Questions about Cape May Cafe buffet and Hoop Dee Doo...

DisneyLoverUSA

DIS Veteran
I just booked our November trip with the regular sit down dining plan and am making our dinner reservations now. Except HDDR. They haven't released those dates yet so there is nothing available yet.

My questions are this...Tell me about HDDR would you? It is listed as 2 hours long. How do they work that out? They seat everybody then start bringing drinks. Does the show start before they ever bring you the food? Does it take a real long time before all the servers get food out to everybody or do they have plenty of servers around to wait on everybody? At some point you get through eating and are just sitting there watching the show? And how would you rate the food? Good food?

And about the Cape May Cafe buffet. AT almost $50 per person that is extreme as far as price goes. I understand how they are able to give you all you can eat Crab Legs because they charge everybody so much to eat there. Is the seafood good quality seafood or did you not like the quality of the food there? I know everybody will have different opinions, just trying to gauge if it is worth going there. I thought about going twice because DD is a Crab leg fanatic and to be able to have all you can eat Crab legs TWICE during our trip would be awesome for her. We would go one night when they had fried Fish and one night when they had fried Shrimp. So what's your opinion on that place?

We did the Cape May clam bake for the first time on our last trip since we stayed at the Yacht Club. DS and I are both huge crab legs fans and we were both very happy with the quality and with the other selections as well. The wait staff had to remove the plates we were using to stack the shells after we ate them because there were so many. DW and DD who are not crab eaters both enjoyed the non-seafood entrees as well. In fact, we liked it so much it will be our first night dinner in August when we stay at the YC again :cloud9:

I just booked our November trip with the regular sit down dining plan and am making our dinner reservations now. Except HDDR. They haven't released those dates yet so there is nothing available yet.

My questions are this...Tell me about HDDR would you? It is listed as 2 hours long. How do they work that out? They seat everybody then start bringing drinks. Does the show start before they ever bring you the food? Does it take a real long time before all the servers get food out to everybody or do they have plenty of servers around to wait on everybody? At some point you get through eating and are just sitting there watching the show? And how would you rate the food? Good food?

And about the Cape May Cafe buffet. AT almost $50 per person that is extreme as far as price goes. I understand how they are able to give you all you can eat Crab Legs because they charge everybody so much to eat there. Is the seafood good quality seafood or did you not like the quality of the food there? I know everybody will have different opinions, just trying to gauge if it is worth going there. I thought about going twice because DD is a Crab leg fanatic and to be able to have all you can eat Crab legs TWICE during our trip would be awesome for her. We would go one night when they had fried Fish and one night when they had fried Shrimp. So what's your opinion on that place?

Think of a old western/pioneer town on saturday night, everyone is there for dinner and the show! The show being a troop of 6 players , who always arrive just a little late and make a noisy enterance!. They have a fun, corny show that goes on during your dinner.:thumbsup2

The food is good simple family home style cooking, chicken, short ribs, corn on the cob, etc.etc and really good strawberry short cake...drinks include soda, wine and beer.:yay:

At the end you will be strumming your washboard and waving your handchef with everyone else! If your lucky.........you will be part of the finaly!:rolleyes1

Its a great show and dinner, worth the money!

If you get the middle show, when you get out, the timing will be about right to stop by Davy Cocketts traven and get a beer or drink and walk the short path to the beach and watch the water barge light parade!:goodvibes

ENJOY! AKK

HDDR is awesome and I really wanted to book it for our Christmas trip, but rumor has it it will be closing for refurbishment for a few months.

Is this still the rumor?

According to the Disney food blog and MousePlanet, the long rumoured HDDR refurb is now a fact for sometime in Oct till late Dec. Sorry.

As for Cape May, many from the Atlantic States may turn up their noses a bit at the seafood offerings, but they are certainly not bad IMO. DH loved the crab legs while I thought they were just OK. But the rest of the buffet (seafood or non-seafood) more than made up for it.

Can only comment on Cape May and we quite enjoy it. The seafood is certainly not top quality compared to a seafood restaurant but for a Disney buffet it is quite good. My wife and kids really enjoy the crab legs.

We did Cape May last year and LOVED it. We have it booked again. It is snow crab but it was good and we ate our fill. We all like seafood and we were all happy. It is not the highest quality but it is a buffet and it is good. We are going back again this year. Actually DH requested it!

We are trying HDDR next week and I cannot wait. I just hope the kids like it (4 and 2.5)

I'm not a seafood lover, but my DH is so we planned a dinner at Cape May last trip. He loved it! He said the crab legs were delish as was nearly every other dish he tried. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed. Nearly everything I had was *so* spicy and heavily seasoned... I typically love seasoning and strong flavors, but it was just crazy heavy. Perhaps an off night though! We'll try it again!

Cape May Clambake is a must do for us each trip. The crab legs and clam chowder are delicious - really most everything is great as far as we are concerned. But, $50???? We were there in April and it was $35. by Disney standards we didn't feel it was too pricey for the good selection.

I'm not a seafood lover, but my DH is so we planned a dinner at Cape May last trip. He loved it! He said the crab legs were delish as was nearly every other dish he tried. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed. Nearly everything I had was *so* spicy and heavily seasoned... I typically love seasoning and strong flavors, but it was just crazy heavy. Perhaps an off night though! We'll try it again!

Too spicy??? :confused3 We always carry our powdered "cajun" seasonings to add spice. We don't find it spicy at all and we go 1-2 times per trip. Of course we cook with spices at home and don't enjoy bland food at all, so usually carry our Tabasco or powdered spice wherever we go.

Too spicy??? :confused3 We always carry our powdered "cajun" seasonings to add spice. We don't find it spicy at all and we go 1-2 times per trip. Of course we cook with spices at home and don't enjoy bland food at all, so usually carry our Tabasco or powdered spice wherever we go.

I know, it sounds odd.... I am not one for bland foods either - I love spice, heat, and strong flavors. This was just overkill though - my mouth was on fire after one bit of DH's fish, there was a pasta dish that had me downing nearly my entire glass of tea, and my sauteed beans had a gallon of salt. Like I said though, clearly something was off - either that night's dinner or my mouth that evening! We plan on trying it again. DH's seafood was great he says, but he agreed my beans and pasta were horrible.

Yes to Cape May. Of course we are always on the Dining plan, but I'm sure my DH would revolt if I decided to skip it our next trip. We found it a couple trips back and everyone loves it. We love our seafood and I'm impressed with the crab. I have easily paid $50 for half a crab that was not nearly as tasty. My hubbie just fills his "bucket" and eats about 10lbs of crab legs. I like to try the other venues and it's always tasty. We usually walk away very, very full. Oddly, we always end up with the same waitress and she is great. We aren't big on buffets, but this is one we go back to every time.

At HDDR the food starts coming out fairly quickly. They bring it in phases, first they brought our drinks, then dinner rolls, then side dishes, then fried chicken. I thought it was delicious. There are definitley plenty of servers.

Cape May Cafe was one of the better buffetts we have experienced at Disney. I would recommend it.

We did both last year and would return to both in a heartbeat! DH loved the crab legs at Cape May and I loved the fried shrimp (not served every night). We all had a blast at HDDR, especially when one of the performers sat on my FILs lap and made him blush!!

I went ahead and made our ADR's to go to Cape May twice during our trip. Once when the main course of the night is fried Fish (Friday) and once when the main course is fried Shrimp (Monday). If we go eat there Monday night and some of us don't really like it, we will just cancel our ADR for Friday and find some place else for that night. But I think everyone will love it.

I am disappointed we won't get to see HDDR during this trip but hopefully DH & I can go see it by ourselves if we go back adults only in February. What exactly is a refurb on a restaurant? Are the remodeling the inside of the building? You can build a building from scratch from the ground up in less than 3 months!

I have to say that we saw the HDDR the past two Februarys. In Feb 2011 it was excellent. They added a third show for Feb 2012 and we felt rushed. There are 6 people in my family and we all felt the same way. The first time we loved it so much we couldn't stop talking about it. We couldn't wait to go back. When we went this Feb it was much shorter and seemed like they just wanted to get us out of there. Very disappointing!! We are going to Disney in August and will not go back. Way to much money for the time and it was not 2 hours in Feb 2012. Less than 1 1/2 hrs.

we are doing the clam bake for the first time aug 23 just me an the BF.. how much is it now at value season? we wont have our dining plan until 08-25 when we check in for our 2nd reservation at POR.we were lucky enough to be able to do 2 nights by ourselves at CBR before we meet DD on 8-25. can't wait!!!!!!

We did both last week: the Hoop De Do on Saturday and Cape May on Monday night.

Hoop De Do was hysterical!!! The food, though, was mediocre at best. We enjoyed it thoroughly, but probably won't return.

Cape May, on the other hand, was delicious!!! Everyone, including my very picky 12 year old daughter, found something to love. (She raved in particular about the corn bread and mashed potatoes, though she did have some other things as well.) I had a ton of mussels, my husband loved the crab legs, my son loved the prime rib, and my youngest had I forget what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter