• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about bus transportation

oneyedsally

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm new here. First trip to Disney as an adult/trip planner (second time to the parks, went once for a few days when I was 10). We're going to WDW for 4 nights/3 days at the end of January before we go on a short Disney cruise in early February. There's going to be 5 of us - me, DH, my mom, DD who will be 4 and DS who will be 11 months.

My biggest concern is transportation! We're planning to stay at AoA in an LM room. I know it's a far walk to the bus stops but at this point I don't think we can change resorts or rooms because DD knows about it and Ariel is her favorite character. We are pretty fast walkers so I think we can handle that as long as we plan for it. It sounds like I should leave at least an hour before our breakfast ADRs at the parks? We've got an 8:10AM at AK (on morning EMH day) and a 9:35AM at Akershus. Day 3 is MK and we'd like to be there for rope drop. We're early risers anyways, usually everyone is up by 6:30AM even on weekends.

What are the busses like? I read that strollers have to be folded and out of the aisle, but do they go where you sit or are stowed in a separate area like those luggage racks on airport shuttles? We have the Britax B-Ready double and this thing is a bear to haul around folded. If I need to carry it up steps then somehow wrangle it to my seat, I'd better up my weight lifting regimen now. It's also at least 15" deep when folded - I'm actually concerned it won't fit under the bed on the cruise.

Is it worth it to try to come back to the room midday? I've seen comments that AoA is so far it's quite a haul. Since we're going in winter, I doubt we will need a break to get out of the heat and swim in the pool. It might be nice to rest between resorts (AK/Epcot on Day 1 and Epcot/MK on Day 2) and change clothes before dinner, but it's not a guarantee that the kids will nap in the room and I'd hate to waste 2 hours on travel time just to change my shirt. This one we will probably play by ear because they might nap in the stroller but I'm just hoping for an idea of what the timing would look like if we did want to come back.

Side question if anyone can help: My sister and her family are meeting us for the cruise portion. They are driving in so they will be leaving their vehicle in the parking garage. We are taking the shuttle from WDW to the port. Is there any way we could coordinate putting our double stroller in their car for the duration of the cruise? We've always flown in so I don't know where the garage is. Based on past experience, we won't need anything bigger than an umbrella stroller for the baby on the ship, which they can bring for us. We would also need to get the stroller back before we take the bus back to the airport. I was just thinking we could save on hauling it into our room and trying to cram it under the bed, but if it's more trouble than it's worth then we'll just deal. From what I remember or our last cruise, they really guide you around so there's no deviating from the set course.

It sounds like I should leave at least an hour before our breakfast ADRs at the parks? We've got an 8:10AM at AK (on morning EMH day) and a 9:35AM at Akershus. Day 3 is MK and we'd like to be there for rope drop. We're early risers anyways, usually everyone is up by 6:30AM even on weekends.

I am going to leave this one for someone else, but I would probably plan for about 1:15 minutes before your ADR since you need to allow time for waiting on any additional buses and/or bag check.

What are the busses like?

Strollers stay with the guests on the bus so you will need to carry it up the stairs and someone will need to hold it. You can find videos of the buses on youtube to get an idea of what it will be like. I would try for videos from the past year to be more updated.

Is it worth it to try to come back to the room midday?

I tend to take breaks, but it is usually decided on that day that I am taking a break, but 75% of the time I have access to a car. If a break is taken, then it is usually at least 3 hours including travel time.

As PP noted, strollers do go in the area where you sit, but they do need to be carried up the stairs and onto the bus. I also agree with PP on allowing 1:15 to get to meals. I'd even allow 1:30 just in case. I haven't personally been to AoA, but it does appear that it's a fair distance from the LM rooms to the bus stop.

As far as afternoon breaks...that depends on the kid. My son is 10 months old and still takes 2 naps daily. I've gotten him to skip a nap a couple of times that we've needed to be someplace, but I doubt he could skip both of his naps and still be OK. We went on vacation (not to Disney) 2 months ago and he napped fine in the hotel room. We're going to Disney next spring when he's 18 months old and I'm already building an afternoon break into our schedule. I assume he'll be down to one nap at that point, and if he does OK without going back to the resort, I'll consider it "bonus time" in the parks. We're planning to drive to the parks though, so transport won't take as long.

Ugh I was afraid I'd end up hauling this stroller onto the bus. It's difficult to even manuever into the back of my SUV, and although I'm not quite back to pre-baby shape, I'm a fairly fit person. I'll definitely check out the videos. That is an awesome resource I keep forgetting about!

Right now DS is so young (6 mo) that he just naps whenever and wherever. He sometimes has a hard time in super noisy areas but when we took him to a nearby amusement park he napped on and off in the stroller really well. I will also be bringing the Ergo if we really need him to sleep. DD is already starting to ditch the nap on some days, and it's more likely she'll fall asleep on the bus or in the stroller than at the hotel. She just doesn't ever want to lay down in the middle of the day. Problem is then she'll get really cranky by 8pm so then we miss out on night rides and fireworks. So I'd rather force the midday rest if I can, but I can see it completely backfiring and just being a total waste of time. We're already so limited on time that I'd rather not waste a lot of it traveling between the park and the resort.

The low floors only have stairs leading to the back seats of the bus, other than the step up into the bus. Standard procedure is for the driver to kneel the bus to minimize that initial step.

The current fleet is all low floors buses and then they have the articulating buses which are also low floor buses. The last of the RTS style buses was retired much earlier in the year. The RTS was the only bus on site operated by Disney Transport that had entry stairs.

ME buses are operated by Mears, they are standard cross country buses with entry stairs but have under bus storage for luggage and strollers.

The low floors only have stairs leading to the back seats of the bus, other than the step up into the bus. Standard procedure is for the driver to kneel the bus to minimize that initial step.

I did not even know that buses could do that! I figured people bring cumbersome doubles to Disney all the time, and I can't be the first one with the B-Ready, so there must be some way to accommodate.

Defintely need to fold up the stroller for the bus. As for a mid - day break, it's such a personal decision. We were just there for 3 nights 4 days, on our 5th trip. This trip was pretty much to catch our favorites and we did do break time, but it was August and beastly hot and busy. Our kids are older now, 12 and 8 and don't nap, but we go back, get a drink and relax and maybe swim a bit. Just need some time away from the heat and crowds.

We've gone in January before, and yes it's not as hot, or as busy, but our kids were younger and they needed a nap so we could do the fireworks. Even then we didn't do a lot of late nights. The parks are also not open later in the winter as they are in the summer. Now that my kids are older, we tend to be able to stay later, and sleep in a bit and don't get rope drop. You honestly can't do that.

I would maybe play it by ear and see how you are doing as the day goes on.

Remember that the odds are at some point you will be standing on a bus. The buses have more standing room than they do seats. So you will need to be able to juggle the stroller, all your stuff, and the kids while standing.

Remember that the odds are at some point you will be standing on a bus. The buses have more standing room than they do seats. So you will need to be able to juggle the stroller, all your stuff, and the kids while standing.
You can always opt to step aside and be first in line for the next bus, but of course you may have to wait an additional 20 minutes at some times of day. AoA is a single-stop resort and does not share buses, so buses should always start out empty. And there are chained queues, so you don't have to worry about later-arriving groups cutting in front.

I looked up a video of the new articulating bus and for some reason I was envisioning the coach bus style, like the ME or DCL transfer, but this is like a regular city bus. It makes it a lot easier honestly. With three adults and two kids, at least one person can man the stroller. It stands up well on its own when folded, we might just need to keep a hand on it. And I thought I was being really generous with the 15" but it has to be more like 20" deep when folded with both seats. The bus looks like it has plenty of space though, so hopefully we shouldn't run into any issues. I'd much rather bring ours than pay for a double rental at the park.

Yes, the buses have 'plenty' of space....until you get on at park closing. The buses are crammed full...people are squished up against each other. So, having a cumbersome stroller isn't going to be easy. Just be prepared to have to stand at times.

Every time we plan a trip, we say we're going to take a break.
Every time we go on a trip, we never take a break (at least don't go back to the resort).

As a PP said, you're looking at 2-3 hours in transportation time (walking from where ever in the park to the bus stop, waiting on the bus, bus to the resort, walk to the room, then return). When our kids were small, they napped in the stroller at the park.

We have the Britax B-Ready double and this thing is a bear to haul around folded. If I need to carry it up steps then somehow wrangle it to my seat, I'd better up my weight lifting regimen now. It's also at least 15" deep when folded - I'm actually concerned it won't fit under the bed on the cruise.

Why not just get two single strollers for this trip?

If you put the stroller under the bed for the cruise where will you put your luggage?

Where does your sister live? If you insist on this beast of a stroller, can she meet you in Orlando and get it ahead of time? It's not like you'll need it on cruise day. Know that depending on her PAT she might be ON the ship 2ish hours before you are, so having her meet you outside on the day of the cruise might mess with her enjoyment.

Any reason you're not all driving in together? Any reason you're taking the DCL bus instead of a rental car?

I will also be bringing the Ergo if we really need him to sleep.

Definitely do that.

I'd do that and get a single stroller for the older one and call it good.

Problem is then she'll get really cranky by 8pm so then we miss out on night rides and fireworks.

Do you *have to* do nighttimes at the parks on this trip? My kid is 12 and due to being on west coast time for most of our trips (we have longer trips and another family would be able to get used to it faster, but WE cannot) we rarely do the nighttime activities. Hasn't been that big of a deal to us.

The bus looks like it has plenty of space though, so hopefully we shouldn't run into any issues.

The bus, if you're alone, has space. But now imagine 1/3 of the bus having your stroller. Not so fun.

How about renting a car while you're there? No buses needed at all.

I looked up a video of the new articulating bus and for some reason I was envisioning the coach bus style, like the ME or DCL transfer, but this is like a regular city bus. It makes it a lot easier honestly. With three adults and two kids, at least one person can man the stroller. It stands up well on its own when folded, we might just need to keep a hand on it. And I thought I was being really generous with the 15" but it has to be more like 20" deep when folded with both seats. The bus looks like it has plenty of space though, so hopefully we shouldn't run into any issues. I'd much rather bring ours than pay for a double rental at the park.
The articulated buses have an empty space between the accordion and the 3rd door that is ideal for standing with a stroller. But, although artics do run between AoA & MK at peak times, even then most buses are the regular 40-footers.

If you have a really huge stroller, you can ask the driver to let your DH enter with it thru the rear door. It's not always feasible, but sometimes it can be allowed.

My kid is 12 and due to being on west coast time for most of our trips (we have longer trips and another family would be able to get used to it faster, but WE cannot) we rarely do the nighttime activities.
Am I doing my math wrong? If your body is on west coast time, wouldn't the fireworks that happen at 11p (for example) be happening at 8p to your body clock? I could see why you wouldn't want a 9AM breakfast ADR, but it should make staying up later easy.

Ugh I was afraid I'd end up hauling this stroller onto the bus. It's difficult to even manuever into the back of my SUV, and although I'm not quite back to pre-baby shape, I'm a fairly fit person. I'll definitely check out the videos. That is an awesome resource I keep forgetting about!

Right now DS is so young (6 mo) that he just naps whenever and wherever. He sometimes has a hard time in super noisy areas but when we took him to a nearby amusement park he napped on and off in the stroller really well. I will also be bringing the Ergo if we really need him to sleep. DD is already starting to ditch the nap on some days, and it's more likely she'll fall asleep on the bus or in the stroller than at the hotel. She just doesn't ever want to lay down in the middle of the day. Problem is then she'll get really cranky by 8pm so then we miss out on night rides and fireworks. So I'd rather force the midday rest if I can, but I can see it completely backfiring and just being a total waste of time. We're already so limited on time that I'd rather not waste a lot of it traveling between the park and the resort.

Did you use an Ergo or similar carrier with your daughter? The reason I ask is because I use one with my previously mentioned 10 month old son when we run errands, etc. His 24 lbs on my 115 lb frame gets heavy pretty fast, even with the carrier. There's no way I could carry him for the duration of a nap. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, when you have little kids, you likely aren't going to be able to do everything. I'm not planning any nighttime entertainment when we take our son at 18 months next spring. I am going to try to get him in bed as close to the time he goes to bed at home as I can. I'd rather miss the nighttime entertainment and have a well-rested kid, and I really don't want to deal with an over-tired, melting down toddler. We'll catch the nighttime entertainment when he's older.

Why not just get two single strollers for this trip?

If you put the stroller under the bed for the cruise where will you put your luggage?

Where does your sister live? If you insist on this beast of a stroller, can she meet you in Orlando and get it ahead of time? It's not like you'll need it on cruise day. Know that depending on her PAT she might be ON the ship 2ish hours before you are, so having her meet you outside on the day of the cruise might mess with her enjoyment.

Any reason you're not all driving in together? Any reason you're taking the DCL bus instead of a rental car?

Definitely do that.

I'd do that and get a single stroller for the older one and call it good.

Do you *have to* do nighttimes at the parks on this trip? My kid is 12 and due to being on west coast time for most of our trips (we have longer trips and another family would be able to get used to it faster, but WE cannot) we rarely do the nighttime activities. Hasn't been that big of a deal to us.

The bus, if you're alone, has space. But now imagine 1/3 of the bus having your stroller. Not so fun.

How about renting a car while you're there? No buses needed at all.

Everyone is coming from different places. Originally, we were going to do just a cruise with both of our families. Due to work schedules they can't do a long trip so we cut the cruise down to 3 days. They live in the South and can drive to Orlando easily. We are way up North and have to fly down so it seemed a waste for us, so DH and I decided to add a few days at WDW prior to the cruise. We were planning on just using Disney transportation for the whole trip, and aren't bringing car seats with us. If we rented a car for the WDW days, I'm not sure how to return it then take the DCL transfer to the port? I've actually never taken the DCL bus before, we took a taxi last time we cruised out of Miami.

Not sure about the two single strollers. We're using the stroller at the airport too so that's just one more thing to push with luggage, etc. We also prefer it over umbrellas because of the storage basket. At least with the B-Ready we can always pop the bottom seat off and leave it in the room if we decide we don't need it, which does minimize its girth. I have back issues and can't rely on carrying DS in the Ergo all day long, especially when he will be almost a year old.

We don't have to do nighttimes, and I'm not counting on it but I know they will enjoy Wishes. I honestly am not sure what to expect as far as timing, crowds, etc. It's been 20 years since I've been to WDW and honestly, at some parks we didn't get to do much because we didn't have a plan. DH tells me not to plan too much, we'll have fun no matter what, but it goes against my nature!

Did you use an Ergo or similar carrier with your daughter? The reason I ask is because I use one with my previously mentioned 10 month old son when we run errands, etc. His 24 lbs on my 115 lb frame gets heavy pretty fast, even with the carrier. There's no way I could carry him for the duration of a nap. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, when you have little kids, you likely aren't going to be able to do everything. I'm not planning any nighttime entertainment when we take our son at 18 months next spring. I am going to try to get him in bed as close to the time he goes to bed at home as I can. I'd rather miss the nighttime entertainment and have a well-rested kid, and I really don't want to deal with an over-tired, melting down toddler. We'll catch the nighttime entertainment when he's older.

I'm a pretty avid babywearer, even though I do have back issues that limit the length of time I can use certain carriers comfortably. I have just about all the types of carriers except a woven wrap. DD is actually just 28 lbs (she's a super skinny 3.5 yr old!) and I can wear her on my back for a little while, but not all day. Right now DS is still small, just 15 lbs, so I can carry him quite a bit and I do it a few times a week when DD is outside playing in the evening. I think the Ergo gives me an advantage over something else like a ring sling, in which I tire pretty quickly. I'm really just starting to get back into shape, so ramping up my core workouts should help with the carrier longevity.

The reason I was hoping for some nighttime entertainment is that when we went on our first Disney cruise when DD was 2, we were really hyper about bedtimes and missed almost all the shows and evening fun. Looking back, I think we could have eased up a little bit. She honestly did really well during the day - and she actually ended up being really sick on the trip too. A couple months ago she stayed up really late on vacation, and did fine during the day except for missing out on some fun because she napped on my sister's boat! If this happens in the parks, DH and I can take the opportunity to do some rides on our own! We're always pretty concerned about naps with her, but she often surprises us. DS we're not worried. He's happy no matter what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter