Rancho has free refills

Malcon10t said:
I agree, but there are those who rationalize their theft by saying "It only costs them 25¢, and they charge $3, so that is $2.75 profit to this HUGE company, so big deal if I carry my cup all day and refill it over and over when no one is watching..." And they teach their child it is ok to lie, steal, and cheat.

I've worked at companies that do free refills and they are fine with it. The hope is that people who come back for their $.12 of soda buy something else. Or that attracts enough people in the first place that it doesn't matter if the minority come back a few times. People sharing and coming back often is part of the business plan; and on top of that they get to employ less people. It's not cheating if the company says free refills with absolutely no conditions, it's what they offered and expect.

Yeah, but are you ok with them asking for water cups and them proceeding to fill their soda cup, pour it into the water cups when they get to the table and then refill the soda? Something seems very shady about that to me...

starshine514 said:
Yeah, but are you ok with them asking for water cups and them proceeding to fill their soda cup, pour it into the water cups when they get to the table and then refill the soda? Something seems very shady about that to me...

That would be pushing it IMO.

If they are doing it from the alloted refill amount, which in this case is 2 cups, then no I don't see a problem with it. In an unlimited refill situation, it would be dishonest and problem.

Would it make people feel better if instead of asking for a water cup, people just ask for an additional cup to split the soda? It is not stealing soda. It is splitting the soda that has been purchased.

Why is it shady? If you've purchased a soda, paid $3 for it and then ask for an extra cup so you can share it, why is that shady? As has been stated these places allow 1 refill per purchased drink so even if you do that what's the issue?
that said, this isn't the way we do it, we share the same cup and same straw and yes, we share germs too.

I think there may be some confusion in the discussion, but we are talking about two different things here, IMO.

There is a big difference in taking a cup meant for water and filling it up with soda directly from the machine. This is stealing (again, IMO) because the restaurant has not planned on that soda going out. However, taking a water cup and filling it from the cup on your table already filled with soda, is not stealing. That soda has already been acounted for and therefore the restaurant won't care where it's going. Even if the original soda drinker choses to get their one alloted refill, there restaurant is not out any extra soda. This is assuming that the orginal soda drinker doesn't try to replace what they gave away, if that makes sense.

As for the buffet and the bacon example - if they offer bacon as a side on the regular menu for a cost and you don't order that and instead eat the bacon off a buffet eaters plate, than yes that is stealing. As was said though, if the buffet eater took 3 pieces of bacon, planning to eat them all and only ended up eating 2, so the othe rperson ate the last piece, I don't see the big issue. But taking 3 pieces with the idea buffet eater will eat two and table mate will eat one - yes, stealing. Obviously, there is some grey area in all of this and you have trust people and their intentions.

And cost has nothing to do with this for me. It doesn't matter if it costs the company $0.01 - if we haven't paid for it, it's not ours to take. But back to the soda - we did pay for it (both cups, however they are distrubuted in our party), so it is ours to decide how to use.

So true. Most people on this thread are either missing the point or not reading the replies.

Like you already stated, there's a big difference between unlimited refills and a single refill. The difference is that one business has more then likely accounted for the single refill in the original price while the other business is offering an added perk to 'PAYING' customers with unlimited refills.

I know that drink refills are handled differently around the country but here in Colorado, for the most part, drink refills are unlimited. Depending on the business, most soda machines are not behind the counter but in the dining area so customers can refill their own cups.

When I visit a business with 'FREE UNLIMITED' refills I purchase a cup and I fill it from the machine however many times I wish. In this situation I do not try and cheat the system by ONLY purchasing a single cup with the intention of providing soda to every person in my party. If people in my party want soda I purchase them their own cup, despite the cost of doing so.

Conversely, if I purchase a drink that includes one 'FREE' refill then I don't see the problem with sharing that drink. After all, the purchase price included the 'FREE' refill so it shouldn't matter how that soda is dispersed. This type of system also tends to have the soda machine behind the counter which requires an employee to perform the refill, thus eliminating the chance that a customer will try and cheat the system.

From what I have read in this thread both opinions are correct because like it has already been pointed out, we're talking about two different scenarios; a 'SINGLE' refill versus "UNLIMITED' refills.

I guess to me the difference is: two drinks vs. one drink with a refill.

To me, the intent of those are not the same. I believe a business owner calculates what percentage of patrons they believe will get the refill as opposed to those who won't. In this case if Disney offered two drinks and sold a soda (with refill) to 100 people they probably have an estimate of how many sodas they will actually dispense (pure guess, let's say 170). If they simply give two drinks, that's 200 sodas, quite a difference.

I don't think Disney's intent with "one free refill" is "two drinks." However, people are people and unless Disney specifies that both drinks must be drank by the same person, people will interpret "free refill" usage in a myriad of ways.

- Dreams

I agree with the above.

I see it as the company isn't selling 40 oz. of soda with a 20 oz. cup. They're selling a 20 oz. soda with one complementary refill should the original consumer desire it after drinking his 20 oz. Not should anyone in the consumer's party also want a soda.

But it's splitting hairs.

To me, the intent of those are not the same. I believe a business owner calculates what percentage of patrons they believe will get the refill as opposed to those who won't. In this case if Disney offered two drinks and sold a soda (with refill) to 100 people they probably have an estimate of how many sodas they will actually dispense (pure guess, let's say 170). If they simply give two drinks, that's 200 sodas, quite a difference.

I don't think Disney's intent with "one free refill" is "two drinks." However, people are people and unless Disney specifies that both drinks must be drank by the same person, people will interpret "free refill" usage in a myriad of ways.

- Dreams

:thumbsup2

As has been stated these places allow 1 refill per purchased drink so even if you do that what's the issue?
my "issue", which I failed to declare properly, isn't with those who share, and even share the refill. But with those who carry the cup for the rest of the day, and refill it when they pass Rancho or Pizza Port or Plaza Inn. Many will state "Hey I paid $5 for my soda (no you didn't, it was $3) and it only costs 25¢, so I am going to get my money's worth." I have seen them send their kids in to get the refills as they are less likely to get asked for the receipt. And they tell the kids to just say dad has it if asked...

However, people are people and unless Disney specifies that both drinks must be drank by the same person, people will interpret "free refill" usage in a myriad of ways.

- Dreams
Even if they do this, how many people would feel "They make enough, I can share my drink if *I* want to..."

I mean, look at the number of people who share park tickets and it CLEARLY states on the tickets no sharing...

Maybe this is off topic (?), but White Water Snacks at GCH has free refills on drinks if you are eating there.

My mom (no, she's not a child) ordered a kid's meal there. She mistakenly took a regular sized soda cup, and alerted the cashier to this when she was paying. The cashier said it didn't matter what size she took as long as she was dining in and not doing take out. He said that for dine-in, they allow unlimited refills, so they don't care what size cup it is. But for take out, you have to use the correct sized cup.

Hopefully, Grandma wasn't "stealing" ;-)

To me, the intent of those are not the same. I believe a business owner calculates what percentage of patrons they believe will get the refill as opposed to those who won't.

I totally get your point. But I am sure they also include/know that a % of customers will share & get a refill.

- Dreams

And that makes complete sense. However, if I'm only going to drink half (or less) then I won't buy a full soda. I am not a big soda drinker so I don't want a full one, I'd rather just take a few drinks of DBF's. The same with the kids, they really won't drink a full soda so we get them 1. (that's why I said I don't normally even get the 1 refill :) )

my "issue", which I failed to declare properly, isn't with those who share, and even share the refill. But with those who carry the cup for the rest of the day, and refill it when they pass Rancho or Pizza Port or Plaza Inn. Many will state "Hey I paid $5 for my soda (no you didn't, it was $3) and it only costs 25¢, so I am going to get my money's worth." I have seen them send their kids in to get the refills as they are less likely to get asked for the receipt. And they tell the kids to just say dad has it if asked...

And this makes complete sense as well. I've seen people do that too, drives me crazy. And no, it's not something we do either. :)

No one person should be drinking 40 oz or even 20 oz of soda. That is way too much soda for even adults.

Well I can agree with you that this is wrong and stealing. The refill is only "allowed" when you are eating your meal there. So in this scenario, the rules are being broken completely. They would be broken if the original soda drinker tried to refill his/her cup.

And this is why I said, I think so many of us were actually talking about different scenarios. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think the OP said anything about leaving Rancho and trying to come back later.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think the OP said anything about leaving Rancho and trying to come back later.
Nope, it was my brain jumping around. When I saw someone post the cost of 25¢ just reminded me of a scenario I saw yesterday at Pizza Port.

Oh gosh....am I the only one shaking my head over this??

I just don't understand how a helpful "they have free refills" thread has turned into a discussion on stealing, water cups, cost & business strategies & ethics.

Seems to me that if you purchase a soda you're entitled to use the soda however you see fit. Share it with all the kids, poor it on the ground for the ants, suck it up with a straw or divide it between 2 extra cups....you bought it, it's yours.

And maybe this is just semantics but doesn't it say "free refills"? Not "only 1 refill" or "1 refill at time of service in original cup drunk by original soda consumer, not to be divided or shared with others". Lol - sorry but I just HAD to go there.

Listen- most of us know right from wrong. Yes, it's wrong to carry around your cup & hop in for a refill whenever your on a nearby ride. That's like saving your mcDonalds cup to use for a refill everytime your thirsty & near McDonalds. Wrong. Just wrong.

So let's just do what we know is right & when in doubt- ask. Worry about your own self & your own moral compass & maybe, just maybe Karma won't be knocking down your door. ;)

This is an interesting debate. It seems funny to me that refilling my cup and giving it to my child would be stealing, but refilling my cup, taking one sip, and dumping the rest down the drain would not be stealing.

I also think it is funny that the managers could estimate a percentage of patrons who will want another 20 oz. of soda after drinking the first 20 oz. and carefully price that into the per-cup charge, but they cannot foresee the percentage of customers who will share 40 oz. among two or more people, and thus such sharing is not accounted for in the slender profit margins.

My guess would be that the spreadsheet jockeys know they could do things differently to prevent the stealing known as sharing. One option would be to move the machines to a CM area, as discussed above, but obviously they think it is more profitable to leave the machines where the sharing thieves can wantonly plunder them for a double ration of corn syrupy goodness. Another option would be to create a refill policy less amenable to jesuitical analysis, so people know exactly what is and is not allowed.

Bottom line: rules spoil the Magic, and Magic delivers on the bottom line. As long as 98% of patrons are polite, honest, and orderly Disney will look the other way for the occasional soda sharers, or line jumpers, or double bookers, or whatever. No point in alienating a [mostly] paying customer.

The free refill thing inside the parks is a but of a mixed bag. I have routinely gone back for a refill at Pizza Port and I have been told that refills are not included once. I think that person was mistaken, but you may notice that in all cases the soda machine is inside the cashier controlled area. My advice on free refills is that if this is important to you, ask before you enter the restaurant. I have had good luck with Rancho. It seems they regularly allow it.

As for the debate on "stealing", The soda you purchase is intended for a person. The refill is allowed as a convenience for those few who would like a little more. I seriously doubt Disney assumes everyone will get a refill. There is no way you are actually purchasing 40oz of soda in a 20oz cup. Is it stealing to split one soda? Only if you actually go back and get the refill and even then, it depends. Does Disney really care? I think not. In this particular case I believe the refill is a matter of guest convenience and Disney policy is allowing the refill without a restriction on who consumes it. It is only stealing if the company states a policy and posts a sign. There are interesting moral questions here but the heart of the matter is intent between buyer and seller. Is there an intent to deceive in order to obtain something extra, or is it being a savy consumer and getting the most for your money? Maybe it is neither and it is just about Disney allowing some leeway here to help make the guest experience just a little better ... I'm going with that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter