Questions About Adult Parties

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were on the ship I was very happy with how well enforced the adult areas were. When they brought the kids on stage for the final graduation ceremony we were shocked to see how many kids were actually onboard. They are kept so busy I never felt overwhelmed with too many kids in one spot at any one time.

I remember having the same experience on my first disney cruise. DH and I (actually we weren't married yet, he proposed on that trip :love: ) were alone and spent quite a bit of time in the adult only areas. On the last day we decided to go to the kids graduation...I don't know why, we thought it would be cute and we do really like kids. :) Anyway, we were floored when we saw all of the kids go out on the stage (and of course not every child attends this). I don't remember the exact number, but there were over 700 kids on that cruise. I never felt like kids were everywhere and I was impressed that we were able to have such a peaceful cruise with that many kids around. I agree, DCL is better at this than the other lines...even though DCL probably has more kids on many of their sailings.

I must say I am pleased to get confirmation that Disney enforces the line between Adult and non adult. It's one of the reasons we chose to take the plunge and go Disney this time. We are Childfree and prefer to be able to avoid children at all costs. In fact I plan on doing some additional homework ahead of time to make sure I stay away from the kids club areas as much as humanely possible..
Actually you might want to rethink your plans...it's a Disney cruise, and as such there will be kids, kids, and more kids in many areas that you cannot avoid. For example, expect the stage shows to be packed with them, and even if you are on the late seating, you still run the risk of having wild youngsters running around the diningroom (we've had that happen a few times and couldn't believe parents would allow it with the servers carrying huge trays of hot food etc.). They will be at all the deck parties in abundance. We are childfree too but I wouldn't cruise Disney if I didn't have some tolerance for them. I take it you're saying this with tongue in cheek, but if not then beware!

The good news is, even if you stay on deck 5 you won't even know the kids clubs are on the same deck. Well, almost...I do occasionally see the counselors moving them from place to place in the hallway, but that's actually a very amusing process to watch.

I must say I am pleased to get confirmation that Disney enforces the line between Adult and non adult. It's one of the reasons we chose to take the plunge and go Disney this time. We are Childfree and prefer to be able to avoid children at all costs. In fact I plan on doing some additional homework ahead of time to make sure I stay away from the kids club areas as much as humanely possible..

you may want to rethink....yes, DCL does their best but you will not "be able to avoid children at all costs".

During our cruise this past Dec., we were up on the top deck looking down at the adult only pool in the late afternoon. There were only 3 or 4 adults around the pool. We noticed one women bring a child in a stroller into the area who stayed at the pool for just about 10 minutes,and then leave. I don't know if she was supposed to meet someone there or not. Also while we were standing there a man walked down the steps to the pool area and went to the bar where he stayed for a short while. While he was talking to the bartender-I think he may have known him- his 2 children(about4 or 5) spent the entire time running around the pool, yelling at each other, and literally jumping from lounge chair to lounge chair. Neither the man nor any CM said anything to the man about his kids, which I couldn't believe. Now admittedly, neither adult with kids stayed more than 20 minutes, but I was a little worried about the adult only enforcement since this was our first cruise and this was the first time we went by the adult pool. I am glad to hear that this is not something we can expect on our next cruise.(Hopefully) ..Vicki

DCL's enforcement of "adults only" is one of the big reasons we've sailed them 61 times vs. only 4 on RCCL. Two of the RCCL ships didn't even pretend to have adult areas, and the two that did didn't even make a token effort at enforcement. My favorite horrifying memory was sitting in the giant indoor hot tub on Voyager which is near the exercise equipment and watching kids run from the hot tub to jump on the treadmills soaking wet. Yikes!

On Disney, when I see a CM chase away a child and Entitlement Mom gives them a hard time, I always make it a point to loudly compliment them. I remember the time on the adult beach when a couple brought a child who looked to be about two and LEFT THE TODDLER ALONE ON THE BEACH!! while they went waaaay out in the water. Uh, can you say "drowning hazard?" The child must have been used to it, as she just sat on the chair and screamed. After a couple minutes of that, I headed to the bar to alert a CM but saw that someone else had already done so. CM had to hike up pants and wade out to the idiots, who gave him big time attitude. Took their sweet time packing up their stuff, muttered nasty comments the whole time. Sad...most of all I pity the poor child, being raised by idiots like that.

It is stories like this that makes reizlize that you should have to have a licence to have children. Think Denny Crane is up for taking the case. I love Boston Legal.

Irresponsible parents abound.

I have seen a couple of instances of children being in the Adult areas, but not for more than a few minutes.

My daughter was trying to find us one day and walked into the quiet cove area to peek and see if we were there, a guest told her that she was not supposed to be there.

As long as the person was polite, which she was, I had no problem with them informing her that she was not supposed to be there.

I've been on 4 cruises so far, seen 2 instances of kids being in adult areas, the CM's did not say anything in those instances.

All in all, I think DCL does a good job of enforcing the Adults only rule - now if they can start on manners and dress codes....... ;)

It is stories like this that makes reizlize that you should have to have a licence to have children. Think Denny Crane is up for taking the case. I love Boston Legal.

Yep, Denny is my boy! (Not that you'd ever guess, hee hee.)

The only times I saw no enforcement of the adult only rules is at the cooking demos in Studio Sea....it has always said 18 and older but there are always kids in there...right up front. On every cruise we attend there are always a few kids with their parents there. I know they think "their" kids are the exception to rule!

I don't mind kids but I think the 18 and older rule should be enforced everywhere. If it is stated in the Navigator then people should abide by it.

We had a family argue with the CMs when they couldn't bring their 4 kids (looked like age range of 7 or 8 up to highschooler) into the "couples" gameshow in Route 66. I don't know why you would want to? :confused3 Some of the content was on the "risque" side and would be way inappropriate for the kids (especially their youngest ones!). We loved the show and really enjoyed being in the adult only atmosphere-it was very, very funny! I just couldn't believe the nerve of that family though- everywhere you read about the clubs it says "adults."

Also, the first time we sailed was on our honeymoon and barely saw kids. I mean, we SAW kids at their pools or at the deck parties, or sitting with their families at dinner, but we never had kids anywhere around us. DCL does pretty well with it!

I am not a complete idiot nor do I have rose colored glasses on. I did notice the Giant set of ears so I would be deluding myself if I expected a 7 days rugrat free festival. That being said: I will spend my free time in the adult only lounges, period. Dinner is the late seating and if we are seated with a family with kids we will request to be moved. It would be incredibly selfish and shortsighted of me to expect a completely childfree dining room.('cept Palos, of course)

We don't do shows so that's not even a factor. Don't do the pool side activities either. Own just about every Disney flick on DVD so don't need to watch anything under the stars. Will probably skip the Pirate Party altogether.

I am confident that we will be able to enjoy an adult centric cruise without too much trouble. If I find otherwise, then I will not sail Disney again and will return to those lines that do not offer kids programs which will lessen the likelihood of them being on board. But I figure if I can spend a week at WDW and not have my trip ruined, then I should be able to handle a week underway no sweat.

I do not mind properly raised kids acting appropriately to their age. I have a far LESS tolerance of idiot parents who think vacation means from EVERYTHING, inclduing teaching thei rkids manners or holding them to standrads appropriate for their age and delevlopmental skills.

I am not a complete idiot nor do I have rose colored glasses on. I did notice the Giant set of ears so I would be deluding myself if I expected a 7 days rugrat free festival. That being said: I will spend my free time in the adult only lounges, period. Dinner is the late seating and if we are seated with a family with kids we will request to be moved. It would be incredibly selfish and shortsighted of me to expect a completely childfree dining room.('cept Palos, of course)

We don't do shows so that's not even a factor. Don't do the pool side activities either. Own just about every Disney flick on DVD so don't need to watch anything under the stars. Will probably skip the Pirate Party altogether.

I am confident that we will be able to enjoy an adult centric cruise without too much trouble. If I find otherwise, then I will not sail Disney again and will return to those lines that do not offer kids programs which will lessen the likelihood of them being on board. But I figure if I can spend a week at WDW and not have my trip ruined, then I should be able to handle a week underway no sweat.

I do not mind properly raised kids acting appropriately to their age. I have a far LESS tolerance of idiot parents who think vacation means from EVERYTHING, inclduing teaching thei rkids manners or holding them to standrads appropriate for their age and delevlopmental skills.

Based on your email, I think you'll enjoy the Disney cruise. Yes, there are parents who are irresponsible and let their kids act up in public, but trying to find an adult-only cruise, doesn't mean you will be "kid" free. When we have the occasional date night and go out for evening to relax, it never fails that we end up next to immature overgrown children. This is why we like the Disney cruises, as obnoxious and rude adults seem far and few between. Yes, they do show up occasionally and it's frustrating when the Goofy pool is more relaxing that the adult pool.

The adult lounge areas are not restricted to adults only for most of the day. If you aren't going to be by the adult pool and you don't to be around a lot of kids, you'll be spending your cruise in your stateroom or in the Spa (which sounds wonderful, but may get expensive) or in the Cove Cafe (which I recall as being on the smokey side). Which is the other potential issue with the adult areas - at least some of them are smokey, if that bother you.

Also, even with late seating, you may be surprised at how many children will be in your dining room. The vast majority of DCL cruisers are families and late dining is filled with them. And it isn't always possible to switch tablemates, so you may get stuck with a family you'd rather not sit with - as several cruisers have.

Unlike KSDisneyDad, I think you are setting yourself up to be quite miserable.

Also, even with late seating, you may be surprised at how many children will be in your dining room. The vast majority of DCL cruisers are families and late dining is filled with them. And it isn't always possible to switch tablemates, so you may get stuck with a family you'd rather not sit with - as several cruisers have.

I agree. Go with a cruiseline like Celebrity. I can't even fathom why you would consider DCL.

I agree. Go with a cruiseline like Celebrity. I can't even fathom why you would consider DCL.

I agree
If you really want a less kids to no kids atmosphere you should look into these cruise lines
Holland america (during non school holiday weeks)
Crystal
Seabourn
Oceania
Regent

very true. Many West Coast cruisers with children choose late dining as its easier for them with the time change.

I also agree. There is NO way you are going to avoid kids on your trip. If I felt the way you do I would definitely choose another line.

why do you want to sail Disney?:confused3

very true. Many West Coast cruisers with children choose late dining as its easier for them with the time change.

Many East Coast late bookers end up with late seating because that is what is available when they book as well. Then there are people who just like late seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter