Question about special requests at dinners?

flea1267

DIS Veteran
We looked at the menus for the main dining rooms....and well we aren't in love with any of the choices....we wondered, can you make special request? For example, instead of Wasbai mashed potatoes can you request the Sour Cream mashed potatoes? Will they let you make substitutions?

Thanks so much! This is all new to us :)

The mashed potatoes are made in a very large bowl and prepped before the dinner seating begins. You might be able to request something like that the day before, but some requests may not be possible.

It is fairly simple to request a side from a different dish also being served the same night. If you want something completely different, it may be best to make the request ahead of time. You can also order food that is more "American Standard" from the children's menu.

We looked at the menus for the main dining rooms....and well we aren't in love with any of the choices....we wondered, can you make special request? For example, instead of Wasbai mashed potatoes can you request the Sour Cream mashed potatoes? Will they let you make substitutions?

Thanks so much! This is all new to us :)
If the substitution is with an item that's already on the menu, it's usually no problem. For example, you want entrée 1, but would like the side from entrée 2, that's usually do-able.

If you just want to order something that's not on the menu, then on the spot, it can't be done easily.

If there's something that you know you want, letting your server know the night before is the best way of getting something that may not be actually be "on the menu".

You can ask for a substitution of anything for anything else that is on the menu, plus if it's on the menu at one of the other restaurants as, at least on the Wonder and Magic, they do share a kitchen. Also, you can order off the kids menu (no one is going to judge you) and in my experience the menu's usually had an adult 'plain fare' option near the bottom where you could get plain steak or chicken.
Disney gets a lot of picky eaters. They have ALL the experience in pleasing them!
That said, I used to be a picky eater (my husband would say still am, but much improved). I found the Disney Cruise to be a GREAT way to expand my palate because I could order literally ANYTHING off the menu, even if I wasn't sure about it, and try it out without penalty. No one would judge me, I didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it, I wouldn't go hungry because I could easily get something else, and I wasn't spending extra money to try a bite of something I might not like! Try ordering the wasabi mashed potatoes AND the sour cream mashed potatoes! Who knows, maybe you'll like it!
Seriously, Disney Cruises are where I had my first french onion soup (awesome), first goat cheese (awesome), where I learned to like salads (awesome) and where I first tried escargot (no, no, never again no). I never would have tried these things in a regular restaurant, and would have avoided them at someone elses house so as not to insult my host by making an uncontrollable face if I didn't like them (you don't get invited back after spitting your food back onto your spoon, just sayin' and I used to do that all the time when I was a kid).

If the substitution is with an item that's already on the menu, it's usually no problem. For example, you want entrée 1, but would like the side from entrée 2, that's usually do-able.

If you just want to order something that's not on the menu, then on the spot, it can't be done easily.

If there's something that you know you want, letting your server know the night before is the best way of getting something that may not be actually be "on the menu".
Special requests should be made to the head server.

I've looked at the appetizer dishes and just so many of them have mushrooms or the like...they've already noted my food allergy to mushrooms and the reservations guy was very nice and said to just tell them that first day and they'd substitute whatever I wanted for the appetizers, or prepare a different kind of risotto (there's a mushroom risotto somewhere in there). I'm a simple gal so if they bring me a shrimp cocktail each time I'm a happy camper :D

But yeah, the reservations guy said to just mention it to the head server the first day and that way we'd be set for the rest of the cruise :) I'm sure with enough notice they'd be able to accommodate you.

I've looked at the appetizer dishes and just so many of them have mushrooms or the like...they've already noted my food allergy to mushrooms and the reservations guy was very nice and said to just tell them that first day and they'd substitute whatever I wanted for the appetizers, or prepare a different kind of risotto (there's a mushroom risotto somewhere in there). I'm a simple gal so if they bring me a shrimp cocktail each time I'm a happy camper :D

But yeah, the reservations guy said to just mention it to the head server the first day and that way we'd be set for the rest of the cruise :) I'm sure with enough notice they'd be able to accommodate you.
The head server will, I do not eat fish or sea food they accommodate you, you gave done the correct thing, the head servers also work the Buffett cabanas in the mornings.

The head server will, I do not eat fish or sea food they accommodate you, you gave done the correct thing, the head servers also work the Buffett cabanas in the mornings.

Disney Fantasy's advice, as usual, is spot on. The head servers are in the position with the knowledge and authority to make things like this happen for you smoothly and comfortably. A word with them works magic for a lot of things, including special menu requests.

We have always found them approachable and very friendly.

....plus if it's on the menu at one of the other restaurants as, at least on the Wonder and Magic, they do share a kitchen. ...

Each MDR has a separate galley, even on the classic ships. There is a doorway between Lumiere's/Triton's & AP's galley's, but they are completely independent from each other for the regular food. You can request something from one of the other MDRs when the rotational menu is used on the new ships as well, but this also goes smoother if you request it the night before.

Disney Fantasy's advice, as usual, is spot on. The head servers are in the position with the knowledge and authority to make things like this happen for you smoothly and comfortably. A word with them works magic for a lot of things, including special menu requests.

We have always found them approachable and very friendly.
Thank you, we have had curries, we have had Palo souffle served in the MDR, ask your head server thats what their there for.

Each MDR has a separate galley, even on the classic ships. There is a doorway between Lumiere's/Triton's & AP's galley's, but they are completely independent from each other for the regular food. You can request something from one of the other MDRs when the rotational menu is used on the new ships as well, but this also goes smoother if you request it the night before.
Agree.

I've always just asked my serving team if they could substitute one dish for another or have an appetizer as a main with great success. I've not had to involve the head server before.

Thank you, we have had curries, we have had Palo souffle served in the MDR, ask your head server thats what their there for.

In regards to ordering a curry one night, next trip I will have to ask the head server as myself and my other half really enjoy curries!
Also we both adore the chocolate soufflé from Palo and had no idea we could order that in the MDR's!
Is there a charge for it as it is from Palo and we will be in the MDR's?

There were a couple of nights that my kids absolutely only wanted pizza. They weren't on the menu. They still brought them pizza without a fuss. They were in a carrot and ranch dressing phase at the time, and the first night we asked if they would get that for the kids that night, not only did they do that, but for the following dinners, they brought out carrots and ranch for each meal before the meal was even ordered! My kids LOVED that!

In regards to ordering a curry one night, next trip I will have to ask the head server as myself and my other half really enjoy curries!
Also we both adore the chocolate soufflé from Palo and had no idea we could order that in the MDR's!

Has anyone else had success in ordering specialty foods not on the menu or food from Palo as a regular passenger before? And if so is there an upcharge for food from Palo whilst dining in the MDR's?

We sure would have ordered the Palo soufflé if we had known!

Not every request to have the chocolate soufflé from Palo served in the MDR has been filled. It's probably turned down more often than fulfilled. I would hate for the head servers to start receiving flack for saying no over another thing that was read on the DIS. Yes, it has happened, but those are PD moments more than something expected.

I tend to be what some would call a picky eater. (Is that enough equivocating for you?) I found something I liked every night on a 14 day PC cruise. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. And as someone else said, there's always a more bland option at the bottom of the menu.

I've always just asked my serving team if they could substitute one dish for another or have an appetizer as a main with great success. I've not had to involve the head server before.

With regards to a curry on a couple of cruises are serving team were all from India and one said he had worked in a London we got taking I said I liked curry and it went on from there. With regards to Palo soufflé my children had it three or four times, but I think they gave now stopped it. There was no extra charge. It started off with a discussion again re Palo and how was the meal did you have the soufflé and the children missed out and developed from there and we then requested it on the following cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter