• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about trading points w/ another member

Kris517

Disney Veteran
My DH and I are recent SSR members and a friend of ours has points at Beach Club.

We want to book a trip 11 months in advance at the Beach Club and our friend said he is willing to "exchange Saratoga points for Beach Club points" so we can make our ressies 11 months out.

How do we do this? Does our friend call DVC and put his points in our bank and then we do the same for him?

Thanks for any help in advance!! We are new to this and my friend has never traded points before.

Krista :wave2:

The easiest thing to do (especially since you are friends and trust will not be a huge issue) is for your friend to make the reservation you need at the BCV at 11 months. Then you make a reservation for him at SSR. If the points do not come out equal, whoever "used too many" can either pay some agreed upon $$ amount per point or transfer the difference to the other's account. Best to do that "settle up" transfer via a 3-way conversation with MS.

Here's why transferring back and forth can get complicated:

You may only transfer points in one direction during the year. In other words, if you transfer points out of your account, you cannot accept a transfer into your account during that same year.

Transferred points retain their original use year and home resort. There have been some reported "glitches" in the MS computer with transferred points, so you will have to keep careful track of them if you want to use them at the 11 month window. Don't depend on MS to do it! Also, you will have to make sure the transferred points will be valid for the dates you want to stay.

You cannot transfer points that are banked or borrowed (but you can bank or borrow them after they are in your account).

Anyway, I think you see that exchanging reservations is a lot easier than trying to transfer back and forth.

Best wishes -

Thanks so much for the info! I did not realize that you can only do one transfer a year.

It would be easier just to make the reservations for each other...Thanks!!

Krista :teeth:

Originally posted by Kris517
Thanks so much for the info! I did not realize that you can only do one transfer a year.

Just to clarify, you can do more than one transfer in a year. However, as CarolMN said, you can only transfer in one DIRECTION per year.

This clause was probably designed to discourage people from doing exactly what you are attempting, but don't let that worry you. There is nothing improper about the reservations you want to make.

Krista: Sounds right. However, you should verify your time-line and restictions with Member services. I wish you guys the best.

Danny:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter