questions on boarding?

sam35

Earning My Ears
I was wondering about the boarding process. These is my first cruise and have been told by other cruisers that the security can be just as bad or worst than airline security. Is this true for DCL. I also understand that coming back trough US customs can be lengthy. What should I expect for both? Is there any quick way for these procedures?

Just a little impatient when it comes to security and can’t wait to start relaxing on May 8th.

I am on the Wonder May 8th - is that your cruise? From my recollections - my first cruise was in Dec. 03 - the embark and debark processes were very simple and did not take much time at all. The only thing I know that might speed it up - is to have the required paperwork with you (ID, tickets, BC) and to have all of your forms (payment auth, custom forms) completed beforehand. 12 More Days!

We have cruise 13 times on DCL.....depending on what time you get to the terminal could mean long security check lines....it is the same kind of system the airports use.....when the DCL buses arrive that is when you get a concentration of people. I still have never seen it as bad as the airports as there are only a specific number of people to go thru the line...unlike the airlines where there are many thousands going thru the lines at various times. We do get there early, though.

Basically what will happen is you drop off your luggage with the porters at the terminal and then proceed to the secruity scanners.....once through you go up the escalator and then get on the check-in line...again how many people on this line is determined by how many people arrived around the same time. Once you check in you get on the boarding line. Boarding is around 11:45 to 12:00. If you arrive at the port after 12:00 noon, chances are you won't have a security line, check-in line or boarding line.

We always arrive when the port opens so have never encountered any long lines at all and we are mostly in the first 10 or so on the boarding line.

The last night of your cruise you will attach new luggage tags provided by your room steward. You fill them out and make sure your cabin number is on them...then you put your luggage outside your door by 11:00 pm and the CM's will take them away and store them. Next morning your luggage will be in a secure area of the terminal and you leave the ship, go down the escalator and look for your luggage...it will be sectioned off by color and cabin number that corresponds with your colored luggage tag. You find your luggage, hail a porter if you wish and be on your way...there will customs agents that you will have to hand your declaration form to and that is it...there is a line only because most people are collecting their luggage at the same time....we have found that the when you use a porter they just seem to hand the form to the customs agent (keep your photo ID out and ready)...they look at the id quickly and you are out. The line really moves fast.

Hints would be to make sure your customs declaration form is filled out completely, have your photo I.Ds. ready....leave the ship either when it first is cleared by customs or wait until later...we usually leave the ship around 9:00 am or so and don't seem to encounter any long lines.....most of the lines seem to form at about 8:00-8:30.

Here is a link to a pic of the terminal after we checked in...as you can see there is hardly anyone around....my hubby and DD are about to get on the boarding line (first ones on line).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/249426676/249461837CevzZw

Just came back from the 4 day Wonder.

Getting on was fine for us. We got there early between 10:30-11:00 walked right through didn't have to wait in any lines except to board.

Getting off
A small lined formed to get off the ship. At 7:30 am they started letting people off. We got off about 7:45 am (had early seating for breakfast) walked right off. Found our luggage right away and walked right through customs. Whole thing probably took 15 mins. Very easy.

No problem for US citizens disembarking but non US told to report to Theatre at 6.00 am for US customs, including children etc. That made it a very long day as we were flying back to UK that evening. Rest of procedures for getting off were very efficient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter