy looking man just had his knee replaced or had heart surgery.

I'm also torn because I think we all have the responsibility to see to the safety and well being of our own family members. If you have a family member who can't stand on a bus, then see to it that they don't. Wait for a bus with available seating, grab a taxi, or rent a car. Don't be careless with their safety and then get all mad when total strangers don't see to it for you.

My manner alert would be, please don't stop right at the top or bottom of the escalator. My last time at WDW so many people would step off of an escalator, and just stop dead in their tracks. Move to the side please!!! Don't cause a pile-up behind you!

Well I am going to sound off here. I teach my DS(15) manners. On our last trip, the bus was crowded and an elderly lady got on the bus. My son got up and offered his seats. Before she had the chance to sit down, some lady moved her child (who looked to be around 10) into the seat. I then stood up and offered the lady my seat and stared down the mother. I couldn't believe someone could be that rude.

I'm with everyone on the personal space thing!

Unfortunately I know from experience that my DH and DS are locked and loaded at all times, so don't get close to us! :rotfl:

I experienced this on the monorail from Chef Mickey's to the parks.:crazy2:

Ha Ha rare you referring to the passing of wind?? Let me tell you I have and the other night when we were at MK my DH wanted to do that so badly because of people getting in his space but he was afraid that more than wind would have happened (is that TMI?) It's just so frustrating when people push in between your legs !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter